Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) versus Cribtop (J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) versus Cribtop (J) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/17/2011 1:35:27 AM   
princep01

Let the Games begin!

Ron Burgundy

(in reply to HMS Resolution)
Post #: 61
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/17/2011 2:21:11 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: HMS Resolution

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

Your girlfriend?

I would be ecstatic if GFU took any interest but no.

It's actually for a college professor of mine that I still keep in touch with. Back when warplan orange was being made I requested that his name be entered as the captain of one of his royal majesty's battleships and he got a kick out of that (royal navy historian). I'm sure he'd get a kick out of cf's writing as well.

What's he written on it? Anything we might have heard of?

Unless you subscribe to academic publications and the Journal of Military History, probably not. His last book was actually not on the RN but the antebellum buildup in England. Although last we spoke he was working on a book on the FAA, which I'm dying to read when its finished.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 62
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/17/2011 4:13:21 PM   
rjopel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

quote:

CF, I was under the impresion that at some point you had released the Hibiki saga as an ebook available for purchase from an online publisher. Is that still around?

I looked for it in Lulu.com but could not find it.
Cuttlefish did you ever release it?

No, I never did finish that project. If people are still interested I might go ahead and do so, however.

Would love to see the other story published. As well as this one.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 63
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/17/2011 9:13:54 PM   
HMS Resolution

quote:

Unless you subscribe to academic publications and the Journal of Military History, probably not. His last book was actually not on the RN but the antebellum buildup in England. Although last we spoke he was working on a book on the FAA, which I'm dying to read when its finished.

I get around, try me.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 64
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/17/2011 11:54:12 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

I get around, try me.

http://www.amazon.com/Appeasement-Rearmament-1936D1939-James-Levy/dp/0742545385

Heres the book. Not sure if the articles are online anywhere. I think he had 2 more books, probably in the 80s but I've never seen them online.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 65
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/19/2011 7:26:00 PM   
HMS Resolution

quote:

Heres the book. Not sure if the articles are online anywhere. I think he had 2 more books, probably in the 80s but I've never seen them online.

I HAVE heard of him! I think he also wrote a book on the Home Fleet that I've wanted for a good long while, but could never afford. I actually almost wrote him when I was thinking about trying for grad school. How cool!

edit: I also read this by him a while ago, although I take slight issue with his f/n 7 re: the comparison of Formidable and Yorktown, to wit that the USN was not impressed by the attache's observations, just going on the marginal notes.

< Message edited by HMS Resolution -- 3/19/2011 7:33:30 PM >

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 66
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/19/2011 7:38:44 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

I HAVE heard of him! I think he also wrote a book on the Home Fleet that I've wanted for a good long while, but could never afford. I actually almost wrote him when I was thinking about trying for grad school. How cool!

Yes he did. I dont even want to know how much it costs. I shamelessly borrowed his to read. I dont think he thought any less of me, as I was a poor student at the time.

If you do decide to write to him, you will find that he is one of the most genuine and approachable people you'll ever meet.

Post #: 67
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/26/2011 11:09:11 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

Cribtop and I are just waiting for the new patch to be official. Any day now...

This is just mean "fish". A promise of paradise..., but with the "developers" holding the keys. I hope those guys realize just how many people are waiting on them...

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 68
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/27/2011 2:53:32 AM   
Cribtop

CF,

FYI, I popped into the beta patch thread and MichaelM confirmed that the patch is code only and wouldn't require a restart. Perhaps we should sally forth before the beta is made final?

E-mail me to discuss further.

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 3/27/2011 2:55:37 AM >

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 69
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/27/2011 9:50:38 PM   
Cuttlefish

Cribtop is working on his first turn, so this thing should be getting started in earnest within a few days.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 70
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/27/2011 10:09:14 PM   
nashvillen

All hail Cuttlefish and Cribtop!

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 71
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/27/2011 11:51:53 PM   
Cribtop

Nash,

First, great sig art. Second, love the B-10 icon! How much HI to produce that beast? I was a huge Star Fleet Battles player, usually played Romulans.

As CF mentioned, we should be getting started soon so I will make this my last post in this thread.

Best of luck, Cuttlefish. Can't wait to read the story and I hope to provide an entertaining war.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 72
December 7, 1941 - 4/4/2011 6:23:59 PM   
Cuttlefish

December 7, 1941

USS West Virginia, Battleship Row, Pearl Harbor

It looked like it was going to be a nice morning. Though the nearby mountains were wreathed in mist only a few scattered clouds drifted over Pearl Harbor. Bill Bonderman crossed the fantail of West Virginia with two wooden folding chairs under each arm, heading for the rows of chairs already set out for the morning service. He could see the chaplain nearby talking with a pair of sailors.

Battleship Row was a grand sight in the morning sunshine. Ahead of West Virginia was Oklahoma. Tennessee was inboard and looking out over the stern Bonderman could see Arizona, with the repair ship Vestal tied up alongside. The big warships looked trim and neat. Bonderman took a moment to admire the view.

Something caught his eye to the southeast. Out over the Southeast Loch a swarm of planes was heading his way, unusually low. Bonderman watched them for a moment, puzzled. His mind raced through possible explanations, discarding each in turn and then reaching for a new one like a man trying on a series of ill-fitting coats. Some kind of unannounced training exercise? A group of pilots out for an early morning joy-ride? Maybe, he thought, they were off-course and the pilots were just now realizing with dismay where they were and how many regs they were breaking.

The reality, that he was looking at an unhindered and picture-perfect attack run by hostile planes against his own ship, refused to occur to him. Even when torpedoes dropped with a splash from the four lead planes the truth still would not register. And then the first torpedo hit.

It struck aft and the shock threw Bonderman to the deck. He stood up, tasting blood from a cut inside his mouth. In an instant, it seemed, the peaceful Sunday morning had been turned into raging chaos. Men were running and yelling, the air rumbled with explosions, and planes buzzed overhead. Bonderman looked up and saw red circles on their wings. And then, finally, he knew what was going on.

Training took over and carried him through the shock. He turned and headed forward, heading for his post in the radio room. He had to get there, he had to broadcast a warning about the attack...

Above and slightly behind the torpedo bombers were more planes. These released their bombs and one landed neatly between turrets three and four. This time Bonderman kept his feet but flames leaped up almost instantly. The heat was searing. Fixed on his purpose, Bonderman skirted the inferno and continued forward. Then another bomb hit and Bonderman felt himself lifted up and into the air. With a kind of nightmare slowness he saw the rail pass beneath him and then he was out over the water. There was no sound but a kind of hissing white noise. He wondered almost idly where he was going and what would happen when he got there. Down, down he fell, turning once end over end. And then there was a stinging impact and water closed over his head.

Bonderman broke the surface, sputtering. Everything snapped back into focus. He looked around and oriented himself, then struck out past West Virginia's stern towards Ford Island. The precariousness of his position was appalling. He could feel the jolts of explosions transmitted through the water and knew that if a bomb or torpedo struck nearby the concussion would turn him to jelly. Not only that, oil was beginning to spread across the water. If that caught fire he would die an even more unpleasant death.

The sailor swam strongly but inexpertly, hindered by his clothing. Growing up in Lubbock had not afforded him many chances to learn to swim and in two years in the navy he had not tried to improve his skills. That may have been a mistake, he thought wryly as he clawed through the water.

Lord, he murmured to himself in silent prayer as he struggled along, I understand that you might be kind of busy right about now. But if you could send a break or two my way I surely would appreciate it. I've been tryin' to be a better man and if I get through this I'll try even harder. Your will be done, of course.

He swam into a patch of oil. The thick stuff fouled the inside of his mouth and stung his eyes. Bonderman spat and struggled on. The attack that was raging all around him faded away. His entire focus was on continuing forward, in finding the strength to continue to propel himself on. Now he was past Tennessee. The last thirty feet seemed to take him forever but at last his feet touched the silty bottom. On his hand and knees he floundered out of the water, his oil-streaked clothing sticking to him. He retched salt water and oil. A strong hand grasped his arm and pulled him upright. It was a burly man, shoeless, in dungarees and a t-shirt.

"They're strafing," yelled the man. Bonderman heard him only thinly through the hissing in his ears. "Come on!" He towed Bonderman away from the water and towards the shelter of some stacked crates. Bonderman followed, unspeakable grateful for the assistance. His legs felt like rubber. He reached the crates and flopped down behind them. Several other men were already crouched there. The man who had helped Bonderman disappeared, heading back towards the water.

Bonderman raised his head and looked back at his ship. He couldn't see much. Smoke was billowing up from Tennessee and it obscured his vision. All around were smoke and flames and through it all swarmed the Japanese planes, destroying almost at will. At least now some were being chased by bursts of anti-aircraft fire.

One of the men beside him yelled and pointed and Bonderman looked, just in time to see Maryland, anchored ahead of Tennessee, begin to roll onto her side. He watched as her bottom came into view. The water all around was filled with struggling men and to Bonderman's horror the oil that now covered the surface began to burn.

Tears filled his eyes. He shook his fist up at the swooping and diving planes.

"You bastards," he choked out, scarcely able to hear his own voice. "You'll pay for this. You'll pay!"

I would like to dedicate this entry to Dr. John Matheson. Growing up, I knew him as a friend and colleague of my father. But as a young man he was a crewman on USS West Virginia and was aboard her on that fateful Sunday morning. Dr. Matheson recognized my early interest in military history and to encourage me gave me some books from his own library, books I still have and treasure. I am happy to say that he is still with us.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 73
RE: December 7, 1941 - 4/4/2011 7:06:30 PM   
kaleun

Awesome retelling squid.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 74
RE: December 7, 1941 - 4/4/2011 7:10:35 PM   
nashvillen

One word: Goosebumps!

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 75
RE: December 7, 1941 - 4/4/2011 9:13:36 PM   
Andav

Thank goodness for another Cuttlefish AAR!

Walter

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 76
RE: December 7, 1941 - 4/5/2011 2:04:44 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

He could feel the jolts of explosions transmitted through the water and knew that if a bomb or torpedo struck nearby the concussion would turn him to jelly.

Bonderman's got brains. We're off to a rousing start!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 77
RE: December 7, 1941 - 4/5/2011 5:56:12 AM   
Grunt

quote:

I would like to dedicate this entry to Dr. John Matheson. Growing up, I knew him as a friend and colleague of my father. But as a young man he was a crewman on USS West Virginia and was aboard her on that fateful Sunday morning. Dr. Matheson recognized my early interest in military history and to encourage me gave me some books from his own library, books I still have and treasure. I am happy to say that he is still with us.

I wonder if Dr. Matheson might have know my uncle. My mother's brother was aboard the West Virginia Dec 7. He died of his burn wounds three days later.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 78
RE: December 7, 1941 - 4/5/2011 6:53:40 AM   
DOCUP

From a West Virginian, thanks to both Dr. Matheson and Grunts uncle thanks for there service as to all the others on this forum. Great story and writing Cuttlefish.

doc

(in reply to Grunt)
Post #: 79
RE: December 7, 1941 - 4/5/2011 6:20:02 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grunt

I wonder if Dr. Matheson might have know my uncle. My mother's brother was aboard the West Virginia Dec 7. He died of his burn wounds three days later.

It's entirely possible.

(in reply to Grunt)
Post #: 80
RE: December 7, 1941 - 4/5/2011 6:22:06 PM   
Cuttlefish

December 7, 1941

Aboard USS Gridley

Course: East
Attached to: TF 406
Mission: Air combat
Ship's Status: No damage
Fuel: 525 (100%)

Orders: Return to Pearl Harbor

The destroyer had secured from dawn general quarters and the crew had been piped down to chow. Jake Reedy had finished his food and was shooting the breeze with several of his shipmates when rapid footsteps clattered down the inclined ladder leading up to the galley passageway. Morris Crenshaw, a skinny sailor, burst into the mess. His eyes were wide.

"Guys!" he gasped. "The Japs are attacking Pearl Harbor!" This announcement was greeted with cries of derision.

"Christ, Crenshaw," said one man, "when are you going to learn not to drink that stuff that Blackie makes?"

"Yeah, and the Germans are invading New York, right?" scoffed another. Crenshaw shook his head.

"It's the real deal!" he insisted. "I got it straight from Jenks, who was on the bridge!" Groans echoed through the room. "Marbles" Jenks was the biggest teller of tall tales on the ship. He once claimed that he would be the next king of Tonga because he had married a princess there.

Crenshaw paused as he considered the source of his information. Then he grinned sheepishly.

"Aw hell," he said, "he got me good, didn't he?"

"Don't feel bad," Reedy told him genially. "He once convinced me that basking sharks had pearls in their gizzards. Sit down and have some coffee." Before Crenshaw could say anything further the harsh klaxon of the general alarm began to sound.

Reedy gulped his last swallow of coffee and leaped to his feet. Men swarmed out of all four mess rooms and up the two ladders to the galley passageway, which ran transversely across the ship. They piled through the hatches at either end and out on deck, each heading for his station. Reedy jostled around a number of other men and arrived at his machine gun. His loader, Gus Becken, was already there. As Reedy unhooked his helmet and clapped it on his head Becken lifted the phone and reported the gun manned and ready.

"What's going on?" he asked Reedy as he replaced the phone. Reedy shrugged.

"Maybe the Japanese are attacking Pearl Harbor," he said, repeating the joke he had just heard at mess. Becken grinned. Any reply was cut off by the voice of Captain Stickney coming over the speakers.

"This is the Captain," Stickney said. His voice sounded hollow coming over the speakers but his tone was calm. "We are receiving reports that Pearl Harbor is under attack. No joke. I'll pass more information along when we get it. That is all." There was a click and then silence.

Reedy and Becken looked at each other. Becken swore softly, almost wonderingly.

"They couldn't...could they?" he asked.

"I don't know," said Reedy. "It might be some sort of mix-up somewhere." But a cold trickle of worry was beginning to creep into his thoughts.

A few moments later Becken nudged him and pointed. Across the water brightly colored pennants were being hoisted aloft by Enterprise. Both men read the message they displayed: "Prepare for Battle." Reedy's trickle of worry became a flood. Halsey probably had a lot more information than he had and the admiral was not given to jumping at shadows.

"That's it," he said. "We're at war."

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 81
RE: December 7, 1941 - 4/6/2011 1:54:21 AM   
kaleun

Great buildup. 

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 82
RE: December 7, 1941 - 4/6/2011 3:03:40 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Awesome, CF!

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 83
RE: December 8, 1941 - 4/7/2011 3:13:35 AM   
Cuttlefish

December 8, 1941

USS West Virginia, Battleship Row, Pearl Harbor

On board West Virginia Bill Bonderman and a team of sailors were clearing smoldering wreckage out through gaping holes in the deck, one of several such crews that had been at work for hours. It was dirty, dangerous, and sickening work. Too many times the crews found men or bits of men, objects of horror that only a day ago had been friends and shipmates. And though the serious fires had been knocked down some areas still remained too hot to enter.

There had been no question of moving the big battleship. Her decks were awash and her keel was in the mud. Captain Bennion was dead, killed by bomb fragments that ripped through the bridge during yesterday's attack. Smoke still rose up here and there, as it did from other ships and from smoldering buildings around the harbor.

It had been a long twenty-four hours. Everyone's nerves were frayed. Shots rang out at intervals from jittery sentries and occasionally an anti-aircraft gun would open fire at some imagined threat. The night just past had been the worst. Anyone moving around in the dark risked being shot. There were dozens of rumors and stories. Each was more wild than the last and no one knew what to believe.

Gliders and paratroops were supposed to have landed at Kaneohe. Japanese transports had been sighted off Barber's point. Japanese carrier forces were reported to both the north and south of Oahu. Spies and saboteurs were said to be everywhere, carrying out bold and fantastic acts of sabotage.

Bonderman wiped his forehead with the back of his filthy and soot-stained glove. The petty officer in charge told them to take five and the weary men slumped to the deck. Before they even had time to dig out smokes the air raid sirens began to wail.

It was quite a difference, from one day to the next, from peacetime to war. This time when the Japanese planes came no one was surprised, no one was frozen in disbelief. The anti-aircraft ammunition was out of the lockers and at the guns, all of which were manned. At Hickam, Bellows, and Wheeler airfields those Army fighters that could be salvaged from the wreckage were ready and their pilots were standing by.

The West Virginia men scrambled up and to their stations. Bonderman didn't head for the radio room this time - the radio room was a shattered wreck. Instead his work gang went to work passing ammunition to the port side anti-aircraft guns. He kept his head down and worked swiftly. Though very tired he was fueled by anger. This wasn't like the wild, drunken rages of the bar fights of his youth. This was a cold, burning, concentrated hate. So the bastards thought they'd come back and finish the job, did they? Well, take this! And this one!

The anti-aircraft gunners around the harbor did their job. Though they did not shoot down as many Japanese bombers as they claimed they kept up a heavy fire. More than thirty-five Tomahawks met the attackers as well. They accounted for several Zeroes, though they were heavily outnumbered by the Japanese fighters and many were lost. Trailing smoke from stricken aircraft on both sides added to the black clouds rising from the fires below.

West Virginia took another torpedo and two more bombs during the attack. With each hit the ship's fire slackened for a moment and then resumed. The battleship, already on the mud, couldn't sink much further. The danger now in the fires that broke out anew. Damage control teams raced to contain them despite the strafing and the bombs whistling down.

Finally the attack was over. The last Japanese planes departed. Bonderman could see that the already damaged battleships and port facilities had been hit hard, though not as hard as the day before. From somewhere on the other side of Ford Island a huge column of fire had roared into the air and he could still see heavy smoke in that direction.

No time to look around or even think, now. There was a ship to try and save. To the accompaniment of barked orders Bonderman and his exhausted, filthy shipmates went back to work.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 84
RE: December 8, 1941 - 4/7/2011 7:06:48 PM   
Cuttlefish

December 8, 1941

A farm near Rudyard, Michigan

Joe Beaumont stepped into the living room of the old farmhouse. His mother was sitting in her favorite chair, the one with the faded teal upholstery, her sewing basket on the little table beside her. Joe just stood there for a moment and when his mother finished mending the tear in the shirt she was repairing she looked up.

"Do something for you, Joe?" she said. Joe took a deep breath.

"Mother," he said simply, "I got to go."

His mother looked at him for a moment. She was a small woman, scarcely over five feet tall, but she dominated her brood of large sons with quiet authority. Now she looked Joe in the eye for a long moment. Joe held her gaze and after a moment she nodded.

"I know you do," she said. "I'll drive you into the Soo in the morning. Army?" Joe answered yes.

"It's going to be hard on you, and Gus and Jer," Joe said, referring to his two younger brothers. He spoke slowly, groping for words. "I feel bad about that. It's hard enough to run the farm even with me here"

"You do what you have to do," said his mother. "And we will too. Everyone will have to, now. Besides," she said practically, "you will be taking care of us. Don't know that keeping this place going will do us much good if we lose the war. I'll hire Ned Beamish back as a hand, he knows his way around the place."

"Old Man Beamish?" Joe asked. He had worked around the farm off and on back when his father was still alive but he was an old man now. Real old, Joe figured, probably over sixty.

"He'll manage," his mother said. "Now you go tell your brothers. I got a pile of work to do if I'm going to take you into town tomorrow." She spoke briskly but Joe had a suspicion that she bent back quickly to her sewing to hide tears in her eyes. He wanted to say something further but he never was much good at finding the right words. So after a moment he turned and left, leaving her in the room alone.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 85
RE: December 8, 1941 - 4/7/2011 7:14:25 PM   
kaleun

That was so good!

Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 86
RE: December 8, 1941 - 4/8/2011 7:39:01 AM   
Cuttlefish

December 8, 1941

Aboard USS Gridley

Course: East
Attached to: TF 406
Mission: Air combat
Ship's Status: No damage
Fuel: 482 (91%)

Orders: Evade Japanese carriers, return to Pearl Harbor

Lieutenant Commander Fred Russell Stickney, Gridley's captain, strolled to the fantail and stood looking out at the destroyer's long, slightly curved wake, hands clasped behind his back. He was not the whippet he had been when he ran track at Annapolis - he was in the class of '25 - but he still had something of a runner's build, long and lean.

His habitual expression was stern and reserved. His eyes were intelligent and piercing under arched brows and a prominent nose lent strength to his pleasant, regular features. Only his friends, those privileged to refer to him as "Stick," usually ever saw the smile that could blunt the sternness with warmth and charm. Among his men he had the reputation of being extremely intelligent and, though a strict disciplinarian, always fair.

Right now, however, it was he who was gauging the temper of his men. He had walked about the ship, speaking briefly to this man or that, getting a feel for how his crew was reacting to being at war. And he wanted to reassure them, via his calm demeanor, that all was well and that their officers were on the ball and knew what was going on.

It was unnerving, having the feeling that one's superiors had no real idea what was going on or what about what do it. Stickney appreciated that, appreciated it very well.

After the attack at Pearl on the 7th Halsey had turned the task force to the south. He apparently had information that the Japanese attack had come from that direction and he intended to find them and strike back. Late in the day, when it became clear that the Japanese had struck from the north, Halsey turned his ships in that direction. But then orders had come in directing the admiral to turn back south and link up with the Yorktown group, avoiding contact with the Japanese.

Stickney was willing to bet that Halsey wasn't too happy about that. He also thought, privately, that it was a good idea. While he still had no clear idea about what had happened at Pearl it seemed clear that hundreds of Japanese planes had been involved in the attack. Enterprise had about seventy planes. Stickney could figure the odds involved about as well as anybody.

This was all pretty clear. Everything else, though, was chaos. What information they were getting was tinged with hysteria. The second Japanese attack, earlier today, had only made things worse. And then they had received news from Indianapolis that the cruiser had been torpedoed less than 150 miles from their position and was sinking. It was still hard to believe that the Japanese could strike as hard as they had, and as suddenly. Stickney knew that a few men in the task force still didn't really believe it. But he did. What had really convinced him, more than the dramatic declarations of air raids or anything else, were the urgent calls his signals section had picked up requesting that all medical personnel report to the naval hospital at Pearl, and requesting all available anesthetics as well.

The captain turned and looked back forward at his ship. The men would do, he thought. They were well-trained and though they seemed sobered by events he could tell they were eager for a fight. They would get one, he figured, and maybe soon. And it would be his job to lead them in and, if possible, to bring them back

He had held this, his first destroyer command, for less than a month. And now it was a wartime command. The men wouldn't let him down; well, he wouldn't let them down either.

He made his way forward as Gridley surged ahead, a bone in her teeth, racing towards a future obscured by the shadows of war.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 87
RE: December 8, 1941 - 4/8/2011 8:15:42 AM   
Speedysteve

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 88
RE: December 8, 1941 - 4/8/2011 9:39:15 AM   
aprezto

I remember, in the Vanilla WitP days, an AAR about a single Japanese Destroyer and maybe scoffing at the idea a little. At that point I was more interested in the 'grand game'; the moves of titans. I also had little time, sneaking a schoolboy's-naughty-glance at the AAR boards during work, like it was a saucy magazine hidden in my homework (damn you mailmarshal - unlike teacher you never slept!)

However, I had a change of circumstance that allowed me more time, and there was no marshal to stop me whittling away the hours on the boards.

It was then that I returned to your Hibiki AAR, which by that time was about 130 pages long. I can relate just how marvellous it was to find such a gem. I read the whole thing through like it was an unfolding novel.

Sensational.

And here I am, lucky this time to know to be in at the beginning. Cuttlefish, you write concisely and you convey your ideas without the need for over-embellishment, your characters stand so well, drawing the reader into investing emotion in their journey. That is the art of story telling. I'll try to read the story as it unfolds without cluttering it with any more chaff. Thanks for investing the time again.

< Message edited by aprezto -- 4/8/2011 9:40:30 AM >

Image courtesy of Divepac

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 89
RE: December 8, 1941 - 4/8/2011 2:59:54 PM   
PaxMondo

Go Gridlley!!!

Pax

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) versus Cribtop (J) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI