Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE Page: <<   < prev  168 169 [170] 171 172   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 10:14:37 AM   
cwDeici

Nemo, the community really appreciates you and trusts you from the posts I've read. While this is not a condemnation of that person you referred to I think you should feel free to, at least in this thread, to follow your own rules of honour. ^^

Greyjoy: I have no idea how important preperation is, but unless it's absolutely necessary for success then wouldn't it be best to land somewhere surprising? Though going by Operation Suddenly Hairy and the most recent diversion I can't say I'm sure you're actually going to land at Hachinoe and surrounds.

Good luck, whatever you chose/have chosen!

< Message edited by cwDeici -- 1/8/2012 10:24:43 AM >

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 5071
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 10:48:54 AM   
CaptBeefheart

GJ: I really hope you are fooling us and landing the big one at Akita or even Niigata (nice doggies, those Akitas--that's it, "Operation Hairy Dog: The Akita Landing"). Your feint was hardly damaged and it seemed to only attract a lot of his troops.

Anyway, the suspense of this is killing me.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 5072
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 11:42:47 AM   
cwDeici

Doesn't it make most sense to continue these feints for a month, to do more damage and disruption to the Japanese defense?

Just follow the new HR and add a bit of carrier and the same CAP trap and he'll lose tons of airplanes if the results were anything but an outlier.
Also, I should have said this two-three days ago, but this is probably a great time to switch and bomb his A/C factories a couple of times, provided they're far enough away from Tokyo.

< Message edited by cwDeici -- 1/8/2012 1:15:08 PM >

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 5073
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 1:06:05 PM   
jeffk3510

I am guessing he will pull a fast one on us again...

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to cwDeici)
Post #: 5074
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 1:27:58 PM   
obvert

Yea, it's starting to look like that isn't it? Especially since it's the weekend, and in Europe here it's mid-afternoon but no post yet about developments since early last night. Hmmmmm.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 5075
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 1:39:07 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Yea, it's starting to look like that isn't it? Especially since it's the weekend, and in Europe here it's mid-afternoon but no post yet about developments since early last night. Hmmmmm.

ahahah, no mate...it's not like that. Rader had a busy week end and so no turn flew in my mail box since yesterday morning...and however i had my GF staying by me last night so i couldn't even read the forum...and today i'm already at work

Anyway...i understand your feelings and your fears guys...don't think i'm so crazy not to fear this operation...we're landing right into the lion's jaws and Rader still has the most powerfull war machine we have ever seen...so yes, i'm scared and yes, i know the implications of a defeat...which remains a very plausible possible outcome... but we all know that this is what everybody wants...we all want to see this titanic battle...we all want to see if my divisions will be able to hold the ground untill the second wave arrives...we all wanna see if the allied CAP will be enough to absorb the punishment of 5/6000 japanese planes... this is the moment of truth...this is where we're gonna fight and die....this is where we're gonna enter into the pages of history books for decades to come...our names will be written with blood and glory into AE Records.
That's what we want.
Immortality.
Victory and defeat doesn't matter.
Glory and Pride do.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 5076
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 1:52:46 PM   
obvert

I'm starting to feel all tingly and patriotic! We're just so used to your proclivity it feels odd when there is no note for more than a few hours! GFs do take time, I know all about it!

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5077
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 2:19:36 PM   
GreyJoy

Anyway...as you all know...the first hours will be decisive.
If the CD guns and the waves of torpedo bombers will kill our men directly on their boats, the invasion will be a disaster. To hold a chance we must arrive in combat shape on the beaches and estabilish a foothold strong enough not to be pushed back into the ocean... he has the streght to push me out. I know. Our bombers will have to pound his troops the hardest possible...our fighters will have to fight at their best to clear the skies above the landing site...our surface assets will have to hold the water perimeter and keep his BBs and CAs away from my TFs...
If it all fails...well, we'll have to swicth back to strat bombing...

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 5078
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 2:20:40 PM   
princep01

Aboard USS New Jersey, somewhere east of Honshu:

princepBolton laid down his whetstone and turned off the blade grinder. He wiped his hands clean of grease and oil and carefully rubbed his eyes. It had been a long night of preparation. But he was ready. Now he would say his goodbyes to Admiral Ser Greyjoy and his friends among the crew. Soon, he knew, he would likely enter the maw of sure death. But princep did not demur. He smiled briefly. Having known so much death, his own demise held little fear.

For glory....Forward.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 5079
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 3:55:16 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I suppose this is pretty obvious but make sure the weather is good over the friendly airfields on D-Day...even if you have to do the Eisenhower thingy.

Also, am I to understand that the 2nd "wave" has to use what is left of the transports from the 1st wave? It will take them at least 3 and more likely 4-5 2 day turns to get back..and many will be damaged or swimming with the fishes. Can you not create landing craft in Hokkaido? Seems like there would be enough for a few divisions.

(in reply to cwDeici)
Post #: 5080
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 4:27:14 PM   
jeffk3510

I am guessing you wont be tore up once youre ashore as much as you think....its not like Rader has his top 15 crack Divisions defending Northern Honshu and they've been there and digging in for 3 years....it will be a brutal fight...but I am confident your armor should be unstopable...

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 5081
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 4:33:19 PM   
GreyJoy

Yes, i need the ships of the first wave for the second wave....and yes, i can create barges in hokkaido but i'm not relying much on them...however i'm already forming several groups of barges at hakkodate....they will be used for supply pourpose with the first wave...then we'll see...
Jeff, it all depends on how much those cd guns can maul my ships... If my bbs do their job well i think i can have a chance...

Can't wait...this iatus is killing me!!!

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 5082
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 4:34:37 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: princep01

Aboard USS New Jersey, somewhere east of Honshu:

princepBolton laid down his whetstone and turned off the blade grinder. He wiped his hands clean of grease and oil and carefully rubbed his eyes. It had been a long night of preparation. But he was ready. Now he would say his goodbyes to Admiral Ser Greyjoy and his friends among the crew. Soon, he knew, he would likely enter the maw of sure death. But princep did not demur. He smiled briefly. Having known so much death, his own demise held little fear.

For glory....Forward.

That's the spirit my master!
All men must die. What reaLly matters is HOW we die!

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 5083
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 4:36:44 PM   
GreyJoy

I went back reading the first 50 pages of this AAR...
It's amazing how much we all went through in this RL year!!!!!!

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5084
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 4:38:37 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

GJ: I really hope you are fooling us and landing the big one at Akita or even Niigata (nice doggies, those Akitas--that's it, "Operation Hairy Dog: The Akita Landing"). Your feint was hardly damaged and it seemed to only attract a lot of his troops.

Anyway, the suspense of this is killing me.

Cheers,
CC

Aikita is defended with the same strenght as hachinoe and more 360k men are between aomori and ominato!!!!

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 5085
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 5:37:53 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

I went back reading the first 50 pages of this AAR...
It's amazing how much we all went through in this RL year!!!!!!

Yes. It is. You've given everyone quite a ride!

Not so many GreyJoyisms now. I miss them. Your English writing is getting far too close to grammatically correct.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5086
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 5:44:35 PM   
princep01

Ser Greyjoy, I keep seeing these references to English not being your 1st language. I must have missed something way back, but what is your first language? You always screamed in English back in the day. I guess I never stopped to consider that strange accent. How unobservant of me.

princepBolton

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 5087
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 6:22:43 PM   
cwDeici

So, wave 1 is going to fight without reinforcing units for about 8 days??
I'm going to revise my guess, I think the landing will fail for lack of landing crafts to reinforce/exploit unless Greyjoy has something big up his sleeve he hasn't mentioned to us. Anyway I hope I'm wrong even if its a straight-up invasion. :) And congratulations to you both for being players with the fortitude to last the whole campaign, and considerate of both each other and the audience!

So if anyone has the time, is it better for an attacker conducting an amphibious landing to be on 1 or 2-day turns?

< Message edited by cwDeici -- 1/8/2012 11:36:14 PM >

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 5088
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 7:14:30 PM   
paullus99

I have to give mad props (in advance) for GJ keeping us all in the dark to his true intentions. He can read the tea leaves much better than we can (since he has the actual game in front of him) & I'm sure his choice of invasion beachhead will take us a bit by surprise.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to cwDeici)
Post #: 5089
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 7:43:42 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Given the amount of accidental (presumably) cross-pollination between the threads, an effect the pantless one must have recognized, I consider it more than likely that Patton is in command of a bogus Army prepping for Pas de Calais.

Of course, Rader must also have recognized the potential and the pantless one will have recognized that Rader may be on to him so the pantless one may just WANT us to think that he really isn't landing at Pas de Calais when he really is and just wants one of the worker bees to get water-boarded by Rader until he gives up the double-deluxe secret.

(in reply to cwDeici)
Post #: 5090
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 8:10:12 PM   
princep01

Cap't Picard responds...."You're overanalyzing, Data".

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 5091
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 8:25:37 PM   
GreyJoy

Guys...i feel you are feeling my same impatience...but please, refrain yourselfs from all these meta-analysis...soon you'll know all the answers

don't know CwDeici...i think my first wave is pretty a strong force. All the divisions involved are experienced and upgraded and with a good armour support. As i said it will all depend on in what state our army is gonna arrive on the beaches...If the CD guns will torn our APA/AKAs apart...well...there's won't be a second wave and our barges will be used to get our guys (or what will remain of them) back into Hokkaido and the whole war will be statlemated...while if my BBs will be able to absorb the pushment and get the batteries attention, saving the transports, everything will be possible...

But remember...there's also the Mighty Combined fleet...how will Rader react? Will he wait or will he send his Combined fleet against our BBs? Will it leave this task to his Betties?

The replay has arrived...but the turn won't come untill tomorrow

Here's what happened...i bombed Hachinoe with our BBs and gave them a range of 30k yards...the CD guns didn't fire back...but the damage was so low that i fear forts are well beyond level 6...

Oh...and we sunk Ominato again under a river of bombs...

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Aug 25, 26 44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Hachinohe  at 118,55

Japanese Ships
     SSX Ha-26, hits 8,  heavy damage

Allied Ships
     DD Ingraham
     DD Wilkes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Naval bombardment of Hachinohe at 118,55

Allied Ships
     BB Queen Elizabeth
     BB Valiant
     CA Exeter

Japanese ground losses:
     133 casualties reported
        Squads: 2 destroyed, 4 disabled
        Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 6 disabled
        Engineers: 1 destroyed, 3 disabled
     Guns lost 3 (2 destroyed, 1 disabled)
     Vehicles lost 4 (2 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 2
Port hits 1

BB Queen Elizabeth firing at Hachinohe
Walrus II acting as spotter for BB Valiant
BB Valiant firing at 36th Division
Walrus II acting as spotter for CA Exeter
CA Exeter firing at 33rd Division

Night Naval bombardment of Hachinohe at 118,55

Allied Ships
     BB Washington
     BC Renown
     CA Louisville
     CA Portland

Japanese ground losses:
     98 casualties reported
        Squads: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
        Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
        Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
     Guns lost 3 (1 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 10
Port hits 1
Port supply hits 1

OS2U-3 Kingfisher acting as spotter for BB Washington
BB Washington firing at 93rd Division
BC Renown firing at 72nd Division
OS2U-3 Kingfisher acting as spotter for CA Louisville
CA Louisville firing at Hachinohe
SOC-1 Seagull acting as spotter for CA Portland
CA Portland firing at 4th Guards Division

Morning Air attack on Ominato , at 119,54

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 79 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 23 minutes

Allied aircraft
     Liberator B.III x 8
     Liberator B.VI x 37
     Mosquito FB.VI x 18
     Wellington B.X x 15
     B-24D Liberator x 13
     B-24D1 Liberator x 18
     B-24J Liberator x 136
     B-25D1 Mitchell x 52
     B-25H Mitchell x 50
     B-25J1 Mitchell x 15
     FM-2 Wildcat x 18
     F4U-1 Corsair x 14
     PB4Y-1 Liberator x 46
     PB4Y-2 Privateer x 10
     PBJ-1D Mitchell x 43
     PV-1 Ventura x 36

Allied aircraft losses
     Liberator B.III: 3 damaged
     Liberator B.VI: 12 damaged
     Wellington B.X: 5 damaged
     B-24D Liberator: 3 damaged
     B-24D1 Liberator: 3 damaged
     B-24J Liberator: 39 damaged
     B-25D1 Mitchell: 11 damaged
     B-25H Mitchell: 9 damaged
     B-25J1 Mitchell: 2 damaged
     PB4Y-1 Liberator: 15 damaged
     PBJ-1D Mitchell: 6 damaged
     PV-1 Ventura: 11 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
     56 casualties reported
        Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
        Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
        Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Airbase hits 105
Airbase supply hits 26
Runway hits 611

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 5092
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 8:57:36 PM   
jeffk3510

Is Ominato even a hex on the map anymore....

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5093
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 11:17:33 PM   
crsutton

GJ,

I never really gave it much thought but it does seem as writing this AAR has really helped improve your English writing skills. So who cares if your invasion gets crushed. You have gotten a college level English course out of us....

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 5094
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/8/2012 11:41:53 PM   
cwDeici

Thanks for your reply. :)

So, fellow grogs... and I'm sure this is completely stupid, what would landing at Shikoku be like?

< Message edited by cwDeici -- 1/8/2012 11:43:41 PM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5095
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/9/2012 12:24:19 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: cwDeici

Thanks for your reply. :)

So, fellow grogs... and I'm sure this is completely stupid, what would landing at Shikoku be like?

I've done it once in Downfall against the AI. Allowing that the IJA in this is very brittle and I dont know how raders IJA is faring.

From Okinawa/Iwo Jima you can approach it at a right angle rather than sail past the whole japanese air force.
As you are attacking the centre of the line, you allow the IJAAF to attack from both flanks at shorter range rather than hit the end of the line and have lengthening flight distances.

You are not far from probably major IJA concentrations.
My WAG is that it isnt well defended.

Like Kyushu it can be taken and set up as a base region if you control the crossing to Honshu

IMVHO, It might have been a worthwhile target straight after Hokkaido before rader got over the shock (maybe overkill on the operation didnt allow a reserve for a second attack), or if you are coming from the south in conjunction with a Kyushu attack.

A disavdantage of landing in Hokkaido (or Kyushu) is that you limit your lines of approach, if you threaten from the Iwo Jima direction you have the whole Pacific coast of Japan at your mercy.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to cwDeici)
Post #: 5096
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/9/2012 12:44:24 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

Yes, i need the ships of the first wave for the second wave....and yes, i can create barges in hokkaido but i'm not relying much on them...however i'm already forming several groups of barges at hakkodate....they will be used for supply pourpose with the first wave...then we'll see...
Jeff, it all depends on how much those cd guns can maul my ships... If my bbs do their job well i think i can have a chance...

Can't wait...this iatus is killing me!!!

Merely a point of information: The proper landing craft in the game unload everything in one phase (IIRC, at worst it is one day, but I am 95% certain it is one phase which means 1/2 a turn) and deliver very low disruption during the landing process. Anytime you have enough available (and for a short sea trip - they add fatigue on long voyages) they are a great way to put units ashore in good fighting shape.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5097
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/9/2012 8:00:30 AM   
GreyJoy

So everything is loaded guys. The bulk of my amphib TFs should be able to unload within the first 2 days...so to say after the first turn we should be able to get back...despite the presence of some xAPs and xAKs i've tried to compensate adding a lot of empty LCIs and LSTs which should help the other ships unloading rates.
4 ACGs will support the invasion (with only one actually loaded for this wave), divided into 5 different 100-ships TF.

Basically the TF composition is this one (with some small differences)

1 BB
10 DDs
5 AMs
5 SCs
5 DE/PFs
20 APA (or 10 APAs+10 xAPs)
10 AKA (or 5 AKAs+ 5 xAks
10 LST/LSD (loaded)
10 LST (with only supplies)
10 LCI (empty)
10 LCI (G)
4 support ships

I'm still not sure if i need to add more warships (CAs basically) or if this composition is enough to absorb the punishment of the CD guns.. Because if i wanna add more warships, then i have to create more smaller TFs...and i really don't have many good admirals specialized in landing operations...

Any idea is this is optimized or not?

< Message edited by GreyJoy -- 1/9/2012 8:01:32 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5098
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/9/2012 8:03:24 AM   
GreyJoy

a part from that we have indipendent supplies convoys for 800,000 supplies...these are not listed cause are composed only by xAKs...

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5099
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/9/2012 8:14:36 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Hayzoos cristo, another day of suspense! The movie rights to this AAR are getting more valuable by the minute.

OK, crystal ball says Niigata end run while a Dieppe-sized invasion using the Canadian brigades gets utterly crushed at Hachinohe. Or not.

EDIT: Not 100% sure on ideal Amph TF composition, but that looks pretty good to me.

Cheers,
CC

< Message edited by Commander Cody -- 1/9/2012 8:18:37 AM >

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5100
Page:   <<   < prev  168 169 [170] 171 172   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE Page: <<   < prev  168 169 [170] 171 172   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI