Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

VERY HOT WHAT DOES Error Code: 1x740 MEAN

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> Tech Support >> VERY HOT WHAT DOES Error Code: 1x740 MEAN Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
VERY HOT WHAT DOES Error Code: 1x740 MEAN - 12/5/2010 7:38:04 PM   
Istandandfight

Is there somebody there ? I originally left this message on dec, the 5th. I'm editing it on the 26th in the faint hope that someone will notice it, and help me. So far, contacts with support did not go well either.

Original message :

Hello,

I have a legit installation of Harpoon CE (installed with the mammoth file called "Ultimate Edition"). It seemed to work at first (I remember I launched it after install, and it ran OK), but now there is an error message :

There was an error in attempting to verify your serial number. Please contact support at support@matrixgames.com for assistance. Error Code: 1x740

What's going on ? TIA

Jérôme "Wolfie" Louvel aka Istandandfight

< Message edited by Istandandfight -- 12/26/2010 4:39:11 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: VERY HOT WHAT DOES Error Code: 1x740 MEAN - 12/27/2010 10:47:25 PM   
amityville

You're not the only one. There's another unanswered post somewhere about on the topic, and I'll chip in and make it three with that error message.

I installed a perfectly legit version that I paid for and downloaded this evening from the European shop, with the promo code for having an earlier edition. It seemed to install fine until I actually ran it, when after selecting 'play' from the autorun screen the error message above came up.

After the debacle of trying and failing to get the earlier edition I'd bought ever to run on Windows 7 this isn't giving me a very good impression of the whole setup here, and neither are the unanswered posts on the subject.

(in reply to Istandandfight)
Post #: 2
RE: VERY HOT WHAT DOES Error Code: 1x740 MEAN - 12/28/2010 12:29:51 AM   
jdkbph

Hmmm... sounds like some kind of verification traffic is being interrupted. Have you tried disabling your AV and firewalls (including Windows firewall) temporarily to see if you can get past that error?

JD

(in reply to amityville)
Post #: 3
RE: VERY HOT WHAT DOES Error Code: 1x740 MEAN - 12/28/2010 2:39:15 AM   
TonyE

How are you running/launching HC? Please be specific as to what shortcut or what executable,...

Please try using Windows Explorer to go to the folder to which you installed the game and running Winharp32.exe.

What do you get then?

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to jdkbph)
Post #: 4
RE: VERY HOT WHAT DOES Error Code: 1x740 MEAN - 12/28/2010 2:39:50 AM   
TonyE

Oh, and there is no verification traffic, the verification is done entirely locally, no calling home via the Internet.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 5
RE: VERY HOT WHAT DOES Error Code: 1x740 MEAN - 12/28/2010 10:16:34 PM   
amityville

Ok, the startup problem is fixed. This turns out to have been from running the program when logged in without administrator privileges.

Unfortunately now HUCE is back to the same old problem I had with HCE. The program literally doesn't survive first contact with the enemy. As soon as there's a hostile contact the entire window freezes and can only be shut down through Task Manager. I had put this down to it not being compatible with running natively on Windows 7, but can anyone shed any light?

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 6
RE: VERY HOT WHAT DOES Error Code: 1x740 MEAN - 12/28/2010 11:41:35 PM   
jdkbph

I run both CE and ANW on my Win7 rig with no issues. I do have UAC shut off however.

(in reply to amityville)
Post #: 7
RE: VERY HOT WHAT DOES Error Code: 1x740 MEAN - 12/30/2010 5:09:34 PM   
TonyE

quote:

ORIGINAL: amityville
Unfortunately now HUCE is back to the same old problem I had with HCE. The program literally doesn't survive first contact with the enemy. As soon as there's a hostile contact the entire window freezes and can only be shut down through Task Manager. I had put this down to it not being compatible with running natively on Windows 7, but can anyone shed any light?

I develop (program) the game on Windows 7 64-bit and compile it to a 32-bit executable on that same setup so it is definitely capable of running on Windows 7. As with jdkbph I always run with an administrative account and UAC turned off but I just set up a test environment as a standard user and the default UAC turned on (one notch from the top). I have no issues.

Can you perhaps provide some more detail? Screen resolution, installation directory, ...

Attachment (1)

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to amityville)
Post #: 8
RE: VERY HOT WHAT DOES Error Code: 1x740 MEAN - 9/17/2011 8:19:44 PM   
Falkon1313

I found the following workaround resolved the bug for me:

Go to installation folder (C:\Matrix Games\HUCE by default)
Right-click Winharp32.exe
Click Properties
Click Compatibility
Check [x] Run this program as an administrator
Ok

After that, the polite accusation of being a thief went away and the game actually ran.

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 9
RE: VERY HOT WHAT DOES Error Code: 1x740 MEAN - 10/4/2011 4:35:59 AM   
Harpooner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Falkon

I found the following workaround resolved the bug for me:

Go to installation folder (C:\Matrix Games\HUCE by default)
Right-click Winharp32.exe
Click Properties
Click Compatibility
Check [x] Run this program as an administrator
Ok

After that, the polite accusation of being a thief went away and the game actually ran.

Thanks for posting, friend!

I had the same problem---I tried your solution and it WORKED!

I'm new to HUCE---Thanks again!

(in reply to Falkon1313)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> Tech Support >> VERY HOT WHAT DOES Error Code: 1x740 MEAN Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI