Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

'empire view': list of resources, any use?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> 'empire view': list of resources, any use? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
'empire view': list of resources, any use? - 12/19/2010 5:43:25 PM   
Nibelung44

Hi,

How are you using the tool listing all resources known? It soon become useless too me, as it lists hundreds of place. I miss here a filter to show only one resource, plus a sort from closest to more distant I think.

Anybody use it, and how?
Post #: 1
RE: 'empire view': list of resources, any use? - 12/19/2010 6:00:33 PM   
Spacecadet

If you are talking about the Expansion Planner you can sort by clicking on the Headers to each Column listed, so you can sort by Planet type, Quality, Distance, etc.

You can also use the Galaxy Map and select Known Resources from the drop down menu, then you'll get another drop down box which will highlight by resource type the systems/planets you have explored so far.

(in reply to Nibelung44)
Post #: 2
RE: 'empire view': list of resources, any use? - 12/19/2010 6:48:01 PM   
Nibelung44

No I'm talking about the side view, the new tool at our disposal. 

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 3
RE: 'empire view': list of resources, any use? - 12/19/2010 7:26:18 PM   
Krob

So far, sadly, I've only really found myself using the Special Locations tab. Yeah, I'm not about to search though 116 colonies in that list.

K

(in reply to Nibelung44)
Post #: 4
RE: 'empire view': list of resources, any use? - 12/20/2010 4:00:16 AM   
forsaken1111

The enemy targets list is very useful as you can click it to assign an attack from the nearest strike force

(in reply to Krob)
Post #: 5
RE: 'empire view': list of resources, any use? - 12/20/2010 8:17:28 AM   
Nibelung44

Sure, but I'm speaking of list of resources here. Has any beta of the expansion used it, really? It seems a filter is missing at the very least.

(in reply to forsaken1111)
Post #: 6
RE: 'empire view': list of resources, any use? - 12/20/2010 8:26:45 AM   
forsaken1111

No I've found no use for the potential mining location list on the left. It gets too big, too fast. I'd like small high level filters on most of those actually. Like the 'fleets' list can get very long as well later in the game, so a simple filter for actual fleets or strikeforces would be nice. or the ability to order colonies by size... etc.

(in reply to Nibelung44)
Post #: 7
RE: 'empire view': list of resources, any use? - 12/20/2010 8:47:38 PM   
Solus

quote:

ORIGINAL: forsaken1111
The enemy targets list is very useful as you can click it to assign an attack from the nearest strike force

Unfortunately that's all you can do with it. It would be far more useful if it could be used to select the target, and to issue commands related to the target. E.g. with 1 Cruiser selected, right-click on the target listing and select 'attack'. Or just double-click to select and zoom in on the target.

(in reply to forsaken1111)
Post #: 8
RE: 'empire view': list of resources, any use? - 12/20/2010 11:11:16 PM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Solus

quote:

ORIGINAL: forsaken1111

Unfortunately that's all you can do with it. It would be far more useful if it could be used to select the target, and to issue commands related to the target. E.g. with 1 Cruiser selected, right-click on the target listing and select 'attack'. Or just double-click to select and zoom in on the target.

Some other ways to use the Enemy Targets list:
- Select a fleet (cycle through your fleets using the 'F' key) and then click a target in the Enemy Targets list to assign the selected fleet to attack (i.e. not just the nearest available fleet)
- If a target in the list already has an attack fleet assigned, click the target (in the list) to select the assigned fleet. You can then right-click to cancel the attack and left-click another target to change the selected fleet's target.

(in reply to Solus)
Post #: 9
RE: 'empire view': list of resources, any use? - 12/20/2010 11:12:40 PM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nibelung44
How are you using the tool listing all resources known? It soon become useless too me, as it lists hundreds of place. I miss here a filter to show only one resource, plus a sort from closest to more distant I think.

This tool is designed to be a quick and easy way to see the most important items - it's sorted by priority. If you need more control the Expansion Planner is the screen to use, with complete control over sorting and filtering.

(in reply to Nibelung44)
Post #: 10
RE: 'empire view': list of resources, any use? - 12/21/2010 8:32:52 AM   
Nibelung44

ok! good to know... I did not realized there was a sort, but I admit I stopped checking the list as soon as saw it was populated by hundreds of items...

Still, some filtering would be good, the typical example is when I want to assign a new task to an idle constructor. What I want is to find a good location to build something, but not too far from it. With the expansion planner, I need first to open the window, show all resources by empire priority, activate the filter on a given resource, and then remember where is the constructor.

I believe that adding one filter on resource on this list would make it extremely handy. I'm already on the map, centered on the idle constructor, I show the list, click on the resource I want to see. The list is trimmed and I can see easily where they are, compared to my constructor. Even better would be to have a yellow circle emitted from the location of the said resource when I hover the mouse over its name in the list, that would be excellent!

But I guess we each have our own idea of what 'ergonomy' means!

< Message edited by Nibelung44 -- 12/21/2010 8:33:26 AM >

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 11
RE: 'empire view': list of resources, any use? - 12/21/2010 9:29:27 AM   
forsaken1111

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg

quote:

This tool is designed to be a quick and easy way to see the most important items - it's sorted by priority. If you need more control the Expansion Planner is the screen to use, with complete control over sorting and filtering.

Out of curiousity, how does it determine priority? I'll admit I haven't used it all that much. Is it looking at whatever is most 'in demand' in your empire, followed by whatever you have the fewest sources of? Does it filter by the 'quality' of the resource as well? (putting a 80% gold deposit above a 21% gold deposit for example)

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 12
RE: 'empire view': list of resources, any use? - 12/21/2010 10:37:05 AM   
Aures

quote:

ok! good to know... I did not realized there was a sort, but I admit I stopped checking the list as soon as saw it was populated by hundreds of items...

Still, some filtering would be good, the typical example is when I want to assign a new task to an idle constructor. What I want is to find a good location to build something, but not too far from it. With the expansion planner, I need first to open the window, show all resources by empire priority, activate the filter on a given resource, and then remember where is the constructor.

I believe that adding one filter on resource on this list would make it extremely handy. I'm already on the map, centered on the idle constructor, I show the list, click on the resource I want to see. The list is trimmed and I can see easily where they are, compared to my constructor. Even better would be to have a yellow circle emitted from the location of the said resource when I hover the mouse over its name in the list, that would be excellent!

I agree with the idea of filtering the navigation tool, but there is already a handy addition to ROTS that your post indicates you are not aware of and would be just the ticket for your situation. Any idle colony or construction ship will now show a red crosshair in the expansion planner when selected from the drop down menu. You can use that to easily tell what the best constructor or colony ship is to use for any given potential location since they show up as a blue crosshair.

It doesn't help for queueing up multiple items (if anyone has a good suggestion for how to handle that let the forum know) but for anything that is idle it is the ideal solution. Most of the time I do the opposite for colony ships from what I did in the original. I now order the colony ships built from specific colonies based on what they can handle and I then assign those ships using the expansion planner. The colony ship will show up in the list as soon as it is ordered, you don't even need to wait for construction to begin. I also find it very handy for when I am hunting for new resource locations (although in the early to mid game I often have lots more things to build than I do construction ships so some way of extending this idea to cover queued items for constructors would be great if anyone can think of one).

Most of my Empires are too big

(in reply to Nibelung44)
Post #: 13
RE: 'empire view': list of resources, any use? - 12/21/2010 12:51:54 PM   
Nibelung44

I'll try this trick, did not know of it indeed!

(in reply to Aures)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> 'empire view': list of resources, any use? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI