Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game Suggestions:

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Game Suggestions: Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game Suggestions: - 4/20/2011 5:24:18 PM   
Sabre21

I added this up here so that for you guys that have ideas on how to improve on the game, you can add in a suggestion below. This isn't saying they will be accepted, but it will be a place to consolidate ideas so they don't go missing from the general forum. We have a Suggestion thread on the tester forum, so adding one here should help.

Let's keep suggestions reasonable though if you would. There are some things that for WitE won't change, like the 10 mile per hex scale or the fact that we use an IGOUGO system. That won't change either. Nor will you see phasers, photon torpedoes, nor heavy armored vehicles like you see below

But suggestions like 76mm's in adding the ability to save turns to one's hard drive from the server providing they can't be loaded back onto the server is a decent idea.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/20/2011 5:53:13 PM   
Uxbridge

So why not start and put up a brand new will-never-happen suggestion.

For all I love this game, there’s one thing that I really would like to see: the use of colour codes for organization one additional step below the present one. I constantly have to click units (playing Germany) to remind me of what division belongs to which corps. I realize you’re not going to re-draw the graphics, but wouldn’t it be possible to add an additional soft factor, so that you can see what divisions belongs to which corps (and similar for Russian units)? It would be much easier seeing the overall situation at a glance, something that will be even more important now, when unit integrity has been more pronounced.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 2
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/20/2011 6:00:30 PM   
LiquidSky

I would like it if the colours could be changed...I have a bit of difficulty with the different colour shadings: for example, 16th 18th and 2nd army are all kind of too close for me to see easily. Maybe some way we can choose the colours ourselves?

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 3
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/20/2011 6:02:38 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uxbridge

So why not start and put up a brand new will-never-happen suggestion.

For all I love this game, there’s one thing that I really would like to see: the use of colour codes for organization one additional step below the present one. I constantly have to click units (playing Germany) to remind me of what division belongs to which corps. I realize you’re not going to re-draw the graphics, but wouldn’t it be possible to add an additional soft factor, so that you can see what divisions belongs to which corps (and similar for Russian units)? It would be much easier seeing the overall situation at a glance, something that will be even more important now, when unit integrity has been more pronounced.

We looked at corps level but there are only so many colors that can be easily distinguishable from one another so we left the color scheme to Army for the germans and Front for the Soviets. You can thank Ester for her diligence in getting these colors where they are and putting up with us old grognards that did not want to see pink being used..lol.

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 4
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/20/2011 6:04:38 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

I would like it if the colours could be changed...I have a bit of difficulty with the different colour shadings: for example, 16th 18th and 2nd army are all kind of too close for me to see easily. Maybe some way we can choose the colours ourselves?

I know that too was brought up by testers..I think at the time it was a priority issue but is certainly one that needs to be revisited.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 5
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/20/2011 6:11:16 PM   
Aussiematto

Suggestion regarding the historical constraints which, on the Axis side, are largely unit withdrawals and on the SU side are forced changes to TOE etc which (I am told by my opponents) can play havoc.

Utilise the AP system to allow players to choose to vary these historical events. I will limit this suggestion for the moment to the Axis side which I know well. Each turn, when a unit (not SU -- too much bother) goes into the 'withdrawing' mode (eg not actually left the map but is now live for withdrawal soon, as indicated on the unit by the word withdrawing), Axis player can elect to do 3 things: 1) spend x AP to cancel the withdrawal altogether; 2) spend y AP to substitute an equivalent unit (given that, in theory, ANY unit could be equivalent, perhaps limit this to a list of similar units, within the same army); 3) spend nothing and confirm the withdrawal. x AP should be something significant and could be linked to the combat value of the unit (say 10 for a Mot / Armoured; 7 for Special -- paras, mountain; 5 for infantry); y AP should be a set amount -- 2 AP.

A second suggestion I've made elsewhere but tweaked: you can currently attach a flak SU to a city. Permit attachment of a construction unit to a city which would repair industry, port, etc; once free of damage unit returns automatically to previous HQ. Similarly, have a 'rail repair commitment' doctrine (100% = all possible construction units rail repair automatically down to 0%).

thanks for a great game...!

I still remember cardboard!

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 6
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/20/2011 6:47:57 PM   
Uxbridge

CAUCASUS OIL:

A major part of USSR's oil resources were situated in the Caucasus. In order for this oil to be used, railroads, pipelines and barges along the Volga took the oil to be used by industries and the Red Army. If the Germans had cut this link by Stalingrad, or at any other point were all three means of transportation was located, they would eventually have severed much of the Red Army's ability to operate with tanks and motor vehicles. The only way the oil could have been moved after that was by the insufficient seagoing traffic on the Black Sea. I don't think this is really modelled in the game (could be wrong). It could be worth considering, as it would give the campaign for the south its rightful meaning.

< Message edited by Uxbridge -- 4/20/2011 6:49:12 PM >

(in reply to Aussiematto)
Post #: 7
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/20/2011 7:21:31 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: majeloz

Suggestion regarding the historical constraints which, on the Axis side, are largely unit withdrawals and on the SU side are forced changes to TOE etc which (I am told by my opponents) can play havoc.

Utilise the AP system to allow players to choose to vary these historical events. I will limit this suggestion for the moment to the Axis side which I know well. Each turn, when a unit (not SU -- too much bother) goes into the 'withdrawing' mode (eg not actually left the map but is now live for withdrawal soon, as indicated on the unit by the word withdrawing), Axis player can elect to do 3 things: 1) spend x AP to cancel the withdrawal altogether; 2) spend y AP to substitute an equivalent unit (given that, in theory, ANY unit could be equivalent, perhaps limit this to a list of similar units, within the same army); 3) spend nothing and confirm the withdrawal. x AP should be something significant and could be linked to the combat value of the unit (say 10 for a Mot / Armoured; 7 for Special -- paras, mountain; 5 for infantry); y AP should be a set amount -- 2 AP.

A second suggestion I've made elsewhere but tweaked: you can currently attach a flak SU to a city. Permit attachment of a construction unit to a city which would repair industry, port, etc; once free of damage unit returns automatically to previous HQ. Similarly, have a 'rail repair commitment' doctrine (100% = all possible construction units rail repair automatically down to 0%).

thanks for a great game...!

Knowing that the German side of it is pretty much set, I know Gary wouldn't go with a way to cancel units that withdraw. I like the concept, but maybe when War in Europe comes out we will have a much more flexible system for both sides. Possibly even if there is a second iteration of this game like WitP:AE.

Your second idea i think is a pretty good one, I'll have to check with Joel or Pavel to see if CB's are already automatically used to assist in rebuilding damaged industry. As for the rail repair doctrine, I'm not sure if that's needed. I tend to reassign all the cb's to army group or okh and that's pretty much all they do it seems is rail repair. If you attach them at lower Hq's they will help dig in units attached directly to that Hq or rail repair out to certain ranges.

(in reply to Aussiematto)
Post #: 8
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/20/2011 7:25:36 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uxbridge

CAUCASUS OIL:

A major part of USSR's oil resources were situated in the Caucasus. In order for this oil to be used, railroads, pipelines and barges along the Volga took the oil to be used by industries and the Red Army. If the Germans had cut this link by Stalingrad, or at any other point were all three means of transportation was located, they would eventually have severed much of the Red Army's ability to operate with tanks and motor vehicles. The only way the oil could have been moved after that was by the insufficient seagoing traffic on the Black Sea. I don't think this is really modelled in the game (could be wrong). It could be worth considering, as it would give the campaign for the south its rightful meaning.

This would be a Pavel question. I hope he sees this, he is pretty busy. It is hard to say what other oil resources the Soviets had outside the Caucasus in WWII or how much they might have had stored in various sites. As for how it is specifically modeled, Pav or Joel will need to answer that.

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 9
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/20/2011 8:18:29 PM   
Aurelian

Would like seperate save game folders.

Unless they're there and I'm missing them.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 10
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/20/2011 8:50:51 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Would like seperate save game folders.

Unless they're there and I'm missing them.

Do you mean between ai vs pbem games?

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 11
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/20/2011 9:49:35 PM   
Klydon

Or could just set it up that you can browse in the save game window. Right now I think you can only save/load a game from there, not change folders or anything like that. While we are at it, would be nice to get the auto save to at least go to its own folder if you can work in a "change folders" interface on the save game window. 

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 12
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/20/2011 10:19:04 PM   
Manstein63

One thing that would be nice on server games is that when the game is finished you can look at the other side & see exacltly what they had & where it was
Manstein63

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 13
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/20/2011 11:43:58 PM   
Pawlock

I'd like an option to be able to toggle off the Recon replays but still watch all other stuff when playing the AI.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 14
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/21/2011 1:22:11 AM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pawlock

I'd like an option to be able to toggle off the Recon replays but still watch all other stuff when playing the AI.

Just hit "0" as the recon starts and then your favorite report level number when it is over; at zero there is no report and the recons proceed at a rate of 9-20 per minute.

(in reply to Pawlock)
Post #: 15
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/21/2011 4:37:54 AM   
Zoetermeer

I've said it before so I don't want to be annoying about it, but an open savegame format would be great for those of us who are willing to write some really cool third-party tools.

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 16
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/21/2011 6:27:35 AM   
JocMeister

I would like to second Klydons suggestion! I have three AI games running atm with 10-92 saves per game. The ability to make folders in the savegame interface would be wonderful! :)

My own suggestion would be to completly overhaul the airsystem. I feel its way to abstracted atm.

Playing the soviets for the first time I found it even more unmanagable. Perhaps if you could form/divide groups and make divisions it would be more managable (forming larger groups). I also noted that I can´t sort groups alphabetically when picking groups for an airbase. Also the filter is reset everytime you leave the interface which is a bit annoying.
I know overhauling the whole system may be a bit off the scale but improving the interface would be a huge improvment! The sheer number of soviet groups is way too much for the interface. I find it very hard to keep track of everything. Its just a list with hundreds of units atm.

(in reply to Zoetermeer)
Post #: 17
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/21/2011 9:00:15 AM   
Tarhunnas

Great with a wishlist

I would like configaurable settings for what happens when I move a unit into a hex containing other units. At present, all units in the hex become selected, but that is usually not what I want, most times I want to keep having just the unit I moved selected. I realize others might want it differently, so it would be nice with a selectable preference.

Also it would be nice with a way for the player to select which units are shown on top in a stack. For example "HQs on top" or "Strongest unit on top" or "Rail construction units on top".

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 18
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/21/2011 2:53:15 PM   
PeeDeeAitch

Are you sure we can't have giant German walkers, Sabre?

"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 19
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/21/2011 3:39:21 PM   
morvael

Alternate method of working with stacks would be good:
1) left click to select top unit
2) left click on the same hex again - rotate the stack (I would like to have HQ always on top instead of the unit that first moved into hex) and select new top unit
3) double click to select entire stack
4) do not select other units in new hex when moving via right clicks

(in reply to PeeDeeAitch)
Post #: 20
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/21/2011 3:52:30 PM   
76mm

Actually I can't take credit for the server-save game idea, I think lots of people have asked for it.

I'm assuming that this wish list could apply to a Field Marshall edition, rather than just an average patch, so:

1) Fix the map east of Lgrad, make it more heavy woods/swamp (see seperate thread...);
2) Fix rail somehow so that cutting one track near Stalino doesn't render all of the track south of the Dnepr and in the Crimea "dead". Given all of the ports in this area, it seems rather unlikely that there would be NO rail in the entire Crimea for instance. This has important gameplay effects because it makes if very difficult to move troops through the Crimea and beyond. EDIT: Elsewhere I've suggesting leaving track "live" if it is connected to a port, or a certain level of port capacity (under the theory that where there are ports, there are trains).
3) One niggle, not sure if I'm the only one to notice it: in the Strategic Reserve, when you try to filter by type of plane, it is almost impossible to select/deselect fighter-bombers. Everything else is fine, but whenever I want to select FBs, I need to select everything and then deselect everything but FBs. Irritating.
4) Also, why can't we sort the National Reserve by type of plane (ie, Yak-1)?
5) Greatly reduce the AP cost of transferring empty armies/corps, etc. Why does it cost as much, or more, to re-assign an empty army, than to disband it and create a new one? Let's say an army has fifteen CPs. You decide to reassign these units to free up the army, and then would like to transfer it to a new front. You've already paid AP to transfer all of the units, why should I have to pay another massive chunk of AP to transfer an empty army?

That's all for now...

< Message edited by 76mm -- 4/21/2011 4:02:38 PM >

Post #: 21
A general purpose system that lets you flag units - 4/21/2011 4:06:14 PM   
Varity

It might be my particular play style, but right now I have huge problems keeping track which units I have already moved, which units I don't intend to move and which units I haven't even looked at or forgotten to reexamine after deferring their move initially. In consequence, I spend about 1/2 hour for every turn reexamining all my units both on the map and in the commanders report (sorted by MPs remaining) to figure out if I'm really, really done with the turn or if I've forgotten anything.

Therefore, it would be nice if every unit had a informative flag that you could set and clear at will that has no impact on the rest of the game and just serves as an organizing tool for players. With such a flag, I could mark units that I'm done with for the turn and quickly find those still waiting for orders.

You should be able to set and clear the flag for units that are selected on the main map, pressing the insert key might set the flag, the delete key might clear it. It should be visible in the unit bar and as a soft factor.

Pressing Ctrl-Insert should highlight all flagged units on the map, like f.e. Ctrl-9 now highlights rail repair units. Ctrl-Delete should highlight the non-flagged units.

The flag should be visible as an extra sortable and filterable column on the units tab of the commanders report screen. There should be a function to set or clear the flag for all selected units on the commanders report, like the refit/reserve, Max TOE% and support level functions.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 22
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/21/2011 4:44:41 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon

Or could just set it up that you can browse in the save game window. Right now I think you can only save/load a game from there, not change folders or anything like that. While we are at it, would be nice to get the auto save to at least go to its own folder if you can work in a "change folders" interface on the save game window. 

Ok..I understand what you are asking for. Not a bad idea. I run into the same problem in testing multiple games. My save folder gets pretty large. Right now I make seperate folders and save the files manually, but it would be nice to have an in-game abilty to direct savegames to a specific folder. A "Save As" function would probably do the trick.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 23
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/21/2011 4:45:56 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Manstein63

One thing that would be nice on server games is that when the game is finished you can look at the other side & see exacltly what they had & where it was
Manstein63

Yep..that would be nice if we can't already do it. Another request to Slitherine.

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 24
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/21/2011 4:48:06 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pawlock

As Pompack suggests, press your keyboard "0" (zero) so there is no message level while recon is occurring and it will go by quick, then once combat starts up, press any other number to start back up the combat messages.

(in reply to Pawlock)
Post #: 25
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/21/2011 4:49:43 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zoetermeer

I've said it before so I don't want to be annoying about it, but an open savegame format would be great for those of us who are willing to write some really cool third-party tools.

I'm not sure I understand this one, I doubt anytime soon the code will be opened for others to work with if that's what you are suggesting. This engine will probably be around for sometime.

(in reply to Zoetermeer)
Post #: 26
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/21/2011 4:52:37 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

I would like to second Klydons suggestion! I have three AI games running atm with 10-92 saves per game. The ability to make folders in the savegame interface would be wonderful! :)

My own suggestion would be to completly overhaul the airsystem. I feel its way to abstracted atm.

Playing the soviets for the first time I found it even more unmanagable. Perhaps if you could form/divide groups and make divisions it would be more managable (forming larger groups). I also noted that I can´t sort groups alphabetically when picking groups for an airbase. Also the filter is reset everytime you leave the interface which is a bit annoying.
I know overhauling the whole system may be a bit off the scale but improving the interface would be a huge improvment! The sheer number of soviet groups is way too much for the interface. I find it very hard to keep track of everything. Its just a list with hundreds of units atm.

The air system is being worked on. Not sure if the interface is being looked at though. I know it can be a daunting task working with so many air groups.

< Message edited by Sabre21 -- 4/22/2011 2:28:13 PM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 27
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/21/2011 4:57:50 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tarhunnas

Great with a wishlist

I would like configaurable settings for what happens when I move a unit into a hex containing other units. At present, all units in the hex become selected, but that is usually not what I want, most times I want to keep having just the unit I moved selected. I realize others might want it differently, so it would be nice with a selectable preference.

Also it would be nice with a way for the player to select which units are shown on top in a stack. For example "HQs on top" or "Strongest unit on top" or "Rail construction units on top".

The first request would be one of those nice to have functions, maybe down the road some once the higher priority type things get worked out. The current system isn't too bad though. The right panel appears when a stack is selected and you cn easily select or deselect the unit (s) you want to move.

Both requests were brought up by testers quite some time ago and on more than one occasion. But we have what we have as a result of a lot of discussion on them.

< Message edited by Sabre21 -- 4/21/2011 5:33:48 PM >

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 28
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/21/2011 4:58:35 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: PeeDeeAitch

Are you sure we can't have giant German walkers, Sabre?

Maybe I do

Post #: 29
RE: Game Suggestions: - 4/21/2011 5:05:39 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvael

Alternate method of working with stacks would be good:
1) left click to select top unit
2) left click on the same hex again - rotate the stack (I would like to have HQ always on top instead of the unit that first moved into hex) and select new top unit
3) double click to select entire stack
4) do not select other units in new hex when moving via right clicks

Looks like more than one of you would like to see this type of functionality or something like it. Right now when you select a stack the right panel appears and the stacked units are displayed allowing for pretty easy selection or deselection of whichever unit you want. I really don't see a problem with the way it currently works.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Game Suggestions: Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI