Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Infantry functions?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Infantry functions? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Infantry functions? - 4/21/2011 2:32:13 AM   
Pillar

I'm sorry if this has been asked and covered elsewhere -- I ran a search for "Infantry" and came up with no results, that can't be right.

What commands and actions are infantry capable of in PCO? Also what kinds of fortifications for infantry and heavy weapons (HMG/Mortar/ATG mostly) are available? Do they have FOW?

I noticed browsing some threads in the list that there are no covered arc commands. What method does PCO use to assign focus for infantry (and range for ambush?)

< Message edited by Pillar -- 4/21/2011 2:48:23 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Infantry functions? - 4/21/2011 3:57:56 AM   
Mobius

Infantry cover the area to their front. Infantry mounted in trenches have fewer orders available than in the open.
Mounted in a trench or foxhole they basically Defend or Engage. This is an HQ squad with contact to an artillery battery so in addition there is a Spot Artillery button that could be selected.

Here a squad can select Defend. When Defending in a trench it can either Stay, which is the default or Hold fire. Holding fire may allow it to ambush enemy units. There are several types of hold fire. One is to only fire when there is a better than 50% chance of scoring a hit. Or the squad can hold fire for Close Assault. That is until an enemy approaches to within 25m where it is close assaulted. Or it can hold all fire no matter what.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mobius -- 4/21/2011 4:01:51 AM >

(in reply to Pillar)
Post #: 2
RE: Infantry functions? - 4/21/2011 3:58:42 AM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pillar

I'm sorry if this has been asked and covered elsewhere -- I ran a search for "Infantry" and came up with no results, that can't be right.

What commands and actions are infantry capable of in PCO? Also what kinds of fortifications for infantry and heavy weapons (HMG/Mortar/ATG mostly) are available? Do they have FOW?

I noticed browsing some threads in the list that there are no covered arc commands. What method does PCO use to assign focus for infantry (and range for ambush?)

Infantry units are modelled on the squad, team, or sniper unit level. there are no orders for covered arc. You can order infantry to hold fire for a "good" shot, hold all fire for close assault. You can also issue the infnatry using the standard rules available for most units engage, defend, advance. etc.

Infantry can be ordered to 'mount' transports, buildings, and entrenchments.

EDIT: Ah, I see mobius has already given better illustration of these!

Thanks
rick

< Message edited by Rick -- 4/21/2011 4:00:29 AM >

(in reply to Pillar)
Post #: 3
RE: Infantry functions? - 4/21/2011 4:05:16 AM   
JMass

quote:

Also what kinds of fortifications for infantry and heavy weapons (HMG/Mortar/ATG mostly) are available? Do they have FOW?

They have FOW and are available MMGs, HMGs, 50mm mortars (heavier mortars are available for off-map IF only), ATRs, panzerfausts, panzerschrecks, infantry guns and flamethrowers.

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/JMass?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

(in reply to Pillar)
Post #: 4
RE: Infantry functions? - 4/21/2011 10:14:38 PM   
Pillar

Cool thanks for the answers guys.  Is close assault mostly something you'd mostly only want to use against tanks?  (50% or better per shot sounds really good)

When you score a hit, does it injure or kill 1 man per shooter (i.e., 9 shooters = avg of 4.5 casualties per shot) or does it use some other calculation?

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 5
RE: Infantry functions? - 4/22/2011 12:19:28 AM   
Mobius

quote:

Cool thanks for the answers guys.  Is close assault mostly something you'd mostly only want to use against tanks?  (50% or better per shot sounds really good)
Yes, the close assault is a specal attack that can damage or destroy tanks. It is an abstract action of one or more men throwing AT-grenades, molotov cocktails, placing mines or grenade bundles on the tank. This is at a 25m or under range. There isn't an actual count of these weapons in the squad's inventory. The squad just has to be in good order to use this attack.

quote:

When you score a hit, does it injure or kill 1 man per shooter (i.e., 9 shooters = avg of 4.5 casualties per shot) or does it use some other calculation?
A hit is at least a few rounds into the area that a squad occupies. This is mostly a matter of ballistics not number of rounds. The squad is spread out around a point centered on about a 20m x 20m area. Since men occupy a small percentage of this area there is not likely to be anyone hit. There is a firepower factor which represents the number of bullets fired at the squad which reflects the chance of some men being hit. Men in a squad not hit can still be suppressed. The firepower factor is offset when the men are in cover.

< Message edited by Mobius -- 4/22/2011 12:32:51 AM >

(in reply to Pillar)
Post #: 6
RE: Infantry functions? - 4/22/2011 12:45:48 AM   
rickier65

quote:

For Close assault there is a 10% chance for a unit within 25m to close assault a vehicle. this chance can be improved based on some modifiers. If the inf. unit does close assault, there is a roughly 50% chance of causing some damage.

For infantry losses, Squads have three 'steps': full, loss of about 1/3 squad, loss of 2nd third of squad, and destroyed. Some infantry units are teams and they have only two step. full, half loss, destroyed.

Thanks
rick

(in reply to Pillar)
Post #: 7
RE: Infantry functions? - 4/23/2011 2:46:28 PM   
junk2drive

Last night I had a Russian rifle squad in a house with orders to Defend>Hold fire for close assault. Rick drove a PZIV without infantry support right by the house. It took a couple of phases but the tank was knocked out. Moral of the story is do not drive tanks near buildings without infantry either ahead or mounted.

In CMx1 you had men counted in a squad. Typical was 12 men. What that basically is, is 12 step losses. You could split a squad in CM and hold back the half with the LMG. You could have the half squad lose moral and when rejoined the whole squad had the red dot. After that they remain fragile.

We have morale and fatigue but once recovered, they are recovered.

Whether or not the different ways of doing things add to gameplay and immersion is a personal choice.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Infantry functions? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI