Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE Page: <<   < prev  186 187 [188] 189 190   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/17/2012 11:08:01 PM   
Miller

Well regardless of what happens on the ground, you have destroyed I would guess at least 50% of his remaining cruiser strength. Any CA lost for the IJN is a disaster..........looks like you got at least half a dozen this turn!

With regards to the A2A losses, rader is now paying the price for losing most of his top pilots in the India and Solomons campaigns. True he still has lots of the latest airframes, but they are piloted by noobs. Looks like he will have lost almost 1000 a/c that turn for basically nothing. Only a miracle can prevent you from winning this now

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5611
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/17/2012 11:11:33 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

Well regardless of what happens on the ground, you have destroyed I would guess at least 50% of his remaining cruiser strength. Any CA lost for the IJN is a disaster..........looks like you got at least half a dozen this turn!

With regards to the A2A losses, rader is now paying the price for losing most of his top pilots in the India and Solomons campaigns. True he still has lots of the latest airframes, but they are piloted by noobs. Looks like he will have lost almost 1000 a/c that turn for basically nothing. Only a miracle can prevent you from winning this now

Don't know miller...fact is that Japan is so overcrowded with troops that, as castor troy says, it will be very difficult (to say the least) to break his lines...i'll do my best anyway and i will go till the very end, no matter the cost or the result...

Thanks for the support!

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 5612
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/17/2012 11:16:22 PM   
GreyJoy

the problem for the next turn will be the fatigue levels of my fighters...they stayed at 100% LRCAP at 5 hexes!...have to find a way to prevent a disaster for the next round...will think about a solution....

What would have happened if we landed the second wave at Hachinoe? probably a great naval battle...for sure...but at Hakodate i got a bloody nose with his BBs that were able to penetrate my screen and bomb the base before my SCTF could come into action...Aikita was the right decision...probably i should have committed some more troops for it....just that

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5613
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/17/2012 11:34:29 PM   
GreyJoy

That's why i have chosen to land a blocking force at Aomori...as you can see, with my presence at Aomori, if he wants to transfer units from Hachinoe to Aikita he has to move first south and then take the dirt road that crosses north-south the island...which should take him quite some time...while if i left Aomori free he could easily move his units on the main road to Ominato->Aomori>Aikita... now he's forced to committ reinforcements in strat mode from the south...and i may catch them in that mode if they arrive during my attack....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by GreyJoy -- 1/17/2012 11:35:37 PM >

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5614
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/17/2012 11:37:29 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

quote:

Don't know miller...fact is that Japan is so overcrowded with troops that, as castor troy says, it will be very difficult (to say the least) to break his lines...i'll do my best anyway and i will go till the very end, no matter the cost or the result...

Thanks for the support!

Do you really have to break his lines?

Haven't you created a mighty anvil of land air and sea forces for him to smash himself upon?

Hans

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5615
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/17/2012 11:41:14 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

quote:

Thanks for the support!

Do you really have to break his lines?

Haven't you created a mighty anvil of land air and sea forces for him to smash himself upon?

Maybe...but Japan won't surrender untill we have kicked out the Emperor's arse out of his golden palace! In Washington D.C., In London, at Pearl Harbour, in Karachi, in Sydney....everywhere in the western countries peoples are screaming for REVANGE...and, as we know, Generals must listen to their people's needs as they listen to their soldiers...

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5616
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/17/2012 11:44:17 PM   
paullus99

Once the Combined Fleet is eliminated as a surface force (and didn't Rader lose some of his BBs in the Solomons Campaign?) & GJ has established himself on Honshu proper, he'll be able to leap frog troops around any potential large road-blocks. And getting large bomber bases that much closer to the rest of Rader's factories means an even more intense strategic bombing program.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5617
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/17/2012 11:44:42 PM   
GreyJoy

i can proudly say that with this last rally we've surpassed (sp!?) PZB's thread and we're now following Cpt Mandrake's one in the AAR Hit parade

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5618
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/17/2012 11:46:48 PM   
HansBolter

I'm with you there. Perhaps I should have put it differently.

Do you really have to break his lines now?

I find allowing the enemy to break himself upon a stout line for a bit while catching my own breath sets him up for an easier breakthru when I'm ready....

may be the opposite is true here though as time may allow him the oppurtunity to reinforce in very great strength...

I'm certainly no late game expert and was offering up the questions as much to learn from the answers as attempting to offer advice

Hans

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5619
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/17/2012 11:48:05 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: paullus99

Once the Combined Fleet is eliminated as a surface force (and didn't Rader lose some of his BBs in the Solomons Campaign?) & GJ has established himself on Honshu proper, he'll be able to leap frog troops around any potential large road-blocks. And getting large bomber bases that much closer to the rest of Rader's factories means an even more intense strategic bombing program.

Well, Musashi and some more mighty BBs are still in his hands (till now 5 have been sunk)...so the threat is always there! for sure today was a very important day cause without all those CAs Raders ability to win every naval encounter has terribly decreased....but let's not forget that the KB is still out there lurking in the shadows...untouched...and his LBA Air Force is not defeated...weakened for sure, but not defeated!

It really seems like Normandy 1944....

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 5620
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/17/2012 11:50:59 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

I'm with you there. Perhaps I should have put it differently.

Do you really have to break his lines now?

I find allowing the enemy to break himself upon a stout line for a bit while catching my own breath sets him up for an easier breakthru when I'm ready....

may be the opposite is true here though as time may allow him the oppurtunity to reinforce in very great strength...

I'm certainly no late game expert and was offering up the questions as much to learn from the answers as attempting to offer advice

I think time is on Rader's side. if you look at the OOB Japan gets something like 60 divisions between 44 and 45...if i cannot get a base in Honshu now it will be almost impossible in 4 months from now...

I gotta try... won't leave my boys on the beaches as Rader has done with his 5 divisions at Tulagi...left starving there for nearly one year...

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5621
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/17/2012 11:50:59 PM   
Miller

At best rader can stalemate you on the ground. Then what for him? You can rest your airforce then pound him to dust.

And with regards to the KB not showing up..........I cannot see the point of him risking his CVs when the airgroups could fly from land bases. Other than use as behind the lines raiders they are basically obsolete.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 5622
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/17/2012 11:54:57 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

At best rader can stalemate you on the ground. Then what for him? You can rest your airforce then pound him to dust.

And with regards to the KB not showing up..........I cannot see the point of him risking his CVs when the airgroups could fly from land bases. Other than use as behind the lines raiders they are basically obsolete.

good point about the KB...at the moment Rader probably needs his best crews at Honsu and not looking for some supplies convoys...

However...the question is...where are his kamikaze?!?!?!?!?!?!?!...As chickenboy pointed out...why he isn't using them?

Where were today his Army torpedo bombers (Peggy-T) ??? Where were his SAMs?

Basically he hasn't used anywhere his whole air force today...i'd say only a quarter of it...and mainly IJNAAF...IJAAF is still there...intact...

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 5623
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/17/2012 11:57:05 PM   
paullus99

Very good point - since GJ has secure supply lines from the West Coast, covered for the most part by LBA, raiding by the KB is nearly pointless, since it will only take them away from where the decisive battle is being fought.

At this point, if GJ was going to commit any troops outside of the home islands, it might be worth a stab at getting bases in range of Rader's oil supply in the DEI - it's not like Rader can afford to move air units away from the Home Island.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 5624
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/17/2012 11:57:58 PM   
GreyJoy

Amazing to think that 1 year ago (game time) we were still fighting to get to Rekata Bay and Panggoe (Solomons Chain)...and now we're at the very gates of Tokyo...what a ride

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5625
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/17/2012 11:59:44 PM   
GreyJoy

Rader sent the wrong turn...won't wait any longer cause i'm falling asleep and tomorrow i got an harsh day of meetings and trials...

Night guys, it's been a good day. Let's keep the faith for tomorrow attack!

HURRAH

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5626
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/18/2012 12:03:10 AM   
ny59giants

You need to look at "hexside control" rather than just the presence of both sides having LCUs in a hex. If Rader was able to move troops between those hexes earlier, then he still controls those hexsides. Click "F6" and then "W" to see who owns what. Look for a thick red or green line to indicate control of a hexside.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 5627
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/18/2012 12:14:54 AM   
beppi

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

You need to look at "hexside control" rather than just the presence of both sides having LCUs in a hex. If Rader was able to move troops between those hexes earlier, then he still controls those hexsides. Click "F6" and then "W" to see who owns what. Look for a thick red or green line to indicate control of a hexside.

Yes thats important. As long as you do not take a base you cannot change the hexside control. So he can still move troops along the roads from Ominato and Aomori. At least he cannot stratmove forces directly to Akita so you have more time and reinforcements are harder. Even supply will flow for him so no advatange here too.

But that is not that bad. It will take 4 days (2 turns) at least to move from both of his bases to Akita via road. So after you initial deliberate attack you should consider a shock attack in combination with a paratrooper assault. Paras will double your adjusted AV. But only if you have a sufficient para force and the capacity to drop them in one turn. Parashock even works with just a fragment of a bn, so a few squads are enough. Buth such an action is stretching the engine quite a bit and gamey (as Castor pointed already out).

So if you have > 400 AV paratrooper forces, use them to do a non gamey, historic paradrop+shock. If you do not have them just do a common shock attack if the odds during your initial move where acceptable. Even if the disruption is not back to 0 you should try to take the base as quickly as possible but still as slow as reasonable.

And congratulations, again a very nice move.

< Message edited by beppi -- 1/18/2012 12:18:53 AM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 5628
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/18/2012 12:31:40 AM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Well, Musashi and some more mighty BBs are still in his hands (till now 5 have been sunk)...so the threat is always there! for sure today was a very important day cause without all those CAs Raders ability to win every naval encounter has terribly decreased....but let's not forget that the KB is still out there lurking in the shadows...untouched...and his LBA Air Force is not defeated...weakened for sure, but not defeated!

Yeah, about those BB's I'm betting they are heading up the sea of Japan sometime soon. I think this because he had to hedge his bets where you would originally land or reinforce. I suspect they are down south are were always planned as the "left hook" in case you landed further south on the Sea of Japan side. Doesn't make too much sense to do anything else with them and if he doesn't use them soon what good will they be. Just my thoughts

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to beppi)
Post #: 5629
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/18/2012 12:34:51 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Clap. Clap. Clap. Well done, sir. By all means you need to do a deliberate attack on Akita unless your divisions are very disrupted. You need to capture a base ASAP.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to beppi)
Post #: 5630
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/18/2012 4:18:23 AM   
cwDeici

quote:

Beppi, i completely agree. 100%. You are a wise man and i find your commenta always "spotted"! Thanks again.

Won't ask for a redo....don't wanna risk to create an "argument" between me amd andrew...this game is too good to be ruined!

Let's carry on!

Time for important decisions....

You're very honorable. It seems to me though that you let things become a bit unfair to you, almost never (or never?) asking for rerolls where they would be completely justified.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5631
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/18/2012 4:31:26 AM   
princep01

I, for one, always ask myself, "What would Jesus do"? Then I do the opposite. No rerolls. Rerolls are for chumps and sissies and Ser Greyjoy is certainly not that.

Forward, Ser Greyjoy. At the enemy's throat and softer parts with a bit of nitric acid eye wash on the side.

Nice job on that second landing. Akita, is it? Well, that landing ought to make his toes curl.

I actually had to duck a couple of times today....falling Japanese aircraft nearly crushed my wagon of "persuasion tools", not to mention his Lordship. Good job on whittling down those Georges and whatnots.

princepBolton (who is enjoying himself greatly)

(in reply to cwDeici)
Post #: 5632
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/18/2012 4:55:07 AM   
cwDeici

How would it be sissified to ask for the correction of a round that was changed by a bug? That's exactly what happened some rounds earlier, only more severely for both sides.
But yes, Greyjoy is brave and honourable beyond the call of the duty to take it all on the chin, extremely so when it'd be reasonable of him to ask otherwise. He also has the utmost respect for Rader so he too is certainly an honorable gentlemen of pure means and staunch constitution, as seen most recently with his cruisers going against his orders.

quote:

However...the question is...where are his kamikaze?!?!?!?!?!?!?!...As chickenboy pointed out...why he isn't using them?

At a guess, because the skeletons of hundreds or even thousands of his pilots are resting at the bottom of the pacific ocean. How many green pilots can Japan crank out a month? I've read before that Rader's and your pilot losses seem to be considerably below the number of A/C shot down over hostile waters/land, which confuses me, but at the rate he's losing aircraft even a good S&R and training program would have trouble keeping up, especially for Japan since its population is many times smaller than the allies.

Wonderful landing and hammering of his air force and and fleet (even though he didn't mean to do that) Greyjoy!

< Message edited by cwDeici -- 1/18/2012 7:24:20 AM >

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5633
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/18/2012 5:51:04 AM   
crsutton

Greyjoy, I just don't get it. If not kamikazes now, when? He should have had a 1,000 suicide aircraft of all types in the air that turn. I am not sure if Rader is planning to use them at all. But I can't figure out why.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to cwDeici)
Post #: 5634
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/18/2012 6:29:28 AM   
GreyJoy

10-1 in the air today.....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5635
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/18/2012 6:36:36 AM   
GreyJoy

what about a direct shock attack.... i think i'm not having that much time...all the AFs around Aikita are now active and i bet full of planes.... now we'll have Kamikaze and the rest of his air force...we're gonna have lots of LRCAP over Aikita...gotta decide what's the best strategy.... my fighter groups are very fatigued... 30% in average... i think i'm having just one other turn and then i'll have to retire...

what to do...if the shock attack fails (yes, i have a reinforced para division worth of troops ready to be used) there won't be any other chance...troops from Hachinoe (yes NY59...you are right ) and from all over the places are already coming in....

some leaders lost...but it seems only from 2 divisions...i can handle it....

another moment of big decisions....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by GreyJoy -- 1/18/2012 6:42:52 AM >

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5636
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/18/2012 6:43:51 AM   
witpqs

The problem with a shock attack is that if your forces are already disrupted, and at other times when they are not disrupted but are facing a stout defense, you can gut your own forces like you were gutting a fish.

Shock attacks are very effective at the right time. Often it's hard to tell when is the right time.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5637
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/18/2012 6:52:25 AM   
GreyJoy

and if i mix? I mean if i tell to my units at Aikita to deliberate attack and at the same time i send in the paras that will shock?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5638
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/18/2012 7:17:19 AM   
cwDeici

Aren't shock attacks the most effective when the enemy is disrupted? How much would the bombing you did earlier have messed him up?

Also, I've never played this game so even though I've heard Japan is greatly strengthened in Scenario 2 I can't quite fathom how Rader has managed to keep up his A/C numbers... hasn't he lost 4,850 aircraft the last month just from the big Tokyo raid and the recent battle?

< Message edited by cwDeici -- 1/18/2012 7:25:51 AM >

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5639
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/18/2012 7:34:08 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

Canoe, we disagree on the outcome of a prolonged fight, but this is nothing bad. I would really like to have a turn with the passwords just to run the turns with everything turned off and have the Allied doing a deliberate attack every 7th day for the next 10 weeks. I would bet the Allied would get wiped out, you would bet they would take the base. Would be a nice bet.

Well, there are many factors. Air support and naval bombardments will eventually make a difference. If GJ can keep the Japanese disrupted then the casualtie rate can eventually change. I don't see were GJ can continue to take losses such as his first whack but he has both superior and more numerous guns and tanks and I have seen that combined air support make the difference over a prolonged fight. However, I do agree that it will take a very long time and if Rader can reinforce and more important maintain his flow of supply, then he can hold that spot for a very long time if not forever. If this is all GJ has then I am not sure he can win. If he can crack open another base then that is different. All of us who worship the genius of the Greyjoy....have faith.

yes, but guys, don't you realize that GJ's air attacks are do next to nothing??? He sends hundreds of bombers on ground attack and the 250.000 defending Japanese take 12 disabled squads. You actually know what that means? That means they also take next to no disruption! Why? Because they are sitting behind enough forts to make this happen. Ok, you might say now take down the forts but with such a force even the Japanese are able to build forts at an unbelievable pace. That's why I said it's a hopeless undertaking to go through the wall here.

Anyway, GJ lands at another place now, which is the way to go.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5640
Page:   <<   < prev  186 187 [188] 189 190   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE Page: <<   < prev  186 187 [188] 189 190   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI