Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (Axis)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/17/2011 11:31:56 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Encircled, I can't help it. I am an organization freak

Anyway, I finally got a NEW Air Base!! On these last turns I had disbanded some air bases. Those on the map got 6 units minimum each, as per cpt flam's suggestion And this turn... BINGO! The 6 ShaD Air Base (for tactical bombers if I remember correctly) is here!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 5/17/2011 11:35:54 PM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 931
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/18/2011 12:10:40 AM   
mmarquo

TD...look at the supply needed/supply to see how many air units to leave per base...

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 932
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/18/2011 11:33:11 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Ouch! This turn is overwhelming I haven't done anything yet, I still have my best "man" planning an alternative...

If I want to have a balanced front, I have discovered that:

1) every Front must have 4 armies attached
2) the frontage of every army should be exactly of 4 hexes

Once the Voronezh Front will be here the frontage of many armies could perhaps be reduced to only 3 hexes. But now I can't afford this. That or my maths are totally uncorrect. Remember that I will NEVER overload any army. Stavka and Front HQs, it's inevitable, I guess.

Right now the Southwestern Front is covering a long front: like 150%. It is very stretched aka this front is necessarily weak. Unless I do something, of course.

Soooo. All the front-line Armies will be almost full: 23:24.
1 Tank Brigade
11 Rifle Divisions
= 23 command points

In theory, and that's only a start, the 4 front-line hexes of every army would get 2-units stacks. This leaves 3 Rifle divisions which will be behind. One of these three divisions (the most experienced) will be on reserve mode, like the tank brigade.

Given that I will rely on depth, I will possibly pull back more divisions from these front-line hexes and put them behind as well. But that will be during the summer.

If you think there is a best option, I am all ears

(in reply to mmarquo)
Post #: 933
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/18/2011 11:39:33 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marquo

TD...look at the supply needed/supply to see how many air units to leave per base...

Hey, the truth is I haven't paid attention to this yet Thank you.

Anyway, as I said, now I want the new air bases, simply because until I get rid of all the SAD bases, they will be randomly disbanded, and with them my tactical bombers: Il-2s (and therefore x front is losing tactical bombers for x turns). I want airbases that will be staying. Yes or yes So I will keep having this "6 units" thing until they are all gone.

They won't be missed

EDIT: I said the planes were disbanded as well. They are not. They are sent to the National Reserve.

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 5/18/2011 11:43:04 PM >

(in reply to mmarquo)
Post #: 934
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/18/2011 11:56:09 PM   
Klydon

A couple of things to take into consideration for planning:

4/42: you get a bump to all armies and front capacities: (army goes from 24 to 27 and front goes from 72 to 81).

Remember that when you form infantry corps, 3 infantry divisions (6 points) OR 2 infantry divisions and 1 brigade (5 points) becomes a infantry corps (4 points).

Post #: 935
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/19/2011 12:16:36 AM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon

A couple of things to take into consideration for planning:

4/42: you get a bump to all armies and front capacities: (army goes from 24 to 27 and front goes from 72 to 81).

Remember that when you form infantry corps, 3 infantry divisions (6 points) OR 2 infantry divisions and 1 brigade (5 points) becomes a infantry corps (4 points).

And I have found a rather powerful defensive/offensive carpet to be

1. Army four hex front
Front line four inf corps in first rank
Support line two inf corps in "Reserve" in second rank with three tank brigades (for greater depth put tank brigades in two line with gaps and the Reserve infantry corps behind them

2.THREE armies per Front

3. One "Filler" STAVKA army (if needed) with 27 points of NON-CORPS units between each Front (in some cases the Filler army may form a third line behind Front)

4. One-two "Builder" STAVKA armies in checkerboard behind front building forts

Until there are sufficient infantry corps, use inf div stacks- two high or three high depending upon need for frontline versus support line strength

This structure allows an Army depth of up to four hexes for flexible defense or a four corps, two brigade attack on a two hex front (while maintaining two corps as flank protection). The tank brigades also are excellent for exploiting counter-attacks on the flanks of breakthroughs. The "Builder" army behint the Front armies can also add another four-six hexes of checkerboard divisions to the defensive depth. Note that this structure does NOT overload either a Front or Army

Just a thought although it is usually 43 before this can be implemented across the entire front

< Message edited by pompack -- 5/19/2011 12:18:35 AM >

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 936
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/19/2011 11:51:13 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Ok... what I said! Overwhelming! I hope I won't need to do that again! Still, this was necessary, in my opinion. Stay organized, avoid chaos!

I ran out of APs though. I had 233, now I have around 50 left. I only could organize (from north to south) the Leningrad, Volkhov, Northwest, Kalinin and Western Fronts.

My maths were somewhat incorrect. And these are GOOD news I can have frontages of THREE hexes per army (instead of four). The thing is, two fronts only have 3 armies each (Volkhov and Northwest). If I attach a 4th army then I can have this 3 hexes frontage. I'll be doing that on the next future (before the summer, and that's a maximum).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 5/20/2011 12:06:16 AM >

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 937
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/20/2011 12:01:50 AM   
TulliusDetritus

Klydon and Pompack, thanks for the tips

On this 1942 year Infantry Corps are not my priority. I might be of course wrong but as I see it, I should be struggling to survive. Other AARs have clearly proved the Germans can create a big mess during 1942 (as it should be). Therefore I must be prudent. To me it's still 1941. I am much more strong and organized, yes, but still...

The Infantry Corps are basically a powerful offensive weapon. I will need them in 1943, I should have the initiative by then (in theory). Now I need lots of defenders. Tons of rifle divisions that can be massed in critical places, and in depth. If I form a lot of corps I will run out of these hordes. To me this is an unnecessary risk to take. NOW if I more or less survive the summer offensive (if there is one), I would start forming these corps in autumn, that's for sure

Post #: 938
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/20/2011 2:21:00 AM   
Klydon

I would consider forming some in your reserve Shock armies. It won't take a bunch, but some. Reason is you want some heavy counter punchers if he launches a major breakthrough someplace and you elect to commit reserves. Same for having some tank corps. The tank corps will need time to train up and their ToE will change for the better as time goes along. They should not really be used in combat early, but they are extremely helpful in getting through a Axis encirclement to reopen supply lines.

Of course if you want to get really ugly, build one infantry corps per army and put it on reserve.

Post #: 939
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/20/2011 4:02:57 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon

I would consider forming some in your reserve Shock armies. It won't take a bunch, but some. Reason is you want some heavy counter punchers if he launches a major breakthrough someplace and you elect to commit reserves.

This is exactly what I was thinking Only one Shock Army is in the front-line (Volkhov Front). The other three will be Stavka Armies Reserves. Units that should help to contain the main fascist push on summer '42. Therefore it makes a lot of sense. There will be few Infantry Corps formed (Stavka Reserves only during the defensive campaign), but for sure the best option is assigning them to these Shock Armies (the bonus thing) because their mission is the same: stop the German Panzers.

quote:

Same for having some tank corps. The tank corps will need time to train up and their ToE will change for the better as time goes along. They should not really be used in combat early, but they are extremely helpful in getting through a Axis encirclement to reopen supply lines.

That's something I totally ignored. Excellent advice that I have to remember. So yes, the few Tank Corps should be sent to these critical places (along with the Shock and Guards Armies) and IF the Panzers manage to form huge pockets, they'd be my 7th Cavalry thing

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 940
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/20/2011 4:21:44 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Terrible accident in my Southwestern Front area. The brakes of the steamroller stopped working here

I guess I should keep putting pressure here. He should bring forces to this place, and therefore weaken other places.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 941
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/20/2011 9:21:35 PM   
TulliusDetritus

What I said... I am going to put pressure in 2ndACR's weakest area. The best defence is a good attack, don't they say that? I brought the Stavka 4th Shock and 46th Armies and tons of Tank Brigades to see if I can steal some wallets, wristwatches and socks in this area... If he keeps ignoring these movements, I might bring more hordes... Just in case. We never know what the good Lord will be providing...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 942
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/20/2011 9:31:06 PM   
TulliusDetritus

This is how Fronts are going to look like. Example: Kalinin Front.

EDIT: no VVS Air Base for the Kalinin Air Command. Therefore NO recon and transport planes here.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 5/20/2011 9:33:35 PM >

Post #: 943
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/20/2011 10:16:04 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Oh, one more thing. The massive reorganization (to make room for the Volkhov Front) has also allowed me to divert between 15 and 20 rifle divisions, which where in the north (when I massively reinforced Leningrad approaches in the summer). These Rifle Divisions are now assigned to Stavka and will be sent to Moscow area. They will be reserves that will be attached to the various EMPTY Stavka reserve Armies. Or they will reinforce the Shock and Guards Armies.

Post #: 944
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/20/2011 10:23:18 PM   
TulliusDetritus

And the empty Stavka Reserve Armies. Most of them already have plenty of support attached but no units yet. Defensive duties, stop the fascist main thrust in the summer. Or... if 2ndACR makes some mistakes... they might help to terrorize him

Oh, there are as well the 3 and 33 Armies, but these ones ARE operational in fact (support AND units attached).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 5/20/2011 10:25:12 PM >

Post #: 945
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/21/2011 12:25:21 AM   
Joel Billings

The RR brigades should stay in the same HQ now even when going to auto rairl repair (with 1.04.22 version). Let us know if it's still not working (Gary said he found the smoking gun in the code).

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Post #: 946
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/21/2011 3:21:34 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

The RR brigades should stay in the same HQ now even when going to auto rairl repair (with 1.04.22 version). Let us know if it's still not working (Gary said he found the smoking gun in the code).

Good to know, thank you Although I suspect I won't be seeing my RR brigades repairing damaged rail hexes. The offensive is over. The Soviet players who are about to start the Blizzard Massacres will certainly appreciate this

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 5/21/2011 3:22:23 PM >

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 947
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/22/2011 8:09:41 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Turn 40

19 march 1942

I am perplexed I thought I would be getting some but... no... I'm the one who is terrorizing the other side If I well understood he only has one more snow turn, then mud during april.

Er, whatever. I keep attacking in the Southwestern Area (well, now it's Bryansk -reorganized this turn- and Southwestern areas). The two Panzer divisions wich were smashed last turn were smashed again (one of them twice) so fair enough.

As I already said, each army will retain one tank brigade. I am gathering the remaining tank brigades around Moscow to form some nasty Tank Corps.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 5/22/2011 8:10:00 PM >

Post #: 948
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/22/2011 8:13:15 PM   
TulliusDetritus

As you can see, I haven't fixed the brakes of the steamroller yet

Attachment (1)

Post #: 949
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/22/2011 8:14:42 PM   
TulliusDetritus

And more attacks in the south.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 950
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/22/2011 8:17:36 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I don't think this is going to work at all but who knows! I have to try it. At least he'll be thinking about defending, not about attacking.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 951
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/22/2011 8:23:27 PM   
TulliusDetritus

These are the only dangerous Panzers in the south... He is indeed weak

Attachment (1)

Post #: 952
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/22/2011 8:27:53 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Oh, and I've got another ShaD Air Base Again, I will fill this unit with tactical bombers (Il-2s basically). And I keep harvesting Guards. Now I have the 1st Guards Cavalry Corps.

Post #: 953
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/24/2011 9:51:32 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Turn 41

26 march 1942

On turn 24 (one turn before blizzard), I looked at the map and then saw the Dneprowhatever town. I thought I would never get there! Too far! Well, I am at the gates of the town! Not really interested in capturing it though

Which means massacres continue in the south, by the way...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 954
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/24/2011 9:59:32 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I keep reorganizing the fronts. Now the last front (Southwestern) received rifle divisions. Its armies will now get to the front, replacing some Bryansk Front armies which will be sent to the north (an "accordion movement" that is).

I also had to spend APs to reassign RR Brigades (the bug thing). Now every army from the Leningrad and Western Fronts have 3 RR Bdes, as before.

Given that now I can assign Tank Batallions (support units) to Armies HQs (I have bought such Bns for the 4 Leningrad Front armies this turn), I don't need anymore Tank Brigades attached to armies. They will be sent to Moscow area, to form Tank Corps. Every Front had one tank brigade (a reserve). I have decided that each front will have two brigades. The other ones will form Tank Corps.

Post #: 955
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/24/2011 10:11:16 PM   
randallw

Is it still snowing, in March?  Bad dice rolls for you opponent!

Post #: 956
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/24/2011 10:19:15 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Yep, snowing. Hmm, really, he is VERY weak in this area. He's got basically ants! I hit him very hard here (the Blizzard Massacres that is) so his units must be really really tired, depleted, etc. I suspect I need to keep pressure here.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 957
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/24/2011 10:20:50 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Massacres Part I

Attachment (1)

Post #: 958
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/24/2011 10:22:12 PM   
TulliusDetritus

And massacres Part II

Attachment (1)

Post #: 959
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/24/2011 10:27:06 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Without the battle thing to better appreciate the whole thing. Two enemy German HQs ran away. Two Tank Brigades sort of infiltrate

Attachment (1)

Post #: 960
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI