Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Big Bertha Bunkers?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Big Bertha Bunkers? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Big Bertha Bunkers? - 7/16/2011 6:42:26 AM   
Adam Parker

The one thing that I'm finding hard to "suspend my disbelief" over (and this is premised on the understanding that Panzer Corps is a massively abstracted game), are the Bunkers that can seemingly shoot a distance, the equivalent of Warsaw to Lodz on the grand Poland map, for example.

The behavior of artillery in Commander Napoleon was imo, one of the biggest short comings of the game - the ability of these guns to shoot distances between cities. It just didn't make sense, even in the abstract.

Highly unrealistic no need to say - but is there a better way to handle arty's punch? Or... was it always this way in the original Panzer General? I really can't recall.

Are bunkers way too strong - should we consider them to be defensive complexes "in depth"?

<shrug>

My 0.2.
Adam.
Post #: 1
RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? - 7/16/2011 7:55:50 AM   
Razz1

There are 4 different type of bunkers.
Each can be killed easily if you use combined arms and the correct mix.

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 2
RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? - 7/16/2011 3:09:52 PM   
Jestre

The Roid-Bunkers is the one thing about the game that has me shaking my head too. Just seem way too powerful for their range. The Bunkers in PG2 only had a 1 hex range IIRC and could be easily bypassed. These will nail you half way across the map...

(in reply to Razz1)
Post #: 3
RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? - 7/16/2011 3:47:02 PM   
Rudankort

Bunkers in Panzer Corps also have one hex range, only forts are long-range. Most forts have a range of 3 hexes. I don't see how this can be too big: many artillery units have the same range.

(in reply to Jestre)
Post #: 4
RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? - 7/16/2011 4:18:41 PM   
Jestre

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rudankort

Bunkers in Panzer Corps also have one hex range, only forts are long-range. Most forts have a range of 3 hexes. I don't see how this can be too big: many artillery units have the same range.

My mistake, forts then. Just seem way too powerful for static emplacements to have that kind of range with what seems like no consideration for los and observation. Artillery needs to have a spotting unit to have los, Forts just seem to be able to hit anything within range....

(in reply to Rudankort)
Post #: 5
RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? - 7/16/2011 5:24:31 PM   
Razz1

You think there going to build a fort with knowledge of the territory and artillery range?

(in reply to Jestre)
Post #: 6
RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? - 7/16/2011 5:30:24 PM   
Jestre

quote:

ORIGINAL: Razz

You think there going to build a fort with knowledge of the territory and artillery range?

I am sure they would but I am not aware of WWII era satellite spotting.... Without FO's they wouldnt know where or when to fire. With units being hit miles away with no adjacent units I find that somewhat gamey....

(in reply to Razz1)
Post #: 7
RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? - 7/16/2011 5:39:39 PM   
Razz1

They have spotter. You can not see them as individual men are not on the map.

(in reply to Jestre)
Post #: 8
RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? - 7/16/2011 6:03:52 PM   
mariandavid

Except when facing an enemy with a very effective security system forts were set up to fire direct and indirect at any possible target in range. And they spotted by sight and geo-listening devices (the latter brought to a fine art in WW1) when air observation was knocked out. The only caveat is that the strength of a fort was by no means related to its range - the strongest of all, those on the Maginot Line had only stubby 155's as their main weapon. Note however that coastal ones - Singapore and Hong-Kong for example obviously had much longer ranged equipment.

(in reply to Razz1)
Post #: 9
RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? - 7/17/2011 12:07:53 AM   
stemak

The only problem I have with them is that they disappear again due to fog of war ..... it would be more realistic if only the remaining strength disappeared. I'm pretty sure a real commander would mark them on the map with a big pen.

(in reply to mariandavid)
Post #: 10
RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? - 7/17/2011 4:12:01 AM   
Apollo1967

quote:

ORIGINAL: stemak

The only problem I have with them is that they disappear again due to fog of war ..... it would be more realistic if only the remaining strength disappeared. I'm pretty sure a real commander would mark them on the map with a big pen.

That's a great point. Since bunkers don't move, there is no reason they should be surrounded by the Fog of War after they have been initially spotted. Hopefully this will be modified in a future patch.

(in reply to stemak)
Post #: 11
RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? - 7/17/2011 2:02:47 PM   
willgamer

quote:

That's a great point. Since bunkers don't move, there is no reason they should be surrounded by the Fog of War after they have been initially spotted. Hopefully this will be modified in a future patch.

that's got my vote....

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?

(in reply to Apollo1967)
Post #: 12
RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? - 7/17/2011 4:07:19 PM   
Rocko911

I agree also on fog of war with forts or bunkers. The fact is they are a static defense structure.

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Big Bertha Bunkers? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI