Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The RN Worst Day

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The RN Worst Day Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/28/2011 6:51:37 PM   
ADB123

quote:

"Weak"...at the moment i can't see a place where he's weak...i thought i had overwhelming forces in the Solomons...gotta re-think of my understanding of the term "overwhelming ".

My definition of "overwhelming" is where you can easily crush your opponent at minimal loss to yourself. In order to accomplish that you have to have security of your Supply and Replacement lines, as well as superior Forces.

At this stage of the Game a series of island bases such as the Eastern Solomons, the New Hebrides, the Tongas and so on do not have that security of Supply and Replacements that the Allies need. They are too far away from Allied Supply and Replacements. And the Allies do not have superior Forces at this time, other than 4Es.

Therefore, you have to build up in anticipation of when you will start to achieve parity of Forces, which is Summer 1943 - if you conserve your forces ahead of time.

Essentially, thanks to the inherent Japanese advantages built into scenario 2, the nature of the house rules that you agreed to, and your inexperience with the WitPAE Game engine as it plays in pbem, you are in January 1943 essentially where the historical Allies were in January 1942 in terms of your ability to counter the Japanese advance.

There are places where you can start to build in anticipation of serious Allied counterattacks in late 1943 and early 1944, but small island chains are not those places.

I'll make you an offer - if you are interested, send me a private message and I will send you a copy of my current game so that you can see where I have built up. Many of those places are still valid for you.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1741
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/28/2011 7:52:45 PM   
Alpha77

quote:

ORIGINAL: ADB123
3 - Set ALL of your Floatplanes (not Cats) to Night Naval Attack at 1000 feet - they will have a chance to attack the enemy subs

Question if I may ?

There is no night asw mission ? So for nighttime I need to use nav attack at 1000 to kill subs ? Will search planes also attack subs at night if I use search (if asw is not available at night) Thanks

Ah and I read 2-3 imo not so good advises above:

a) "Carrier raid to Palembang". Will result probably in a disaster...reason: Look at the map.

b) "In 2 months the Allies get masses of Hellcats which will eat the Jap for breakfast".... masses can be defined as ca. 300 ? But 300 are still not really much. I would change the 2 months to 4 months therefore. Also they will be no wonder weapon, still need to be employed with care consider the Jap should have some also pretty good planes by then. Maybe GJs pilots are better true.

I would search the deciding battle in stage of the game tbh (but if you are prepared to play 1 more year in which you may suffer a bit more only to be -maybe- then on top of your oponent productionswise, still maybe not strategical go ahead)

Also I would guess next Jap move vs. Nadi/Suva... from there he can cut off (at least try to) the USA - OZ connection.

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 7/28/2011 9:34:58 PM >

(in reply to ADB123)
Post #: 1742
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/29/2011 12:27:54 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: FatR

... listen too much to armchair strategists, like Alfred...

Hmn, don't know about Russian but in Anglo-Saxon countries, the term "armchair strategist" has quite a pejorative connotation.

I pay very close attention to what the few disclosed high level military officers in this forum say about military matters and the game as it is quite difficult to label them as an "armchair strategist". Would you be so kind as to disclose your own high level Russian military credentials so that I can add you to the list of bona fide strategic experts? Or alternatively, as evidenced by your behaviour in Nemo's game/AAR, you have some other suitable qualifications and experience in lieu of a Russian equivalent War College background.

I would then be most appreciative if you could demonstrate to such an unqualified person as I am, the specific errors and flaws I committed. In particular I am most interested in how one should go about thinking how to approach the strategic issues and problems present in this match. As a Russian, it is quite possible you may well be aware of Alexander Kotov's book "Think Like a Grandmaster", that will give you an idea of what I am after. I think you would agree that the usual recommendations made in this AAR to move this here and that there is of very limited value as it doesn't really explain why the move might be good or bad, nor does it allow for altering one's plan in the face of a constantly changing situation.

Oh and of course GreyJoy, who for weeks has clearly been overwhelmed by the quality of the advice and platitudes given, would also benefit.

Alfred

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 1743
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/29/2011 11:09:00 AM   
GreyJoy

Hi all,

the game will be on hold till monday (european time). This should let me enough time to reflect and decide what to do. I won't post nor ask anymore advices till then, cause at the moment my main concern is to clean my mind and "feel" my own strategy, trying to take into consideration every single suggestion kindly given by you readers and come up with a "personal" plan that may be a good sinthesis (sp?!) of the various problems related with the present strategical situation.

Again, i thank all of you for your efforts in helping me understand and learn this awesome game. No matter how it will end this match, it will have been a wonderful journey

See u soon

GJ

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1744
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/29/2011 3:15:41 PM   
FatR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred
Hmn, don't know about Russian but in Anglo-Saxon countries, the term "armchair strategist" has quite a pejorative connotation.

Yes, and this is exactly what was intended. Your snide attitude is completely unwarrated by your known AE success record, more accurately, lack thereof (not that ABD123's ongoing PBEM excuses his aggression, but at least he has one). As about your errors, try to provide actual advice, rather than talking a lot and hardly ever saying anything in an attempt to sound deep.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1745
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/29/2011 3:19:15 PM   
jeffk3510

FatR- you're runing this AAR, just like your ruined Nemos...and every other AAR. This is one of the most enjoyable AARs, so please stop hijacking it...

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 1746
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/29/2011 3:30:27 PM   
FatR

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy
Rader told me that he stopped almost every HI consumtpion for any Naval program, concentrating only on planes and pilots...

Unless he lied (and even if "almost" convenietly excludes carriers), these are quite good news for you and something that you should consider a success. Particularly considering that at least 1/3rd of the modern Japanese destroyer force is already lost.

But anyway, you are right, that you should think your strategy through for yourself. We'll wait and see...

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1747
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/29/2011 3:47:27 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

quote:

Rader told me that he stopped almost every HI consumtpion for any Naval program, concentrating only on planes and pilots...

Unless he lied (and even if "almost" convenietly excludes carriers), these are quite good news for you and something that you should consider a success. Particularly considering that at least 1/3rd of the modern Japanese destroyer force is already lost.

But anyway, you are right, that you should think your strategy through for yourself. We'll wait and see...

I think his CVs were not included into that evaluation. For sure he was talking about Subs and other "minor" stuff. Don't know about DDs cause if i was him i'd never halt the DD production. However for sure he concentrated mostly on boosting his aviation rather than his other assets.

Will be a long week end of study and testing. A part from the evaluation Alfred suggested (regarding AVs and LCUs), i wanna test a similar enviroment, where i have some Hellcats on hand.

Thanks!

GJ

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 1748
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/29/2011 4:27:30 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Yes, and this is exactly what was intended. Your snide attitude is completely unwarrated by your known AE success record, more accurately, lack thereof (not that ABD123's ongoing PBEM excuses his aggression, but at least he has one). As about your errors, try to provide actual advice, rather than talking a lot and hardly ever saying anything in an attempt to sound deep.

So the quality of one's analysis is dependent on having an AAR? Really, chief?

Your behavior in Nemo's game ought to have gotten you banned from the forum. You are a despicable individual. Aside from that, Alfred has perhaps the deepest understanding of the game's mechanics of anyone posting today, and I know from extensive private communications that he does not present conclusions without extensive background analysis and examination of all available options in the given situation. His advice to GJ to "do the math" was spot on and long overdue.

When I see Alfred spank posters such as yourself, knowing as I do a bit of HIS real life qualifications, I have to smile. Pray you never do run into him in a PBEM game. A wood chipper ain't in it.

(In case that last is too slangy for a native Russian speaker--he'd destroy you. And unlike me, he'd smile and be polite while doing it.)

The Moose

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 1749
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/29/2011 5:11:25 PM   
aztez

You guys really should take your personal fights and grudges elsewhere. Start an separate thread where you can bash each other to death.

This is not the place by any means.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 1750
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/29/2011 5:30:39 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: aztez

You guys really should take your personal fights and grudges elsewhere. Start an separate thread where you can bash each other to death.

Agree Aztez.

Yes guys, please, i really liked the atmosphere of this thread and it'd be a pity if this atmosphere vanished because of personal problems between some of the posters and contributors.

Thanks in advance.

G.J.

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 1751
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/29/2011 5:34:24 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

I think your concerns should be addressed to FatR, not to me. I stand by my statement to him, and about him, and I'll let it go at that.

The Moose

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 1752
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/29/2011 5:43:18 PM   
aztez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

I think your concerns should be addressed to FatR, not to me. I stand by my statement to him, and about him, and I'll let it go at that.

It was "addressed" to everyone. I'am well aware on these happenings etc.

The AAR's are not the place to "fight and bash". Other ways to do it elsewhere.

Now you got me side tracked already so I shut my mouth on this.

Tx Greyjoy... you start planning your moves with time. Good luck.

Post #: 1753
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/29/2011 5:49:44 PM   
FatR

quote:

I think his CVs were not included into that evaluation. For sure he was talking about Subs and other "minor" stuff. Don't know about DDs cause if i was him i'd never halt the DD production. However for sure he concentrated mostly on boosting his aviation rather than his other assets.

Thinking things through, complete shutdown of the naval program is indeed implausible. Looking at the economic balance of Scen 2, it is easily possible to crank out about 1500-1800 aircraft per month just by turning off merchant production (relying on the large surplus that Japan has at the beginning) and sub production (because they are very expensive, relatively to their combat value). And Rader doesn't need that many yet, with Japanese AC losses being less than 11k at the beginning of February.

Speaking of boosting the aviation, I suspect you didn't have any agreements against unlimited airgroup resize? That's probably the reason Japanese pilot quality is still maintained somewhat (although I should repeat, that the observed combat results already point at Allies having a significant edge in this area already).

< Message edited by FatR -- 7/29/2011 5:50:49 PM >

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1754
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/29/2011 7:08:17 PM   
wpurdom

quote:

Hi all,

the game will be on hold till monday (european time). This should let me enough time to reflect and decide what to do. I won't post nor ask anymore advices till then, cause at the moment my main concern is to clean my mind and "feel" my own strategy, trying to take into consideration every single suggestion kindly given by you readers and come up with a "personal" plan that may be a good sinthesis (sp?!) of the various problems related with the present strategical situation.

Again, i thank all of you for your efforts in helping me understand and learn this awesome game. No matter how it will end this match, it will have been a wonderful journey

See u soon

GJ

GreyJoy - you are a great sport and human being. As is typical of newbies, you are sometimes buffeted by events and confused by the conflicting advice you get. In the game it is likely that you may fail to take the optimal analytical line. But the unfailing politeness and good cheer with which you react to the cacophony of comments, some extremely astringent, shows that in human interactions you operate at a high level.

You have a good idea. Take the breather, decide both the strategy and the type of game you want to play and then have a go at it. And its up to you whether you want to go into grand-master type training or just play to have fun, or somewhere in between. (Canoerebel wilfully refused to attempt to master the mechanics of pilot management in his fight against Miller, 'cuz it just wasn't fun to him. Of course, he sometimes got frustrated with the effects on his game).

So also keep in mind that you more-or-less deliberately choose to fight a match from the heavy underdog position, so don't be too surprised that things often don't go as well as you hope.

Good luck, godspeed, and have fun with "Inexperience, Act 2."

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 1755
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/31/2011 7:22:04 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: wpurdom

quote:

Hi all,

See u soon

GJ

GreyJoy - you are a great sport and human being. As is typical of newbies, you are sometimes buffeted by events and confused by the conflicting advice you get. In the game it is likely that you may fail to take the optimal analytical line. But the unfailing politeness and good cheer with which you react to the cacophony of comments, some extremely astringent, shows that in human interactions you operate at a high level.

You have a good idea. Take the breather, decide both the strategy and the type of game you want to play and then have a go at it. And its up to you whether you want to go into grand-master type training or just play to have fun, or somewhere in between. (Canoerebel wilfully refused to attempt to master the mechanics of pilot management in his fight against Miller, 'cuz it just wasn't fun to him. Of course, he sometimes got frustrated with the effects on his game).

So also keep in mind that you more-or-less deliberately choose to fight a match from the heavy underdog position, so don't be too surprised that things often don't go as well as you hope.

Good luck, godspeed, and have fun with "Inexperience, Act 2."

Wpurdom, that's really too kind of you. I don't think i do deserve so much, but thanks anyway. In a forum is much more easier to be a "nice person" than in RL unfortunately...here if someone pisses you off, you simply have to change the http address and that's all.

However guys, i made up my mind. Most of you won't like it, i know, but Wpurdom's words made me reflect.
I think i'll play somewhere "in between". I've studied and made tests during the last days. Hellcats won't save my butt alone, nor the corsairs. However i'm sick of getting frightened by my own shadow and i decided that, wise or not, i'll give him fight, blood and steel. If i'll badly lose...well...i'll surely get frustrated...but, we will have both had fun times of playin. And that's the only thing that does matter at the end of the story.

So tomorrow the Allies will try to save the Solomons, not evacuating them but fighting to reinforce and to hold.

It's gonna be a meatgrinder. We'll all have fun!

Still thanks for everything. Hope you're gonna follow me throughtout this adventure

See u soon

(in reply to wpurdom)
Post #: 1756
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/31/2011 7:30:45 PM   
House Stark

I think you made a fine decision to stand and fight. Evacuating might save you some troops, but you might've also ended up with more taking an unplanned swim. And the longer you keep Rader busy in the Solomons, the longer before he can ship that 5000 AV back to meet you in India. And if you can keep in the air...your planes for his pilots is a fair trade, if it means that you can keep killing them as fast as he can train them. Your plane replacements increase in quality and quantity much more than his at this point. *Disclaimer, AE newb talking* I think that the worst thing you could do would be to give him a breather.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1757
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/31/2011 8:06:22 PM   
FatR

A good decision, GreyJoy, but remember, you need to have not only determination to fight, but a plan as well. Consider what elements of your force can be sacrificed for the victory (like xAKs) and what supplementary operations (based on the knowledge of KB's location and Japanese troop commitments) can be undertaken to relieve the burden of Solomons' defenders. Apply a very serious effort to secure your rear (this applies both to building more bases from which you can support your Lunga cluster and hunting down Rader's subs, which vexed you so much recently). Don't be afraid to commit troops there at the expense of the other areas in the Pacific - prospects of Japanese invasions outside of LBA support are rather slim at the moment, as long as you don't lose your carriers.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1758
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/31/2011 9:07:33 PM   
jonreb31

That's the spirit! I've been watching this game intently, and was hoping you would decide to stay and fight.

Give em' hell!

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 1759
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/31/2011 9:15:26 PM   
Dixie

Good decision.  Even if you don't win you'll learn far more from fighting through this situation than you would from running away.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to jonreb31)
Post #: 1760
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/31/2011 10:06:24 PM   
Nemo121

For what it is worth it has always been my opinion that those who quickly dismiss Alfred ( particularly with the assininity of "let's see your AAR" or somesuch ) are merely highlighting their inability to understand the depth of his analysis.

What he says about the advice here and Greyjoy's habit of picking advice from mutually incompatible sources without reference to cohesiveness or the formation of a coherent long-term plan is spot on. Of course just because that advice is correct doesn't mean it is welcomed by the AAR group.

Alfred, it is positively melpomenean. I'll leave you to figure out just whom you are playing in this greek tragedy

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 1761
RE: The RN Worst Day - 7/31/2011 10:07:04 PM   
pws1225

Way to go GreyJoy. And a great AAR too!

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1762
RE: The RN Worst Day - 8/1/2011 12:03:10 AM   
GreyJoy

Thanks guys for your support. You know how much it means to me...

However, even if not with the patient and the depth which was required, i tried to make some calculations about how many AVs does Rader has at hand right now.

At the start of Scenario 2 Japan has, more or less, 8500 AVs (only considering infantry units, so not Eng nor Tanks). I'd say that between 3000 and 4000 are scheldued to arrive from 8th dec 41 till Feb 43 (always talking about INF).
Then Japan gets 50 PPs each day.
The typical "chinese" japanese division costs 1200/1400 PPs. That means that each month Japan can buy a division.
I'm pretty sure he has bought all the tanks he could spare, so probably till now he has "only" bought 12, maybe 13, divisions (something like 5000 AVs).
So that brings to a total of something around 17,000 AVs only counting Infantry. if you consider also Tanks and Eng, we're probably somewhere around 20,000 (remember that he had 14,000 AVs at Jodpur last august).

We have already seen 7,000 AVs in SOPAC (4500 at PM, 2000 at Tulagi and more 500 at Russell Island). As far as i can tell(intel, recon etc) he has brought many more big units at Rabaul during the last 2/3 months.

I know he has regiments at Scoodra, at Diego, at Cocos Island, Iwo Jima, Guam and Timor. At Java he has at least 2 regiments and some tanks units.
I've spotted the 6th Guards Div at Surat (exactly where i didn't want it to be) and i'm sure most of his tanks are still India (intel reports), while the rest has been shipped to Java.

Let's say he needs 1000 AVs to garrison my former chinese bases. More 1000 for garrisoning Indian main cities.

Now let's guess he has 10,000 AVs in Sopac (7000 already known plus 3000 at Rabaul and in the other bases - i've spotted lots of "garrison" units around), 600 AVs in the Bonins, 2,000 in the Mariannas, 500 in the Kuriles, probably more 2,000 in the DEI, 500 in Burma, say 200 at Scoodra and Diego, i'd say 500 at least at Colombo.

The rest could be easily in India, waiting for me to come.
I know this is not math. It's just guess, but i don't think we're that far from truth...

I've also made tests with Hellcats against Tojos and A6M3s and A6M5s. The Hellcats is superior to the IJN planes, but if not inferior nothing more than equal with the Tojo.

My decision to stay and fight in the Solomons is also dictated by my will to grind him down into a theatre where i can fight on decent conditions but still being on the defensive side, Playing an active defence. I know he's still superior. But our production will become acceptable in 2 months and....above all...i cannot really stand the idea of leaving 130,000 of my best troops to rot there. I wanna do my best to avoid a pacific stalingrad.

What is my plan? As easy as possible. I'll do what beppi, ADB and others have suggested (even if not in this context). I'll build up the Espiritu Santu, The New hebrids and the Fijis. Every single dot base will be built. I wanna make an iron ring around Ndani, Lungaville and Suva.
he wants to encircle Lunga with a ring of fire? Very well, we'll back it up with bases full of 4Es, DBs and fighters.
String must be right: as long as i have problems resupplying my men, he's gonna have lots of problems to resupplying 10,000 AVs for an offensive!
I still have 3 operative AFs in the front line. He's the one who has 80,000 men stuck on the beaches at Tulagi.
He's the one who has to find a solution to free them.
He's the one who has to attack.
He's the one who has to risk.

Let's see it on the positive side: he has to come to me. He has to invade. We've seen how bad it was his first landing at Tulagi... There won't be another PM where he can easily march all the way to my positions. He will have to land. And there, on the beaches, well entrenched, his troops will find the best the western powers can put on the ground: the US MARINES.

Again...i want to believe.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 1763
RE: The RN Worst Day - 8/1/2011 12:11:27 AM   
SoliInvictus202

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

For what it is worth it has always been my opinion that those who quickly dismiss Alfred ( particularly with the assininity of "let's see your AAR" or somesuch ) are merely highlighting their inability to understand the depth of his analysis.

What he says about the advice here and Greyjoy's habit of picking advice from mutually incompatible sources without reference to cohesiveness or the formation of a coherent long-term plan is spot on. Of course just because that advice is correct doesn't mean it is welcomed by the AAR group.

Alfred, it is positively melpomenean. I'll leave you to figure out just whom you are playing in this greek tragedy

for what it is worth on my part it is just on "how" and in which way this advice is presented! - the fact that Alfred is well acquainted with this game (I have often benefited from his suggestions) and has a sound understanding of warfare as such, I have never doubted nor questioned once...

< Message edited by SoliInvictus202 -- 8/1/2011 12:13:31 AM >

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 1764
RE: The RN Worst Day - 8/1/2011 12:22:31 AM   
terje439

Any chance of an updated map GreyJoy?

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to SoliInvictus202)
Post #: 1765
RE: The RN Worst Day - 8/1/2011 12:25:02 AM   
pws1225

Hello GY - I'm playing the Japanese side and have a sense of the costs involved of buying 'Chinese' divisions and garrisoning captured cities. The good divisions with high AV and experience are more like 1,800 PP each (from the Manchuko armies). And remember that 'garrisoning' units are lumpy, in that if you divide a division into it's three component parts, you'll have about 120-140 AV each. That means many cities will be over garrisoned with more AV than they need. My point is that I think your estimates of available AV coming out of China is too large by a factor of at least 30 to 40 percent. I estimated that Japan would need about 4 to 5 divisions in addition to what is already garrisoned at the start of the game to adequately garrison China.

Good luck and keep gaming!

Regards Paul

< Message edited by pws1225 -- 8/1/2011 2:14:23 AM >

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1766
RE: The RN Worst Day - 8/1/2011 5:21:32 AM   
Bullwinkle58

Just a question from left field . . .

What have you got defending NZ? Land, sea, and air?

The Moose

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1767
RE: The RN Worst Day - 8/1/2011 8:04:46 AM   
GreyJoy

Ok guys, here we go again!

Here's the situation map of the 10th Feb 1943

As you probably remember Japan has easily conquered with Paras Rennell Island (after a great pounding by 150 Helens), Thousand Ships Bay and Auki (the little dot base just north of Tulagi). At the same time my naval search has been reported now for days a constant presence of small vessels coming and going from Munda, Vella-La Vella and the other dot bases south of Shortland. He's clearly advancing south, moving in infantry units, base forces and Engineers. If he can base his planes in 8 different bases...i simply cannot shut them all at once, even with 200 4Es at hand!

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Feb 08,09 43

We've ordered some little offensive actions, both in the Air and by sea, using small TFs composed of 2 or 3 DDs with the idea of interdicting his shippings.
My DDs will use Tulagi as base, while i based my 18 Corsair Group at Tassafaronga in order to provide a sweep mission

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Panggoe , at 111,133

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid detected at 48 NM, estimated altitude 34,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 18 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 12
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 7
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 11
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 33
Ki-46 KAI Dinah x 3

Allied aircraft
F4U-1 Corsair x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 1 destroyed
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 1 destroyed
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1 Corsair: 4 destroyed

mmmm...not exactly what i hoped for...F4Us seems inferior to the P-38Gs for what concerns sweeps----

--------------------------------------------

Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 35,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 4
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 1
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 5
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 4

Allied aircraft
P-38G Lightning x 23

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 1 destroyed
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 1 destroyed
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 2 destroyed
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 1 destroyed

No Allied losses

P-38s are a lot better....

However, while he keep on sweeping Lunga, Tulagi and Tassafaronga with 100 fighters (i give him no opposition here, having moved almost everything back to Ndeni), my 4Es come to soften the newly built Panggoe base south of Shortland...the corsairs didn't soften enough the air defences and we suffered some losses...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 33 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 5
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 4
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 6
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 16
Ki-46 KAI Dinah x 2

Allied aircraft
B-17D Fortress x 11
B-17E Fortress x 3
B-17F Fortress x 5
B-24D Liberator x 37

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 2 destroyed on ground
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 1 destroyed, 7 damaged
D3A1 Val: 5 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 3 damaged
B-24D Liberator: 2 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
67 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 12
Airbase supply hits 10
Runway hits 30

However the raid was usefull because i need to slow him down as much as possible. It will be an expensive strategy, but i think it's the right one: buy time!

Our 2Es from Ndeni pounded the jap paras at Rennell Island badly...i'll get that damned island back to my hands! Cannot let it fall so easily in japs' bloody hands!

Morning Air attack on Yokosuka Assault SNLF, at 113,140 (Rennell Island)

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 30 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-25C Mitchell x 51
B-26B Marauder x 10

Allied aircraft losses
B-25C Mitchell: 2 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
31 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Our A2A kill ratio remains good. We are always winning 1.5/2 to 1...but 4Es and Corsairs are starting to suffer of pilots losses...that's the price to pay for going on the offensive missions

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1768
RE: The RN Worst Day - 8/1/2011 8:06:51 AM   
CaptBeefheart

GreyJoy: You, sir, are a showman of the highest order. One again, thanks for the entertainment you provide in this epic clash of wills. May the man with the biggest cojones win!
Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

Post #: 1769
RE: The RN Worst Day - 8/1/2011 8:08:41 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Just a question from left field . . .

What have you got defending NZ? Land, sea, and air?

Only land units. We've shipped lots of supplies and fuel since day 1 to NZ and we've extracted only some air units from there.
I really doubt however that he's coming for NZ now. He'll need a full scale invasion and he cannot for sure invade NZ bypassing The Solomons, New Hebrids and New Caledonia....and all those places have strong defences that he cannot simply ignore. No, i don't think, at least as far as my CVs are afloat, that he can even think about invading NZ.

Post #: 1770
Page:   <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The RN Worst Day Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI