Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Books about the War in the Pacific?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/16/2011 5:00:53 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

This excellent series is actually available through Amazon.com.
History of United States Naval Operations in World War II 15 Volume Set [Hardcover]

In the internet(s) age, hard to find books and videos can usually be obtained through online shopping....

Hope it helps,
B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_United_States_Naval_Operations_in_World_War_II

I got it for Christmas almost 10 years ago. It is hard to come by now in complete form but is completely worth it.

The 15th and final book is also excellent because it contains an index that lists dozens upon dozens of other works that you can then branch out from and reference.

I noticed that when I posted, but those are used. My parents got my set for me. I have no idea where they got them from. For some reason I want to say that my mother perhaps ordered them straight from the publisher.

Holy moly! That is expensive from Amazon. I purchased mine for $150.00 from the Military Issue. Hasn't been in the catalog for some time; but I'm sure it will be back. Just keep an eye out for it come come back. Half way through volume VIII: the Aluetians, New Guinea & the Marianna's. Great stuff.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 31
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/19/2011 8:33:05 PM   
Macca

Thank you for all your answers!!! Now you got me browsing web in search!!!

I don't know what to start with;) gonna look for that 15 Vol monster;)

BTW

Best regards from Moscow, city of constant traffic jams, wonderful metro and incredible museums!!!

P.S. and slow internet in hotels....

Mac

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 32
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/19/2011 11:06:14 PM   
treespider

The Home Library:

Attachment (1)

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Macca)
Post #: 33
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/19/2011 11:26:24 PM   
Nikademus

lol....i thought i was the only one who would have a copy of 2194 days of war. (well i "used" to have a copy)

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 34
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/20/2011 12:05:41 AM   
spence

I would recommend:

Shattered Sword (just another endorsement)

Decision at Sea: The Naval Battle of Guadalcanal (Eric hammel)
Starvation Island (Eric Hammel again)
along with the Carrier Battles volume recommended earlier this constitutes a great trilogy about the Guadalcanal Campaign

Another interesting one is: A Long Days Journey Into War: December 7th, 1941. It concerns itself with the goings on all over the planet (Russia, North Africa, China) on that one single day and does a good job of fitting the U.S. entry into WWII into the context of the entire conflict.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 35
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/20/2011 1:24:43 AM   
toonces

I just finished Eagle Against the Sun and thought it was an excellent 1-volume account of the Pacific war. It will leave you hungry for more.

Costello's Pacific War is always a good choice.

I thought At Dawn We Slept was excellent. Although at first I didn't think I would like it as it goes heavily into the background of the war, once it got rolling towards the Pearl Harbor attack I couldn't put it down.

A few books that weren't mentioned- Lundstrom has a few books about the Pacific war. I particularly enjoyed Black Shoe Carrier Admiral, which is probably the defense of Fletcher alluded to above. His two First Team books are also excellent, but air-centric.

I just started The Rising Sun this week and I'm interested to see how it compares to other 1-volume war accounts.

(in reply to Macca)
Post #: 36
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/20/2011 1:43:32 AM   
barkman44

Japanese destroyer captain by Hara,Peleliu and two jima by Ross are good readable books.
Treespider you have a few books that I also possess-Prelude to Pearl Harbor is good,also see barrets Hitlers generals is the blue book to its right the one about Hitlers luftwaffe generals?There good to.

(in reply to toonces)
Post #: 37
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/20/2011 1:47:53 AM   
Don Bowen

All those years (and dollars) collecting Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships and now it's available online. Oh well, I prefer books. To lean over, spill coffee on, and put book marks in.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 38
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/20/2011 1:48:39 AM   
Don Bowen

The Green books are well worthwhile...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 39
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/20/2011 1:50:20 AM   
Don Bowen

Soem of this stuff is really great. Note two copies of World War II order of battle. The updated volume has just a little bit more...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Don Bowen -- 5/20/2011 1:56:03 AM >

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 40
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/20/2011 1:51:59 AM   
Don Bowen

This is the really good section. Those two bottom shelves cost more than my first year's pay in the Navy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 41
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/20/2011 1:54:03 AM   
Don Bowen

More books and some music. In the lower right is a picture of my beautiful wife during a rare Texas snowstorm.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 42
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/20/2011 1:54:59 AM   
Don Bowen

And the last of it...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 43
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/20/2011 3:31:17 PM   
dr.hal

A book that I found absolutely fascinating and fills a number of holes for some ships in the beginning months was Winslow: "The Fleet the Gods Forgot: The U.S. Asiatic Fleet in World War II". If you folks want to know what happened to the USS Pope for example, this is the book! I've only seen it in soft cover, but still worth getting for details of the US Asiatic Fleet.... Hal

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 44
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/20/2011 3:51:02 PM   
Herrbear

For what it is worth, most of the Green Books can now be purchased in CD form from the GPO.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 45
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/21/2011 8:01:00 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

I would recommend:

Shattered Sword (just another endorsement)

Great book! I have just finished reading it for the second time.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 46
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/21/2011 8:48:24 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Impressive collection, Don  By any chance, do you have a copy of "Forgotten Fleet: a history of the part played by Australian men and ships in the U.S. Army Small Ships Section in New Guinea, 1942-1945" by Bill Lunney and Frank Finch?  

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 47
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/21/2011 1:59:58 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Impressive collection, Don  By any chance, do you have a copy of "Forgotten Fleet: a history of the part played by Australian men and ships in the U.S. Army Small Ships Section in New Guinea, 1942-1945" by Bill Lunney and Frank Finch?  

Sure don't. A friend of mine in Australia attempted to get one for me but got no reply after asking about it on the website. You got one?

Don

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 48
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/21/2011 11:32:44 PM   
Skyros

When I first got married it was sharing pictures of babies and weddings. Whe I moved south it was pictures of the latest kill dead dear, ducks and bear. Now I must be in heaven, Did the rapture happen?, BOOKS, BOOKS BOOKS I love it. Do you are a ma after my ow heart!

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 49
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/22/2011 12:16:34 AM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyros

Do you are a ma after my ow heart!

Skyros, I think your "n" key has been Raptured.

BTW, congrats on post 1000!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 50
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/22/2011 12:28:23 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyros

Skyros, I think your "n" key has been Raptured.

That's fu y CV66!!!!

Uh-oh! Mi e too!!!!

< Message edited by TOMLABEL -- 5/22/2011 12:47:21 AM >

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 51
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/22/2011 4:03:38 AM   
ilovestrategy

My wife just saw this thread and asked me why are the guys here bragging by showing pictures of their books! 

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 52
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/22/2011 9:31:07 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Sure don't. A friend of mine in Australia attempted to get one for me but got no reply after asking about it on the website. You got one?

Don

Well, I have located a second-hand copy of the first edition at http://regimental-books.com.au

I'd prefer to get the updated and expanded 2nd edition - unfortunately it is "out of stock", "not available", "not found" or "Out of print"...

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 53
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/26/2011 5:20:38 PM   
barkman44

Very impressive,when i get all my books shelved I will attempt to show them here if I can figure out how to upload them to this forum.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 54
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/26/2011 5:57:25 PM   
dorjun driver

Say Don?  For those of us without a bunch of time on our hands, would you please sort those for us?.

(in reply to barkman44)
Post #: 55
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/28/2011 2:02:14 AM   
USS Henrico

Shattered Sword is now out for the Kindle, so that just became my Memorial Day reading material. As much as I admire the above collection, I don't have any more room for bookshelves in my house.

(in reply to dorjun driver)
Post #: 56
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/28/2011 7:57:46 AM   
Tullius

I can recommend "Empires in Balance" and "The Barrier and the Javelin" by H.P. Willmott. These books covers the war in the first months and are excellent from a strategical and political point of view and describes also the battles in a very analytical style. There is also a 3rd volume but i have not read it.

(in reply to USS Henrico)
Post #: 57
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/29/2011 5:06:16 PM   
SargeantTex

well lets start with

Flying Buccaneers-the illustrated history of Kenneys fifth air force written by Steve Birdsall

Ding Hao-Americas air war in china 1937-1945 written by Wanda Cornelius and Thayne Short

Saga of The Superfortress-The dramatic story of the B-29 and the Twentieth Air force written by Steve Birdsall

I-Boat Captain written by Zenji Orita with Joseph D. Harrington

A Battle History of The Imperial Japanese Navy(1941-1945) written by Paul S. Dull

The Battle of Leyte Gulf by Adrian Stewart

Enola Gay by Gordon Thomas and Max Morgan Witts

Samurai by Saburo Sakai

Blue Skies and Blood-The Battle of the Coral Sea byEdwin P. Hoyt

Storm over the Gilberts by Edwin P.Hoyt

Point of No Return-The story of the Twentieth AF by Wilbur H. Morrison

Guadalcanal by Richard B. Frank(Highly recommended probably no other book as indepth about Guadalcanal)

Pacific Warriors-The US Marines in WWII by Eric Hammel

Silent Victory 1+2 by Clay Blair JR or United States Submarine Operations in WWII by Theodore Roscoe (the latter is much better they are basically the same as far as the writing but the latter has a few extra goodies like maps of all the sinkings and etc. but is probably extremely expensive cost like 200 bucks 15 yrs ago so have no idea what it is now!!!)

(in reply to Tullius)
Post #: 58
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/29/2011 10:31:44 PM   
Tiornu

Speaking of books, I have some news. My latest title, Thunder in Its Courses: Essays on the Battlecruiser, is now available in Kindle and Nook editions. Hard copies should be out there in a couple weeks. Here's the promotional blurb.

Few subjects in naval history have elicited as much romance and disdain as the battlecruiser. And few subjects have gone so grossly misunderstood.
Fundamental errors regarding the battlecruiser's origins and the technology of the times continue to distort hindsight, obscuring the historical context of these powerful, majestic ships. Thunder in Its Courses clears away the misconceptions, with essays establishing the basic facts of the capital-ship cruiser as well as thorny issues regarding individual designs.
Richard Worth writes for the Warship and Warship International journals. His book titles include In the Shadow of the Battleship, Raising the Red Banner (with Vladimir Yakubov), On Seas Contested (edited with Vincent P. O'Hara and W. David Dickson), and Fleets of World War II.

Go ye therefore and order multiple copies!

(in reply to SargeantTex)
Post #: 59
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/30/2011 12:27:00 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tiornu

Speaking of books, I have some news. My latest title, Thunder in Its Courses: Essays on the Battlecruiser, is now available in Kindle and Nook editions. Hard copies should be out there in a couple weeks. Here's the promotional blurb.

Few subjects in naval history have elicited as much romance and disdain as the battlecruiser. And few subjects have gone so grossly misunderstood.
Fundamental errors regarding the battlecruiser's origins and the technology of the times continue to distort hindsight, obscuring the historical context of these powerful, majestic ships. Thunder in Its Courses clears away the misconceptions, with essays establishing the basic facts of the capital-ship cruiser as well as thorny issues regarding individual designs.
Richard Worth writes for the Warship and Warship International journals. His book titles include In the Shadow of the Battleship, Raising the Red Banner (with Vladimir Yakubov), On Seas Contested (edited with Vincent P. O'Hara and W. David Dickson), and Fleets of World War II.

Go ye therefore and order multiple copies!

Thanks for the tip Richard....I just ordered and downloaded to my Kindle. I look forward to reading it. And I look forward to ordering my hard copy version.

(in reply to Tiornu)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI