Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (Axis)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  33 34 35 36 [37]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/28/2011 9:40:26 PM   
TulliusDetritus

The state of my strategic reserves (NOT counting the ones already committed and mentioned on these last turns: Velikie Luki, Bryansk and the South areas).

In the north: 3rd Army.

All the regular armies have only 4 Rifle Divisions, BUT plenty of support units attached.

Attachment (1)

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 1081
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/28/2011 9:43:15 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Near Moscow I still have 4 Stavka Reserve Armies

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1082
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/28/2011 9:45:41 PM   
TulliusDetritus

And now only one Stavka Reserve Army in the south.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1083
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/28/2011 9:56:10 PM   
TulliusDetritus

But the thing is I have in fact MORE strategic reserves. Lots of Rifle Divisions attached to Stavka, NOT assigned to any army. The lot of them are near Moscow. Part of them were diverted from other fronts on last turn.

- already attached to Stavka: 20 Rifle Divisions
- diverted last turn: 10 Guards Rifle Divisions + 10 Rifle Divisions

Total: 10 Guards Rifle Divisions + 30 Rifle Divisions = 40 Rifle Divisions!

So in fact I think I am going to activate perhaps 3 or 4 armies (attached to Stavka) this turn: each one will get 4 Rifle Divisions.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1084
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/28/2011 10:23:42 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Another (in this case tactical) decision. Now the frontline is obviously thin. If I have lots of reserves this means the front has been stripped of many units

So, I try to keep at least ONE Guards Rifle Division in every army, divisions which are behind the front on reserve mode

Example: Leningrad Front.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 6/28/2011 10:25:01 PM >

Post #: 1085
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/28/2011 10:46:23 PM   
TulliusDetritus

After the counter-attack in the Volkhov Front vs the Panzer threat I pull back the forces again. Humm, I don't think I need more reserves, but maybe I might bring another Stavka Reserve Army... just in case

And of course I have various Cavalry and Tank Corps in the area as well...

And see behind these hordes. The diggers a) built forts and/or b) avoided the degradation of forts... So if I must pull back I will have F O R T I F I E D positions.

Which brings the following issue: when will I start merging the rifle brigades to form Rifle Divisions? ONLY when I'll be 100% sure that the German offensive is over. In october perhaps? So be it... And let people talk about the useless brigades...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1086
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/28/2011 11:17:57 PM   
TulliusDetritus

As I had said, the 3rd Guards Rifle Corps has been created. So now all the "important" Stavka Reserve Armies have one Guards Rifle Corps each. I am going to send and attach two Guards Rifle Divisions to this 1st Shock Army (Panzer threat in the south).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 6/28/2011 11:18:34 PM >

Post #: 1087
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/28/2011 11:22:07 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I too have assigned one squadron (British Hurricanes) to each Front Air Command.

Post #: 1088
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/29/2011 1:27:16 AM   
Kiith

Thanks for the AAR Tullius. I’m still just learning the game against the AI so reading your AAR has taught me a lot and also I’ve enjoyed it immensely. I really like the detail that you put into your army/front force composition but I’m puzzled by your latest move regarding your strategic reserve. So could you please take a moment to explain why you’ve made many smaller armies instead of one or two large armies to act as your strategic reserve?

Post #: 1089
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/29/2011 2:21:29 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kiith
I’m puzzled by your latest move regarding your strategic reserve. So could you please take a moment to explain why you’ve made many smaller armies instead of one or two large armies to act as your strategic reserve?

I think I have decided to form lots of small armies mostly because I'm a moron Not a joke, really. I see those Army HQs and want to play with them. Just like a kid with his toys. So in this case maybe -if you read what I'm doing- you are learning what NOT to do, which has to be a good thing as well Because yes, instead of 3 armies with 4 rifle divisions and mediocre leaders I could have one big army with 12 divisions and a good leader. Correct.

But...

I like flexibilty. I want to have it in 1942. And lots of small armies give me that, I think. On the other hand a big army would be like an elephant. If the unexpected appears, I think reacting is easier if I have these small armies. I might send one, and if that might not be enough I can send another one, and one more, etc., etc. But with only few clumsy elephants = I have less choices, flexibilty. And maybe a strategic move would be risky since lots of divisions would be leaving x area, and maybe the Germans come back or keep trying something.

In other words, I want flexibility. But I understand perhaps this is NOT the best choice. Perhaps having big elephants is the way to go

I am imitating the Soviets as well. To them the Strategic Reserves were a MUST. I know we're on 1942 but these were the Soviet Strategic Reserves in 1943, just before Kursk:

- 9 Armies
- 2 Tank Armies
- Independent units: 63 Rifle Divisions + 10 Mechanized Corps + 13 Tank Corps + 5 Cavalry Corps.

So in fact they were not forming big elephants. I guess -for some reason- they also liked flexibility

(in reply to Kiith)
Post #: 1090
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/29/2011 2:33:57 AM   
TulliusDetritus

Kiith, another example of the Soviet flexibilty. To stop the German offensive in 1942 the Stavka sent (july and august) the following reserves:

- 6 Armies
- 2 Tank Armies
- independent units: 26 Rifle Divisions + 25 Rifle Brigades + 5 Tank Corps + 1 Cavalry Corps

In other words, they could send these reserves because they were at hand. Small armies, not elephants

Post #: 1091
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/29/2011 7:46:21 AM   
randallw

I would combine those rifle brigades right now.

Post #: 1092
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/30/2011 12:50:41 AM   
Kiith

Thanks for taking the time to explain that Tullius. Just on the rifle brigades if you want to reduce their numbers you can always used them as the 3rd unit when forming rifle corps.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 1093
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 7/25/2011 2:41:02 AM   
dassie

no unpdate

Xu

(in reply to Kiith)
Post #: 1094
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 7/25/2011 2:55:36 AM   
CarnageINC

Nice AAR TD, I'm just getting back into the swing of things again.  Hope you continue your game.  I'm trying to get a hold of Redmarkus to see if he wants to continue our war from where we left off, hopefully pick up my AAR as well.  Good luck on your campaign 

(in reply to dassie)
Post #: 1095
Page:   <<   < prev  33 34 35 36 [37]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  33 34 35 36 [37]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI