Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Turn 7

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Turn 7 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Turn 7 - 1/10/2011 6:01:14 PM   
BletchleyGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball
He has played a "Sir Robin", or "Commisar Robinsky" defense, which makes it very tough to encircle and destroy Soviets after the first couple turns.

"Polkovodets Robinovich" - if I understand correctly how patronimics work in Russian - would be a much better name for that strategy

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 91
RE: Turn 7 - 1/10/2011 11:08:45 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

What turn is it anyway, and how many turns of clear does that allow you? Your objectives seem very conservative, but your opponent has been cagey and played the SU pretty well it seems. He has played a "Sir Robin", or "Commisar Robinsky" defense, which makes it very tough to encircle and destroy Soviets after the first couple turns.

Interesting take on long-term German objectives; you are focusing on force-preservation as #1, and plan to create a Ukranian Redoubt to hold-off the Soviets in 1944. Curious how that will pan out.

Starting with an aside: as you may know I read your WitP:AE AAR for the game against Cuttlefish as well as the game against Canoerebel. As a reader, I'm greatly annoyed at the success rate of an Allied Sir Robin defence in WitP:AE, especially the kind Canoerebel has pulled off where it seems he's essentially balancing everything in a way that will only just prevent you from getting an auto-victory (that's just my perspective, of course).

That's just too wildly ahistorical for my liking. It's not like the Allies could've said "OK, let's hide our most critical ships and allow the Japs to take everything in India aside from a couple of cities in the western part of the country, as we know they won't win the war until the cities in India are captured or our ships are sunk". I have to say I admire the fact that you accept that defence and keep playing. Aside from my limited interested in the Pacific component compared to the European/African components of WWII, the fact that Allied defensive strategies can be really cheesy is also something holding me back from buying it.

You might see it all differently, but it's just my observation.

The Axis can face a similar situation in WitE, but you at least have some tools to get at least a draw. Judging by the various WitP:AE AAR's, it's quite difficult for Japan to get a draw or prevent the Home Islands from being turned into the world's biggest open air BBQ through an Allied strategic air offensive. As I see it, a draw should certainly be possible in WitE.

Of course, there's always the point that the Western Allies would probably have walked into Berlin if the Soviets had not, provided the Axis were losing badly in the east, but the Western Allies are not really represented in the game aside from that they force Italy to surrender, provide Lend Lease equipment and lower the Axis production over time.

The Soviets more or less really need to try and take the initiative in late 1942/mid 1943, otherwise they're not going to have the momentum to win the war (win as in: hammer and sickle on the Reichstag and its counterparts in minor Axis countries).

To me, one of the most critical strategic failures of the Axis, but thus primarily the Germans, was the thought that if they kept pushing east, the Soviets would not be able to push them west. That idea should've gone out of the window after the first winter, but it didn't, and the Axis paid dearly in late 1942 and mid 1943, when their chance of stalling the Soviets essentially evaporated. You don't win a land war in Asia by capturing territory. You win land wars in Asia by killing so many enemies that their offensive capabilities are essentially crippled. The Japanese in China and the Axis in the USSR failed to do so, they tried advancing against a stubborn foe with, compared to them, nigh limitless manpower reserves. Holding Orel, Kursk, Kharkov and the surrounding areas for a year will be felt much less than the Soviets taking millions of losses.

The Soviets can easily replace men, they can't easily replace experienced men. If through skill or luck you destroy a number of good Guards formations, that's a genuine problem, and if you destroy mobile units, they'll immediately feel it. One of the main Soviet Achillesheels is that their national morale's pretty bad, and thus the experience their new units start with is pretty bad, which means it takes time to train them and that even when trained, their units are not too great. The same applies to the Germans later in the war, which is why force preservation is one of my main objectives. As I explained earlier: if I can keep the Soviets around 50-60 experience, and my own forces at around 90, I have a much better chance of keeping them out of the minor Axis countries than if I let the Soviets evolve their corps into unstoppable killing machines.

Given the choice between losing 100.000 men and moving the front 100 miles east to a position I can't possibly hold, or not losing those men and defending a position I can hold fairly comfortably, I'll pick the latter.

As to the Ukrainian redoubt: look at the map. Draw a line from Leningrad to the Crimea. Major population centers are pretty scarce west of that line aside from in the Ukraine. In the center, there's Vitebsk, Mogilev, gomel and Minsk, then a length of nothing and then Lithuania and Poland. In the north, there's Riga, Pskov and Tallinn. In the Ukraine, you stumble into the next city as you move away from the previous one. Not to mention that the Ukraine "protects" Romania and Hungary. The chance that the Soviets will get through Byelorussia with its light woods and convenient rivers and Poland with its equally convenient rivers and central location of Warsaw is pretty small unless he puts pressure on the Ukraine. If I hold the territory west of that line, I hold almost a quarter of the Soviet manpower, the highest concentrations being in the Ukraine.

There's also the resource production in the area, which benefit Axis war production. I'm hoping the resources in some cities won't be too damaged when I capture them (25+random roll of d75). The resources are one reason why I'm not yet sure if I'm going to make a push for Stalino and surrounding cities: if the Soviets recapture them during their winter offensive, and I recapture the cities in 1942, the resource factories will be damaged 3 times, so they'll probably take a year to start producing again. I'd rather try my luck with a single d75 roll than with three.

My main problem in the AGS area as I see it is that I'll be in deep excrement if notenome has a line in those swamp hexes along the southernmost part of the Dnepr. It's currently turn 8, as in: It's my turn and it's turn 8. I have 10 turns of clear weather and then some snow turns to iron things out. My objectives are conservative because it will take me time to get across the Dnepr in force and thus I don't know what I'll be able to accomplish in the center and the south. After giving it some thought, my advance in the center is less slow than I had initially thought: a competent Soviet player can prevent the Germans from arriving at the Dnepr in force until turn 4-5, which will mean they can make their first serious crossing attempt on turn 5-6. My crossing was on turn 7.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 1/10/2011 11:15:28 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to BletchleyGeek)
Post #: 92
RE: Turn 7 - 1/10/2011 11:44:30 PM   
henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

As a strategic assessment of the situation at this point and a description of near future plans:

Lucky for the Soviets that Hitler didn't have you to plan his war... Your conservative approach is an interesting alternative to the historical go-for-broke strategy that everyone else including me is trying.

henri

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 93
RE: Turn 7 - 1/10/2011 11:53:49 PM   
Klydon

The idea of trying to fight the Russians to a standstill and bleed them dry started even before the close of the Russian winter offensive. There was misgivings about launching the German summer offensive in the south. Some of the staff felt there should not have been a 1942 offensive at all and the Germans should have tried to rebuild and rehabilitate their units instead. Hitler felt to stand on the defensive would only allow the Russians to get stronger and he also allowed Germany's economic issues to influence his thinking and jump to the conclusion that if he could take the oil in the Caucasus that it would spell the end of the Russians.

The conversation came up again in the Spring of 1943. Many, including v Manstein felt the time had passed for the Germans to take the offensive after the first part of May. They wanted to wait for the Russians to strike and then counter attack as a deliberate course of action. This type of action had been very lucrative for the Germans in the past, especially in the south both in the spring of 1942 and also during the late winter/early spring of 1943 before mud hit. After the losses at Kursk, the Germans were basically done, although it took the Soviets almost another 2 years to end the campaign.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 94
RE: Turn 7 - 1/10/2011 11:54:15 PM   
ComradeP

"Go for broke" is aptly named in the sense that you usually end up broke.

quote:

The idea of trying to fight the Russians to a standstill and bleed them dry started even before the close of the Russian winter offensive. There was misgivings about launching the German summer offensive in the south. Some of the staff felt there should not have been a 1942 offensive at all and the Germans should have tried to rebuild and rehabilitate their units instead. Hitler felt to stand on the defensive would only allow the Russians to get stronger and he also allowed Germany's economic issues to influence his thinking and jump to the conclusion that if he could take the oil in the Caucasus that it would spell the end of the Russians.

The conversation came up again in the Spring of 1943. Many, including v Manstein felt the time had passed for the Germans to take the offensive after the first part of May. They wanted to wait for the Russians to strike and then counter attack as a deliberate course of action. This type of action had been very lucrative for the Germans in the past, especially in the south both in the spring of 1942 and also during the late winter/early spring of 1943 before mud hit. After the losses at Kursk, the Germans were basically done, although it took the Soviets almost another 2 years to end the campaign.

Certainly, the plans were discussed, but for the Germans their main problem was that by that time (after the first winter) they had given up mobility for a large part of their force by turning AGN and AGC into what in-game are static army groups. If you want to be a fencer, and your opponent has a huge two-handed sword, you don't stand still and wait until your opponent cleaves you in two after you poked him slightly. You dance around him as his weapon is too cumbersome to be able to hit you when you're moving.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 1/10/2011 11:57:03 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 95
RE: Turn 7 - 1/11/2011 2:09:58 AM   
randallw

quote:

ORIGINAL: henri51

Lucky for the Soviets that Hitler didn't have you to plan his war... Your conservative approach is an interesting alternative to the historical go-for-broke strategy that everyone else including me is trying.

henri

We all have the ability to look at how things went, then modify a strategy differently than what the actual leaders did. It would be like having a spy with close contact to both the enemy leader and boss of war production.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 96
RE: Turn 5 - 1/11/2011 3:35:05 AM   
heliodorus04

Comrade P, I'm only on Page 2, but you wrote about spending Admin Points to do "reorganization" - what does that mean, exactly?  Thanks.

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 97
RE: Turn 5 - 1/11/2011 12:33:24 PM   
henri51

It costs admin points to move units from one HQ to another, or a HQ to a different superior HQ. It also costs points to change leaders.

Henri

(in reply to heliodorus04)
Post #: 98
RE: Turn 5 - 1/11/2011 12:56:20 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

We all have the ability to look at how things went, then modify a strategy differently than what the actual leaders did. It would be like having a spy with close contact to both the enemy leader and boss of war production.

That's what makes wargames interesting, we don't necessarily have to follow history. I'm always surprised by how many people do try to follow history in some ways, at least for the first year or so of a campaign. Of course, you don't really have much of a choice early on as the Axis: you're pushing east, with the variety coming from where you concentrate your mobile forces.

Of course, we know that the Soviet army will over time be huge with impressive production to back it up, but we don't know the precise strategy they'll follow, so I base my strategy on the strength and weaknesses of my own force together with a general notion of the strength and weaknesses of the Soviet forces (lots of men, generally mediocre individual unit quality).

quote:

Comrade P, I'm only on Page 2, but you wrote about spending Admin Points to do "reorganization" - what does that mean, exactly? Thanks.

As henri indicated: mostly HQ switches. Many AG HQ's are overloaded, and AGN doesn't need its own Panzer Group so I assigned that to OKH. There'll be more reorganizations later. In the AGS area, I'm mostly assigning minor Axis garrisons to OKH and I'm still considering how to deal with AGS's overload.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 99
RE: Turn 5 - 1/11/2011 6:33:48 PM   
Q-Ball

Interesting thoughts in that long post. What I don't have a grasp for yet in the game is what ground is important, and what ground isn't. The Resource and Heavy Industry map that someone else made was very good, illustrates that most of the usable Resources in Russia are going to be found in the Ukraine, within the great bend of the Dnepr. The discussion on the Crimea was interesting, in that it correctly asks: What is really there for the Axis? Not much, apparently. But I am still not real clear on what the Axis objectives should be in 1941/42; sure, destroy Soviet Units, capture ground, limit casualties, but in what degrees on all of those.

Even losses are confusing. Losing Panzer Is and BT-5s has no effect on the battles of 1942, but losing other types does. Destroying Soviet units seems futile as they regenerate constantly, but along the way, at what point does it really hurt? Losing 5 mil? 7 mil?

Tactical objectives are easy enough to grasp, it's the big strategic picture I am still trying to wrap my head around.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 100
RE: Turn 5 - 1/11/2011 7:00:26 PM   
Klydon

Upon face value, I think most Axis players look to score the decisive Axis victory conditions (control 290 points worth of cities). The Soviets have a totally different set of conditions in that they have to force the Germans to surrender, but it still entails taking much of the map in cities. The Germans can win a draw simply by avoiding surrender.

As a Axis player bent on going for the decisive victory, you have to plan and figure out where your 290 points are coming from. This makes places like Leningrad and Moscow particularly attractive due to their high point value in such a small space. It also makes the south more attractive because there are so many pop centers down there.

Another (far less clear) strategy the Axis can try to employ is one of economics. This would involve trying to cut the Russian army down by economic means. The clearest way to do that is to capture Russian oil and cripple their mechanized forces.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 101
RE: Turn 5 - 1/11/2011 7:20:21 PM   
ComradeP

In my opinion, the vast majority of the ground isn't important or strategically significant. To me, aside from the Ukraine the territory I capture is mostly a buffer between Germany and the Red tide trying to get there as well as putting a dent in Soviet manpower. You're not going to capture heavy industry or armament factories unless your opponent's either not paying attention or has to evacuate too many cities in one turn. Some cities, like Tula, have a lot of factories and are costly to evacuate, but as I see it the Soviets are not really under any real stress when it comes to factory evacuations.

You can't stop them from evacuating factories and they have plenty of rail capacity. It's actually beneficial to them that their units come back/arrive as shells mostly, as their load cost for strategic movement is minimal. That's the main reason why I don't bother with trying to get to places like Tula. When I get there, the factories will generally be gone and I'm just overstretching myself.

Resource production can't be evacuated, which makes going for the Ukraine both logical and obvious. If you capture the resource production up to and including Voroshilovgrad, you remove over 1/6 of Soviet resource production and add over 1/6 to your own compared to what you start with. The more resources you control, the better the shape the Axis war economy will be in.

Soviet losses won't really hurt much in 1941 and 1942 in terms of manpower as the losses you can inflict can be compensated for by the high manpower output. However, if you capture about 1000 manpower centres, the Soviets get about 150.000 men each turn in 1942, instead of 200.000, and that decreases further as the war drags on. The actual manpower multiplier is only 5 less in 1942 than in 1941, but you notice the effect more due to the manpower production you're occupying.

In my opinion, I'd say it's nearly impossible to really bleed the Soviets to death until 1943. You can kill units, which cost him AP's to reform after November 1941 and which might lower his overall experience levels if you kill good ones. I'd rather try a "destroy some units" than "damage plenty of units" strategy, as the attrition the latter strategy causes will be felt more by the Axis than the Soviets.

One key thing to keep in mind is that the Axis need to fight an economical war from the start. For the Soviets, their losses won't really hurt all that much until mid to late war. If you kill/capture 2-3 million men in 1941, that's less of a problem than in 1942, when you're probably occupying significant territory and thus manpower centres, but especially less of a problem then in 1943, 1944 or 1945.

quote:

Even losses are confusing. Losing Panzer Is and BT-5s has no effect on the battles of 1942, but losing other types does.

In a way, both sides are fortunate that the types they start the war with will be obsolete in a year.

quote:

The discussion on the Crimea was interesting, in that it correctly asks: What is really there for the Axis? Not much, apparently.

There's indeed not much unless you can capture it in its entirety. It's easy to hold and easy to contain the Soviets from breaking out, but it's difficult to take if your opponent knows what he's doing. The amphibious threat is fairly substantial I'd say, but a landing by itself would be pretty suicidal unless the Soviets are already attacking in the area.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 102
RE: Turn 5 - 1/11/2011 10:25:12 PM   
CarnageINC

Thanks for doing this AAR and giving us in depth opinions you have.  Its very insightful once you ponder upon an idea whether its really worth some objectives.  Ive always tried doing as much with the Germans 'on the cheap' end of things trying to minimize casualties.  With out this AAR, it might take an Axis player a while to figure out the real value of what he's fight for.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 103
RE: Turn 5 - 1/14/2011 12:51:50 PM   
ComradeP

Turn 8 AGN: Pskov and Velikie Luki are isolated for the moment. The mobile forces swing south, largely unopposed for the moment. Let's see if notenome overreacts to this flanking move or not. If he does, it will save me a lot of time.

The Narva front isn't on the screenshot, but nothing interesting is happening there. There's a unit in Narva that will take some time to dislodge, and a unit in the swamps two hexes south of it.

Attachment (1)

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 104
RE: Turn 5 - 1/14/2011 12:54:26 PM   
ComradeP

In the AGC area, another bridgehead is established and the bridgehead made last turn is widened. Again, I expect at least a counterattack against the stack with a motorized division, Lehr and GD, but I'm not sure when notenome will start to attack.

A hasty attack on the stack with a cavalry division on top on the northern bridgehead failed, the only lost attack this turn. 400 planes supporting the attack couldn't turn the tide. Maybe an additional attack could've done it, but it was too risky in my opinion. I didn't expect the attack to work, but was expecting a better result. Even though 2 good divisions were attacking as well as 200 bombers, the Soviets only suffered around 600 losses. 200 IL-2's alone would probably cause higher losses.

The infantry should be able to get across in the Gomel area next turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 1/14/2011 12:57:13 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 105
RE: Turn 8 - 1/14/2011 12:59:39 PM   
ComradeP

In the AGS area, forces are shuffled a bit so 6th Army can start to move south. There's a huge concentration of Soviet forces in the Kiev are, but unit density further down the line is minimal. I hope to get across the Dnepr on turn 9.

Attachment (1)

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 106
RE: Turn 8 - 1/14/2011 1:01:50 PM   
ComradeP

In the Romanian/southern tip of AGS sector, notenome was the victim of what I was described in another thread: cavalry divisions can't defend. A cavalry army was badly mauled and good progress was made.

I'm hoping I can storm Odessa next turn, but that might be too optimistic.

A FBD unit should reach Kirovograd in about 3 turns.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 1/14/2011 1:03:59 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 107
RE: Turn 8 - 1/14/2011 1:05:57 PM   
ComradeP

I'm about 1 turn ahead with losses, mostly due to attacks in swamps causing high losses early on.

I've disbanded some more air bases, as well as some Italian and Finnish support units.

The main problem is that notenome's Sir Robin causes the loss ratio to be only 4:1 in my favour, which by default means his army will soon be huge without anything I can do about it. The blizzard will also chop about 750.000-1 million men off my OOB, also without too much I can do about it aside from withdrawing some units to villages, cities or the non-blizzard zone.

At this rate, the 1942 summer campaign will be a nightmare. My forces will be understrength, and he'll have dozens of full strength Rifle corps.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 1/14/2011 1:09:27 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 108
RE: Turn 8 - 1/14/2011 7:50:02 PM   
ComradeP

No counterattacks. Perhaps he's planning some huge operation that requires all of his men, but I'm clueless as to why he doesn't try to attack, might be inexperience. He also pulled back a bit between Vitebsk and Velikie Luki as well as along the Dnepr, a partial overreaction I'd say.

C. Hansen seems to be lucky. He's now a Generaloberst and he had a skill increase last turn. He has a 15 wins and no losses, but my Panzer corps commanders have more victories.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 109
RE: Turn 8 - 1/14/2011 8:09:44 PM   
Flaviusx

Pieter, most of the Soviet players I've seen thus far are rather cautious in terms of counterattacks.

It takes some practice to get a feel for what you can get away with in terms of counterattacking in 1941 with the Red Army.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 110
RE: Turn 8 - 1/14/2011 8:51:58 PM   
jjdenver

It looks overall like your progress is slow on almost all fronts so he has no reason or incentive to counterattack that I can see. You mentioned I think that he might want to improve his morale or experience levels but I guess he'll plan to do that during the winter when it's safer to attack.

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 1/14/2011 9:12:56 PM >

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 111
RE: Turn 8 - 1/14/2011 9:20:46 PM   
kfmiller41

As a soviet player I would say that in my next game I will probably play more aggressively early on, knowing what is coming and wanting to see if you play more like Stalin was in charge (IE taking large losses for holding ground), you can still hold Leningrad/Moscow against a good german opponent. It is very hard to attack as soviet units just lack hitting power unless they get in large groups, which is just asking for trouble against the mobile german army in 41.

You have the ability to arouse various emotions in me: please select carefully.

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 112
RE: Turn 8 - 1/14/2011 11:28:18 PM   
CharonJr

Yes, from what I have seen in those player vs. player AARs it looks like the Soviet side needs some additional incentive to stand and fight if the situation is supposed to be closer to history.

At the moment the best strategy seems to be to delay and preserve forces and attack during the winter with a very large Red Army - which is smart, but not historical.

CharonJr

(in reply to kfmiller41)
Post #: 113
RE: Turn 8 - 1/14/2011 11:31:37 PM   
randallw

I'm not quite sure if the experience ratings for the respective armies, in 1941, are really accurate, or just so-so accurate.  Basically the German divisions are slightly more than twice as good as Soviet divisions.

(in reply to CharonJr)
Post #: 114
RE: Turn 8 - 1/14/2011 11:56:43 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: miller41

As a soviet player I would say that in my next game I will probably play more aggressively early on, knowing what is coming and wanting to see if you play more like Stalin was in charge (IE taking large losses for holding ground), you can still hold Leningrad/Moscow against a good german opponent. It is very hard to attack as soviet units just lack hitting power unless they get in large groups, which is just asking for trouble against the mobile german army in 41.

I'm a Soviet player as well and I have not been an exception. I haven't attacked. Well, just one time. But I didn't pay attention to the CVs. The testers must know better than us, we should agree on this one.

So if I well understood, I could try to attack these German units (this is a screenshot from my PBEM).

I want the GUARD units!

EDITED: I know the numbers are NOT 100% trustful.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 1/14/2011 11:57:36 PM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to kfmiller41)
Post #: 115
RE: Turn 8 - 1/15/2011 12:05:56 AM   
IdahoNYer

Comrade P - remarkable how similar our campaigns have progressed by comparing AARs - roughly the same casualities as well as same depth of penetrations. As if we were fighting the same opponent! Like yours, my Soviet counterpart has hardly counter-attacked. One successful counter attack to throw back a bridgehead across the Dniper.

And like your opponent, mine has also strung up a nice fortified Dniepr line to negotiate - I'll be following with interest how you breach it.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 116
RE: Turn 8 - 1/15/2011 12:29:35 AM   
randallw

The stack of security regiments are definitely to consider as targets.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 117
RE: Turn 8 - 1/15/2011 12:47:36 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

Pieter, most of the Soviet players I've seen thus far are rather cautious in terms of counterattacks.

It takes some practice to get a feel for what you can get away with in terms of counterattacking in 1941 with the Red Army.

Certainly, I was just surprised that my stacks that could be attacked from 3 or 4 sides were not attacked. It's for those attacks that the +1 odds bonus comes in handy, as he only needs to roughly equal my CV to remove me from the hex. If he bumps me across the Dnepr, that hurts, at least for the AFV's.

-

It seems that a number of Soviet players are not fully aware of the advantages of counterattacking, which is why they might think there's no incentive to do so.

1) Soviets wins will never count as much towards their win ratio (which is one of the things that determines skill upgrades and promotions) as pre-winter 1941.
2) A ~50 morale and ~50 experience army isn't good. Yes, it's a lot better than what you start with, but it's still mediocre. If you really want to put the hurt on the Axis, you need units with high morale and experience. As I've said in other threads: a 15 CV Rifle corps isn't much of a problem, 20 CV+ Rifle corps are a problem. You're never going to get a 20+ CV Rifle corps with ~50 morale and ~50 experience units.
3) Axis mobile units will rarely be more exposed than now, or potentially in the 1942 summer campaign. They'll mostly disappear from the frontlines in winter to go to winter quarters in cities or outside the blizzard zone.
4) You're not going to get "early" (pre-winter) Guards at this rate. I'd estimate the best unit notenome has might have 3 wins or so, but even that's doubtful as not a lot of units that were not pocketed have held an attack.
5) If you don't attack, and are content with just slowing down the Axis, Axis losses will be quite a bit lower than they would normally be. The AFV losses in 1941 won't really be felt later on by either side as their 1941 AFV's are generally obsolete within a year, but in 1942 it can hurt as the AFV's in use then will be used for most of the war. However, any damage to mobile units will be felt.
6) In the winter, the Axis can do the exact same thing most of the Soviet players are doing now: they can trade land for time and can make big stacks to avoid being attacked by anything less than concentrated amounts of units. Keep in mind that, as I also described earlier, a successful attack against a stack with 3 units results in 1 victory, whilst successful attack against 3 individual units results in 3 victories. As such, the Axis can greatly limit the Soviet amount of victories (and thus the number of Guards, leader quality and unit quality) by not trying to hold the entire frontline.

-

TulliusDetritus, keep in mind that attacks across minor rivers roughly reduce CV by half, so some unexpected Luftwaffe support or some good German support units could mean you lose the attack against the security units. I'd advise bringing a bit more firepower to the party against that infantry division too. There is no real reason not to engage an Axis unit with as many units as possible, provided it doesn't threaten the integrity of your defences. Each participating unit will get a victory (or loss). Economy of force doesn't really apply to the 1941 Soviets.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 1/15/2011 1:05:04 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 118
RE: Turn 8 - 1/15/2011 1:07:22 PM   
Flaviusx

Hey, I'm trying to rouse some offensive spirit in our newbie Sovs here, but they just want to run away like little girls.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 119
RE: Turn 8 - 1/15/2011 4:45:08 PM   
heliodorus04

I'd like to know more about Soviet offensive options in 41, but I don't want good info to get buried, so I'm going to start a thread in the War Room, maybe you guys could provide some feedback on.  I can't start it now, but will later.

Love this thread.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Turn 7 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI