Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Roman city militia advantage comment

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War >> Roman city militia advantage comment Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Roman city militia advantage comment - 2/17/2011 3:51:14 PM   
lavanpk

Maybe this is by design but it irks me a little (being biased toward Carthage naturally) that the Romans get a "built in" city militia recovery advantage - effectively twice as fast - because of the turn sequence. Here's what I see happening: On my turn Carthage conquers a Roman minor city (say a minor city with 2 militia garrison) and it becomes a Carthagian city with 1 militia garrison. On the next Roman phase they attack and conquer this same minor city (with a reduced 1 militia garrison) and it now it becomes a Roman city again with a 1 militia garrison. The Romans conclude their phase and the turn ends and both Roman and Carthagian city garrisons recover. This means that if Carthage were to attack this same (unfortunate) city on their next phase the Roman garrison is fully recovered with a 2 militia garrison. Because milita recovery occurs at the end of a turn Carthage never gets the opportunity to attack Roman city garrisons at their weakest state as the Romans always get. So I think milita recovery should take place at the end of next opponents phase after conquest for both Rome and Carthage, not the end of the current turn. This would reflect the same passage of time needed for militia recovery on both sides.

I suppose one could make the argument that the Roman militia advantage is based on their superior organizational skills or something like that, but I don't agree that this advantage should apply to Spain and the African provinces where presumably the locals would be less likely to cooperate with their new masters. In this case I'd like to see Carthage at least have the same advantage that Rome has in their native provinces.
Post #: 1
RE: Roman city militia advantage comment - 2/17/2011 8:46:55 PM   
vonRocko

I understand what you are saying. I feel these little advantages for the AI are good though, it helps keep it challenging.

(in reply to lavanpk)
Post #: 2
RE: Roman city militia advantage comment - 2/18/2011 4:53:46 AM   
mercenarius

This problem simply managed to fall off of my plate, as it were. I'll try to squeeze a fix for it into the final 1.0.3 patch.

I do agree somewhat with vonRocko in that this does help the AI a little but I suppose that it won't unbalance things to make the militia recovery symmetrical.

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 3
RE: Roman city militia advantage comment - 2/18/2011 3:29:09 PM   
nalivayko

I actually like the way it's implemented right now, but I do agree that Carthage should recover faster in Africa and Spain.

(in reply to mercenarius)
Post #: 4
RE: Roman city militia advantage comment - 2/18/2011 7:01:17 PM   
lavanpk

vonRocko: My sympathy for the Roman AI diminished after it called my leadership "deficient"...

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War >> Roman city militia advantage comment Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI