Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Like the AI, but need some advice

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Like the AI, but need some advice Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Like the AI, but need some advice - 12/12/2010 10:36:26 PM   
Rasputitsa

I am reluctant to comment on this issue, as I have not had time to go beyond 'Road to Minsk', but I can see the points that redmarkus4 is making. I understand that we cannot expect the game to continually be a re-run of the historical events and that there is every reason that the players actions and AI responses could result in varying results. However, we would expect that the capabilities of the Soviet command and it's likely responses would be in a range that is similar to the historical reality.

We expect that the game will be configured such that a T34 will perform like the original article, it is no answer to say that the Soviets could have given it different capabilities, the fact is that they didn't. Likewise there are strategies that the Soviets could have used in 1941, but the fact is that they didn't. It is difficult for the designers, because these additional strategies should become available to the AI later in the war.

I personally do not rate the belief that the Soviets fought the Germans to standstill at Smolensk, Hitler was merely following the strategy that was outlined before the attack, that Moscow was not the primary objective. The turn toward Kiev and reinforcing the attack on Leningrad, was entirely in line with his initial Directive. You can argue whether it was a good policy, but none the less it was the policy and not necessarily a measure of Soviet success.

The Germans were able to jump off from their Smolensk positions during Typhoon and had no difficulty in breaking a line that the Russians had had weeks to prepare, going on to create large encirclements. There is no reason why they could not have done the same thing earlier, in August, had they chosen to do so. What delayed the advance was German strategy and not so much the Soviet defence.

I will need to experience more of the game and take Erik's advice to wait and see how powerful this forest of Soviet units really is, but I would be concerned if the game permitted the Soviets to shovel masses of units all around the map at will (yes- the Soviets had masses of units to deploy, but not the ability to move them easily once deployed). Such flexibility did not exist in 1941 and the game should reflect this.

More importantly, we are not discussing a fixed item, WiTE has a blizzard of game settings and I hope that there is a combination which meets most of our requirements, time will tell

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 61
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Like the AI, but need some advice Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI