Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A question to those able to run large carrier battles without a lock-up

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> A question to those able to run large carrier battles without a lock-up Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A question to those able to run large carrier battles w... - 10/29/2002 12:32:38 AM   
Basement Command

Some of us can not engage in decisive carrier battles because the game locks-up while these battles are being resolved. Other, smaller battles seem to run fine. We're looking for a trend regarding hardware (video cards etc...) and software (for example operating systems) to help identify the cause of game lock-ups during the IJN attack phases of large carrier battles. So far, looking from the perspective of identifying common aspects of systems that do lock-up has not identified any clear trend. For those of us who HAVE NOT experienced these lock-ups while large IJN air groups are attacking Allied Task Forces, I have a question... What kind of system are you running? What OS, Processor, Video and sound cards? How Much RAM, etc... maybe if we can't identify what percipitates these lock-ups, we can start to get an idea of what works particularly well. Give a hand to those of us who can not really use this game to its potential and post your answers here. Thanks.

The only skills I have the patience to learn are those that have no practical application in real life.
Post #: 1
- 10/29/2002 12:50:18 AM   
thantis

I have noticed a couple (meaning exactly two) lock-ups during carrier engagements - and it occurred when I tried to exit out of the combat animations.

When I hit the exit button at the top, the game froze. It happened every single time, until I went back and just let it run.
This was the Clash of the Titans scenario as well.

I've got a P4 1.8G, 80Gig HD, 64M Video card (not sure which one, will check tonight).

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon.....

(in reply to Basement Command)
Post #: 2
- 10/29/2002 1:19:54 AM   
Toro

I've had one, just this past weekend. Heck of a battle. Had to be hundreds and hundreds of a/c flying that turn (one hex had 120 CAP alone).

Running:
XP, 1.7 ghz P4, 384 RAM. I'll update this later tonight with video card info.

Post #: 3
- 10/29/2002 1:38:50 AM   
XPav

I have not yet experienced one lockup in UV.

Athlon 1600, 512MB RAM, 40 gig HD (less than 1 gig free), Gf4 Ti4200 video card.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Post #: 4
Lock Up's - 10/29/2002 3:03:07 AM   
mogami

Greetings, On my old system I never had a carrier battle lock up but I once in a while had game lock up or drop to desk top after playing many hours (and alt-tabing back and forth zipping and un zipping PBEM files and remaining on line while making turns.)

Now I usally have the game lockup once or twice a day but I am running on a differant machine. (I think the voodoo video card is the problem, since the CPU is a 800mhtz versus the 400 I used to play on (but I had a better video card.) Also I used to use win 98 this machine has win ME. All that said I have not ever!!!! had a lock up while the turn was being processed only when I was making my orders. While watching replays of turns I have locked up game on the voodoo machine by clicking done during combat (I never do this during the air attack part of carrier battles though only during land combat or the air to air.) The old machine never had a problem (I think it was a Diamond (something) video card.)Hope this helps

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

Post #: 5
- 10/29/2002 5:40:05 AM   
erict

XP Pro SP1 & Uncommon Valor patched to 1.4

I've experienced lockups only during carrier engagements. I've also experienced this on two different computers with XP Pro. It always happens during carrier battles with animation on or off. I save very often...so the only way I can get around this lockup is if I avoid "THE" carrier battle. Kind of annoying....

Same lockups during similar situation on different systems using XP Pro:

AMD XP 1700+
ASUS A7V266E
512mb RAM
GF3 Ti200 (using latest WMD drivers 30.87)
Audigy
120GB HD

&

PII 350
old ABIT mobo
256mb RAM
old Matrox card
SB X-gamer
20 gb HD

Both DirectX 8.1

One thing I've noticed. The lockup always occurs when the JAPs are counterattacking during the same turn. Usually I cream the JAP carriers, and when the Jap strike wave comes in, it locks up before the battle report (remember this is with or without battle animation). I also noticed that the direction the attack wave is coming in from is completely wrong (you'd expect it to come from their carriers). Instead of coming from the direction of the Jap carriers it comes from a group of ships that don't have any carriers......

Always with BIG engagements, 4 US vs. 3 or 4 Jap carriers.

Post #: 6
- 10/29/2002 6:59:12 AM   
popejoy1

Hi!

I had this problem with a lock-up when two large CV groups swapped airstrikes.

I sent a save game to Matrix, and they were able to duplicate the problem, so I'd say it was a bug not necessarily related to my configuration.

I'm hoping they're going to fix it in the next release.

Hope this helps... :)

Paul

Post #: 7
no lockups - 10/29/2002 7:33:55 AM   
bilbow

In hundreds of hours of play, both vs the AI and PBEM I have never had a lock-up or a crash to desktop. I wish I could say that about most other games!

I have v1.4, the system is a P4 1.8ghz with 256M memory, XP Home with SP1 and an Nvidia GF2 MX400 with 64 MB

Post #: 8
- 10/29/2002 8:54:57 AM   
erict

I can play for 12 hours straight no problem, but if there is a huge carrier battle it will crash. Never fails to crash.

Otherwise this game is very stable on my system.

Post #: 9
- 10/29/2002 10:34:18 AM   
Feinder

I've never had a lock-up

CPU : Athlon 1800XP
Ram : 512meg DDR
Video-card : 128meg Gf4ti 4400
Sound-card : Basic (SoundBlaster Pro or whatever)
Other : DirectX 8.1

-F-

Post #: 10
- 10/29/2002 1:22:31 PM   
erict

OK all yo geezers that say you've never had a lockup.

Have you ever had a major carrier engagement???

4 or more US vs. 3 or more Jap carriers??

Post #: 11
No lockups - 10/29/2002 2:05:59 PM   
Luskan

New PC p4 1.4, Nvidia GF2 MX400 with 64 MB, 256mb RAM,

Old pc, p3 800mghz, Riva tnt2 riva with 32mb, 128mb ram,

both on windows 2000.

With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?

Post #: 12
- 10/29/2002 9:14:47 PM   
Feinder

"OK all yo geezers that say you've never had a lockup.
Have you ever had a major carrier engagement???
4 or more US vs. 3 or more Jap carriers??"

Well erict,

I really wouldn't be replying to this thread unless I had (been engaged in a major carrier battle, specifically 4 on 4).

:^)

I don't really expect to have problems with any game on my box, and I like it that way.

For what it's worth, if I had to make a wild-***-guess about why folks might get lock-ups, the most likely culprit is going to be memory leaks, and thus a shortage of RAM.

Not to say that 256meg or more shouldn't be enough (or whatever it says on the box). But MOST software is riddled with subtle memory leaks. I'm not criticizing Matrix, 2by3 or anyone. It doesn't matter how good a developer you are, these buggers bite everyone.

A memory leak is where you have several processes going on at once in the program, and you no longer need some of the processes, but you don't actually terminate the process(es); or maybe you terminate it later than you should. What happens is that these extra processes are chewing up your available memory, and dragging the important ones that are actually doing things that you need. For example (and I'm just "for exampling" here!)

Carrier battle goes like this:

Spotting.
Lauch.
Intercept.
Air-to-Air.
Damage.
Air-to-Surface.
Damage.
Couterstrike etc...

Let's say for simplicity that each of those events is separate program. When everything is happy, all of the programs play well together, and you can play out a large carrier battle just fine.

But now lets say you forget to actually TERMINATE the spotting rountine. You've set the flag that the TF has been spotted, and you move on to calling the program that rolls against your leadership to see if you launch. But even tho you have the RESULT from the spotting program, you don't actually terminate the thing, so it still remains in memory, acting as a drag on resources. This is the memory leak. You've "leaking memory" because you don't actually have available all that could have, because you're dragging those unecessary resources. The worst case of a memory leak is where you run out memory (because you're at capacity with the processes that you need -and- those that you don't). At this point (depending on how things are coded), you try to hit some extra space on your hard-drive (called the cache), to relieve the burden on the RAM. When you run out of RAM and cache, you're out of luck. "Unpredictable Results May Occur", in other words, you're screwed.

Sorry for the long explanation. But simple answer is ALOT of programs (in fact, MOST) programs are riddled with memory leaks, minor as they may be. I know it sounds rather cliche' to blame lock-ups on them, but the fact is, that's the simplest explanation. However, the simplest isn't necessarily the easiest to fix. Folks with more RAM are going to be less affected by memory leaks, because they have a larger well to draw from in the first place.

(* shrug *)

Then again. I could be way wrong.

-F-

Post #: 13
reboot - 10/30/2002 12:19:10 AM   
cyberwop

I'll lock up on the first turn I play each day if I don't reboot before I launch the program. Sometimes it will lock up one time even after a fresh boot, but never more than once. Then I can play for hours no problem.

I got 1.2 ath., 512 ram [133], Ge3 128mb ti, 40 gig 7200rpm HD [defraged, windows mem locked to 512 mb], win 98 se.

Check your system resources, see how much you have free. If you bleed out memory up will lock. I keep 94 to 98% free.

Good luck

Live like a King and Die like a man.

Post #: 14
- 10/30/2002 3:51:21 AM   
erict

4 US vs. 3- or 4 Jap carriers

Carrier battle goes like this:

Spotting.
Lauch.
Intercept.
Air-to-Air.
Damage.
Air-to-Surface.
Damage.

Couterstrike
Spotting.
Lauch.
Intercept. <<<<------------ At this phase during the Japanese counterattack it always locks up. Before the battle report pops up. =(
Air-to-Air.
Damage.
Air-to-Surface.
Damage.

Post #: 15
- 10/30/2002 4:34:01 AM   
XPav

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Feinder
[B]
A memory leak is where you have several processes going on at once in the program, and you no longer need some of the processes, but you don't actually terminate the process(es); or maybe you terminate it later than you should. What happens is that these extra processes are chewing up your available memory, and dragging the important ones that are actually doing things that you need.
[/QUOTE]
Um. Err. Sorry, no. I hate to be a mean bastard here, but that's not the primary cause of memory leaks by any stretch.

Primary cause of memory leaks:

Writing programs in C, and mismatching malloc() and free().
You can do it in C++ too, and mismatch new and delete, with the additional bonus that your destructors don't get called.

[URL=http://searchwin2000.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid1_gci213633,00.html]Here's a decent definition[/URL]

[QUOTE]
Then again. I could be way wrong.
[/QUOTE]

:D Memory leaks are common in many applications, yes. No doubts there. However, they are very frequently misunderstood and blamed for every single slow down that happens.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Post #: 16
- 10/30/2002 5:28:09 AM   
Feinder

I don't think you're a mean bastard.

I'm quite sure that we're both very knowledgable about this sort of thing.

I was simply trying to put a (broad) defination of a memory leak into a frame that (most) everyone can understand.

Regards,
-F-

Post #: 17
- 10/30/2002 9:25:41 AM   
Ross Moorhouse

The test team have been looking into this and none of them or myslfl have had a lock during Carrier battles.

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

Post #: 18
- 10/30/2002 9:26:31 AM   
Sabre21

Hey Feinder

"OK all yo geezers that say you've never had a lockup...."

I resemble that remark:)

Besides that though, no I have never had a lock up and I have had huge carrier battles with hundreds of aircraft involved not to mention land based.

My largest was where as the Jap I was making my first major push down towards Luganville after securing PM. I had 8-9 carriers in all with several other task forces and was attacked by a very aggresive AI that sent 4 US carriers and a couple hundred land based air. I thought I had cleaned out that darn pesky airfield, darn Allies scraped together everything that had a set of wings it seemed. What a huge series of air and sea battles that ensued..it was great.

I have a p4 1.7 Ghz with 512 Mb ram and use an ati 9000 pro with 128 Mb.

Sabre21

Post #: 19
- 10/31/2002 5:28:24 AM   
Feinder

Sabre...

"Old Geezers". I was quoting erict.

At 31, I'm not sure if I resemble it or not, but sometimes it sure feels that way!

Actually, wouldn't this thread normally be in the Tech Support/Solutions forum or something?

-F-

Post #: 20
- 11/1/2002 8:20:33 PM   
Ross Moorhouse

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Feinder
[B]Sabre...

"Old Geezers". I was quoting erict.

At 31, I'm not sure if I resemble it or not, but sometimes it sure feels that way!

Actually, wouldn't this thread normally be in the Tech Support/Solutions forum or something?

-F- [/B][/QUOTE]

Thats correct but I have allowed it to be here for the time being.

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

Post #: 21
Todays carrier battle - 11/3/2002 3:19:44 AM   
mogami

Greetings, I am I admit running ver 1.48 but whatever problem exists in other versions did not effect this battle.

5xIJN CV versus 4xUSN CV

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/21/42

Air attack on TF, near Port Moresby at 10,40

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 20

no losses

Japanese Ships
DD Nenohi
AP Kinryu Maru
AP Cuba Maru

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
1 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
4 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 14,42

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 65

Allied aircraft
SBD Dauntless x 36
TBD Devastator x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 1 destroyed
A6M2 Zero x 6 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 14 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 24 damaged
TBD Devastator x 18 destroyed
TBD Devastator x 2 damaged

PO2 A.Oyama of EII-1 Daitai is credited with kill number 4

LCDR J. Taylor of VT-5 bails out and is CAPTURED

Japanese Ships
CV Zuikaku
CVL Shoho, Torpedo hits 1
DD Wakaba
CV Shokaku

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 58

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 26
SBD Dauntless x 70
TBD Devastator x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 4 destroyed
A6M2 Zero x 10 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 8 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat x 5 damaged
SBD Dauntless x 18 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 13 damaged
TBD Devastator x 4 destroyed
TBD Devastator x 3 damaged

PO2 A.Oyama of EII-1 Daitai is credited with kill number 5

LCDR R. Dixon of VS-2 is KILLED

Japanese Ships
CVL Shoho, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CV Zuikaku, Bomb hits 4, on fire
DD Nagatsuki
DD Suzukaze
CA Furutaka
CV Shokaku, Torpedo hits 1
CA Aoba

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 60

Allied aircraft
TBD Devastator x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 1 destroyed
A6M2 Zero x 4 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
TBD Devastator x 15 destroyed
TBD Devastator x 2 damaged

WO N.Oda of EII-1 Daitai is credited with kill number 4

LCDR J. Waldron of VT-8 is KILLED

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 52

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 3
SBD Dauntless x 34
TBD Devastator x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 1 destroyed
A6M2 Zero x 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 1 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 8 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 19 damaged
TBD Devastator x 4 destroyed
TBD Devastator x 10 damaged

CPO F.Sugiyama of AII-1 Daitai is credited with kill number 2

LT K. Notomi of EIII-1 Daitai is KILLED

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CV Soryu

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 3

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress x 1 destroyed
B-17E Fortress x 2 damaged

MAJ N.Daniels of 30th BS bails out WOUNDED and is RESCUED

Japanese Ships
AP Kyushu Maru

Attacking Level Bombers:
2 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet

Air attack on TF at 12,45

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 31
D3A Val x 64
B5N Kate x 45

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 23
F4F-4 Wildcat x 75

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 12 destroyed
A6M2 Zero x 1 damaged
D3A Val x 27 destroyed
D3A Val x 18 damaged
B5N Kate x 31 destroyed
B5N Kate x 28 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat x 1 destroyed
F4F-3 Wildcat x 2 damaged
F4F-4 Wildcat x 5 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat x 8 damaged

LTJG L. Knox of VF-42 is credited with kill number 2

LT I. Kitajima of AII-3 Daitai is KILLED

Allied Ships
CV Enterprise, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CV Hornet, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 3, on fire
CA Salt Lake City
CL Nashville

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9
D3A Val x 22
B5N Kate x 23

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 11
F4F-4 Wildcat x 34

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 4 destroyed
D3A Val x 8 destroyed
D3A Val x 4 damaged
B5N Kate x 8 destroyed
B5N Kate x 20 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 6 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat x 1 damaged

PO2 V.Sakai of EII-1 Daitai is credited with kill number 2

Allied Ships
CV Hornet, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
DD Cummings
CV Enterprise, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CA Portland

Japanese aircraft
B5N Kate x 24

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 22
F4F-4 Wildcat x 66

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N Kate x 17 destroyed
B5N Kate x 9 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 1 damaged

LTJG P.Wagner of VF-3 is credited with kill number 3

LT T. Ichihara of EI-3 Daitai is KILLED

Allied Ships
CV Yorktown
CV Lexington
DD Dale

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 7
B5N Kate x 10

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 22
F4F-4 Wildcat x 66

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 6 destroyed
B5N Kate x 8 destroyed
B5N Kate x 4 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 2 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat x 8 damaged

LTJG P.Wagner of VF-3 is credited with kill number 4

LT M. Nakamoto of EIII-3 Daitai is KILLED

Allied Ships
CV Yorktown
CV Lexington

Allied aircraft
Hudson x 12
B-25D Mitchell x 29
B-26B Marauder x 12

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson x 1 damaged
B-26B Marauder x 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
MSW Fumi Maru #2
DD Nenohi
AP Kinryu Maru
AP Gosei Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AP Hakonesan Maru
AP Cuba Maru
AP Hakuyo Maru
AP Hokuhi Maru, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AP Heito Maru
DD Hatsukaze
DD Kazegumo

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 136
Guns lost 1

Attacking Level Bombers:
1 x Hudson at 5000 feet
4 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet
4 x Hudson at 5000 feet
4 x B-25D Mitchell at 3000 feet
3 x B-25D Mitchell at 4000 feet
4 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet
4 x B-25D Mitchell at 4000 feet
1 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet
4 x Hudson at 5000 feet
3 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet
1 x B-25D Mitchell at 3000 feet
1 x B-25D Mitchell at 3000 feet
3 x Hudson at 5000 feet

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 16

no losses

Japanese Ships
AP Hakozaki Maru
DD Kazegumo
DD Hatsukaze
AP Hakonesan Maru
AP Kinryu Maru

Attacking Level Bombers:
4 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet

Day Time Surface Combat, near Port Moresby at 10,40

Japanese Ships
DD Kazegumo, Shell hits 28, and is sunk
DD Hatsukaze, Shell hits 38, and is sunk
DD Nenohi, Shell hits 19, and is sunk
MSW Fumi Maru #2, Shell hits 5, and is sunk
AP Brazil Maru
AP Cuba Maru
AP Gosei Maru, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AP Hakonesan Maru
AP Hakozaki Maru
AP Hakuyo Maru
AP Heito Maru
AP Hinko Maru
AP Hokuhi Maru, and is sunk
AP Kinryu Maru, Shell hits 1
AP Yamafuku Maru

Allied Ships
CA Northampton, Shell hits 1
CA Minneapolis, Shell hits 2
CA Australia, Shell hits 1
CL Hobart, Shell hits 2
DD Grayson, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Mustin
DD Walke
DD Smith, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Dewey
DD MacDonough, Shell hits 2
DD Worden
DD Alwin

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 87

Day Time Surface Combat, near Port Moresby at 10,40

Japanese Ships
DD Umikaze, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Kamikaze
APD 2, Shell hits 1, on fire
MSW W20, Shell hits 1, on fire
AP Akibasan Maru
AP China Maru
AP Kenshin Maru
AP Kyushu Maru
AP Otori Maru
AP Taimei Maru

Allied Ships
CA Northampton
CA Minneapolis
CA Australia
CL Hobart
DD Grayson, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Mustin
DD Walke, Shell hits 1
DD Smith, on fire
DD Dewey
DD MacDonough
DD Worden
DD Alwin

Ground combat at Port Moresby

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 7539 troops, 78 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 8932 troops, 68 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 58

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 27

So hopefully whatever problems there were will go away after the public release of next patch

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

Post #: 22
- 11/5/2002 3:17:49 PM   
jive1

I have yet to get a lock up - but I notice that the reports get slower and slower during large surface battles. I am
eventually forced to end the animations.

So drink to the Black Cat PBY, damnedest old plane in all God's sky,
BB-gun for'd and a slingshot aft, Hundred twenty knots when in a forced draft.

Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> A question to those able to run large carrier battles without a lock-up Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI