Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 1/30/2011 9:32:57 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Thomas

Thanks Igard, for creating Star Trek mods.

Are there any AARs on your Star Trek mods? In the games you've played so far, what were some of the differences from vanilla DW (aside from the obvious ones)? Thanks in advance

I don't think anyone's made any AARs yet. It would be pretty cool, I've played a couple of games where I've wished I took a few screenshots.

I think it's very much still a fact that alot of the differences aren't yet deep enough. Once we can edit the tech tree this should be much better. Sure, the races all act roughly the same as the ones their based on in the series, but they are all still handled the same way by the AI. Of course the Klingons build lots of ships and are pretty nasty just as they should be in this era, but are they any different from say, the Boskara?

This is where race dialogue comes in useful. It gives a little bit more depth to the races. The racial biases help us to form relationships that are much more believable. So the Feds will find it very hard in this era to get into a free trade agreement with the Romulans. Also something I'm working on for each mod, is an extra shipset folder that's unused by any race. Using this we can design class variants with their own unique image, just adding that little bit more than what vanilla has to offer.

(in reply to Marshall Thomas)
Post #: 91
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 2/7/2011 10:46:42 AM   
Caesar_Augustus

Salve, Igard, Imperator!

A question: with your kind permission, I've slightly altered your Kirk-era mod to consider the Constitution-class heavy cruiser as the "cruiser-class", rather than the "capitalship-class", and have placed a Federation-class dreadnought shipset in place of the "capitalship-class."

Works perfectly, but I've noticed that the other Federation shipsets do not show stellar exhaust when moving (which is just fine and I kind of prefer it for Star Trek vessels) but my Federation-class dreadnought does show stellar exhaust when moving. I cannot figure out why, but I would prefer to not show the exhaust, just like the other Fed shipsets. Is this moddable somewhere... we wonders, my preciousssss?

Thank you!

< Message edited by Caesar_Augustus -- 2/7/2011 10:47:36 AM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 92
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 2/7/2011 11:06:24 AM   
Caesar_Augustus

EDIT: Actually, after looking more closely at the enginethrust effects folder, it appears that engine exhaust is game default according to the type of engine a given ship has.

So I will have a much closer look at the other Fed ships to see if I can see engine thrust colours. If so, then it is most probable that the Federation-class DN, used as a "capitalship-class", shows a different, and more visible, engine thrust than the other Fed ships... Still, if this can somehow be modded, it would be nice to know...

(in reply to Caesar_Augustus)
Post #: 93
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 2/7/2011 11:23:29 AM   
Data

and behold, a new modder rises

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

Post #: 94
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 2/7/2011 11:33:16 AM   
Caesar_Augustus

Who me?? Goodness gracious, no! I do enjoy tinkering, though

I'm just a humble and benevolent Emperor... you see, who now and again blows up certain ungrateful, obstinate, obtuse, obnoxious and rebellious planets, with a fully armed and opertional battlestation... To maintain order in the galaxy, mind...

Update: I do not see any engine exhaust in the other Fed ships, only my Federation-class DN capitalship. I wonder why this is so?? Any clues, Mr. Data?

< Message edited by Caesar_Augustus -- 2/7/2011 11:37:15 AM >

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 95
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 2/7/2011 11:50:21 AM   
Data

I'm clueless tbh, I've not played with this....knwoing there are guys out there like Igard or Lordxorn or WoodMan (and many more) makes me wanna explore their stuff more than creating my own. I think one of these teachers will shed some light on the exhaust

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

Post #: 96
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 2/7/2011 12:26:12 PM   
Igard

Caesar, it's good to hear you're having fun and experimenting with things. Have a look at the customization guide for more details, though it's not up to date with RotS expansion :- ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/DistantWorlds/DistantWorlds-Customization_Guide.zip

The engine exhausts are added by drawing a line of pure blue (0,0,255) horizontally on the ship image. This means that if your ship has any strong blue colouring, it might produce an undesired engine exhaust. You might have to tweak the colours a little bit to get rid of the blue in the image. I'd be more than happy to help further, just let me know.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 97
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 2/7/2011 12:55:50 PM   
Caesar_Augustus

Oh, thanks a lot, Igard! I forgot all about the Customization guide! This should do it. Will try it out as soon as possible

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 98
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 2/7/2011 2:02:55 PM   
Caesar_Augustus

Well, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I've only changed the blue horizontal lines at the very end of the three engine nacelles to black, but now the ship appears to be enclosed in a white box, and I cannot for the life of me get rid of it...

Oh, Imperator, Igard, come to my aid...

< Message edited by Caesar_Augustus -- 2/7/2011 2:03:56 PM >

Post #: 99
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 2/7/2011 2:17:31 PM   
Igard

It sounds like you've not got an alpha-channel (transparency) on the image. What software are you using to edit with?

Post #: 100
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 2/7/2011 2:24:39 PM   
Caesar_Augustus

Windows 7 paint.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 101
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 2/7/2011 2:47:52 PM   
Igard

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think paint has transparency. You can download GIMP, which is completely free. That's what I use, here :- http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Open your image in GIMP and go to layers -> transparency -> Add Alpha Channel. You can then select whatever you want and delete it. This should show a grey and white checkered background. That means it's transparent.

If you like, you can PM me with the ship image, you might have to zip it. I'll take a look at it for you and fix it up if you want.

Post #: 102
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 2/7/2011 3:04:16 PM   
Caesar_Augustus

Thanks much! I'll try out GIMP and see what happens... I'll get back to you

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 103
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 2/7/2011 3:57:03 PM   
Caesar_Augustus

I'm fiddling with GIMP, Igard, but I cannot seem to select the white outline of the ship to make it transparent...
Please pardon my ignorance. My version of GIMP installed in Spanish (I live in Spain, you know), but I am completely bilingual.

I'm following your instructions, but I daresay I'm missing something.

I may indeed have to pm you and see what you can do! But I still would like to know what I'm doing wrong to correct myself

< Message edited by Caesar_Augustus -- 2/7/2011 3:58:07 PM >

Post #: 104
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 2/7/2011 5:39:47 PM   
Caesar_Augustus

I've got it, finally!!! After much trial and error

Post #: 105
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 2/7/2011 8:19:53 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard
Open your image in GIMP and go to layers -> transparency -> Add Alpha Channel. You can then select whatever you want and delete it. This should show a grey and white checkered background. That means it's transparent.

I did not know that. I have been cutting and pasting all this time onto a transparent background. This is much easier.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 106
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 2/7/2011 9:00:25 PM   
Igard

Glad to hear that Caesar.  Sorry I had to run off for a few hours.

Remember I'm always looking for extra ship images to include in the mod, so if you want me to put this in for the next update, just PM it to me.

TJ, sometimes it's easier to paste onto a transparent background. It just depends what you're working with.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 107
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 2/7/2011 11:13:15 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

TJ, sometimes it's easier to paste onto a transparent background. It just depends what you're working with.

Well, you have given me a new tool, and one that could save me a whole lot of time... thank you. Your way, is better than my own.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 108
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 5/1/2011 11:06:32 PM   
Igard

Betelgeusian preview.

For those unfamiliar, this is an Avian race. The ship images that I found for them appear to be made for an insectoid race, but I figured that if I could smooth them out a bit and remove that 'insect' appearance, they'd make a nice ship set for the well named, Betelgeusians.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 109
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 5/2/2011 5:20:34 AM   
Data

Ahh, the silent hum of the working modder. Glad to check your work on these chilling designs

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 110
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 5/2/2011 11:22:39 AM   
Caesar_Augustus

As always, very fine work, my dear Mr. Igard. I was not familiar with this race in the Kirk-era... Is it "canon" or "pseudo-canon?" In any case, you are a veritable living Star Trek encyclopaedia!

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 111
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 5/2/2011 12:46:47 PM   
Igard

Cheers guys.

Caesar, they're a canon race from the motion picture era, but they were part of the Federation in that time, so I've added them to this era instead. This era needs a few more races anyway. http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Betelgeusian

Mr Data, I think by 'chilling', you mean in an evil sort of way? They're supposed to be good guys, but I think I need to tweak some of the colours to make them a bit friendlier. Some of them look quite aggressive and insect-like, so I'll need to work on that a bit.

Post #: 112
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 5/2/2011 2:20:14 PM   
Data

Spot on, Igard

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 113
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 5/2/2011 3:36:00 PM   
Igard

I could try giving these ships to the Jaradan- http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Jarada

That would be the easiest thing to do. I'll then just have to find some more 'bird-like' ships for the Betelgeusians.

Then we'll end up with 2 new races for this era!

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 114
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 5/2/2011 3:43:46 PM   
Data

Surprisingly enough, even I do remember the Jaradan
Please do take the easy route if that means having two races instead of one...as it should be anyway, canon must be observed at all times

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 115
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 5/2/2011 3:57:38 PM   
Caesar_Augustus

Goodness, it seems that while watching "Star Trek", I've been somewhat lost in a "galaxy far, far away"... I don't remember either of these races . Well, it could very well be that I may not have seen the TNG episodes to which these races apparently belong. Guess I need to watch some more and get more up-to-date; it's sort of starting fresh and anew!

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 116
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 5/2/2011 4:27:05 PM   
Data

Every excuse to watch it again is good enough
I'm talking about my self here, don't want to pass judgments on others (disclaimer done)

Post #: 117
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 5/2/2011 8:22:03 PM   
Igard

I don't think the Jaradan were ever on screen, but according to that link I posted, they look something like wasps. I'll see what I can do there.

As for the Betelgeusians, I'll have to find some bird-like ships. I don't think we could accept them flying anything else.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 118
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 5/2/2011 8:46:32 PM   
Data

bird-like ships? of romulan design maybe? you'll anex them as well

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 119
RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 - 5/2/2011 8:58:29 PM   
Tophat1815

Greetings once again,been gone awhile. Some really nice work done while i have been out and about. So how do the races pay in-game? Does it have a Trek feel?

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [REL] Kirk Era - Star Trek v1.1 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI