Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Work in progress

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Work in progress Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Work in progress - 10/27/2011 5:50:18 AM   
Silvanski

quote:

ORIGINAL: polarenper

German OOB is more or less finished, as soon as i can force myself to stop combing through the sources for units like Wach-Btl.Siemensstadt, LW.Wach.Btl.Berlin or Versuchs-Abt. Berlin Spandau.

Yes, yes, I'm nuts,

Looking for obscure units? .....
In April of 1945, a panzerjäger-versuchs abteilung fighting was in Berlin. Its equipment consisted partially of VW Kübelwagen and Borgward IV equipped with Raketenpanzerbüchse 54/1....There is photo evidence of abandoned Borgward IV in the area held by 11. SS Freiwilligen Panzergrenadierdivision "Nordland" in central Berlin.

I read about another Panzer-versuchsabteilung which fielded a handful of surviving Pz I and II

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to samba_liten)
Post #: 61
RE: Work in progress - 10/27/2011 6:36:02 AM   
samba_liten

We will see. The Russians did land on a Danish island (which i decided to leave off the map, as any sensible player would evacuate the garrison asap)in the last days of the war. Apart from that the Kriegsmarine was practically the only navy active in the Baltic, apart from a few submarines.

السلام عليكم

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 62
RE: Work in progress - 10/27/2011 6:41:17 AM   
samba_liten

I've got two of these from Tessin; Versuchs-Abt. Berlin Teltow
and Versuchs-Abt. Berlin Spandau. I'll probably try to equip one of them in the way you mention.

The (or one of them, anyway) Pz. I unit was equipped with old Pz.I's with panzerfausts mounted on the sides of the turret. I've not managed to find a name for this unit though.

السلام عليكم

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 63
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/18/2012 11:00:38 AM   
samba_liten

I've run out of place names! Already!!

So, there is a rumor that the limit will be increased, right? Please tell me there is...

Anyway, here's what I've finished so far. It's a 30MB jpeg file. Oh, and ignore the units... They are but an experiment!

I hope to have the map extend to the Elbe in the west when it's done. I need to go a bit further south as well, so there's still some work to do here.

< Message edited by polarenper -- 4/18/2012 11:02:43 AM >

السلام عليكم

Post #: 64
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/18/2012 4:14:07 PM   
BigDuke66

Looks very promising, not sure about the names but some here should have more insight and maybe they know if there is a chance for raising the limit.

Post #: 65
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/18/2012 8:32:15 PM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: polarenper

I've run out of place names! Already!!

So, there is a rumor that the limit will be increased, right? Please tell me there is...

Anyway, here's what I've finished so far. It's a 30MB jpeg file. Oh, and ignore the units... They are but an experiment!

I hope to have the map extend to the Elbe in the west when it's done. I need to go a bit further south as well, so there's still some work to do here.

Placename limit will be increased. Map looks good btw. Keep it going!

Post #: 66
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/18/2012 8:50:20 PM   
BigDuke66

Could you tell us where the limit is and to what it will be raised?

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 67
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/18/2012 9:06:33 PM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

The current limit is 800 placenames. The new one will be 4000. That should suffice i would say.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 68
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/18/2012 9:25:37 PM   
BigDuke66

Woa 5 times more that should really be enough, do you know of other limits that will be raised?

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 69
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/19/2012 9:38:23 AM   
samba_liten

Thanks for the confirmation Telumar!
I vaguely remember reading that the map and unit as well as the event limits were due to be raised. Barbarossa at battalion level anyone?

السلام عليكم

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 70
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/19/2012 2:34:05 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

quote:

The current limit is 800 placenames. The new one will be 4000. That should suffice i would say.

I rather have only 100 place names *more than sufficient even for my Kiev, Kharkov & Mius series together* & 3.5 released before I turn 50... One of the reasons I am holding back on my two new scenarios *Kharkov '43 - Operation Star & Gallop is still being updated* is the simple reason that I have no clue what's going to change or being changed in 3.5. I don't envy the monster scenario creators who won't get a glimpse of 3.5 during the secrative beta testing phase :o

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 71
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/19/2012 4:12:19 PM   
BigDuke66

A good point, maybe a sticky topic with what is on the list for 3.5 would be helpful so designers can decide if the improvements make a hold in their scenario development necessary or not.
No need to release it when 3.5 makes a revision necessary.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 72
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/19/2012 11:09:26 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink...I don't envy the monster scenario creators who won't get a glimpse of 3.5 during the secrative beta testing phase :o

Klink, Oberst

I don't think you appreciate the weighty financial considerations and the threat of industrial espionage hanging over a product like TOAW. This has been explained before. They can't just tell the whole world what changes they are contemplating. What are you suggesting?

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 4/19/2012 11:18:20 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 73
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/19/2012 11:11:21 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

A good point, maybe a sticky topic with what is on the list for 3.5 would be helpful so designers can decide if the improvements make a hold in their scenario development necessary or not.
No need to release it when 3.5 makes a revision necessary.

I'm curious to see if 'improvements' should be in quotes or not.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 4/19/2012 11:40:56 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 74
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/19/2012 11:43:51 PM   
BigDuke66

And I'm curious if anyone sees thru the 2 former postings.

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 75
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/20/2012 12:06:14 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

And I'm curious if anyone sees thru the 2 former postings.

What do you mean?

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 76
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/20/2012 1:36:26 AM   
BigDuke66

What I mean? What do you mean by "'improvements' should be in quotes" and "weighty financial considerations and the threat of industrial espionage"?
If it is true what is being worked on of course these points are improvements, the other point is that I don't believe anything except an unreliable communication line between the guys(well anyone besides Ralph?) who work on it and the community leads to us standing in the dark on the state & aims of the current development.

Post #: 77
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/20/2012 2:09:12 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

What I mean? What do you mean by "'improvements' should be in quotes"

Changes that have been made in the past were not inarguably improvements. In the pre-Matrix era, AA shot down about as many planes as it historically did -- a bit high, but not bonkers. That was briefly 'improved' (someone 'fixed the error') producing loss rates that bore no relationship to historical reality. That was admittedly eventually rectified -- but at long as we're on the subject, at the moment we have no AA at all.

Supply units were altered so that they can no longer exert a decisive effect.

Changes were made so that 'sea roads' no longer work.

Hence 'improvements.' Many changes have been made. Granted, some of these changes were inadvertent -- but inarguably, not all were improvements.

quote:

"weighty financial considerations and the threat of industrial espionage"? ...I don't believe anything except an unreliable communication line between the guys(well anyone besides Ralph?) who work on it and the community leads to us standing in the dark on the state & aims of the current development...

Au Contraire. Curtis has argued that an NDA prevents him from discussing any changes that may be contemplated. I strongly suspect that if he inquired, he would find out that no one actually objects to him discussing contemplated changes. Of course whoever owns the rights to TOAW doesn't want someone making the entire source code or whatever public knowledge. However, that's not what we're discussing here. Then too, TOAW's not exactly a hot intellectual property to begin with. That lends a definite note of absurdity to the whole 'we're bound by the NDA we signed' argument. Has Curtis asked if it would be okay to list the proposed changes?

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 4/20/2012 2:13:47 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 78
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/20/2012 10:57:11 AM   
secadegas

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

Most probably i'm missing something... but sea roads never stopped working for me either under old or new supply rules.

Post #: 79
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/20/2012 12:24:13 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Anyway...let's not use the forum to voice our 'displeasure' about certain information policies (or the lack off). I teamed up with polarenper via Dropbox and so far we got 2.5GB of reference material of all sorts. It would be helpful and encorage our team spirit and cohesion if others would share etc. do the same. Hopefully, with the next version release of TOAW, a few of us can present some top class scenarios for the community.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to secadegas)
Post #: 80
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/20/2012 2:19:12 PM   
Panama

The proposed changes have been there for all to see since January. It's no big secret. Look at the wishlist. Here is a list of sections to look at. It's complete as of January 28. Not sure if anything has been changed since that date.

1.22, 2.221, 2., 2.30.1, 3.18.1, 4.16, 6.7, 6.7.1, 6.7.2, 6.35, 7.13, 8.1, 8.3.1, 9.1, 9.2, 9.5.1, 9.6.1, 9.15.1.5 & .6, 9.16.1, .2, .3, .4, 9.16.6.1, 9.17, 9.18, 12.1, 12.4.6, 12.5.3, 12.23.3, 12.25.7, 12.27, 13.7.6, 13.51, 13.35, 14.25, 14.26

Hmm...been thinking. Now I have a headache. But anyway, I might have left out some minor points. It's bee a few months so I can't be sure and I'm not going back through it .

< Message edited by Panama -- 4/20/2012 3:54:42 PM >

Post #: 81
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/20/2012 3:16:08 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Changes that have been made in the past were not inarguably improvements. In the pre-Matrix era, AA shot down about as many planes as it historically did -- a bit high, but not bonkers. That was briefly 'improved' (someone 'fixed the error') producing loss rates that bore no relationship to historical reality. That was admittedly eventually rectified -- but at long as we're on the subject, at the moment we have no AA at all.

There is only one way for Ralph to produce totally bug-free code: Do nothing. If you want enhancements - and that was what the whole Matrix version was about - then bugs are part of the deal. They eventually get fixed. There is actually no evidence that I know of that even the first was intentional. For sure the second wasn't.

quote:

Supply units were altered so that they can no longer exert a decisive effect.

Old Supply Rules still work just like they always have.

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 4/20/2012 3:17:19 PM >

Post #: 82
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/20/2012 5:07:26 PM   
BigDuke66

Sorry but a wishlist is a wishlist and as Curtis writes it is "not a commitment by Matrix Games or anyone else to implement anything contained herein".
I don't won't to know what everyone wishes, I would like to know what we can expect in the next patch.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 83
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/20/2012 8:19:42 PM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

quote:

quote:

I rather have only 100 place names *more than sufficient even for my Kiev, Kharkov & Mius series together* & 3.5 released before I turn 50... One of the reasons I am holding back on my two new scenarios *Kharkov '43 - Operation Star & Gallop is still being updated* is the simple reason that I have no clue what's going to change or being changed in 3.5. I don't envy the monster scenario creators who won't get a glimpse of 3.5 during the secrative beta testing phase :o

Klink, Oberst

Again.

Items in RED in the Comprehensive Wishlist document.

Post #: 84
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/21/2012 12:22:39 AM   
Panama

quote:

Sorry but a wishlist is a wishlist and as Curtis writes it is "not a commitment by Matrix Games or anyone else to implement anything contained herein".
I don't won't to know what everyone wishes, I would like to know what we can expect in the next patch.

That is a very incorrect statement. Items in BLUE have been implemented. That means they have been, well, implemented.

quote:

ORIGINAL Curtis Lemay

Attached is a zip file containing the wishlist document that Jarek Flis and I have been developing for months. It was developed by collecting the wishes expressed here, there, and everywhere. We've tried to be comprehensive, but, in spite of the label, that is unattainable. We'll try to continue to maintain it as more issues are raised. Hopefully, this will reduce the repetitive posting of the same wishes over and over.

It's very important that everyone understand that this document is totally unofficial. Be sure to read and understand the disclaimer it contains and repeated here:

Disclaimer: This document contains only a collection of WISHES made by anyone and everyone, and is not a commitment by Matrix Games or anyone else to implement anything contained herein.

January 1, 2012: Version 12 posted.

Note: I'm not able to delete the version 10 document attached to post #1 of this thread or the version 11 document posted in post #1378. Just ignore them till I can get it fixed - if ever. The version in this post is the latest version.

Note that items in red are new. Items in blue have been implemented.
Note: Those of you that don't have Word can still download a free Word viewer here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=95E24C87-8732-48D5-8689-AB826E7B8FDF&displaylang=en

Attachment (1)

im·ple·ment
   [n. im-pluh-muhnt; v. im-pluh-ment, -muhnt] Show IPA

noun
any article used in some activity, especially an instrument, tool, or utensil: agricultural implements.
an article of equipment, as household furniture, clothing, ecclesiastical vestments, or the like.
a means; agent: human beings as an implement of divine plan.
verb (used with object)
to fulfill; perform; carry out: Once in office, he failed to implement his campaign promises.
to put into effect according to or by means of a definite plan or procedure.

to fill out or supplement.
to provide with implements

So, unless the items in BLUE have really not been implemented it would be safe to assume that the items in BLUE HAVE been implemented and can be considered to be in the 3.5 patch.

Since the 'Wish List' has items the have indeed been implemented then the phrase 'Wish List' is a misnomer and not entirely representative of what the list actually is. What it actually is is a compliation of things people want to see plus a compiliation of the things that people wanted to see and that have been acted upon and made part of the game. This cannot be denied since that are items in the 'Wish List' that are present in 3.4.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 85
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/23/2012 7:44:16 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
quote:

Sea roads concern me, so I'll pursue this.

When the new patch came out, I discovered and pointed out that 'sea roads' no longer worked.

By that, I meant that one could no longer use modified units to 'bridge' a sea hex covering a major river hex with a blown bridge in it -- thus simulating supply to a beachhead that could only be maintained if the unit 'bridging' the hex could be protected. This has the advantage that it makes it possible to simulate which beaches are actually feasible landing sites at any given time. A landing at Anzio was a perfectly feasible undertaking for the Allies in February 1944. It would have been kinda impractical in May 1943. German air units would have been able to promptly wipe out the unit 'bridging' the sea road on the earlier date -- not so on the later date.

So at the moment I'm using 'sea roads' in this sense to govern which beaches the Germans can land on with some assurance of continued supply in 'Seelowe' and to control the amphibious potential of both sides in my Mediterranean/Middle East hypothetical. No taking Leros if Rhodes is still in enemy hands -- as the British found out in the Fall of 1943.

You acknowledged that sea roads no longer worked in this sense, defined it as a bug, and stated it would be fixed in the next patch.

Is that still the plan? Or did you misunderstand what I was discussing, or did I fail to make it clear, or whatever?

In any case, I'd like to know what your intentions are. Obviously, I need to know if the potential for 'sea roads' to work in this way is going to be restored.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 86
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/23/2012 7:55:50 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama

quote:

That is a very incorrect statement. Items in BLUE have been implemented. That means they have been, well, implemented.

quote:

ORIGINAL Curtis Lemay

Attached is a zip file containing the wishlist document that Jarek Flis and I have been developing for months. It was developed by collecting the wishes expressed here, there, and everywhere. We've tried to be comprehensive, but, in spite of the label, that is unattainable. We'll try to continue to maintain it as more issues are raised. Hopefully, this will reduce the repetitive posting of the same wishes over and over.

It's very important that everyone understand that this document is totally unofficial. Be sure to read and understand the disclaimer it contains and repeated here:

Disclaimer: This document contains only a collection of WISHES made by anyone and everyone, and is not a commitment by Matrix Games or anyone else to implement anything contained herein.

Note: I'm not able to delete the version 10 document attached to post #1 of this thread or the version 11 document posted in post #1378. Just ignore them till I can get it fixed - if ever. The version in this post is the latest version.

Note: Those of you that don't have Word can still download a free Word viewer here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=95E24C87-8732-48D5-8689-AB826E7B8FDF&displaylang=en

Attachment (1)

im·ple·ment

noun
any article used in some activity, especially an instrument, tool, or utensil: agricultural implements.
an article of equipment, as household furniture, clothing, ecclesiastical vestments, or the like.
verb (used with object)
to fulfill; perform; carry out: Once in office, he failed to implement his campaign promises.

So, unless the items in BLUE have really not been implemented it would be safe to assume that the items in BLUE HAVE been implemented and can be considered to be in the 3.5 patch.

Since the 'Wish List' has items the have indeed been implemented then the phrase 'Wish List' is a misnomer and not entirely representative of what the list actually is. What it actually is is a compliation of things people want to see plus a compiliation of the things that people wanted to see and that have been acted upon and made part of the game. This cannot be denied since that are items in the 'Wish List' that are present in 3.4.

You appear to be saying that we can divine what items will be implemented by looking at the list of what is claimed to already have been implemented and listing those things that actually haven't been implemented. Actually, you say that items that have been implemented haven't been implemented but rather will be implemented (in the 3.5 patch.)

Or is it the case that everything in blue that has been implemented actually hasn't been implemented but will be implemented? This seems rather...obscure. Surely the changes intended for 3.5 could simply be listed?

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 87
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/23/2012 9:32:54 PM   
Panama

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL Curtis Lemay

Attachment (1)

im·ple·ment

noun
verb (used with object)

You appear to be saying that we can divine what items will be implemented by looking at the list of what is claimed to already have been implemented and listing those things that actually haven't been implemented. Actually, you say that items that have been implemented haven't been implemented but rather will be implemented (in the 3.5 patch.)

Or is it the case that everything in blue that has been implemented actually hasn't been implemented but will be implemented? This seems rather...obscure. Surely the changes intended for 3.5 could simply be listed?

Don't hold your breath.

Post #: 88
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/23/2012 9:33:44 PM   
Telumar

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
quote:

Sea roads concern me, so I'll pursue this.

When the new patch came out, I discovered and pointed out that 'sea roads' no longer worked.

By that, I meant that one could no longer use modified units to 'bridge' a sea hex covering a major river hex with a blown bridge in it -- thus simulating supply to a beachhead that could only be maintained if the unit 'bridging' the hex could be protected. This has the advantage that it makes it possible to simulate which beaches are actually feasible landing sites at any given time. A landing at Anzio was a perfectly feasible undertaking for the Allies in February 1944. It would have been kinda impractical in May 1943. German air units would have been able to promptly wipe out the unit 'bridging' the sea road on the earlier date -- not so on the later date.

So at the moment I'm using 'sea roads' in this sense to govern which beaches the Germans can land on with some assurance of continued supply in 'Seelowe' and to control the amphibious potential of both sides in my Mediterranean/Middle East hypothetical. No taking Leros if Rhodes is still in enemy hands -- as the British found out in the Fall of 1943.

You acknowledged that sea roads no longer worked in this sense, defined it as a bug, and stated it would be fixed in the next patch.

Is that still the plan? Or did you misunderstand what I was discussing, or did I fail to make it clear, or whatever?

In any case, I'd like to know what your intentions are. Obviously, I need to know if the potential for 'sea roads' to work in this way is going to be restored.

Colin, sea roads, as described by you, will work with the new supply rules with 3.5
. With old supply they always did, btw.

Post #: 89
RE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - 4/23/2012 9:38:46 PM   
Telumar

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

quote:

quote:

Klink, Oberst

Again.

Items in RED in the Comprehensive Wishlist document.

Dang. Sorry. Items in Blue have been implemented. Those that are not in 3.4, but are blue, are in 3.5.

< Message edited by Telumar -- 4/23/2012 9:39:01 PM >

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Work in progress Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI