Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Game Suggestions:

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Game Suggestions: Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Game Suggestions: - 6/29/2011 7:48:48 PM   
DTurtle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tarhunnas
I don't understand. How would that help me see units that are out of command range of their HQ?

I don't have the game at hand right now, but IIRC there is a filter in the bottom right of the commander's report for units out of HQ range. Then you set all of those units to refit/reserve and with the border thing turned on you can easily see them on-map.

If I don't recall correctly, you can sort them by range to HQ and do the same thing with a few more clicks (just going down the list and setting them to refit with on e click).

< Message edited by DTurtle -- 6/29/2011 7:49:12 PM >

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 331
RE: Game Suggestions: - 6/29/2011 7:58:38 PM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

ORIGINAL: DTurtle

quote:

I don't understand. How would that help me see units that are out of command range of their HQ?

I don't have the game at hand right now, but IIRC there is a filter in the bottom right of the commander's report for units out of HQ range. Then you set all of those units to refit/reserve and with the border thing turned on you can easily see them on-map.

If I don't recall correctly, you can sort them by range to HQ and do the same thing with a few more clicks (just going down the list and setting them to refit with on e click).

Yes, that works, thanks! Though it is kind of a roundabout way, and it messes up the allocations I want for Reserve, Refit etc.

(in reply to DTurtle)
Post #: 332
RE: Game Suggestions: - 6/30/2011 4:32:25 AM   
56ajax

Attach Unit to the nearest HQ function....rarely use this coz I never know in advance how much it will cost and what the AI chooses to be the nearest HQ...so perhaps a confirmation message....

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 333
RE: Game Suggestions: - 6/30/2011 4:42:36 AM   
jomni

ROE / casualty tolerance selection for units (can also be set via HQ) to determine retreat.  This does away with the fixed doctrines in the game and the unpopular 1:1 retreat odds for German defense vs Russian attack.

With this, it is now up to the player if he wants to stage a fanatic defense or a human wave attack. But expect ahistorical results and increased casualties since most people will take the fanatic stance. :)

< Message edited by jomni -- 6/30/2011 4:44:31 AM >

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 334
RE: Game Suggestions: - 6/30/2011 1:25:06 PM   
saintsup

quote:

ORIGINAL: johntoml56

Attach Unit to the nearest HQ function....rarely use this coz I never know in advance how much it will cost and what the AI chooses to be the nearest HQ...so perhaps a confirmation message....

+1
Or a choice when there are several HQ's at tehe same distance.

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 335
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/1/2011 9:29:16 PM   
Uxbridge

When examining a unit, I think I would rather have Ready-Damaged-Ground Element-Experience-Fatigue than Experience Ready-Damaged-Ground Element-Fatigue. Ready and Damage works together just as Morale and Fatigue seems to be related. The Ground Element description would work nice as a divider.

(in reply to saintsup)
Post #: 336
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/4/2011 6:42:07 AM   
Kiith

Haven’t read the entire thread but I’d like to add a couple of suggestions regarding the Assign air unit window.

1)      Please add a column for Moral.

2)      Improve the method to filter by Type, or at least have an option to save your last sort. Unclicking all but the one you want all the time gets tedious fast. Also could the option to sort by aircraft name be included also.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 337
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/4/2011 8:40:00 AM   
delatbabel

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

ROE / casualty tolerance selection for units (can also be set via HQ) to determine retreat.  This does away with the fixed doctrines in the game and the unpopular 1:1 retreat odds for German defense vs Russian attack.

With this, it is now up to the player if he wants to stage a fanatic defense or a human wave attack. But expect ahistorical results and increased casualties since most people will take the fanatic stance. :)

+1

--
Del

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 338
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/4/2011 4:23:50 PM   
Shupov

+1

quote:

A function to highlight all units out of command range of their HQ. That would save a lot of time.

STALINADE

The real RED soda!

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 339
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/4/2011 6:23:25 PM   
Lieste

Have AP cost to support units as well as to build them originally. Units used (movement, digging beyond basic trenches or fighting) would have a higher 'cost' than those left alone - artillery heavy formations a heavier combat cost than lighter troops etc.

The cost should be sufficient to just permit brief all-front operations, but not to sustain them, or to perform large scale rebuilding at the same time. Ideally have the cost most efficient when 'prepaid' as HQ build-up is now, so that impromptu offensives are more expensive/less efficient, or just cannot be implemented within a 1 week timescale (depending on size of forces involved).

It seems a pre-occupation of Red Army players to keep ~400AP (500 less likely arrivals) 'in the kitty' during the autumn/winter of 1941, which seems to be odd - that while the Red Army is fighting for it's very life there is a mechanism (corps conversion, future building needs) that enforces 'everything for the future' rather than 'everything for the front'.

The severe reductions in TOE, and the need to build Brigades (which may in fact have resembled most in-the-field Rifle Divisions, after the losses in 1941), suggest that there was nothing 'spare' running into the first winter.

OTOH, with a maintenance cost per unit/weapon, a reduction in army size (from losses) or operational tempo (mud, winter, voluntary) frees this for restructuring/rebuilding/building stocks for a new limited offensive etc.

(in reply to Shupov)
Post #: 340
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/6/2011 4:22:10 PM   
Vilhjalmr

Add an "auto quick-save" feature. Essentially, the functionality I'm looking for is a way to have my turn automatically saved in the background every XX minutes (say every 15 or 30 minutes) or even just have a prompt asking me if I'd like to do a quick save at that time. It is extremely frustrating to make a move and accidentally exit the game without saving your move or have your computer crash while you are in the middle of a turn.

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 341
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/12/2011 11:11:49 PM   
neuromancer

I think the ability to set units to manual upgrade or auto-upgrade would be of benefit. No changes to the upgrade path, no complex algorithms to whether the computer should upgrade, just the option to not upgrade if the player doesn't wish it.

This would of course be of most benefit for an Axis player who is doing better than historical in the late game and doesn't need his units to all convert to the Desperate Defence mode that most of them did historically (mobilize everything in sight, understrength battalions with many machine guns, smaller and smaller armoured groups, etc.)

Think of it like the airgroups where they can auto-upgrade or not. And by the same token set large numbers of units to auto-upgrade or not in the Commander's Report screen.

< Message edited by neuromancer -- 7/12/2011 11:12:39 PM >

(in reply to Vilhjalmr)
Post #: 342
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/13/2011 2:42:40 PM   
Djouk

Sorry if my idea has already been submited, on multiplayer game i would like to present offers of peace, capitulation, total surrender... some thing like this to avoid to finish the game loosing time with a far better opponent than me. On the other side as their is no glory to win without pain i think such opponents who master this game would agree to abort game on such conditions.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 343
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/14/2011 11:56:54 AM   
lastdingo

Advancing divisions seem to convert more hexes to friendly when moving one hex at a time than when ordered to move multiple hexes at once - at identical action points cost.
This motivates the player to order multiple moves when he really only wants to do one. Annoying.

(in reply to Djouk)
Post #: 344
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/14/2011 12:08:12 PM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

ORIGINAL: lastdingo

Advancing divisions seem to convert more hexes to friendly when moving one hex at a time than when ordered to move multiple hexes at once - at identical action points cost.
This motivates the player to order multiple moves when he really only wants to do one. Annoying.

Never seen that. To me it seems the same wether they are order to move a long path or hex by hex.

(in reply to lastdingo)
Post #: 345
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/17/2011 12:45:16 PM   
Djouk

After some tests i realized that this game don't check ressources connexions. For exemple tentative to take Stalingrad and astrakan port had ALSO for objective to cut russian ressources between caucasus and lend lease from Iran for russian factories. Taking these 2 objectives had certainly many repercussions on all russian factories. So taking ressources or destructing them is well simulated but not for cutting enemy ressouces as if it was like supply connexion. This concept is not in the game. I know this may be hard to code but to take this in account why not handicap russian factories if axis hold Stalingrad and/or astrakan for example... (just an idea because without this rule axis has certainly to take much more land to win than he could have historically, i just even forget the decrease of moral that came for loosing stalingrad for soviets)

At least 1 random scenario for barbarossa campaign should be welcomed, in fact it is very easy for an axis player to optimize first turn and why not script it knowing with advance where russians units are ... and this is ahistoric. Randomizing size and place of units above all for russian side 1st turn should set a part of incertainty.

< Message edited by Djouk -- 9/13/2011 9:10:42 PM >

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 346
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/17/2011 7:05:24 PM   
Shupov

How about improving the "." hotkey instead (or adding a new one)? It's not very useful as it is because it cycles though all the units seemingly at random. It would be better if it cycled only through the HQ's and highlighted the units in or out of command range. I would use it at the end of each turn to find all my units out of supply.

quote:

A function to highlight all units out of command range of their HQ. That would save a lot of time.

STALINADE

The real RED soda!

(in reply to Shupov)
Post #: 347
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/17/2011 10:44:52 PM   
randallw

The "." hotkey does not move randomly; it moves down the column of the current hex to the next with a unit, then shifts to the top of the column to the right when the bottom of the current column is reached.

(in reply to Shupov)
Post #: 348
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/17/2011 10:49:50 PM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw

The "." hotkey does not move randomly; it moves down the column of the current hex to the next with a unit, then shifts to the top of the column to the right when the bottom of the current column is reached.

Yes, seemingly at random, like the man said. What is the use of that? I think that was a good suggestion by Shupov.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 349
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/18/2011 4:07:28 AM   
Shupov

quote:

quote:

Yes, seemingly at random, like the man said. What is the use of that? I think that was a good suggestion by Shupov.

I didn't realize that's how the "." hotkey works, but it still it takes too long to cycle through all units. If some players like it that way then I suggest a new hotkey that only cycles through the HQ's.

STALINADE

The real RED soda!

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 350
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/19/2011 4:53:48 PM   
nedcorleone1

I mentioned this (albeit just a couple hours ago) in a thread but it is probably more appropriate here.

Combat Results Detailed Log
- A full, level 7 log of the events that took place in a particular combat situation. This would 'add to the story' for those of us who are playing the game on more than just a tactical level. Besides it would be just plain neat to see what actual equipment is causing what particular damage on what particular equipment. Just purge the data at the start of the next turn and perhaps add an 'export/export all' feature for those who want to store some of their more epic battles.

Record/Replay Feature
- A way to record your epic struggles and share with others a complete recording of your campaign complete with play, rewind, fast-forward, 'skip-to-date', etc. features. You wouldn't have to record every little detail but say movement snapshots, battle locations, etc. It would just be neat to see, at the very least, how your units moved over the course of your campaign. Also this would give a neat opportunity for people to share their strategies on a more consumable level.

Losses Data for Destroyed Units
- A way to view a tally of the losses inflicted from just destroyed units for a turn somewhere on the casualty screen under the 'destroyed units' tab.

The above features, granted, are a bit on the glitz and glamour side of things as they don't really address fixing issues or game balances. I just feel like the information is already there, now lets just be able to store said information so I can go back and parse the data I want without having to sit there and attempt to catch it all in real time.

< Message edited by mr_flappypants -- 7/19/2011 5:05:16 PM >

(in reply to Shupov)
Post #: 351
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/22/2011 2:44:24 AM   
Shupov

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shupov

quote:

quote:

I didn't realize that's how the "." hotkey works, but it still it takes too long to cycle through all units. If some players like it that way then I suggest a new hotkey that only cycles through the HQ's.

Another option would be to show units beyond HQ command range in the Commander's report with a different color. Simply change the DtHq number to red. A player could then pick the unit's coordinates to jump to it on the map and move the unit or its HQ within range.

STALINADE

The real RED soda!

(in reply to Shupov)
Post #: 352
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/22/2011 8:08:51 AM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Another option would be to show units beyond HQ command range in the Commander's report with a different color. Simply change the DtHq number to red. A player could then pick the unit's coordinates to jump to it on the map and move the unit or its HQ within range.

You can already do that. Just sort the units on distance to HQ. Everything negative you have to fix. The drawback is that it is more cumbersome to go back and forth to the CR. If they were highlighted on the map, you would be able to see it immediately as you move the units or HQs, and a visual glance on a map is always better than perusing a table.

Read my AAR:s ye mighty, and despair!
41Ger
41Sov
41Ger
42Ger
42Sov

(in reply to Shupov)
Post #: 353
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/22/2011 8:16:40 AM   
56ajax

May have already mentionned this but when assigning air units, the data in Select Air unit window is unsorted ( Ithink) but some of the columns are sortable eg Exp, Rdy, Tot etc but the default sort is from Low to High.....now i dont think I am ever going to choose a unit with the lowest Exp Rdy etc but rather the opposite so can we have the default sort from High to Low please....

and is the originator of this thread still reviewing these suggestions?

(in reply to Shupov)
Post #: 354
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/22/2011 9:09:49 PM   
Jakerson

It would be nice to have sub menu to check replacement received by unit during turn update little bit similar that supply menu to check supplies received and supply source during turn update.

Reason I would like to have this data is that I can more easily estimate time how long it takes to refit unit back full strength with pace my units get replacemants.

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 355
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/22/2011 10:53:51 PM   
sven6345789

Hi
how about adding a button to make the victory conditions random (similar to the weather)
this way you never really know when the germans will win their auto victory
For example; the fall of moscow could be a sudden death victory (that is the fall of the russian government); but you do not really know if the fall of moscow will trigger it (both sides); Also, major cities could be worth a few points more or less;
Result would be some uncertainty for both sides and might make preplanning difficult

regards,
Sven

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943

(in reply to Jakerson)
Post #: 356
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/23/2011 6:01:22 PM   
Shupov

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You can already do that. Just sort the units on distance to HQ. Everything negative you have to fix. The drawback is that it is more cumbersome to go back and forth to the CR. If they were highlighted on the map, you would be able to see it immediately as you move the units or HQs, and a visual glance on a map is always better than perusing a table.

I should have used the term "supply range" instead of "command range". Units with DtHq greater than or equal to zero will receive support from their HQ's.

For supply, DtHq must be greater than or equal to zero and the distance between the HQ and the unit must be less than or equal to 20 MP. In bad weather a unit can easily be 5 hexes away from its HQ and show DtHq=0 but still be out of supply because the number of movement points to its HQ exceeds 20. Depending on terrain and enemy zones of control DtHq can even be >0 and the unit will be out of supply. That is why the units are bordered in red.

This is the whole reason for my suggestions.

BTW there is a typo in the Manual section 5.2.2.1. It should say "cannot trace a path through friendly or pending friendly hexes less than or equal to 20 hexes in length to the HQ unit."

STALINADE

The real RED soda!

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 357
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/28/2011 7:30:21 AM   
randallw

The Soviet MDs which don't convert to a Front can't be moved, yet they still try to collect construction and sapper/eng units; it's a waste of manpower and armaments.  Can the coding be changed so the MDs don't automatically try to collect them? ( Yes, the MDs still try to collect the units even if the MDs are locked )

(in reply to Shupov)
Post #: 358
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/28/2011 9:11:44 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: saintsup

quote:

ORIGINAL: johntoml56

+1
Or a choice when there are several HQ's at tehe same distance.

I use this function all the time, and am always frustrated when I find out that there is a HQ equi-distant away hidden in a stack, and the unit is assigned to it instead. I think if two HQs are equi-distant, the unit should be assigned to the HQ with the fewest command points already assigned.

(in reply to saintsup)
Post #: 359
RE: Game Suggestions: - 7/28/2011 9:17:46 AM   
76mm

One thing is starting to drive me crazy: let's say I attack an enemy unit and force it to retreat. I then want to move a stack of three units into the newly-vacated hex, and the units have different CVs (lets say 14, 12, 10).

Very very very often, I cannot simply move the stack into the hex: I have to move the unit with 14 MP first. It's presence then allows the unit with 12 MPs to move into the hex, but not the unit with 10 MPs. Once the units with 14 and 12 MPs have both moved into the hex, then the unit with 10 MPs can also move in. So I can move the whole stack, but only one at a time, but takes a long time. Why not just allow the stack to move in from the beginning?

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Game Suggestions: Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI