Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PBEM Help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> PBEM Help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PBEM Help - 8/18/2002 4:34:45 AM   
Deban

First off I have to say I havent slept since I got this dam game!!

Have a question about PBEM though. When someone sends me
thier save file do I have to save it to a particular file or do I just need to save it anywhere and go from there? Its probably a dumb question but Im not that computer literate.
Post #: 1
Re: PBEM Help - 8/18/2002 5:15:55 AM   
Spooky

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Deban
[B]First off I have to say I havent slept since I got this dam game!!

Have a question about PBEM though. When someone sends me
thier save file do I have to save it to a particular file or do I just need to save it anywhere and go from there? Its probably a dumb question but Im not that computer literate. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, you must extract the zipped save files in the "Uncommon Valor\Save" directory ... and that's all

After this, load the save001.dat - if you are the US player (combat replay) - and then the turn (saveXXX.dat with XXX the slot number) sent by your opponent

Spooky

(in reply to Deban)
Post #: 2
- 8/18/2002 5:02:01 PM   
Deban

Ok, so I must unzip all the game files into the UV Save directory.
But how do I start my turn again. Im sorry but ive never realy had to do all this on a comp before...Basicaly pretend im a 5 year old playing for his first time :)

(in reply to Deban)
Post #: 3
- 8/19/2002 12:02:27 AM   
Spooky

[B]Ok, so I must unzip all the game files into the UV Save directory.
But how do I start my turn again. Im sorry but ive never realy had to do all this on a comp before...Basicaly pretend im a 5 year old playing for his first time :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi Deban

How UV PBEM works ! (written by Rowlf)

1st Japanese turn: Japanese player enters password, gives orders, ends turn, saves game (to whatever number that was decided upon for the PBEM game). Then Japanese player zips the save-game file ("sav???.dat") and sends the zip file to the Allied player.

1st Allied turn: Allied player unzips file received from the Japanese player and loads the saved game. Allied player enters password, gives orders, ends turn, saves game. Then Allied player zips the save-game file ("sav???.dat") and sends the zip file to the Japanese player.

Subsequent Japanese turn: Japanese player enters password, gives orders, ends turn, saves game. Then Japanese player zips both the save-game file and the Combat Replay ("sav001.dat") file and sends the zip file (containing 2 files) to the Allied player.

Subsequent Allied turn: Allied player unzips file received from the Japanese player and loads the "Combat Replay" file, watches the replay, then loads the save-game file. Allied player enters password, gives orders, ends turn, saves game. Then Allied player zips the save-game file and sends the zip file to the Japanese player.

I hope it helps you

Spooky

(in reply to Deban)
Post #: 4
- 8/20/2002 6:54:04 AM   
Deban

Thanks for the info..
One more question...
If I have 2 pbem games running the Save001.dat file will always be for the game turn I just finnished?

(in reply to Deban)
Post #: 5
- 8/20/2002 6:58:23 AM   
siRkid

[B]Thanks for the info..
One more question...
If I have 2 pbem games running the Save001.dat file will always be for the game turn I just finnished? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes. I always only unzip one game at a time. I do the turn zip up the save and send it off before unzipping the next game.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Deban)
Post #: 6
- 8/20/2002 6:58:58 AM   
Spooky

[B]Thanks for the info..
One more question...
If I have 2 pbem games running the Save001.dat file will always be for the game turn I just finnished? [/B][/QUOTE]

If your are the Japanese player : yes - since the save001.dat will be generated on your PC

If you are the US player : it will be the last sent by anyone of your opponents

(in reply to Deban)
Post #: 7
- 8/20/2002 7:10:41 AM   
Deban

Dam that was a quick response..
You guys ROCK!!!!
Now back to watching all my transports become sub bait :)

(in reply to Deban)
Post #: 8
- 8/20/2002 7:37:12 AM   
denisonh

Well some peoples lives now consist of either playing PBEM games, or cruising the Forum to kill time between turns (Like me for example).

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to Deban)
Post #: 9
- 8/20/2002 9:35:22 AM   
Deban

Yeah I see to be doing that also..
Another PBEM question...
Can you patch will in mid PBEM?
Im playing 2 games right now..both only about 10-15 turns in. Can we patch to 1.3 and not have to start over?

David

(in reply to Deban)
Post #: 10
- 8/20/2002 9:55:58 AM   
denisonh

I have patched midway through on my PBEMs. I have patched twice on one of the games. No noticeable problems.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to Deban)
Post #: 11
- 8/20/2002 9:57:03 AM   
Deban

Do both players need to be running the same version?

(in reply to Deban)
Post #: 12
- 8/20/2002 10:07:06 AM   
Reiryc

Yes both need to be on same version...

So if you patch then conduct your turn, tell your oponent that you upgraded to the latest game version before he plays.

Reiryc

(in reply to Deban)
Post #: 13
- 8/20/2002 5:19:22 PM   
siRkid

[B]Yeah I see to be doing that also..
Another PBEM question...
Im playing 2 games right now..both only about 10-15 turns in. Can we patch to 1.3 and not have to start over?

David [/B][/QUOTE]

Matrix sometimes recommends starting over but I have been in a PBEM game with Crocky for around 6 months now (260+ turns). We started during the early beta testing and are still at it. I have not noticed any major problems. Sometimes the bug that was fixed can have a major impact on the game like the carriers not bombing land targets. If you are willing to accept this, then play on. It all balances out in the end.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Deban)
Post #: 14
- 8/21/2002 1:49:49 AM   
Supervisor

[B]Yeah I see to be doing that also..
Another PBEM question...

David [/B][/QUOTE]As far as I know, only the db changes that have occurred in any new patch will not be incorporated in your new game. I haven't had any problems otherwise with upgrading while "in progress".

(in reply to Deban)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> PBEM Help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI