Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 9/11/2002 6:54:27 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

Kanon Fodder posted:

"6 pounder guns vs machine guns for the "female""

Close enough. Any tank armed with a cannon was described as 'male'. Tanks with MGs only were 'female'.

Eric Maietta

(in reply to Orzel Bialy)
Post #: 121
RE: - 2/28/2004 11:47:44 AM   
Bladrian

Here's an interesting one: what was the last war in which troops wore chainmail?

(in reply to AbsntMndedProf)
Post #: 122
RE: RE: - 3/13/2004 7:18:38 AM   
mine_field

In regards to the chainmail question, I have a debatable answer that the flak jackets worn in WWII bombers were of a similar construction to a type of mail armor with plates, mind you it wasn't exactly chainmail.

Here's a question-- no Internet or Google allowed. I saw it on Discovery channel but have no immediate resources to back it up. The answer is either right or wrong though.

What mammal was considered for use in 'fire bombing' Germany? Live tests were carried out, but the plan was eventually scrapped and never made it past the allied country's border.

Hint: The animal was chosen for its tendency to go to dark recesses such as those found in a factory.

Edit: Go ahead and use the 'Net and see if you can find it. I'll give more hints if this actually is something someone is reading and is curious about.

< Message edited by mine_field -- 3/13/2004 2:21:58 PM >

(in reply to Bladrian)
Post #: 123
RE: RE: - 3/14/2004 8:49:26 PM   
Hades Strikes Back

bats

You sunk my M4.
565 post with Hades.

(in reply to mine_field)
Post #: 124
RE: RE: - 3/14/2004 11:02:35 PM   
mine_field

Bats is correct *ding ding ding*.
I won't bother to look up the details currently, but the plan was to strap a small incendiary device to the bats (since bats carry their young on their bellies anyway) and set a timer to go off some hours later. You then collect several hundred bats, make them cold and restful, strap them up, put the cages in a bomber, and go over your target. Upon release, the bats are supposed to wake up, fly off and find cozy homes for the night. In the morning great areas of the bomb site would be on fire.

The tests were less than successful (perhaps fortunately for bats everywhere). Most bats just left bat craters in the ground. Perhaps they weren't awake enough. The test was cancelled as it was near the end of the war, and the test was already under heat form various people. The test did prove that the method could work; one US building not intended to be part of the test burned down a day after the test.

(in reply to Hades Strikes Back)
Post #: 125
RE: RE: - 5/6/2004 6:51:04 AM   
Major Destruction

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bladrian

Here's an interesting one: what was the last war in which troops wore chainmail?

French troops wore chain mail in world war 1

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Bladrian)
Post #: 126
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI