Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Latest news...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Latest news... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 11:09:00 PM   
WoodMan

Everything revealed in this thread is great news.  As usual Elliot/Matrix have taken onboard a lot of what the community has said 

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 121
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 12:19:07 AM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard
Random characters eliminated and replaced by an espionage agent? Not sure if I like the sound of that one. If I understand correctly, it's basically one of your advisors telling you that they have security concerns and will replace your greatest general with a new spy? Why would I run my empire like this? Sorry, I don't get it.

Maybe he means that one of your guys like a general or a scientist is a traitor and reports back to some other empire. You know, like the KGB or the CIA or any of the other infernal intelligence services like the Romulan... what are those guys called... umm umm umm oh yeah, Tal Shiar might turn another sovereign nation's person...

Yes, your'e right, TJ. That makes more sense. Just the way I was reading it seemed a bit odd. In that case, instead of calling the event 'Security Concerns' something like, 'Treacherous Fiend!' would be more apt.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 122
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 12:56:19 AM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard
Yes, your'e right, TJ. That makes more sense. Just the way I was reading it seemed a bit odd. In that case, instead of calling the event 'Security Concerns' something like, 'Treacherous Fiend!' would be more apt.

I agree. We have a saying here in the states... Benedict Arnold... although, in some countries he is considered a hero...
What was it Admiral Jerrock said: one world's fiend is another world's hero... perhaps I am neither one...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 123
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 12:58:21 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback!

Just to clarify a couple of things, the resource bonuses are specific to each faction. Each faction has two or three critical resources that they get bonuses for having access to on their colonies. There is only one faction that gets +10% to reproduction because of Megallos Nuts. You may feel free to guess who that is.

The Security Concerns event is indeed intended to be a "Treacherous Fiend" type of event. It is a Ketarov-specific event and they also have two of their four faction-specific victory conditions based on espionage.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 124
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 1:03:53 AM   
Pipewrench

fantastic to see that with the different story lines the replay-ability is there in spades. This should be a blast to explore when she is released.

thx for the update...

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 125
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 1:04:01 AM   
Simulation01

How dare you besmirch the word fiend with Benedict Arnold!

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 126
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 1:14:35 AM   
Simulation01

Those Teekans are prolly after some Nuts!

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 127
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 1:50:34 AM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

The Security Concerns event is indeed intended to be a "Treacherous Fiend" type of event. It is a Ketarov-specific event and they also have two of their four faction-specific victory conditions based on espionage.

That's awesome! Thanks for the clarification, Erik. Sounds really good actually. I know instantly what race in the Star Trek mods will be using this trait.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 128
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 2:11:33 AM   
vince0018

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

What's your CPU, GPU, RAM and VideoRAM? If any of those is minimum or not much above it, it would have an effect.

Windows 7x64 Home Premium
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33Ghz per core
Nvidia GeForce GTX460 768MB
8GB DDR3 RAM

I know my weak point here is my processor but I've been told to get a better one I have to replace my motherboard.
I'd love one of those i7's myself. One day when I get some extra money maybe I'll invest in a new motherboard.

< Message edited by vince0018 -- 9/3/2011 2:42:34 AM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 129
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 2:56:06 AM   
Baleur

Lets not discuss framerate in this thread, the fact is that the game is very unoptimized due to its engine. Not being able to handle simple zoom in / zoom outs with a 2d nebula sprite without several seconds of stutter is not caused because freighters are flying around, it is caused by zooming and the game not having a proper engine. Even say, flash would be able to deal with smooth zooming in such conditions (purely graphically speaking). There's no logical reason why the CPU being strained should have any effect on a 2d game's graphics. Yet this engine seems to be coded as such, which is a shame. Still a great game though!

I just have one concern, the spheres of influence. I really, REALLY do hope they don't cause as much stutter as the nebulas do, because if so it will render the game unplayable.
Also i do hope their edges will be given a smoothing treatment.
The thing i'm most excited about has to be the leaders and more unique races. Though i hope it doesnt turn into Civilization 5's ridiculous system where one civ is essentially only good at 1 thing (warfare, culture or tech). I'm sure it won't, but i just had to say it out loud. I want any race to be a viable choice for any playstyle.

(in reply to vince0018)
Post #: 130
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 3:06:55 AM   
WoodMan

quote:

I just have one concern, the spheres of influence. I really, REALLY do hope they don't cause as much stutter as the nebulas do, because if so it will render the game unplayable.
Also i do hope their edges will be given a smoothing treatment.

I hope we can toggle them on and off on the main screen if we like and have them viewable only on the minimap, that would be nice.  

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 131
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 3:28:20 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baleur

They don't cause any stutter for me, but then again the systems I'm playing DW on don't have any of the performance issues you describe either. We'll definitely watch for performance issues during the beta test process and optimize where we can. They can be toggled on and off.

Regarding the faction-specific stuff, we're trying to bring them more in line with their background, but this is also an optional feature that can be chosen (like the current storylines) when you setup your game so that we can continue to support as many playstyles as possible. If you want to play a peaceful Boskaran Democracy, you may want to turn their normally conflict-oriented victory conditions off.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 132
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 3:37:58 AM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: vince0018

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

What's your CPU, GPU, RAM and VideoRAM? If any of those is minimum or not much above it, it would have an effect.

Windows 7x64 Home Premium
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33Ghz per core
Nvidia GeForce GTX460 768MB
8GB DDR3 RAM

I know my weak point here is my processor but I've been told to get a better one I have to replace my motherboard.
I'd love one of those i7's myself. One day when I get some extra money maybe I'll invest in a new motherboard.

Yep that old CPU is the issue.I have the same specs with no stutter issues in the nebula but my i5 2500K clocked to 4.60GHz makes a big difference.

(in reply to vince0018)
Post #: 133
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 7:12:57 AM   
tjhkkr

quote:

Now that is way cool!

I have not had a chance to scan everything on that list yet... but this is shaping up like one cool game on an already cool game...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

Post #: 134
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 8:51:47 AM   
Facedrop

That may have just been the best forum post i have ever read

By the way Ashbery, what cooler are you using, because that is quiet a nice overclock you have there?

< Message edited by Facedrop -- 9/3/2011 12:41:20 PM >

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 135
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 9:03:56 AM   
Data

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

quote:

Now that is way cool!

I have not had a chance to scan everything on that list yet... but this is shaping up like one cool game on an already cool game...

Well put, TJ. And you're right, that episode rocked

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 136
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 10:52:42 AM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Facedrop

That may just been the best forum post i have ever read

By the way Ashbery, what cooler are you using, because that is quiet a nice overclock you have there?

This bundle.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-063-OE

(in reply to Facedrop)
Post #: 137
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 12:34:31 PM   
Moltrey

I have a concept for a space creature brewing in my noggin- where should I post a description of it? Here or in a separate thread?
Thanks!
pw

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 138
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 12:42:34 PM   
Facedrop

Nice never had a pre-made bundle before, sounds good.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 139
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 12:52:24 PM   
Data

There were a couple of threads launched by us but we should wait for the official creature contest one so that we have all the proposals in one basket.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 140
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 3:00:05 PM   
ehsumrell1

We are appreciating the updates Erik.....and BTW
Heard about you having to evacuate because of the Hurricane. Hope
you and the family are back home safe and no major damage done
to your homes.

{For those of you in this forum who didn't know, Erik had a rough go
of it during last weekend's storm.}

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

Post #: 141
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 3:24:43 PM   
Moltrey

Alright, will do. Thanks.
pw
quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

There were a couple of threads launched by us but we should wait for the official creature contest one so that we have all the proposals in one basket.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 142
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 6:47:45 PM   
Deomrve

quote:

Faction Differences and Victory Conditions

Victory Value: A new game concept, which creates a value from all the chosen victory conditions. This is active once the faction-specific victory conditions are turned on. Each faction has a set of victory conditions that contribute to this value. The faction with the highest total victory value is considered the winner.

Faction-Specific Victory Condition: Defines what contributes to the faction-specific victory value for each faction. Should be visible to all players unless noted as hidden. Each victory condition is listed with a percentage that it contributes to the faction-specific victory value total. Some are binary, but most should contribute some part of their potential total value depending on how the faction is progressing towards that goal.

Faction-Specific Resource Bonuses: The critical resources for each faction offer different bonuses, rather than all contributing to the same bonus. Each of the colonies of the faction that earns these bonuses uses a quantity of each resource each month in order to maintain the bonus, so without either external or local replenishment, the resources will eventually be consumed and the bonus (or bonuses) will end.

Faction-Specific Events: Support for minor unique storyline events for each faction.

Faction-Specific Rules: Suggestions for new rules to make each faction more unique.

I hope turning off Faction-Specific Victory Condition doesn't turn of the other Faction-Specific stuff. I personally don't like victory point systems. For me it turns the game it one in which you have to play a certain way in order to win and creates an artificial means of victory.

Post #: 143
RE: Latest news... - 9/3/2011 7:22:03 PM   
Data

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

We are appreciating the updates Erik.....and BTW
Heard about you having to evacuate because of the Hurricane. Hope
you and the family are back home safe and no major damage done
to your homes.

{For those of you in this forum who didn't know, Erik had a rough go
of it during last weekend's storm.}

What, Erik also? Man, Elliot and Erik are followed by the elements; you got to appreciate their efforts to move this forward even more. No more "moaaar news, moaaar expansions and patches" from me....yeah, right

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 144
RE: Latest news... - 9/4/2011 12:41:03 AM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

6. Ambassadors start off with the “Linguist” trait which increases their diplomacy bonus

Traits confirmed

Is there a hierarchical system for the leaders? Emperor,Sector governor,etc similar to the recent Totalwar games?
Do leaders have an age,die and have a birth place planet.
Does a heavily multi specied faction have different alien leaders based on population factors?

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 145
RE: Latest news... - 9/4/2011 12:58:29 AM   
Simulation01

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

quote:

6. Ambassadors start off with the “Linguist” trait which increases their diplomacy bonus

Traits confirmed

Is there a hierarchical system for the leaders? Emperor,Sector governor,etc similar to the recent Totalwar games?
Do leaders have an age,die and have a birth place planet.
Does a heavily multi specied faction have different alien leaders based on population factors?

+1

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 146
RE: Latest news... - 9/4/2011 3:23:07 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deomrve

quote:

Faction Differences and Victory Conditions

Victory Value: A new game concept, which creates a value from all the chosen victory conditions. This is active once the faction-specific victory conditions are turned on. Each faction has a set of victory conditions that contribute to this value. The faction with the highest total victory value is considered the winner.

Faction-Specific Victory Condition: Defines what contributes to the faction-specific victory value for each faction. Should be visible to all players unless noted as hidden. Each victory condition is listed with a percentage that it contributes to the faction-specific victory value total. Some are binary, but most should contribute some part of their potential total value depending on how the faction is progressing towards that goal.

Faction-Specific Resource Bonuses: The critical resources for each faction offer different bonuses, rather than all contributing to the same bonus. Each of the colonies of the faction that earns these bonuses uses a quantity of each resource each month in order to maintain the bonus, so without either external or local replenishment, the resources will eventually be consumed and the bonus (or bonuses) will end.

Faction-Specific Events: Support for minor unique storyline events for each faction.

Faction-Specific Rules: Suggestions for new rules to make each faction more unique.

I hope turning off Faction-Specific Victory Condition doesn't turn of the other Faction-Specific stuff. I personally don't like victory point systems. For me it turns the game it one in which you have to play a certain way in order to win and creates an artificial means of victory.

Same here, I want the story events, but want to play those events in a sandbox mode game.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Deomrve)
Post #: 147
RE: Latest news... - 9/4/2011 3:36:49 AM   
adecoy95

will there be ai tweaks or possibly difficulty settings added?

< Message edited by adecoy95 -- 9/4/2011 3:47:12 AM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 148
RE: Latest news... - 9/4/2011 4:29:56 AM   
Erik Rutins

The AI is significantly improved (especially in Diplomacy and Fleet Handling) and there is now a separate Difficulty Slider.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 149
RE: Latest news... - 9/4/2011 4:54:32 AM   
lancer

G'day,

Expansion sounds good.

Wondering if any attention been paid to resource useage or distribution so that you don't end up awash with so many resources that they soon become fairly meaningless (apart from a few obvious ones such as fuel)?

Cheers,
Lancer

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Latest news... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI