Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Alfonso vs Russian AI. Road to Smolensk

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Alfonso vs Russian AI. Road to Smolensk Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Alfonso vs Russian AI. Road to Smolensk - 12/19/2010 1:52:26 PM   
alfonso

Turn 8: Vyazma fell under a pouring rain of fire and death, brought upon by several crack PanzerDivs, lavishly equipped with all kind of support battalions, and with generous Howitzer and HeavyNebelwerfen support provided by a promising Corps Commander, brought specifically for this task…one Manstein if a recall correctly…

East of the Dniper, both German PanzerGroups have then turned north, towards Rzhev, avoiding battle with a strong concentration of Soviet forces southwest of that city. Two different pockets are on the making…

The possibility exists of isolating all Red forces west of Rzhev, and capturing Velikie Luki from the rear fighting with inverted fronts.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to alfonso)
Post #: 31
RE: Alfonso vs Russian AI. Road to Smolensk - 12/19/2010 2:00:52 PM   
Flaviusx

You've got the minor victory for sure now, well done. I'm going to point out this thread to other newbies having problems with this scenario: you've cracked it.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to alfonso)
Post #: 32
RE: Alfonso vs Russian AI. Road to Smolensk - 12/19/2010 8:55:58 PM   
alfonso

Turn 9:

The surrounding of Rzhev has been accomplished. After helping to create the pocket, 3rd PanzerGroup has been hastily redeployed westward, in some instances across the Dvina. The Mot SS Div has made a remarkable countermarch from north of Vyazma towards Velikie Luki. Most importantly, all Soviet forces north and west of river Dvina are supposed to be isolated, and my objective for the last turn is therefore threefold:

a) To force the capitulation of the Rzhev garrison

b) To take Velikie Luki by a coup de main. As forces defending the city are isolated, the capture of the city seems more a question of MP available than of force brute

c) To force the surrender of the Soviet divisions facing my army in the general region of Vitebsk. In preparation for this, I have eliminated his foothold south of the Dvina, west of Vitebsk, and I created my own, north of the river, with a reserve Division of 2nd PanzerGroup, which was redirected from its scheduled mission of relieving the forces just east of Smolensk. Air recon has showed that there are no significant forces behind that Soviet screen opposite Vitebsk.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by alfonso -- 12/19/2010 8:58:26 PM >

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 33
RE: Alfonso vs Russian AI. Road to Smolensk - 12/20/2010 7:06:37 PM   
alfonso

Finally Velikie Luki fell, Rzhev was conquered and many soviets units were forced to surrender. Minor Axis victory. Surprinsingly, some units north of Dvina retreated instead of surrendering, and I had to chase some of them to definitively kill them off. Had I known that, I could have transferred a couple of Motorized units to Vitebsk the previous turn to improve the hunting.

I acknowledge that the last couple of turns are a strategic "frivolité", but..well..it is also a game, isn't it?

Next challenge, road to Leningrad! Stay tuned...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to alfonso)
Post #: 34
RE: Alfonso vs Russian AI. Road to Smolensk - 12/20/2010 7:10:05 PM   
Flaviusx

Can you post a final screenshot of the VPs? I'm curious how far short of a major you were. I'm guessing this was deep into marginal victory territory, well above the 1.1:1 minimum. 2:1 nets you a major, btw.

A very nicely done AAR, I look forward to your future efforts. You're doing some yoeman work here.

Also, RtL is an easier scenario for the German than this one, imo. This is one of the harder ones.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 12/20/2010 7:11:26 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to alfonso)
Post #: 35
RE: Alfonso vs Russian AI. Road to Smolensk - 12/20/2010 7:49:57 PM   
alfonso

Capturing Gomel or Bryansk should lead to a (narrow) major victory, if casualties are not very high.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 36
RE: Alfonso vs Russian AI. Road to Smolensk - 12/20/2010 8:00:58 PM   
Flaviusx

I think we are fiddling around with air losses due to flak and operational losses. That should give the Germans more VPs. Losses due to these (and not the Red Air force) are running rather too high in 1941 imo.

With a little more tweaking, I believe you could get Gomel next time around.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to alfonso)
Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Alfonso vs Russian AI. Road to Smolensk Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI