Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE Page: <<   < prev  172 173 [174] 175 176   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 11:49:17 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

DO YOU FEEL THE SOUR TASTE OF FEAR IN YOUR MOUTH?
DO YOU FEEL YOUR KNEES BENDING UNDER THE PRESSURE OF RESPONSABILITY?
DO YOU FEEL THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS DAY IN HISTORY?

DO YOU FEEL IT?

I feel crunchy popcorn in my mouth; I taste the butter as I prop my legs up on the seatback in front of me, and lean back in my plush theater chair to enjoy the Big Action Scene of this highly-rated Action/Adventure movie. . .

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5191
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 11:51:22 AM   
CT Grognard

Bloodiest war movie ever filmed.

The MPAA is refusing to rate it...

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 5192
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 1:13:29 PM   
GreyJoy

Orders sent...

(in reply to CT Grognard)
Post #: 5193
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 1:18:44 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

ll too predictable. Experience is king in surface combat, any pre-1944 Allied unit is going to have a rabbits in headlights experience. Seems especially the case for big ships, BBs and to a lesser extent cruisers. Radar makes little odds. Radar used to make a big difference, but people complained about the USN cleaning Japanese clock in 1942. Now its gone the other way.

Check the experience of your surface ships. A ship like BB Washington will be pointless in a night fight, even in 1944. A ship like Iowa, with the high 60s, might be okay, but if I were you I'd select BBs with 70+ night fighting experience, which is essentially all the Allied BBs that show up after Iowa. BB Howe, BB Richelieu, any American BBs post-Iowa... they all have 70+.

I've not yet tried it myself but I can only assume that they will do much better. I assume the reason the IJN are such supermen in surface combat is down to experience, and not some hardcoded Japan Bonus.

Sorry, not buying this. If I recall the USS Washington outfought a superior force, at night, in 1942 and left with little damage. The IJN could not claim the same. In 1942!!!!

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5194
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 1:20:21 PM   
GreyJoy

I've ordered one more turn of rest at Kushiro, refuling and organization (i don't wanna get screwed by the loss of op points due to unwanted refueling) all my 1300 ships are now refueled and with do-not-reful orders.
2100 fighters are now based at Kushiro, guarding the fleet. Every altitude, from 1000 to 36k has been well covered.
We have Spits, Hellcats, Thunderbolts, P-38s, P-51s and Corsairs. The Wildcats remained at Bihoro along with the few Mosquitos

I managed to distribute 2 BBs+2 CAs for each of the 4 main TFs, while the 3 minor TFs have CLs and DDs to provide support.

Sincerly? There's no way i can form a stronger force. I think i've done the best i could.

Rader will probably now wait for me before committing again....i'm so scared i cannot even type...

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5195
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 1:28:57 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth
Sorry, not buying this. If I recall the USS Washington outfought a superior force, at night, in 1942 and left with little damage. The IJN could not claim the same. In 1942!!!!

There's massive scope for luck, of course, but experience is a MAJOR factor, and is far more significant than radar in my experience. Experience <60 = you suck.

I'm not saying it's historical, I'm saying thats how it is in AE... BB Warspite wouldn't do any better than Washington, her experience also isn't amazing, and she had actually fought in a night battle not long prior, and did well.

One other factor seems to be ship class, at a wild guess, which I think may exacerbate low nightfighting experience. I think BBs might have some penalties, or be favoured by torpedo targeting routines, or something. The reason why I say this is because PG Soerabaja is not actually a little ASW ship like most PGs, but a pre-dreadnought - a rather different beast entirely! And PG Soerabaja, if you manage the miracle of getting her into surface combat, has always punched well above her weight when I've seen her in action, given her experience is AWFUL (like, sub 30) and her speed and maneuverability similarly bad. I've seen that ship have Japanese CAs more than once in gunnery duels. Might just be luck though.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 5196
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 1:38:25 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

There's massive scope for luck, of course, but experience is a MAJOR factor,

2nd Naval battle of Guadalcanal? Luck? Must of felt real lucky when the South Dakota's circuit breakers tripped and effectively took her out of the battle leaving the Washington essentially alone (besides the brave destroyers) Check your history mate, not much luck here. Superior leadership, early radar detection ,excellent fire control mauled a superior Japanese force. Luck had nothing to do with it.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 5197
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 1:39:22 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

2nd Naval battle of Guadalcanal? Luck? Must of felt real lucky when the South Dakota's circuit breakers tripped and effectively took her out of the battle leaving the Washington essentially alone (besides the brave destroyers) Check your history mate, not much luck here. Superior leadership, early radar detection ,excellent fire control mauled a superior Japanese force. Luck had nothing to do with it.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 5198
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 2:06:20 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

quote:

I think you're missing the point.

IN GAME BB Washington is essentially a green ship in night battles. She will suffer in a night engagement. What happened to Greyjoy is not surprising, I've seen similar happen again and again. I believe this is entirely down to the dire experience ratings of Allied ships, which Greyjoy confirmed. The experience of Japanese ships now is probably 65 at the bare minimum - they start in 1941 with that after all, and I guess they might have had a couple more points since then (but see below).

I agree its rubbish as far as history is concerned. I dont get why yard queens like Mutsu are apparently finely honed engines of death in AE, while a ship like Warspite is distinctly average, but there it is.

Furthermore naval experience does not really go up much "on map", Washington is still green in 1944. Especially for capital ships like BBs, because they get into action rarely - DDs stand a pretty good chance of encountering bad guys in comparison so DD crews advance faster than battleship yard queens. New ships, like BB Howe and Richelieu and the Iowas, get higher experience as Allied crews on reinforcement ships get better as time goes on. Unfortunately the old 1942 and even 1943 capital ships will still be crewed by the Three Stooges until the end of the war, and that includes Washington.

I don't think I've ever seen an Allied SAG punch above its weight. I've seen Allied SAGs perform about as well as their foes, and I've seen them get ripped apart by their foes (a lot) but I can't think of many where I go, wow, they did good there! PG Soerabaja is an odd counterexample but I think I can explain that. That said I've never seen late war SAGs in action - I would anticipate Howe, Richelieu et al would do far far better.

Looking at the list of blown away ships and what was responsible that rader posted on his AAR, it looks like Washington dished out some pain at least, she didn't die alone.

< Message edited by EUBanana -- 1/10/2012 2:11:12 PM >

Post #: 5199
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 2:12:28 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

IN GAME BB Washington is essentially a green ship in night battles.

Fair enough. The game has the night fighting ability of Washington just plain wrong. Anybody know what orifice they pulled the night rating of Washington from? Hard to think of a US ship that would have a higher rating than the Washington.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 5200
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 2:19:35 PM   
Canoerebel

Here's my prediction for Operation Hairy to the Bone:

GreyJoy's ships will arrive at the invasion hex in good shape. They will disgorge the invasion troops in good order. The invasion troops will be ashore in fine shape.

I do not believe enemy ships or aircraft will be able to pierce the protecting ships and aircraft to any meaningful extent before the troops are ashore.

But I am not sure yet what happens once the troops are ashore. If GJ has air superiority, I believe he's bringing enough to remain in the hex until hix next wave is ready to come ashore.

As ships disengage and prepare to retire from the invasion hex, there will probably be the usual amount of carnage resulting from enemy attacks.

Overall, I believe GJ wins the operation.

Post #: 5201
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 2:27:32 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

quote:

quote:

I think you're missing the point.

IN GAME BB Washington is essentially a green ship in night battles. She will suffer in a night engagement. What happened to Greyjoy is not surprising, I've seen similar happen again and again. I believe this is entirely down to the dire experience ratings of Allied ships, which Greyjoy confirmed. The experience of Japanese ships now is probably 65 at the bare minimum - they start in 1941 with that after all, and I guess they might have had a couple more points since then (but see below).

I agree its rubbish as far as history is concerned. I dont get why yard queens like Mutsu are apparently finely honed engines of death in AE, while a ship like Warspite is distinctly average, but there it is.

Furthermore naval experience does not really go up much "on map", Washington is still green in 1944. Especially for capital ships like BBs, because they get into action rarely - DDs stand a pretty good chance of encountering bad guys in comparison so DD crews advance faster than battleship yard queens. New ships, like BB Howe and Richelieu and the Iowas, get higher experience as Allied crews on reinforcement ships get better as time goes on. Unfortunately the old 1942 and even 1943 capital ships will still be crewed by the Three Stooges until the end of the war, and that includes Washington.

I don't think I've ever seen an Allied SAG punch above its weight. I've seen Allied SAGs perform about as well as their foes, and I've seen them get ripped apart by their foes (a lot) but I can't think of many where I go, wow, they did good there! PG Soerabaja is an odd counterexample but I think I can explain that. That said I've never seen late war SAGs in action - I would anticipate Howe, Richelieu et al would do far far better.

Looking at the list of blown away ships and what was responsible that rader posted on his AAR, it looks like Washington dished out some pain at least, she didn't die alone.

Totally correct here-experience is everything in game terms. Allies ships brought on board before 1944 are all average to poor-while Japanese ships area all of course, manned by supermen. And on 1.1.44 any Allied warship that comes on board has excellent quality crews. This is why so many Allied players love the Fletcher class DD. It may not so much be that it is a super ship but that they are good ships with great crews and working torpedos.

I am sure it is a balance thing and can live with it. I want my JFB friends to have a chance. If the game was totally historical only the computer would play the Japanese side.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 5202
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 2:27:41 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Here's my prediction for Operation Hairy to the Bone:

GreyJoy's ships will arrive at the invasion hex in good shape. They will disgorge the invasion troops in good order. The invasion troops will be ashore in fine shape.

I do not believe enemy ships or aircraft will be able to pierce the protecting ships and aircraft to any meaningful extent before the troops are ashore.

But I am not sure yet what happens once the troops are ashore. If GJ has air superiority, I believe he's bringing enough to remain in the hex until hix next wave is ready to come ashore.

As ships disengage and prepare to retire from the invasion hex, there will probably be the usual amount of carnage resulting from enemy attacks.

It kinda depends on how long the second wave takes and how quickly the IJ can mass troops at the landing site. If every soldier in Japan can be sent there before wave 2 comes in, then that would be bad. If a bunch of Japanese troops are sitting ready to roll in strategic mode, they could be at the site in just a few days.

Of course, they are probably mostly in combat mode rather than vulnerable, but you never know.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5203
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 2:27:46 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: beppi

Just some information, i will also open a thread in the general forum as i conducted a systematic tests:

empty APA in a TF DO add a unload bonus
empty LCI in a TF DO NOT add a unload bonus
empty LST in a TF DO NOT add a unload bonus

i assume AKA work like APA (did not test it).

Thanks for testing...This is exactly as they said. Too many wild interpretations of this flying out there on the forum.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to beppi)
Post #: 5204
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 2:28:14 PM   
crsutton

quote:

Come on, gents.  Surely we can agree that was an Allied naval victory.  I'd take those results anytime.  I guarantee you rader is disappointed.  He just lost roughly 8% of his battleships and 11% of his heavy cruisers.  Ouch!  Meanwhile, GJ will tweak his force composition a bit and continue.

And note that there were more Allied torpedo hits than Japanese..Certainly a draw if not a victory. All those damaged Japanese ships are out of the fight as well. And at this stage that is important.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5205
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 2:32:28 PM   
Houtje

Good luck, Greyjoy. There will probably be many sacrifices to your Drowned god, but remember: 'What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger.'

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5206
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 2:36:00 PM   
CT Grognard

Ironically in real life it was the USS Washington that sank the HIJMS Kirishima during the Second Naval Battle of Guadalcanal during the night of 14-15 November 1942.

Following a brutal First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal the nights before - which saw the loss of 2 US cruisers and 4 US destroyers versus 1 IJN battleship (Hiei), 1 IJN cruiser and 2 IJN destroyers, with many more US ships damaged - four Japanese CAs and two CLs had slipped into Guadalcanal uncontested since battered US naval forces had withdrawn.

The BB Kirishima along with CA Atago and Takao and CL Nagara and Sendai and 9 DDs approached Guadalcanal via Indispensable Strait; Halsey detached USS Washington and South Dakota from the Enterprise TF along with 4 DDs to counter them.

Admiral Kondo had split his force into four components - a bombardment force of the Kirishima and the Atago and Takao; and then three screening forces - one with DD Ayanami, one with CL Sendai and 2 DD, and another with CL Nagara and four DD.

The American force detected the Sendai group on radar, but not the rest of the Japanese ships; the Washington and South Dakota opened fire on the Sendai group using radar-targetted fire, but the three Japanese ships were able to retire undamaged. The four US DDs in front of Washington and South Dakota then ran into CL Nagara and five Japanese DDs; two US DDs were sunk almost immediately, with the other two heavily damaged (one would sink the next day) and retired.

USS Washington set a Japanese DD on fire with her 5" batteries; behind her, USS South Dakota suffered massive electrical failures rendering her radar, radios and some of her gun batteries inoperable.

Believing the US warship force defeated, Kondo order the Kirishima, Takao and Atago towards Guadalcanal - on a collision course withe the two US battleships.

South Dakota was silhoutted by burning destroyers and illuminated by searchlights and she was targetted by Kirishima, Takao and Atago, taking 25 medium and 1 large-caliber shells that knocked out her communications completely and she turned away from the battle.

With the Japanese ships concentrating their fire on South Dakota they did not notice Washington approaching to within less than 9000 yards of the Kirishima, she opened fire at close range and Kirishima was hit by at least nine 16" shells and forty 5" shells setting her aflame and jamming her rudder.

Washington then retired to the northwest to draw the Japanese force away from Guadalcanal. The Kirishima was scuttled a few hours later.

Post #: 5207
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 2:41:33 PM   
CT Grognard

There was luck involved.

The brave four destroyers did their part in soaking up the initial contact.

And South Dakota being lit up like a Christmas tree and attracting the attention of Kirishima, Takao and Atago made it possible for Washington to get within very close range of Kirishima and then hammer her with a well-targeted broadside (remember, Washington held their fire on Kirishima because the commander was afraid it was South Dakota, as soon as they realised she was Japanese they opened fire with devastating effect).

Post #: 5208
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 2:44:05 PM   
CT Grognard

I for one would be willing to play a historical game as the Japanese - DaBigBabes Scenario 28C (the one with the reduced cargo limits), with restrictive house rules to resemble historical situations and PDU off.

If only to stop the constant Allied fanboy bickering about "Japanese supermen"...

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5209
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 2:50:37 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: CT Grognard
If only to stop the constant Allied fanboy bickering about "Japanese supermen"...

The effects of IJ warship experience, how much it's likely to go up over the course of a game, and the effects of radar are true, though, and extremely important. Especially in 1944, as the Allies have highly skilled crews then as well, it's just a shame Washington isn't one of them. But if Howe was there instead, maybe it woulda turned out differently - something that should be of interest to all players. It's not bickering, it's knowing how the game works. Managing expectations. I wouldn't expect BB Washington to do well in the game.

As it is judging from raders screen she didnt do that bad, apparently quite a few 16 inch hits.

I'd be curious how an elite Allied SAG does, one with 1944 arrival warships only, so their crews are all 70/70. I'm sure they'd punch above their weight, especially as they'd probably have a qualitative advantage in hardware even aside from the crews.

< Message edited by EUBanana -- 1/10/2012 2:51:13 PM >

Post #: 5210
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 3:02:23 PM   
CT Grognard

Look, there are a number of things at stake here that the model needs to resemble.

In 1941 and 1942 the IJN surface assets at night outclassed the Americans. They were skilled at nightfighting, they had excellent optical rangefinders and expert gunners, and used flashless propellant. Their tactic of launching Long Lance torpedoes accurately at night at long range before opening up gunfire was another factor.

These tactics were all nasty surprises to the Americans.

So, yes, in 1942 the USS Washington for example should have significantly less experience at night fighting.

But I agree that there is something wrong with the game model if in 1944 the USS Washington's night experience has not increased substantially. After the initial mismatch, rapid US technological innovation and training resulted in US ships in 1944 that were superior to the Japanese at night-time naval combat.

The issue then is one of how quickly vessels obtain experience.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 5211
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 3:19:24 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

The issue then is one of how quickly vessels obtain experience.

Pretty much.

It's a shame there's no "ship training" option really, if you look at the day in the life of a battlewagon in WW2, they spent months on end training.

Post #: 5212
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 3:24:12 PM   
Canoerebel

This is probably an area we are just going to have to live with in the name of game balance. As crsutton notes, concessions have to be made to make the game enjoyable and competitive for Japan. A tweak of late-war naval experience might tip the delicate game competition balance the designers seem to have reached.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 5213
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 3:30:21 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

This is probably an area we are just going to have to live with in the name of game balance. As crsutton notes, concessions have to be made to make the game enjoyable and competitive for Japan. A tweak of late-war naval experience might tip the delicate game competition balance the designers seem to have reached.

Yeah, pretty much. I think ship training is probably overkill.

Which means its even more interesting to those who play in 1944 though. An Allied BB, even of the same class, is not necessarily equal in 44. Howe is way better than PoW, for example, and the later Iowas look to be rather better than Iowa too (though Iowa isnt bad by any means). People who like to micromanage their ship selection in SAGs might wanna know this.

Those fast BBs from the early war, like Washington, would be better left as CV escorts I think, where they can use their AA guns in sunshine. And if you fear night action in '44, it would be better to hoover up the crack crews that you start getting in the late war.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5214
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 3:34:48 PM   
witpqs

How much experience do ships gain from shore bombardments?

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 5215
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 4:12:59 PM   
crsutton

quote:

I for one would be willing to play a historical game as the Japanese - DaBigBabes Scenario 28C (the one with the reduced cargo limits), with restrictive house rules to resemble historical situations and PDU off.

I am sure you would have a taker in about five seconds if you posted this on the opponents wanted board of this forum...

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 5216
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 4:16:51 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

I really don't have time in my life for PBM but I really like your style of throwing down the gauntlet. If some of the fires go out in my life I will consider looking you up. Well played sir

< Message edited by JohnDillworth -- 1/10/2012 4:20:17 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5217
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 4:34:08 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

And if i don't...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5218
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 4:52:33 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

quote:

And if i don't...

GreyJoy, win or lose, you deserve to go down in the history books for this game.

This is, after all, a game. A very detailed, highly researched, and mostly realistic game, but still a game.

In Real Life a commander who proposed an operation like this under these circumstances would probably be cashiered if he didn't get a bullet or a rope.

In these battles of electrons, however, you stand at the feet of God right now.

Bravo Zulu.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5219
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/10/2012 5:03:36 PM   
Cribtop

First, good luck GJ. The eyes of the world are upon you and this amazing AAR.

Second, to echo WITPQS, is it time to resurrect the time-honored, "bomb the enemy held dot base behind the lines" training method? Using BB bombardments instead of air groups? Might be an interesting test. Tedious though. Perhaps someone could mod a "Bombardment CS" TF type?

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5220
Page:   <<   < prev  172 173 [174] 175 176   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE Page: <<   < prev  172 173 [174] 175 176   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI