Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something was wrong before

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something was wrong before Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 4:05:39 AM   
2ndACR

I have said it before, will say again. There is no sure fire thing in combat. Too many variables. Try looking at it more realistically.

The German Div moves to attack, 20 miles away equals about 3-4 hours in combat formation, the Russian advance party (scouts) spot the dust cloud and send word to Div command. The Div commander orders hasty positions (farmhouses, quick foxholes). Remember, we use 7 day turns. So the Germans reach the edge of Russian area, start to deploy. Some one notices that the combat trains (supply trucks) took a left instead of a right about 8 miles back. German commander decides to hasty attack anyway. The German artillery fire falls short and long, advance German tanks start hitting hasty made minefield causing some confusion. German infantry advancing with the Panzer's are forced to drop back and seek cover due to heavy artillery fire and machine gun fire. The German armor commander decides to press the attack anyway. They make headway, the Russian commander seeing his 1st Regiment under heavy pressure and taking heavy losses order's his unit to pull back, thus saving his other 2 Regiments and his combat trains from certain destruction.

All of this is plausible and can and does happen in real life combat operations. The game simulates this very very well. Sometimes you just have to use your head to explain things.

I have really tried to avoid most of this thread, but I am seeing alot of "this does not happen in real life"........sorry, but it does, even to this day.

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 121
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 4:11:41 AM   
PeeDeeAitch

It would also be nice to see if the IL-2s caused any damage - by their losses they did seem to press home their attacks. Did the attack start too late in a day? A hasty attack in the game seems to cover a broad range of effects, and the effect on the attackers are unpredictable.

One thing that does seem likely is that the outcome would be far different in a deliberate attack (given what I have seen in the game perhaps 20% or more casualties to a Soviet division caught in the open, likely a route way as well)

"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 122
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 4:17:55 AM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian
Well, that explains the following then:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bwheatley

I guess I should not be surprise at the low-IQ type responses on this thread, people like Oleg Mastruko have never had anything useful to say from day 1.

I'm going to make you look the fools you are.
Oleg, you can skip this part as you've already establish that your mental challenges prevent you from any sort of reasonable thought process.

Hypocrit much?

Those weren't bwheatley's words. They were kirkgregerson's from post #44. Unfortunately, bwheatley's editing of the nested quotes left the impression that he was the original author of the slur. He wasn't and you owe him an apology.

I return you to your scheduled entertainment...

JAMiAM: Thank you. I had mis-interpreted this post as well.

While Bill and I had our differences earlier, I have come to respect his contributions and his moderation. I have to admit that I was shocked when I read the post above because I also thought those were his words. However instead of tracking back to the earlier posts he was referencing I just shook my head sadly and went on. So I feel that I also should apologize to him for believing even for a minute that he would write something that ... immoderate.

Bwheatley, I'm sorry.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 123
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 4:32:23 AM   
Aurelian

My apologies.

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 124
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 4:47:28 AM   
bwheatley

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kirkgregerson

What actually inflamed me the most was all the people that quickly attacked abulbulians well document improbable outcome as far as realism is concerned. Maybe this outcome is more probably IN the game,... but that's maybe the heart of the issue. These attack on the post were with out any merit as they had no evidence or documentation to refute abulbulian's claim that the outcome was totally improbably. I agree with his assessment. Not that I've read hundreds of books on the subject, but I've read more than a few in the last few months. I couldn't find any account of a sov rifle div in 42 accomplishing anything close to this posted battle outcome in all my readings given the battle settings. BUT, I did read about many accounts of the German mobile units, like the 11th Panzer, performing amazing feats against incredible odds. Yes, also in a sort of 'Hasty' attack fashion, as they usually had to be in two places at once.

So if people want to post what they see is wrong with abulbulian's assessment why not post something to back up your claim?

I agree people attacking others is lame.

quote:

I guess I should not be surprise at the low-IQ type responses on this thread, people like Oleg Mastruko have never had anything useful to say from day 1.

Oleg, you can skip this part as you've already establish that your mental challenges prevent you from any sort of reasonable thought process.

Hypocrit much?

That wasn't me saying that the forums i guess have a limit when you have too many embedded quotes :) If you look back you'll see kirk saying that. I'll have to go find the post and fix it :)

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 125
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 4:59:27 AM   
SgtKachalin

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

I have really tried to avoid most of this thread, but I am seeing alot of "this does not happen in real life"........sorry, but it does, even to this day.

Hear hear. Count me an another that sees nothing wrong with the OPs combat example and result.

Calls for documentation that every time a Pz Div attacked a Rifle Div in 1942 it did not instantly crush them are ludicrous; there are plenty of historical accounts. It's one of the features of the fighting in Blau I and Blau II, and well explains why the huge haul of prisoners seen in 1941 were not seen then. From Glantz, "To the Gates of Stalingrad"

"... the recently rebuilt panzer divisions rolled across the landscape against what seemed at the highest levels to be minor resistance. Yet despite the Wehrmacht's initial dramatic advances, it became increasingly difficult for the Germans to sustain momentum given the twin challenges of distance and the growing Soviet military competence. ... First, the Red Army was qualitatively far superior to what it had been in 1941 and continued to improve at a rapid pace during 1942. ... Second, while it is true that some green Soviet units crumbled in the face of the superbly executed blitzkrieg, others gave good account of themselves. Indeed, the surprising skill of the Soviet soldiers and at least some of their leaders was chiefly responsible for the sometimes slow progress of the German spearheads and their failure to repeat the huge prisoner hauls of the previous year. ... the Germans in the field were aware that the Soviets were constantly counterattacking and often inflicting heavy casualties on the invaders." pp. 477-478

In short the OPs battle tells me that the game is working well. It's 1942. The Panzers attack. They win the battle (causing an enemy that wants to stand to retreat is, by any objective measure, victory). But the Red unit doesn't vaporize, and even hits back some before retreating. That is totally historical. It's not 1941 any more.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 126
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 5:15:07 AM   
bwheatley

quote:

ORIGINAL: pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

quote:

quote:

Hypocrit much?

Those weren't bwheatley's words. They were kirkgregerson's from post #44. Unfortunately, bwheatley's editing of the nested quotes left the impression that he was the original author of the slur. He wasn't and you owe him an apology.

I return you to your scheduled entertainment...

JAMiAM: Thank you. I had mis-interpreted this post as well.

While Bill and I had our differences earlier, I have come to respect his contributions and his moderation. I have to admit that I was shocked when I read the post above because I also thought those were his words. However instead of tracking back to the earlier posts he was referencing I just shook my head sadly and went on. So I feel that I also should apologize to him for believing even for a minute that he would write something that ... immoderate.

Bwheatley, I'm sorry.

Hehe no worries man :) I will be more sure to preview next time if there are a lot of embedded quotes so that doesn't happen again. There are sometimes i really really get fired up and might be a dick. But i try hard to keep respectful tones and active listening. Like tutilus (sp) says it's just a game. :)

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 127
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 5:15:54 AM   
bwheatley

quote:

My apologies.

No worries its all good :)

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 128
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 5:17:59 AM   
Jakerson

At eastern front there were documated cases where attacker lost more than 3000-5000 men without being able to kill zero defenders. It happened when defender had one recon plane or forward observer team in the right place at right time calling artillery strike on enemy deployment zone just when they where starting to attack and devastating artillery fire hit right on the target with power of 50 tons of TNT just in couple of minutes and that tryout attack was over.

I never seen this happening in this game even when that should be possible to stop attack with artillery fire with decimating casulties to attacking side without being able to lauch attack at all. This game really gives a lot of better chances to attack than historically was possible.

EDIT: btw. this is not whining I understand that wargame need set of rules and is always abstraction of reality.

< Message edited by Jakerson -- 1/27/2011 6:09:54 AM >

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 129
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 5:30:15 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jakerson

At eastern front there were documated cases where attacker lost more than 3000-5000 men without being able to kill zero defenders. It happened when defender had one recon plane or forward observer team in the right place at right time calling artillery strike on enemy deployment zone just when they where starting to attack and devastating artillery fire hit right on the target with power of 50 tons of TNT just in couple of minutes and that tryout attack was over.

I never seen this happening in this game even when that should be possible to stop attack with artillery fire with decimating casulties to attacking side without being able to lauch attack at all. This game really gives a lot of better chances to attack than historically was possible.

I happens to me as Soviet. I do a hasty attack on a 1CV German unit. He takes no casualties while I take some and then my leaders call off the attack.

< Message edited by jomni -- 1/27/2011 5:31:05 AM >

(in reply to Jakerson)
Post #: 130
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 6:13:32 AM   
Jakerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni
I happens to me as Soviet. I do a hasty attack on a 1CV German unit. He takes no casualties while I take some and then my leaders call off the attack.

Its possible then at least some level then never happened to me. I dont whine about this I'm pretty happy about how artillery works in this game in grand scale as I just tested 1944 campaing and both sides have tons of artillery deployed on the line and casulties really grow from that a lot. Well soviet more but german can really do some bad damage.

< Message edited by Jakerson -- 1/27/2011 6:14:45 AM >

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 131
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 6:48:05 AM   
bwheatley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jakerson

EDIT: btw. this is not whining I understand that wargame need set of rules and is always abstraction of reality.

I too have had this happen as the soviets on the attack. :) Nice to see the germans making it hard for me!

(in reply to Jakerson)
Post #: 132
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 9:35:43 AM   
XAAL.

quote:

ORIGINAL: kirkgregerson

Ok, I've been reading a few of the following books lately that have been describing how the German Pz Div were almost 'super-human' in dealing with some of the most incredible tasks of defending an attacking.

Perhaps that day, gunners forgot to tell 203mm shells they would fall on the "super-human" germans, had they known, they would have refused to explode, of course
Same apply for the 19 IL-2, had they known they were attacking super-humans, they would refused to fire their guns when their "untermenschen" pilots press the trigger...
203mm shells and Il-2 planes, all in awe..... lol

According to your logic, the Germans should not lose any tanks when attacking forces in defense. OK, so one wonders how they managed to lose tanks in 1941 and 1942.
And it only take 1h to make a foxhole or a basic trench with a showel.

Ok, now take a chill out pill, thank you. lol

(in reply to kirkgregerson)
Post #: 133
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 11:00:22 AM   
amatteucci

I agree with the fact that Soviet air and support artillery units alone could be accounted for the majority of the losses the German force suffered. Therefore the "crack Panzerdivision vs. puny Rifle Division" argument is a moot point.

What is strange? That a regiment of 19 Il-2 disabled eight German AFVs? Or that a Guards high power artillery regiment, armed with 24 203mm howitzers, caused a few hundreds of WIAs and KIAs against moving troops in the open?

As it was already said, the attached combat report screenshot is, by itself, insufficient in proving that there's something absolutely and unbelievably wrong with the game system.

I'm not saying that there's plenty of evidence that there's no problem with the game combat system itself, I'm saying that there's no evidence of a problem, yet. This because we don't know what happened exactly (i.e. what Soviet units scored the kills) and we don't know how probable was this result (one should run the very same attack a lot of times and compare the results).

I don't agree with the opinion that such a result should be impossible to obtain in all circumstances and, therefore, the game shouldn't allow for such an outcome, even once in a thousand times.
I can rationalize such a result without problems, no suspension of disbelief needed.

Having said so, I, once more, present the request of having the option of dumping combat detailed results dumped into text file logs. Nobody would actually run the game resolving combats with level 7 descriptions. But it would be interesting to have the option to review in detail some combats, to understand better how things work in WitE and to base this kind of discussions upon hard data and not just our guesses.

< Message edited by amatteucci -- 1/27/2011 11:44:24 AM >

(in reply to XAAL.)
Post #: 134
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 11:12:54 AM   
76mm

I find a couple of points about kirkgregerson's ranting interesting:

1) he criticizes virtually everyone on this thread for failing to analyze or prove their positions and yet he has not provided the slightest "proof" of his assertions, other than to state his strongly-held opinion about how things should work.  By now several have posted excerpts from German reports to the effect that Russians could inflict signficant losses on panzers...what more do we need to do kirkgregerson?

2)  He is probably the first wargamer I've ever encountered that considers combat to be a determinitive process (ie, not involving luck), and who apparently wants this approach reflected in wargames as well.  In my view, his position is like saying that once you really drill down into the physics, rolling dice does not involve any luck at all, because based on the various properties and forces involved, you should be able to determine in advance what the result will be. Obviously this statement is true on some level, but not at the level of detail reflected in this game, as we have no idea about many significant factors which could have influenced the battle, including:
a) the specific terrain (generally open, but perhaps with various streams or the ravines common in parts of Russia),
b) how long the battle actually lasted/how it was conducted (ie, weekly turns, maybe attack launched in the evening as the panzers arrived, and Sovs withdrew at night, etc.),
c) whether there was fog on certain mornings which could have disrupted an attack or allowed the Sovs to escape,
d) etc. etc. etc.

For these reasons it is rather difficult for me to understand how someone could be so outraged by the results of this battle, I consider it a rather lucky for the Sovs but well within the realm of the possible.

And before further patronizing comments, yes, I have read more than a few books on this topic...

And I second the request to be able to turn on logging for the battle results; usually I keep in on Level 1 or 2, which is not very illuminating, but for seemingly anamolous results it would be great to go back and see what what driving the result.

< Message edited by 76mm -- 1/27/2011 11:14:58 AM >

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 135
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 11:30:21 AM   
MechFO

quote:

ORIGINAL: amatteucci

I agree with the fact that Soviet air and support artillery units alone could be accounted for the majority of the losses the German force suffered. Therefore the "crack Panzerdivision vs. puny Rifle Division" argument is a moot point.

What is strange? That a regiment of 19 Il-2 disabled eight German AFVs? Or that a Guards high power artillery regiment, armed with 24 203mm howitzers, caused a few hundreds of WIAs and KIAs against moving troops in the open?

As it was already said, the attached combat report screenshot is, by itself, insufficient in proving that there's something absolutely and unbelievably wrong with the game system.
The "crack Panzerdivision vs. puny Rifle Division" argument is a moot point, since Soviet air and support artillery units alone could be accounted for the majority of the losses the German force suffered.

The problem for me is mainly that the relative losses and the combat result don't add up. RETREAT is defined in the manual as a forced displacement, I checked to be sure, and that definition is repeated ad nauseam. So this wasn't a delaying action (which is it's own discussion).

This was by any measure a highly successful defensive action, so it should be a HOLD.

If it really was a RETREAT, then German losses can still be rationalised, but Russian losses are way too low.

(in reply to amatteucci)
Post #: 136
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 11:46:59 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: MechFO
The problem for me is mainly that the relative losses and the combat result don't add up. RETREAT is defined in the manual as a forced displacement, I checked to be sure, and that definition is repeated ad nauseam. So this wasn't a delaying action (which is it's own discussion).

This was by any measure a highly successful defensive action, so it should be a HOLD.

If it really was a RETREAT, then German losses can still be rationalised, but Russian losses are way too low.

It seems to me like you are wrapped up in semantics, I don't think that the distinctions that you are making between a "HOLD", a "delaying action" and a "retreat" are necessarily valid.

The Sovs retreated, so I don't see why it should be a HOLD? And why couldn't a successful delaying action be shown in the game as a retreat? Delaying actions generally do involve moving backwards under enemy pressure, not staying in place.

Finally, I don't understand why everyone considers these Sov losses so unbelievably low. As stated in a previous post, these turns are a week long...how do we know that the Russians did not retreat at night, or in the fog? As far as I know, clear weather for a weekly turn does not mean sunshine 24/7...

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 137
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 12:21:02 PM   
amatteucci

quote:

ORIGINAL: MechFO

I wonder how WitE would model a delaying action in a single combat (strictly speaking I guess it couldn't) but this is not important now.
OK, let's agree that the result was a "forced displacement", that is the defender was compelled by the situation to give way, even if it was not the intended course of action.

quote:

This wasn't by any measure a succesful defensive action, this was an action in which air and artillery support managed to inflict additional losses to the attacker but these losses were not sufficient to stop the attack in its tracks but merely to buy time for the defender that managed to withdraw without collapsing. The Rifle Division commander assessed the situation and judged that this was the best moment ro bug out, avoiding additional losses.
A retreat (and this is a retreat, not a route or a shattering overrun) almost always occurs because the defender decides to retreat, not because he's physically pushed aside by the attacking forces. Once a commander sees that there's no option to but to retreat it's logical to do so before the attacker can bring to bear all his weight and transform an ordinate retreat into a route.

quote:

I just think that it was a retreat because it was German pressure (and not a pre-made decision) that convinced the Soviet commander that he couldn't possibly hold more his position, but, at the same time, air and artillery denied the German commander the possibility to achieve overwhelming superiority.

If one sees this combat as two separate actions (the combat between lead elements of the Pz. Div and the defending RD and the long range artillery fire and air attacks into second echelon forces that were to reinforce the attack and exploit the success) I think the result could be rationalized anyway.
The leading elements of the Panzerdivision (say in batallion or regimental strength) start the attack and obtain an initial success against a section of the Soviet defensive line. Red air and artillery manage to delay the arrival of Axis reinforcing armour and infantry, so the attack goes on but at a slower pace than anticipated. The Soviet commander realize that the Germans are experiencing difficulties but coming reports make clear that the German speartip is still advancing and it's only matter of time before the Germans will be able to reach the depths of the defensive deployment. So he decides to oder a rifle regiment to bear the brunt of the action and allow the rest of the Division to disegnage and retreat.

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 138
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 12:42:19 PM   
PMCN

The situation is a result of people having assumptions that build expectations.  When those expectations are not fulfilled then that leaves the person with two options.  The first is to go back to the assumption you made and revise them, the second is to state that reality is wrong.

I hate to say this but I and most people do the second a lot more than we should.

The results are the reality, the problem was both the expectation and the assumptions that produced it.  For the sake of your sanity if you are playing the axis and are entering 42 accept that as far as how your units performed in 41...diese zeit ist vorbei...this time is at an end.  You still can look forward to "Von Kleist's panzers roamed at will over the Russian steppes" but the time when you could ignore the Russians and concentrate on finding out where you are on your horrid maps is done.  The soviet forces have undergone 3 TOE changes, they have a core of mortars, artillery and machine guns that will make advancing to contact a lot more costly then it was in the golden days of the summer and fall of 41.  Factor it in, because if you don't you are going to be in for a lot of trouble in a few months.

Turn up the message level to 4 at least occasionally so you can learn what the game is about, for your own sake please do this.  I can't stress this enough.  These results were not a "fluke" the only thing that may be random is if the unit in question suffered from serious retreat attrition as that is (as far as I can figure out from the manual) a single leader check.  The number of rolls in combat is so high that you are always in the middle of the Guassian curve.  I have executed 3 near identical attacks in one turn the variance in results was negligible.  Air support, SU's and so on change the results...having a mixed flak battalion showed up cost me 80 tanks out of 150 for example, reinforcements etc all these can change the results but when they aren't factors or not significant ones then the results are consistent.

(in reply to amatteucci)
Post #: 139
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 1:17:38 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I find a couple of points about kirkgregerson's ranting interesting:

1) he criticizes virtually everyone on this thread for failing to analyze or prove their positions and yet he has not provided the slightest "proof" of his assertions, other than to state his strongly-held opinion about how things should work.  By now several have posted excerpts from German reports to the effect that Russians could inflict signficant losses on panzers...what more do we need to do kirkgregerson?

2)  He is probably the first wargamer I've ever encountered that considers combat to be a determinitive process (ie, not involving luck), and who apparently wants this approach reflected in wargames as well.  In my view, his position is like saying that once you really drill down into the physics, rolling dice does not involve any luck at all, because based on the various properties and forces involved, you should be able to determine in advance what the result will be. Obviously this statement is true on some level, but not at the level of detail reflected in this game, as we have no idea about many significant factors which could have influenced the battle, including:
a) the specific terrain (generally open, but perhaps with various streams or the ravines common in parts of Russia),
b) how long the battle actually lasted/how it was conducted (ie, weekly turns, maybe attack launched in the evening as the panzers arrived, and Sovs withdrew at night, etc.),
c) whether there was fog on certain mornings which could have disrupted an attack or allowed the Sovs to escape,
d) etc. etc. etc.

For these reasons it is rather difficult for me to understand how someone could be so outraged by the results of this battle, I consider it a rather lucky for the Sovs but well within the realm of the possible.

And before further patronizing comments, yes, I have read more than a few books on this topic...

And I second the request to be able to turn on logging for the battle results; usually I keep in on Level 1 or 2, which is not very illuminating, but for seemingly anamolous results it would be great to go back and see what what driving the result.

All good points -- especially the point that the Russians could have done their airstrikes and artillery late in the afternoon, taken a small beating and pulled out at night.
I think it might also be worth considering that the game does seem to model reconnaissance. I think an attack with better info on the defenders has a better chance of inflicting losses earlier. I'm not sure of this but I recall seeing a combat result of "enemy scouted"...which imples that the next hasty attack that turn will have some advantages.

Let's suppose an unscouted defender has some advantages. The attacker knows he is there, but has no exact information about what the defender has, or his exact strength or location. The attacker tries to push the defender aside with minimal force (a hasty attack) and after being hit by airstrikes and artillery only belatedly engages the defenders main line of defense. Both sides take loses and the defender retreats without ever having be hit by the full force of the attacker.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 140
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 1:38:33 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

I wonder how would the whiners and "determinists" explain the result of Allied invasion of Kiska, completely empty island, abandoned in secret before the invasion.

"On August 15, 1943, an invasion force consisting of 34,426 Allied troops, including elements of the 7th Infantry Division, 4th Infantry Regiment, 87th Mountain Combat team, 5,300 Canadians (the 6th and 7th Infantry Divisions), 95 ships (including three battleships and a heavy cruiser), and 168 aircraft landed on Kiska, only to find the island completely abandoned. The Japanese, aware of the loss of Attu and the impending arrival of the larger Allied force, had successfully removed their troops on July 28 under the cover of severe fog, without the Allies noticing. Allied casualties during this invasion nevertheless numbered close to 200, all either from friendly fire, booby traps set out by the Japanese to inflict damage on the invading allied forces, or weather-related disease. There were seventeen Americans and four Canadians killed from either friendly fire or booby traps, fifty more were wounded as a result of friendly fire or booby traps, and an additional 130 men came down with trench foot. The destroyer USS Abner Read hit a mine, resulting in 87 casualties."

Several hundered casualties.... over an empty island? No need for a Russian INF division supported by 203mms and IL-2s.

I cannot even imagine the outcry on the boards if OP and his pro-"super human"-Axis mates got this kind of result from a GAME.

(in reply to MengJiao)
Post #: 141
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 1:56:16 PM   
PMCN

Just to show that this is not insane here is a sequence from my last turn.

58th Mnt Division is attacked by 57th, 71st, 218th, 298th Infantrie, 101st Jäger, 52 Torino IT Infantry, 108th Hun Sec division and the 2nd Fort RM Bde.  Fort level is 3 or so.
Axis airsupport: 18 Ftr, 9 Bmb
Soviet airsupport: 235 Ftr, 9 Bmb

Axis Troops: 92K men, 1146 guns, 0 Tanks
Soviet Troops: 15K men, 189 guns, 39 Tanks --the 155 Sep. Tank Bn was added in

Axis Losses: 1373 men, 36 guns, 0 Tanks
Soviet Losses: 3932 men, 119 guns, 22 Tanks

58th Mountain Division after retreating is attacked by the 23rd Panzer, 11th and 57th Infantrie divisions
Axis airsupport: 0 Ftr, 0 Bmb
Soviet airsupport: 145 Ftr, 35 Bmb

Axis Troops: 37K men, 375 guns, 169 Tanks
Soviet Troops: 14K men, 126 guns, 0 Tanks

Axis Losses: 595 men, 22 guns, 3 Tanks
Soviet Losses: 319 men, 11 guns, 0 Tanks

The 58th Mountain retreats to a position held by the 6th Tank Corp and the combined force faces off against the 2nd, 14th and 16th Panzer divisions.  Entrenchment level is probably 1.5 or so.
Soviet airsupport: 54 Ftr, 27 Bmb

Axis Troops: 35K men, 358 guns, 262 Tanks
Soviet Troops: 18K men, 172 guns, 162 Tanks

Axis Losses: 476 men, 3 guns, 5 Tanks
Soviet Losses: 2935 men, 62 guns, 72 Tanks

Lastly the 58th Mnt division and the 6th Tank Corps after retreating are hit by the 2nd, 9th, and 13th Pz Divisions.  Entrenchment level would again be minimal.
Soviet airsupport: 0 Ftr, 0 Bmb

Axis Troops: 31K men, 317 guns, 283 Tanks
Soviet Troops: 15K men, 117 guns, 102 Tanks

Axis Losses: 382 men, 5 guns, 16 Tanks
Soviet Losses: 705 men, 9 guns, 19 Tanks

The axis forces lost about the same amount in the last three fights.  Given the fact the Tank Corps was 2 or at most 3 weeks old its combat power was virtually nil...most of the troops had experiences below 20, and the tanks were only low 40s.  The initial loss of 72 tanks would have been every light tank in the formation (it had more then TOE because the 3 Bde the corps was made give you around that many add in a few T34s and KV1s damaged and lost in the retreat).

The losses vary somewhat but more so on the soviet side where the leaders retreat roll is the real question.  The losses of the post that started this are in line with what is seen here.  Attacking the soviets in 42 cause those level of losses that is all there is to it, I didn't watch the fights in detail because it was late but I could show another 4 battles with near identical results in fact I have one that replicates nearly exactly the battle at the start of this all...and the results are that the 2nd Pz division took 596 men, 8 guns and 4 tanks in losses pushing out the 46th Rifle (in its 3rd retreat of the week).

(in reply to MengJiao)
Post #: 142
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 2:21:52 PM   
mmarquo

This thread is almost as entertaining as playing WITE

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 143
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 2:58:40 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

I wonder how would the whiners and "determinists" explain the result of Allied invasion of Kiska, completely empty island, abandoned in secret before the invasion.

"On August 15, 1943, an invasion force consisting of 34,426 Allied troops, including elements of the 7th Infantry Division, 4th Infantry Regiment, 87th Mountain Combat team, 5,300 Canadians (the 6th and 7th Infantry Divisions), 95 ships (including three battleships and a heavy cruiser), and 168 aircraft landed on Kiska, only to find the island completely abandoned. The Japanese, aware of the loss of Attu and the impending arrival of the larger Allied force, had successfully removed their troops on July 28 under the cover of severe fog, without the Allies noticing. Allied casualties during this invasion nevertheless numbered close to 200, all either from friendly fire, booby traps set out by the Japanese to inflict damage on the invading allied forces, or weather-related disease. There were seventeen Americans and four Canadians killed from either friendly fire or booby traps, fifty more were wounded as a result of friendly fire or booby traps, and an additional 130 men came down with trench foot. The destroyer USS Abner Read hit a mine, resulting in 87 casualties."

Several hundered casualties.... over an empty island? No need for a Russian INF division supported by 203mms and IL-2s.

I cannot even imagine the outcry on the boards if OP and his pro-"super human"-Axis mates got this kind of result from a GAME.

If subhuman arctic vegetation and fog caused anything to happen to the elite cream of creation...well I really can't imagine the streams of invective.

Surely it is enough to imagine somebody realizing there is a remote possibility that something might trouble the properly superhuman, elite, cream of the best, able-to-defeat-anything, Pz (notice I say 'Pz' not Panzer. but that apparently this should not be considered as in anyway suggesting there is anything non-Panzer about any Panzers. In fact if you have Panzers and some Panzers are PanzerGrenadiers then real panzers are PanzerPanzers and since there are Volkgrenadiers then PanzerGrenadiers are really PanzerPanzerGrenadiers so real Panzers are PanzerPanzerPanzers, hence Pz is a polite way of saying PanzerPanzerPanzer) and why stop at Divisions? Aren't entire civilizations what are really PanzerPanzerPanzer and since there are civilizations that are just cz then a PanzerPanzerPanzerCivilization is really a PanzerPanzerPanzerPanzer Civilization or a PzCz.
Anyway, nothing should ever be able to hinder or harm a PzCz or any of its manifestations. And where is there anything to the contrary? I've been reading Glantz and the memoirs of PanzerGeneral Eardnusse (who, by the way for your information, just in case you can read, was really there and you weren't and you can't read anyway) and nowhere does it say anything other than "the PzCz smashed (note the verb "smashed") anything you can imagine with less than 2 Panzers in its name.

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 144
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 3:16:13 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marquo

This thread is almost as entertaining as playing WITE

NO, that is not true

But almost

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to mmarquo)
Post #: 145
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 3:19:42 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

You must not read the right books. It is clear that, ahem, superhumans would not have suffered these casualties like the bumbling Americans and Canadians.

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 146
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 3:30:28 PM   
Aurelian

Such a mountain made out of a molehill of a non issue.

And the end result of the OP's batte was........... the Soviets lost

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 147
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 3:50:43 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

Such a mountain made out of a molehill of a non issue.

And the end result of the OP's batte was........... the Soviets lost

You don't seem to be seeing the true horror of the situation: those subhuman, virtually animalistic Stalinist riff-raff, in the open, sunning themselves while drinking alcholic spirits and not taking baths, withno training, people that Glantz admits made even trained anthropologists put on rubber gloves, people without the faintest idea there was even a war going on, people that the NVKD used to not even bother shooting since they were a waste of bullets, people who had been confused and isolated dozens of times without even knowing it, people who had been bombed inceasantly for years, people made deaf by their own zoological noises, managed to fire heavy artillery and call in airstrikes and actually do measurable damage to the most perfect creation of all time: the Panzer Division.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 148
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 4:35:03 PM   
cookie monster

This thread is seriously wierd!

As I said before those German Security divisions are a serious pain.

They give out some serious punishment.

Thanks for Joel writing about Hasty Attacks.

I only use hasty for follow up attacks on the same unit cos they are very bloody.

I'm playin the Soviets but Hasty attacks drain alot of manpower.

(in reply to MengJiao)
Post #: 149
RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something wa... - 1/27/2011 5:48:53 PM   
bwheatley

quote:

ORIGINAL: amatteucci

I'm not saying that there's plenty of evidence that there's no problem with the game combat system itself, I'm saying that there's no evidence of a problem, yet. This because we don't know what happened exactly (i.e. what Soviet units scored the kills) and we don't know how probable was this result (one should run the very same attack a lot of times and compare the results).

I don't agree with the opinion that such a result should be impossible to obtain in all circumstances and, therefore, the game shouldn't allow for such an outcome, even once in a thousand times.
I can rationalize such a result without problems, no suspension of disbelief needed.

Having said so, I, once more, present the request of having the option of dumping combat detailed results dumped into text file logs. Nobody would actually run the game resolving combats with level 7 descriptions. But it would be interesting to have the option to review in detail some combats, to understand better how things work in WitE and to base this kind of discussions upon hard data and not just our guesses.

+1 for dumping detailed combat results to a log file to review later. Then you wouldn't have to run the battle super slow and high detail but if you get a weird result. You could immediately look into the combat log and see whats happened.

(in reply to amatteucci)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Utter madness... if you didn't believe something was wrong before Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI