Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/14/2012 4:17:31 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: juret

axis minors are perfect for digging. waste of him sacrifise them. A small win for terje and might make it little easier to press on. Axis minors units dont respawn.

Ah, but that is the thing.
1. They do not respawn
2. I doubt he is thinking about digging in again
3. If Rumania flips, #1 means fewer units flip as well
4. Those units must be delt with, and since MP is my main problem now, I am not sure this is a bad idea for him really.
5. The further west he gets, the shorter the front gets = fewer units needed to hold a line.

But, we will see how it turns out in the end.

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 601
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/14/2012 4:26:21 PM   
terje439

Turn 166

Overall
The Axis keep falling back, and the ammount of attacks we are capable of making suffer as a result. This turn we only manage 17 attacks, scoring 3 held, 12 retreat and 2 surrender. Losses are given as;
Axis : 54.000 troops and 134 AFVs
USSR : 69.000 troops and 470 AFVs.
This turn 160.000 workers report to the manpower pool, ending it at 2.415. The ammount of workers seem to drop those turns I liberate cities...weird...

Units
3 TAC and 1 LB are sent to the reserves.
This turn Stalin agreed that the Czech are allowed to fight as well, and we recieve 1 Czech tank brigade, and 1 Czech Rifle Corps this turn. With low morale I doubt they are very useful, but I'll take it.
We form 1 rifle corps this turn, and then order the creation of 3 breakthrough artillery divisions and 6 mechanized brigades.
Our forces record a net growth of 115.000 troops this turn.

Liberation
Tula is liberated this turn.

Units destroyed
The 35th Reserve Rumanian Infantry Division and the 8th Rumanian Infantry Division both surrender this turn.

Partisans
We are up to 29 active units after the Axis chase away 5 this turn. These guys then manage 9 sabotage missions, and are rewarded by 6 supply drops.

Thoughts
Lack of MP is my main problem now, and a count of artiller pieces shows that I have 27 breakthrough artillery divisions on the board now, and 3 more just ordered. I think I now need to switch back to mechanized/tank corps production to increase the mobility of mu army.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 602
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/14/2012 4:30:22 PM   
Baelfiin

be careful not to get overextended, his panzers can sweep back and take some chunks out of you still if you get too spread out 8)

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 603
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/14/2012 4:36:39 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baelfiin

be careful not to get overextended, his panzers can sweep back and take some chunks out of you still if you get too spread out 8)

True. but the area north of Moscow only have low CV panzer divisions (5-8), those I do not fear that much, and IF he choses to try to encircle some of my units I will be really happy, as that forces his panzers into hexes I can attack with deliberate attacks.
No, the biggest fear is an attack in the south, but the German:Rumanian ratio down there seems to drop, so I think he is shipping out some of his German units there, and probably send them west to allow them to recover.

I do TRY to avoid having units too far ahead of the rest, but since I have guards and non-guards mixed in several fronts, there is always a chance that my guards will end up a little ahead of the rest.

Terje

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 604
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/14/2012 6:11:12 PM   
juret

ye time for mech corps now. watch so u dont get to bade command value on stavka.
also time to pimp all your front units with 3 su per corps to maximize firepower per hex now when u start to get arty behind.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 605
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/14/2012 8:03:37 PM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439
This turn Stalin agreed that the Czech are allowed to fight as well, and we recieve 1 Czech tank brigade, and 1 Czech Rifle Corps this turn. With low morale I doubt they are very useful, but I'll take it.

I'd take the Axis player point of view in asking why the Soviet player should get Czech or Polish units when they haven't taken one step into those countries.

Anyways, keep plugging away, Terje. You at least seem to have the initiative now.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 606
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/14/2012 8:25:22 PM   
terje439

quote:

1. ye time for mech corps now.
2. watch so u dont get to bade command value on stavka.
3. also time to pimp all your front units with 3 su per corps to maximize firepower per hex now when u start to get arty behind.

1. Indeed
2. WAY too late
3. Alot of them allready have 3 SUs each, but I have to stop givving them tank regiments, I am losing too many AFVs atm

Terje

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 607
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/14/2012 8:27:16 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

I'd take the Axis player point of view in asking why the Soviet player should get Czech or Polish units when they haven't taken one step into those countries.

Anyways, keep plugging away, Terje. You at least seem to have the initiative now.

Ah, but all they want to do is fight the guys that invaded their country. By that chain of thoughts, there should be no Polish, Czech, French, Norwegian etc pilots in the RAF in -40 and -41 either

Yes, the initiative is mine, and I will keep pushing as hard as I can, but I still doubt it will be hard enough.

Terje

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 608
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/14/2012 8:31:18 PM   
M60A3TTS

That's because they were already there when the Battle of Britain started. I don't think you can say the same for these in-game units. I am supposing that historically they were raised as the territories were occupied by the Red army.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 609
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/14/2012 8:31:37 PM   
terje439

Turn 167

Overall
This turn the Axis do not pull back, so the number of attacks grows again. We manage a total of 27 attacks, 9 held and 18 retreats. The Axis make no attacks. The losses are given at;
Axis : 65.000 troops and 213 AFVs
USSR : 106.000 troops and 542 AFVs.
A total of 169.000 workers aarrive at the manpower pool this turn, so it ends at 8.668.

Units
6 TACs and 1 LB are sent to the reserves this turn.
We form one cavalry corps, and order the construction of 3 motorized brigades and 3 cavalry divisions.
We record a net growth of 68.000 soldiers in our forces this turn.

Partisans
An increase in anti-partisan actions by the Axis, as they force 12 units to retreat this turn. We are still left with 27 on the map, and these guys make 7 sabotague actions this turn. Our pilots make 6 drops.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/14/2012 8:39:03 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 610
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/14/2012 9:28:37 PM   
terje439

Turn 168

Overall
The Axis stands still, unfortunately their digging ability is scary, and alot of our attacks are failures this turn. We score 10 held and 14 retreats for a total of 24 attacks. We make no progress, nor do we knock down any forts around Moscow, I guess we need to flank it. Losses are claimed to be;
Axis : 59.000 troops and 126 AFVs
USSR : 112.000 troops and 614 AFVs

Units
2 LBs and 10 TACs are sent to the reserves this turn.
We form 2 mechanized corps, and order the construction of 2 tank brigades (to join up with the Czech one). We then remove 9 separate tank regiments from our units, as we are losing too many tanks at the moment. We also sped 30 points on varius SUs.
Our forces claim a growth of 65.000 troops this turn.

Pools
With 167.000 workers reporting this turn, the manpower pool ends at 10.206.
The vehicle pool is at 273.000, while the armaments pool is at 974.000 (I never managed to get above 1.000.000).

Partisans
The Axis chase 11 units away, leaving us with 27 at the end of the turn. Our guys perform 14 sabotague actions this turn, and are rewarded by 10 supply drops.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 611
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/14/2012 11:32:37 PM   
randallw

Can you give a breakdown of how many field units you have now? ( Rifle corps/div, tank corps/brigades, mech corps/brigades, etc ).  There comes a point when the Soviet player may have too many units, and production/manpower can't keep them all at full strength; replacements may end up at lower quality units, being a waste.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 612
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/15/2012 12:57:02 AM   
juret

whut u gonna replace tank regs with ?

mortar su? hows your tank/spguns pools like now?

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 613
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/15/2012 1:08:23 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw

1. Can you give a breakdown of how many field units you have now? ( Rifle corps/div, tank corps/brigades, mech corps/brigades, etc ). 
2. There comes a point when the Soviet player may have too many units, and production/manpower can't keep them all at full strength; replacements may end up at lower quality units, being a waste.

1. Will do
2. I haven't been at full strength since mid -42

Terje

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 614
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/15/2012 1:09:10 AM   
terje439

quote:

1. whut u gonna replace tank regs with ? mortar su?
2. hows your tank/spguns pools like now?

1. Sapper, TD, AT mostly.
2. Will take a screenie

Terje

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 615
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/15/2012 1:51:37 AM   
terje439

Turn 169

Overall
The Axis fall back a few hexes north of Moscow this turn, so we are unable to make any attacks in that sector. All in all we manage a mere 19 attacks this turn, for a result of 6 held and 13 retreats. My guys are running out of steam and the Axis defensive CV is hiiiigh.
Losses are reported as;
Axis : 57.000 troops and 171 AFVs
USSR : 100.000 troops and 333 AFVs
The manpower pool ends at 6.979 after recieving 169.000 workers this turn.

Units
2 RCs, 3 LBs, 10 TACs are sent to the reserves this turn as their morale drops below 35.
We form one cavalry corps and 1 mechanized corps this turn before spending most of the remaining points on assigning SUs to various corps.
Our forces clai ma net growth of 66.000 soldiers this turn.

Unit count
Tanks : 22 corps, 4 brigades
Mechanized : 27 corps
Infantry : 172 corps, 21 divisions, 2 brigades, 4 naval brigades
Airborne : 3 divisions, 1 brigade
Cavalry : 13 corps, 3 divisions
Artillery : 30 breakthrough artillery divisions, 3 heavy gun artiller divisions
AT : 2 AT brigades
AA : 2 AA Brigades
Mountain : 10 divisions
Engineers : 1 assault engineer
Construction : 4 NKPS
Mortar : 23 mortar brigades
Rocket : 10 rocket launcher divisions
Also add a myriad of various SUs

Partisans
The Axis chase 13 units away this turn, leaving us with 21 active. They make 6 sabotague missions, and they recieve 7 supply drops.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 616
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/15/2012 2:16:31 AM   
Flaviusx

Stop building units. You've got way too many for your replacement capacity and I especially doubt you've got the trucks to support that many mobile corps. 27 mech corps alone is way overkill, those things are serious truck hogs. That's more than double the amount of mech corps the Sovs ever fielded.

You should be using APs now for command and control and possibly even HQ buildups, although the latter may exacerbate your truck shortage.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 617
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/15/2012 2:21:58 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Stop building units. You've got way too many for your replacement capacity and I especially doubt you've got the trucks to support that many mobile corps. 27 mech corps alone is way overkill, those things are serious truck hogs. That's more than double the amount of mech corps the Sovs ever fielded.

You should be using APs now for command and control and possibly even HQ buildups, although the latter may exacerbate your truck shortage.

My vehicle pool is actually growing steadily, but I guess that might have to do with the fact that I am way to static.
Hmm guess I'll have to rely on SUs now then to increase my CV :(

Terje

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 618
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/15/2012 2:28:06 AM   
Flaviusx

Once your forward progression speeds up you will be amazed at the number of vehicle breakdowns, both truck and afvs. It's very easy to lose 1k+ AFVs/turn with a historical Red Army. I think yours could lose even more per turn.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 619
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/15/2012 2:34:22 AM   
terje439

quote:

Once your forward progression speeds up you will be amazed at the number of vehicle breakdowns, both truck and afvs. It's very easy to lose 1k+ AFVs/turn with a historical Red Army. I think yours could lose even more per turn.

Oki

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 620
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/15/2012 5:39:21 AM   
terje439

Turn 170

Overall
The Axis remain, apart from a minor withdrawal just south of Voronezh, where they leave some Hungarians behind to slow me down. This time we act like a bulldozer and force them back (not enough mobile troops to encircle them). We launch a total of 27 attacks for 9 held, 15 retreats and 3 routs. The Axis make no attacks, something I think is a mistake as there are a few places where he can attack with an unmodified CV ratio of 3-4 : 1. Losses are given as;
Axis : 39.000 troops and 118 AFVs
USSR : 107.000 troops and 479 AFVs.
Due to low CV values, some of my corps' are moved behind the front for some rest to increase their fighting ability again.
165.000 workers arrive at the manpower pool this turn, ending it at 8.514.
At the end of the turn I decide to check which of my ground units have the highest xp-levels. I did not see the result coming....

Units
6 TACs and 2 LBs go to the reserves this turn.
We form a tank corps (since I allready had the brigades there), then we spend some points on SUs.
Our forces claim a net growth of 63.000 troops this turn.

Partisans
The Axis chase away 6 units, leaving us with 20 active partisan units on the map. Our guys manage 9 sabotague missions, and are rewarded with 11 supply drops.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 621
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/15/2012 11:32:04 AM   
M60A3TTS

From that last screenie it seems pretty clear that you currently don't have an issue with trucks because these mech and tank corps are well below max TO&E. The ones displayed seem to average about 50%.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 622
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/15/2012 11:51:28 AM   
juret

haha i thought your afv losses where to high and the pools where sinking fast.

u still have
6160 t-34/42
850 new shermans
800 new t-34s

1k heawy IS-2 and almost 7000 su-76M.

thats like 16000 afv poool and make 560 afv of important kinds each turn.

Press on!

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 623
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/15/2012 11:53:09 AM   
juret

quote:

he got 280k motorpool. thats to low u think?

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 624
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/15/2012 1:05:55 PM   
Blubel

I would think the point is that regardless of the amount of trucks he has now, he will lose huge amounts of trucks when it gets moving fast due to his amount of tank / mech corps. Then again, there are only about 40 movement turns left,so he can lose 2000 trucks in each one...

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 625
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/15/2012 2:13:40 PM   
Flaviusx

quote:

quote:

he got 280k motorpool. thats to low u think?

Take a look at his TOEs. He's severely understrength. If all those units were topped off and actually moving around, he'd be hurting for trucks.

I suspect his rifle corps are also well below strength on average. There comes a point in the game where you simply have to stop building stuff if you want to keep units anywhere near their maximum strength and he's well past that. I'd rather have 12 full strength mech corps than 27 mech corps at 50% TOE.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 626
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/15/2012 2:17:08 PM   
Flaviusx

quote:

haha i thought your afv losses where to high and the pools where sinking fast.

u still have
6160 t-34/42
850 new shermans
800 new t-34s

1k heawy IS-2 and almost 7000 su-76M.

thats like 16000 afv poool and make 560 afv of important kinds each turn.

Press on!

He needs around 11,000 t 34s (or other medium tanks) to top off all his mobile corps. That's assuming none of them have tank regiments attached.

The Su76 numbers are meaningless. It's the medium tanks that matter.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 1/15/2012 2:42:05 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 627
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/15/2012 2:23:38 PM   
Flaviusx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blubel

I would think the point is that regardless of the amount of trucks he has now, he will lose huge amounts of trucks when it gets moving fast due to his amount of tank / mech corps. Then again, there are only about 40 movement turns left,so he can lose 2000 trucks in each one...

A single mech corps needs around 4000 trucks. He needs over 100k trucks just to keep his mech units up to strength. This of course doesn't include the 22 tank corps or the rest of the Red Army.

So, yeah.

The truck pool is an illusion. It's as high as it is because his unit strength is so low.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Blubel)
Post #: 628
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/15/2012 5:43:51 PM   
Q-Ball

172 Rifle Corps seems like overkill there, too. There are about 100 hexes of frontage straight-line, so max 130-ish.

IMO, Corps should never man the front-lines, it's way more efficient to use Rifle Divisions. You should have 100-ish Rifle Divisions still, but much Fewer Corps. They are offensive formations.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 629
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/15/2012 5:52:58 PM   
terje439

Will reply to you all in one post

Flaviusx, well, but then again there is one major difference between this game and most other played to the finnish I believe, in that I am so far behind in time and space that I need firepower, and I need mobility. If I run out of trucks at the Polish border, I will claim a morale victory at least, but I heed your advice, and no more units are built.

M60A3TTS, that is the result of a few turns on the front and a few held results.

Juret, true, but the pools have dropped ALOT in not that many turns, I needed to adress that issue, and as such, removing my independent tank companies seemed a good idea. I keptmy heavy ones ofc.

Blubel that is only a concern IF I can get things moving again

Q-Ball, sorry, but never again will I allow a division to be responsible for a sector of the front. They simply are not up to the task, and I have no illusion of an attack being made against it if I left a division at the front. The Axis would jump at the oppertunity.

Terje

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/15/2012 5:59:49 PM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI