Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/23/2011 5:56:10 PM   
Schmart

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

They arrive as shells, the reason you don't see them arrive as shells is the same reason you don't see Soviet units arrive as shells if no other units are refitting: they take priority when it comes to replacements because they are refitting, and the replacement segment happens after their arrival (in the same logistics phase).

With more units in refit, the reconstituted units won't suck up substantial numbers of replacements, because the replacement system will divide them between refitting units.

With all due respect, the only counter-argument I'm seeing in this light, is that "this is the way the game is". No real justification. I guess I would ask: Why is it this way? My argument is that it's not historical to have re-constituted units arrive near full strength. And the solution is simple: have re-constituted units (for both sides) arrive on map as unready shells (ie: turn the auto refit function off for them).

I tend to use refit sparingly, such that it generally reflects reality: units pulled back off the line for rest and replacements (although as the Russians, I also tend to have a larger number of such units resting, yet it still has no effect on the re-constituted units). Your statement that not enough units are on refit hence the re-constituted units arrive near full strength suggests that I should put half my army on refit for the sake of it, to "game the system" and not to actually reflect reality, kind of defeats the whole purpose of the refit function and defeats the spirit of a great game like this (using one un-historical action to cancel out another).

The in game reality should be that the refit function is used sparingly (hence the refit 'nerf' a while back), funneling the majority of regular replacements to the front, with a minority proportion diverted to re-build and re-fit units.

< Message edited by Schmart -- 12/23/2011 6:02:09 PM >

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 841
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/23/2011 6:00:36 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

Again when you can't refute whats clearly wrong you point fingers. Normal 2 by 3 MO.

Pelton, personnal attacks are your "MO", not mine or that of 2by3. Neither Flavio or me work for 2by3, so you're just insulting 2by3 for no real reason here.

I'll report that post, you're just insulting 2by3 for no real reason.

What is there to refute? Have you presented any actual facts, in-game examples or screenshots so anyone can verify what you're saying? No, only vague statements.

Have I explained to you what's causing what you're seeing and what can be used as a workaround to the annoyance you see? Yes, in a way that everybody can verify. Just place a large number of units on refit as the Soviets, or a smaller number of units as the Axis and the shells will generally be depleted or barely unready at the end of the replacement face. I can do it every single turn, so why can't you?

quote:

With all due respect, the only counter-argument I'm seeing in this light, is that "this is the way the game is". No real justification. I guess I would ask: Why is it this way? My argument is that it's not historical to have re-constituted units arrive near full strength. And the solution is simple: have re-constituted units (for both sides) arrive on map as unready shells (ie: turn the auto refit function off for them).

Gary wants it to be this way it seems, there's little I can say about why the rule is there in its current shape.

Also: I'm not going to debate with anyone whether the units arrive as shells or not, as they do.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 12/23/2011 6:04:03 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 842
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/23/2011 9:28:36 PM   
Joel Billings

Boy this arguement is swamping this AAR and should probably go elsewhere. At the risk of making things worse, I'll just say that I think it works the way it does because the German High Command (very high) had a propensity to rebuild dead units and keep more weaker units around than to rebuild existing units. So a lot of manpower was tied up in this effort, since it actually takes quite awhile to rebuild a unit. As it is we already give the German player great freedom to merge units together. So the rules are the way they are to account for some of this bias in the system that the commander's in the East were forced to deal with, with some simplification and abstraction (some for ease of play, some for ease of coding). Again, I don't see a mechanic that is broken, just one that does not perform the way you would like it to. Call this design decision pure and simple. WAD. Sorry you don't like it (believe me I understand why you don't like it). Now please let these guys go back to their AAR and take the arguement elsewhere if you need to keep it going. I want to see how this game is going to turn out even though it's got so many different version's rules in it it's anybodies guess what the results means. It just looks like a fun game to me.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 843
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/23/2011 9:49:58 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

quote:

Again when you can't refute whats clearly wrong you point fingers. Normal 2 by 3 MO.

Pelton, personnal attacks are your "MO", not mine or that of 2by3. Neither Flavio or me work for 2by3, so you're just insulting 2by3 for no real reason here.

I'll report that post, you're just insulting 2by3 for no real reason.

What is there to refute? Have you presented any actual facts, in-game examples or screenshots so anyone can verify what you're saying? No, only vague statements.

Have I explained to you what's causing what you're seeing and what can be used as a workaround to the annoyance you see? Yes, in a way that everybody can verify. Just place a large number of units on refit as the Soviets, or a smaller number of units as the Axis and the shells will generally be depleted or barely unready at the end of the replacement face. I can do it every single turn, so why can't you?

quote:

Gary wants it to be this way it seems, there's little I can say about why the rule is there in its current shape.

Also: I'm not going to debate with anyone whether the units arrive as shells or not, as they do.

Gary wanted the flying pig 1v1 = 2v1 BS which is 100% and still is 100% unhistorical and just plain LAMO!

Debate? I am not debating anything. I know what the stupid design is, thats the point the design is nonhistorical.

The point is the way they come in as shells is about as stupid a design as possible, it as with many other rules"designs" kicks the German player in the nuts.

Its 100% non-historical as was 1v1=2v1, spam bombing airports ect ect

Any russian that wants to can 100% exploit this flying pig design. Some are during the blizzard and many are late in game.

As 2 by 3 knows for a fact when the units come back they suck up almost all the new recriuts, which means the recriuts go to -50 moral units instead of going to the front to +70 moral units.

This system is a joke and a really shty design. I dont care if Obama came up with the idea its just plain non-historical and stupid. No one is fooling anyone. Garys idea of 1v1=2v1 was a joke the same as this shell crap.

Is this a historical game or Gary's personal dream game based on what he wants or history?

Its a non historical design, put in to handy cap the German side with out question.

It can be fixed very easly, but is not. By design.

Pelton

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 844
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/23/2011 9:56:53 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Boy this arguement is swamping this AAR and should probably go elsewhere. At the risk of making things worse, I'll just say that I think it works the way it does because the German High Command (very high) had a propensity to rebuild dead units and keep more weaker units around than to rebuild existing units. So a lot of manpower was tied up in this effort, since it actually takes quite awhile to rebuild a unit. As it is we already give the German player great freedom to merge units together. So the rules are the way they are to account for some of this bias in the system that the commander's in the East were forced to deal with, with some simplification and abstraction (some for ease of play, some for ease of coding). Again, I don't see a mechanic that is broken, just one that does not perform the way you would like it to. Call this design decision pure and simple. WAD. Sorry you don't like it (believe me I understand why you don't like it). Now please let these guys go back to their AAR and take the arguement elsewhere if you need to keep it going. I want to see how this game is going to turn out even though it's got so many different version's rules in it it's anybodies guess what the results means. It just looks like a fun game to me.

Wow your can't be for real.

OKH is going to rebuild units while the front is falling apart? To full strength in 1 week?

If thats where the recriuts go in say 42 why is the moral of the unit -50 if nation moral is 75?

Its this way by design to nothing more then kick the German player in the nuts.

The Russian side can send their recriuts to the high moral units first then the sht units, but the German player is stuck with this BS.

Normal 2 by 3 MO.

Pelton

< Message edited by Pelton -- 12/23/2011 9:59:08 PM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 845
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/23/2011 10:47:00 PM   
ComradeP

Pelton, the Soviets have the exact same "problem" with units arriving in refit mode. You seem to be so busy ranting that you don't actually read what people post.

As usual, you spin it so it looks like it is somehow a deliberate design choice that badly harms the Axis, whilst in reality it applies to both sides and the effects are nowhere near as disastrous as you imply.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 12/23/2011 10:49:10 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 846
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/23/2011 11:11:58 PM   
Joel Billings

They are frozen for 6 turns. Units must take time to build up to higher morale/experience levels. It takes time to move replacements to the front. Much is simplified abstracted, and trade-off by high command is not as easy as you make it sound. I agree in final days, it is not the best, but then in those final days troops could not be easily moved to new units instead. It's a system we feel works reasonably well for the entire game. Many things are simplified so we could complete the game in our lifetime.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 847
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/24/2011 8:09:00 AM   
Tarhunnas

Turn 176. October 26 1944.

Snow in the South and mud for the rest. A front of sorts has been patched together, but the writing is on the wall for Rumania...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 848
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/24/2011 8:18:16 AM   
Tarhunnas

While some comments and discussion is nice in an AAR, too extensive discussion will dilute the AAR. The reconstituted units and refit discussion is interesting, but could better be pursued in its own thread, which I will create.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2992659

< Message edited by Tarhunnas -- 12/25/2011 8:33:01 AM >

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 849
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/24/2011 8:33:04 AM   
Tarhunnas

Merry Christmas all readers!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 850
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/24/2011 9:11:35 AM   
Baelfiin

Tarhunnas be very carefull of where your German HQ's are when Rumania gets close to getting a city occupied. If they happen to be stacked with a rumanian unit (even a fort) they will be disbanded and gone for the rest of the game.

And Merry Xmas to you too !!

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 851
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/24/2011 11:55:48 AM   
ComradeP

Remember that you can form a ZOC line along the railroads in Romania to keep them from flipping to Soviet control when the country surrenders. Do keep in mind that you also need a unit in every town/city along the track (keeping it in ZOC is not enough, as towns/cities will automatically switch to the Soviet side when the country surrenders, you should keep a unit in them so they don't convert if you want to keep the rail line open). Doing that will result in your units still being in supply and not being isolated provided they can trace a path to the rail line.

You can also create a ZOC line running north/south through Romania (from Hungaria to Bulgaria) which will mean that although the hexes west of the line you control are not in your ZOC will convert to Soviet control, they will automatically convert back to your control in the next logistics phase provided they are not in the ZOC of enemy units. I prefer to do both that and a line along the rail lines, as the rail line will be wrecked if the control over it changes for even a single turn.

If the Romanians really do have a higher CV than your German units, you have a bit of a problem there. You could do the gamey thing and sacrifice them, or you can just place them somewhere where their automatic conversion to the Soviet cause won't immediately hurt you.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 12/24/2011 1:40:04 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 852
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/24/2011 1:11:47 PM   
Tarhunnas

Thanks for the tips on Romania!

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 853
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/24/2011 3:05:19 PM   
Baelfiin

Also make sure you have no rumanian turncoats on the border of bulgaria or yugoslavia. If you do both of those countries will surrender and become no move zones for you. Not a major problem just a heads up.

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 854
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/24/2011 3:37:29 PM   
gingerbread

So simply disband the Rumanian units, then?

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 855
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/24/2011 3:44:58 PM   
ComradeP

That's entirely possible, but I consider it to be a bit too gamey against a human opponent, just like disbanding the Italian units.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 856
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/25/2011 8:20:26 AM   
Tarhunnas

Turn 177. November 2 1944.

The Red Army is at the gates of Rumania, but the mud is creating supply problems for them, as can be seen by the number of yellow bordered units. A Soviet armored thrust in the direction of Galati has been cut off. Meanwhile, unready German units are railed to Rumania for rest and recuperation in the beneficial climate, and to ensure continued stability in the region.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Tarhunnas -- 12/25/2011 8:33:38 AM >

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 857
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/25/2011 8:23:42 AM   
Tarhunnas

In the central sector, the Soviets have been held, but Vitebsk and Velikiye Luki have fallen.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 858
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/25/2011 8:27:20 AM   
Tarhunnas

Turn 177 Production. The manpower pool is still increasing.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 859
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/25/2011 8:32:26 AM   
Tarhunnas

OOB and losses turn 177.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 860
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/25/2011 1:05:47 PM   
ComradeP

Keep in mind that the capture of any Romanian town below a certain line will do, so racing across those swamps or capturing the town at the top of the rail line north of Constanta can cause the Romanians to surrender.

If the weather turns to snow next turn, those Soviet spearhead units might be in trouble.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 12/25/2011 1:07:15 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 861
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/26/2011 12:24:57 AM   
Peltonx

2 million Germans, lol paper thin.

Wow I did not see the 14 million total Russian losses, thats got to be a record I would say for wite. Historical was about 12 million by the latest Russian records. Nice job.

Only 48 turns left. Blizzard will be tough when the rivers freeze.

One tactic you can do in the center and north is retreat 25 to 30 hexes, this will pull him far from rail heads and greatly shorten your lines. The mech units could be sent south to help load together the lines until spring. You could retreat 2 or 3 hexes per turn.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 862
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 12/26/2011 1:23:41 AM   
DTurtle

How much of your manpower is in the active pool and how much in the transit pool?

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 863
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 1/2/2012 7:18:41 PM   
Tarhunnas

Turn 178. Nov 9 1944. Snow.

Near the Rumanian border, an exploiting Soviet Mech corps meets its fate. Might this be the last time a Soviet unit will surrender?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DTurtle)
Post #: 864
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 1/2/2012 7:50:23 PM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

ORIGINAL: DTurtle

How much of your manpower is in the active pool and how much in the transit pool?

Turn 178 Manpower:

All Pools: 187833
Active: 161718
Transit: 26115

(in reply to DTurtle)
Post #: 865
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 1/2/2012 9:59:00 PM   
Baelfiin

Hang in there Tarhunnas

You can hold the line in the mountains for a long time when you get there.

WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 866
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 1/2/2012 10:10:51 PM   
Flaviusx

Tarhunnas, if you can keep Romania in the game until Christmas, my hat's off to you, that's no mean feat given the state of your forces. The Wehrmacht may be a wreck, but you're doing a great job running down the clock.

Despite everything, you are still way ahead of schedule here. To put this in perspective: the Sovs ought to be pounding on Budapest by this point down south. Up north, you have even more slack, they ought to be on the Vistula at this point, right next to Warsaw. The Soviets are at least six months behind schedule and more than that up north.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 867
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 1/2/2012 10:41:56 PM   
DTurtle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tarhunnas

Turn 178 Manpower:

All Pools: 187833
Active: 161718
Transit: 26115

Thanks. There goes my theory that maybe your manpower was increasing because of an accumulation of manpower in the transit pool.

Hang in there.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 868
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 1/3/2012 11:47:49 AM   
Tarhunnas

Turn 179. Nov 16 1944. Snow.

The Volchov line is holding...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DTurtle)
Post #: 869
RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) - 1/3/2012 11:48:25 AM   
Tarhunnas

And the front in the South.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 870
Page:   <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: 1.04 The Wolf and the Bear (no Gids) Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI