Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Kangeroo Code

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Kangeroo Code Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kangeroo Code - 10/19/2002 10:50:21 PM   
Bing

See comments elsewhere in this section regarding code attached to objects, which might cause unexpected and strange behavior. This one is too good to keep to myself - I found it on the Train-Sim message forum. For all the designers in the crowd, who have ever had a real surprise after editing a WAW unit, here goes:

--------------------------------------------------
"A laugh for all the techies out there"

The reuse of some object-oriented code has caused tactical headaches for Australia's armed forces. As virtual reality simulators assume larger roles in helicopter combat training, programmers have gone to great lengths to increase the realism of their scenarios, including detailed landscapes and, in the case of the Northern Territory's Operation Phoenix, herds of kangaroos (since disturbed animals might well give away a helicopter's position). The head of the Defense Science & Technology Organization's Land Operations/Simulation division reportedly instructed developers to model the local marsupials' movements and reactions to helicopters.

Being efficient programmers, they just re-appropriated some code originally used to model infantry detachment reactions under the same stimuli, changed the mapped icon from a soldier to a kangaroo, and increased the figures' speed of movement.

Eager to demonstrate their flying skills for some visiting American pilots, the hotshot Aussies "buzzed" the virtual kangaroos in low flight during a simulation. The kangaroos scattered, as predicted, and the visiting Americans nodded appreciatively... then did a double-take as the kangaroos reappeared from behind a hill and launched a barrage of Stinger missiles at the hapless helicopter. (Apparently the programmers had forgotten to remove that part of the infantry coding.)

The lesson? Objects are defined with certain attributes, and any new object defined in terms of an old one inherits all the attributes. The embarrassed programmers had learned to be careful when reusing object-oriented code, and the Yanks left with a newfound respect for Australian wildlife.

Simulator supervisors report that pilots from that point onward have strictly avoided kangaroos, just as they were meant to.

>From June 15, 1999 Defense Science and Technology Organization
Lecture Series, Melbourne, Australia, and staff reports
------------------------------------------------------

Does this sound familiar?

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website
Post #: 1
- 10/23/2002 6:58:56 PM   
AbsntMndedProf

Then the American programers got the idea for bald eagles armed with sidewinder missiles . . . :D

Eric Maietta

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 2
- 10/27/2002 12:50:00 AM   
Katana

I've heard of 'the right to arm bears', but I thought that was just a joke:D

FABRICATE DIEM, PVNC

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 3
- 10/27/2002 10:25:24 PM   
Bing

In the virtual world of cybernetics, anything is possible. (Isn't that Ron Howard - cybernetics?)

There is an old programmers cliche: "The computer only does what you tell it to do ... but a lot of the time you have no idea what you told it to do."

We learned early on, from Gary Grigsby during the shakedown of his Pacific War, that the law of unintended consequences also applies: Fixing a particular bug or glitch can produce a new and sometimes worse bug. There was once a "MS Office Service Pack" released by the Redmond elves. It fixed some bugs all right. And introduced ~200 new bugs.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Kangeroo Code Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI