Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 2:56:56 PM   
Klydon

Germany has to be looking forward to when those Spitfires show up. Ouch. Somehow, that ME109E just doesn't seem to be the equalizer. Hehe.

It appears that the Nationalists are in even deeper doo-doo now with neither attack disorganizing Japanese units and with their HQ finally toast.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 541
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 3:39:13 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Now, you did say that it would probably take two turns to take Wavell out of Egypt. Can you tell me why this is going to take that long? Is it, because of the fact that the two TRS the CW has now, are in UK and the Queens are around India? If so, this then means that Wavell hasn't go another option than to stay put and defend Egypt, if the CW doesn't want to sail through the Med (and the CW can't afford to lose more TRS, so he shouldn't take that risk).
If this is so, than I would suggest the following:
- use the Queens to get the Sydney MIL into Egypt.
- set up the Spanish TRS in Rio Muni (Africa) after the German DoW (far out of the way of any possible attacks on it), get it in South Africa to prepare for the transportation of the South African FTR to Egypt or Morocco. Which area is depending on how Wavell is holding out in Egypt this turn. Also: put the Italians in East Africa out of supply by moving some cruisers into both the Azanian and Red Sea (one cruiser does the job...).

One thing is also something you have to consider. You probably are going to have to take land impulses after the Germans attack Spain (combined impulses aren't enough). This means that reinforcing area's is going to be hampered by this. You might therefore choose to align Spain with France. However, that means you cannot use the Spanish TRS from transporting CW units, since Spain than doesn't cooperate with the CW... I don't know what my choice is going to be in this situation... Anyone else who's got an opinion about this?

Actually, at the moment, all 3 CW transports are in Casablanca (2 had to abort there, and the Liner moved the S. African MIL there last turn). Unfortunately, during the first Allied impulse, the CW couldn't take a Naval action, but had to take a Combined instead. The reason for this is that there was just too much to do:

1. The North Sea Fleet had to be reinstated properly (they RTB last turn because they were in too low a Section Box)
2. The Cape St. Vincent fleet had to be put back in place (they were in the 2 Box at the end of last turn)
3. Gort and the RSA MIL need to be moved from Casablanca closer to Spanish Morocco, or risk losing it to the Italians

There are a number of other things I had planned, but they simply will have to wait. This includes:

1. Transporting the Canadian MIL to a more useful spot
2. Transporting the MOT from the UK to a more useful spot
3. Sending a TRS toward Wavell
4. Blockading the Azanian Sea
5. Blockading the Red Sea
6. Returning to the E. Med in some kind of force

However, the Canadian MIL can wait for a later impulse (or even for the Canadian TRS to be completed), there isn't much damage that can be done in East Africa by the Italians at the moment, Egypt isn't quite on the verge of a serious threat yet, and it is imperative that Spanish Sahara not fall to the Italians quickly or easily.

Therefore, I do like the idea of aligning Spain to France . . . but I'd like to hear more opinions on the matter before I actually do that (next Axis impulse). I've decided to finish the Allied impulse before posting images of where each nation has units.

One option, of course, is to set up a Spanish unit in Tangier, probably the INF Division, but that will deplete the border in the Pyranees (not much, but every unit counts).

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 12/19/2011 3:42:55 PM >

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 542
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 3:59:38 PM   
Centuur

I don't know where Gort is now, so I can't really conclude that a combined action for the CW was absolutely necessary. Personally, I wouldn't want to take a combined action with the CW at all. I need to make sure my navy and army will move all I can. I'm a little curious about the position of the forces in Morocco/Spain and East Africa by now. Also, I would like to see the forces the CW in the UK. I only know of Wavell and the TERR in Egypt.

By the way: did the French take a naval action to get the Fleet (and transport a land unit) out of Nice in the allied impulse? The French should have left Brest also, if possible.

Peter

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 543
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 4:28:42 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

I don't know where Gort is now, so I can't really conclude that a combined action for the CW was absolutely necessary. Personally, I wouldn't want to take a combined action with the CW at all. I need to make sure my navy and army will move all I can. I'm a little curious about the position of the forces in Morocco/Spain and East Africa by now. Also, I would like to see the forces the CW in the UK. I only know of Wavell and the TERR in Egypt.

By the way: did the French take a naval action to get the Fleet (and transport a land unit) out of Nice in the allied impulse? The French should have left Brest also, if possible.

Gort was on one of the TRS that aborted to Casablanca. To be in good position to block the Italians, he needs to get to Rabat. Once there, he can then reinforce Tangier. (I'll show all of this when I post images of where units are).

The French SUBs in Brest moved out of it last turn, and they took a Combined impulse this turn to start things off in order to clear Nice of its Navy and the CAV. They are now in Cape St. Vincent, on the way to Senegal (or Morocco or Spain). That's also why I needed to get the fleet set in Cape St. Vincent, because the Italian SUBs are now in Bordeaux, and could potentially be a threat to not only the Convoys, but to the French evacuation effort.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 544
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 4:30:37 PM   
brian brian

re: Japanese tanks - they do make an excellent defense of an island. Like, say Truk, with that extra -2 even the USMC ARM division can't overcome. But World in Flames is such a great game in that it frequently shows you things from history. If the Japanese put an ARM unit on Truk, the game Allies might just simply bypass it, just as the real Allies did, who never took Truk during the war. The hex lost much of it's value to the advancing Allies in the game with the introduction of the naval supply units. The new map adds a few more airbase hexes, but has the same amount of minor ports. There are several new clear beach hexes in Japan though...

In China, I think the Japanese are already past much of the clear terrain, except for the river line around Si-An. A single Mech division can get you on to the Blitz table for a lot cheaper. The Japanese have a looming green giant in their rear-view mirror now.... War Appropriations is coming by the end of 1940 and that should be devastating, if the CW doesn't give Europe, the Middle East and Russia away first.

In both China and the Pacific, I think a good Japanese tactic in the middle part of the game is the counter-attack. I'm looking forward to game where I have the new amphibious Japanese mech division from the Factories in Flames kit, perhaps the most fantasy unit of them all, but should be a fun one. In China, a few mechanized units around might make it hard for Mao to advance onto the north China plain.

In Siberia, during a 1941 Barbarossa Uncle Joe should just give the place up, or make the Japanese march to a few of the cities held by a single GARRison unit. Defending somewhere the Japanese could use tanks would be a big over commitment considering the dire peril they face in Europe. The coast around Vladivostok can't be held at all, and the inland resources can be far too easily cut off from communication. The Mongolian Cavalry can cover Chita, though it is also amusing when it sets up villages in the middle of the Pripyet Marshes, fed by an occasional night sortie of the TB-3s. Once it snows, they ride...

In this game it is unfortunate that it is so easy for the Axis to do whatever it wants at sea. The CW outnumbers the Axis as a whole 2:1 in Battleships, and the Italians alone over 3:1. It is a complicated dance to maneuver the Royal Army and Navy at the same time. An important tactic to do that is to send a good force to the 3 or 4 box, and then leave it at sea at the end of the turn to have a force in being at sea regardless of who goes first (DSB in play). The Royal Navy needs to CONTROL the seas and until the Axis invest in lots of new NAV bombers, this shouldn't be too difficult. Priority One should be hunting down the Italian TRS. A decent force based in Alexandria would be a huge help. The CV Eagle carrying the long-range Nimrod fighters, a pair of BBs and some London class cruisers should make Italian designs on the Levant rather complicated to execute. With the Allies having oodles of American BPs to spend, their shipyards can keep the British Repair Pool empty and the Italian one full.

Aligning Spain to France is an interesting and difficult decision. I would probably not do that, so the Spanish ground forces can hold coastal hexes such as Bilbao and Barcelona under the cover of Royal Navy guns. Without Defensive Shore Bombardment in play I might put Gamelin in charge, yes. And the CW could use the extra lift from the Spanish navy. At this point, if the French can get a unit out of Nice perhaps it would be better to take it to Syria via unloading in the Red Sea so the TRS can safely escape the Med. If the RN can re-assert itself in the East Med. Or perhaps Nice can help Marseilles be a thorn in the Axis side for a few more impulses backed up by French shore bombardment with the remains of the French navy. But the French TRS needs to escape for the future.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 545
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 5:33:46 PM   
Red Prince

I really don't know how to respond to the last post. I screwed up CW naval placement at the beginning of the game, and I've been paying for it ever since. I do now have a fleet that might be able to reassert itself in the E. Med, but it may be too late to do much good. I've been trying to readjust the CV fleets, so more CVs can be available in the Med, but that is complicated by the Combined Actions I've had to take now and then.

I disagree with sending the French fleet to Syria. If Egypt falls, it is going to be very difficult to keep supply open to Syria. I'd much rather have the pitiful navy helping to "protect" against a breakout into the Atlantic.

On the other side of things, I hadn't thought about the CW Shore Bombardment factors available if Spain aligns with them. I think you are right about this, and though the Action choices will be difficult after aligning Spain, it is probably best to give them to the CW. They can make the best use of the fleet and sealift.
-----
On a different subject, I've been talking about how the last several weather rolls have gone to extremes. Well, for Impulse #3, it's starting to even out, though it doesn't really help the Allies any, since the Japanese are now pretty much out of the N. Monsoon zone at this point:

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 546
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 5:36:07 PM   
Orm

I think it would be wise to align Spain with CW. If you make Spanish Africa the new Home Country to Spain and add the Spanish units to the CW force pool you get alot of infantry appearing at a critical front and they can land move from where they are set up to reinforce Gibraltar.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 547
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 5:40:30 PM   
Red Prince

Next up, I'll try to show you where the units of each country are at this point in the game. That may take a good long while to get posted, but I'll do what I can.
-----
Edit: But I need to take a break first. I've been at this all morning, and it really is going to be complicated to show these so that you can really understand where everyone is
-----

One thing I forgot to note: the CW has been trying desperately to obliterate the Italians in the W. Med, but has had no success at all. This past impulse, they should have been able to make a dent (the attempt was made hoping to eliminate an SCS carrying an INF Division for an invasion).

The results?

Italy aborted a CW NAV, killed off a French NAV, destroyed 3 x CW Light Cruisers, damaged 2 others, and forced the Commonwealth to abort to Gibraltar. What losses did Italy take? One CL destroyed, and another damaged.

It's been a series of bad rolls for the CW in the W. Med all game long.

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 12/19/2011 5:45:17 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 548
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 6:24:16 PM   
Red Prince

Actually, I don't know if it can be done. There are a total of 222 Land Units, 66 Air Units, and some insane number of Naval Units on the map aleady.

Well, it can be done, but I don't know if I'm willing to do it. The best I can do is show you certain areas. For starters, the UK:

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 549
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 6:45:29 PM   
Red Prince

Here's the area around Gibraltar. The Italian 3-3 INF is OOS, but after the DOW on Spain, it can be put in supply very easily.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 12/19/2011 6:47:39 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 550
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 6:47:59 PM   
brian brian

not the French fleet ... if you take any last land units out of France, Syria might be a good destination for an escaping land unit. Egypt will not fall if you don't just resign the Allies to that, and given the CW lift shortage, perhaps Wavell can just stay there and make the Axis beat his tanks - not simple. Egyptian supply can't be cut until Japan enters the war (and even then the RN can contest that), which is actually coming sooner than the Japanese think.

Maybe a sneakier destination for a French evac would be to send a unit to Corsica, potentially forcing the Italians to respond to something for a change. Or, Egypt.

I've never commanded a surrendered France, but they could become an interesting rogue element until the US enters the war, when they can join any American front. Since now I learn that they get all the French City-Based Volunteers, there will be lots of odd units in odd corners, fairly free of action limit constraints. The 'Circassian' cavalry that appears in Damascus has always been one of my favorite units - along with Genghis Khan's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great gransdons in the Mongolian CAV - a real connection to ancient history sort of.

We don't see all of the game, and I hope you keep playing lots and just give us the short thumbnail version. Keep fighting in both halves of the Med and send the SUBs into the Italian Coast....good rolls will come for the Royal Navy too. The Italians are already down to 5 CP...

My irregular ftf WiF opponent and I call Combined Impulses "Crack". Eventually you have to learn to put down the crack pipe and accomplish far more with actual land and naval impulses. It is a hard decision involving small sacrifices - usually made by the infantry in the front lines unfortunately.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 551
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 6:49:32 PM   
Red Prince

The situation in Egypt:

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 552
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 6:53:05 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

not the French fleet ... if you take any last land units out of France, Syria might be a good destination for an escaping land unit. Egypt will not fall if you don't just resign the Allies to that, and given the CW lift shortage, perhaps Wavell can just stay there and make the Axis beat his tanks - not simple. Egyptian supply can't be cut until Japan enters the war (and even then the RN can contest that), which is actually coming sooner than the Japanese think.

Maybe a sneakier destination for a French evac would be to send a unit to Corsica, potentially forcing the Italians to respond to something for a change. Or, Egypt.

I've never commanded a surrendered France, but they could become an interesting rogue element until the US enters the war, when they can join any American front. Since now I learn that they get all the French City-Based Volunteers, there will be lots of odd units in odd corners, fairly free of action limit constraints. The 'Circassian' cavalry that appears in Damascus has always been one of my favorite units - along with Genghis Khan's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great gransdons in the Mongolian CAV - a real connection to ancient history sort of.

We don't see all of the game, and I hope you keep playing lots and just give us the short thumbnail version. Keep fighting in both halves of the Med and send the SUBs into the Italian Coast....good rolls will come for the Royal Navy too. The Italians are already down to 5 CP...

My irregular ftf WiF opponent and I call Combined Impulses "Crack". Eventually you have to learn to put down the crack pipe and accomplish far more with actual land and naval impulses. It is a hard decision involving small sacrifices - usually made by the infantry in the front lines unfortunately.

Corsica was conquered by Italy early on, so it is not a valid destination. And, in my last game, sending the TRS to Egypt caused problems due to co-operation issues.

Also, many of the "free" CBV won't be available. Algeria and Tunisia are already Italian. The Syrian CAV, the Dakar MOT, and the Moroccan and Madagascan units will be available, though.

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 12/19/2011 6:56:05 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 553
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 6:57:48 PM   
Red Prince

In addition to the units already in Egypt, of these units in Greece, 3 of them will be able to get there soon: 2 by TRS, 1 by ATR.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 554
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 7:04:41 PM   
Red Prince

Slightly degraded, here's what's going on in China:

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 555
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 7:09:26 PM   
Red Prince

And, so you don't get the idea that I am randomly defending areas of the Commonwealth "empire", here's what the defenses look like in Southeast Asia:

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 556
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 7:11:30 PM   
Red Prince

The second half of the defense in Southeast Asia (that INF unit is on its way to Chittagong):

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 557
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 7:14:41 PM   
Red Prince

Concerning the 2 images above, all of the units except for the ones in Malaya had to be placed in the countries where they are now. No choice about it. The Sydney MIL I intended to send to Malaya from the very beginning of the game, and the 5-4 INF got there as a result of the bug that ended up handing Malta to the Italians. I had to move it to Bombay, and from there I decided to send it to Singapore, where it could do a lot more good than in Egypt. The Partisan that showed up made this a good choice, since it was needed to destroy the unit without risking the loss of either CW land unit.

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 12/19/2011 7:17:29 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 558
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 7:22:42 PM   
Red Prince

As to how soon the USA will have a chance to Pass War Appropriations, after the USSR claimed the Baltic States, here's what the Entry Pools look like. This is before the DOWs on Spain or the alignment of Finland (which doesn't need to happen just yet from the Axis point of view), but given that the rest of the year there's only a 45% chance of getting a 2 or better for USE chits, it could take a while.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 559
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 7:27:04 PM   
brian brian

send some CVs to the East Med and port strike Bardia. Hurry. You have the Italian TRS right where you want them. Blockade them there too via leaving units at sea. Don't worry about losses - the Royal Army is depending on the Fleet to end Axis adventures in Africa. CVs could also intercept ATR missions...

A way around action limits is to use other countries on that side to activate sea areas. So when the CW takes a land, the French can activate a zone in the Med with a CW fleet...keep hunting. The French can afford a Combined impulse every time now.

Any French unit from France can land in Egypt, but can't stack with a CW unit. I'm not sure what unit is in Nice, but if it doesn't go east, it could make a great threat to the Italian flank in western Algeria too, after moving up from Mogador with a land move every impulse. But I also like leaving them in the Marseilles/Nice area, tying down a bit of Axis ground strength. Maybe only leave Nice if Marseilles falls. I'm starting to like the French in this game now.....they can be the pirates on the Allied side. Maybe some US financing might help the buccaneers...

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 560
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 7:54:19 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

send some CVs to the East Med and port strike Bardia. Hurry. You have the Italian TRS right where you want them. Blockade them there too via leaving units at sea. Don't worry about losses - the Royal Army is depending on the Fleet to end Axis adventures in Africa. CVs could also intercept ATR missions...

A way around action limits is to use other countries on that side to activate sea areas. So when the CW takes a land, the French can activate a zone in the Med with a CW fleet...keep hunting. The French can afford a Combined impulse every time now.

Any French unit from France can land in Egypt, but can't stack with a CW unit. I'm not sure what unit is in Nice, but if it doesn't go east, it could make a great threat to the Italian flank in western Algeria too, after moving up from Mogador with a land move every impulse. But I also like leaving them in the Marseilles/Nice area, tying down a bit of Axis ground strength. Maybe only leave Nice if Marseilles falls. I'm starting to like the French in this game now.....they can be the pirates on the Allied side. Maybe some US financing might help the buccaneers...

There are no CVs available to send to the E. Med. This was part of the screwed up setup, as well as poor CVP selections to begin with at the start of the game.

As for the way around action limits, I've heard of using that for the Italian and German SUB fleets, and I imagine it could be done with the CW and French, but at the moment the French fleet has 7 ships, including 2 SUBs and a TRS. Once the French regroup, I'm sure this can be done. However, the CW ships need to be there before the French can "activate" the sea area.

At the moment, the CAV from Nice can end up in Spain, Morocco, Spanish Sahara, or it can continue on to some other location. The trouble the non-cooperation in Egypt? If the French unit is in a port, it makes it difficult to land CW units.

With the beating that the French have taken, I agree that they've put up a fight more than worthy of the units available.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 561
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 8:04:14 PM   
Red Prince

I decided to use the setup for Spain from Post #435 on Page 15 of this thread, with two exceptions. As suggested, I swapped the positions of the CAV and the 3-3 INF, and I also moved the INF Division from the Pyranees to Tangier.

Also, the main fleet is set up in Cartagena under the CAV, and the TRS is in Rio Muni. If it seems wise to evacuate Wavell, that TRS can get to him next turn. Otherwise, it can be used to get the FTR from S. Africa to a more useful location.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 562
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 8:11:54 PM   
Red Prince

After the double-DOW on Spain and the alignment of Finland, here's how the US Entry Pools look:

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 563
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 8:17:48 PM   
composer99

The Allies need airpower in the active Med fronts, so the South African FTR needs to go to Spain or Morocco.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 564
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 8:19:13 PM   
composer99

Looks like the USSR occupation of the Baltics was bad for US Entry.

~ Composer99

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 565
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 8:29:13 PM   
Red Prince

I have to say I planned this DOW pretty well (I think).

I've got 4 Ground Strikes going for Germany: Marseilles, Bilbao, and in the 2 hexes NE of Saragossa. If successful, particularly with those near Saragossa, I've got my MTN unit and the 9-4 INF stack ready to put those two units into a situation where they are both isolated and disorganized. The MTN may end up OOS from crossing the Alpine hexside, but it will ZOC the MOT out of supply, too, so I really hope that Ground Strike succeeds. If it does, the MOT can easily be destroyed and the MTN will end up in supply again.

With any luck, the Spanish could be destroyed sooner than might be expected, and the Germans may be sweeping through Spain too quickly for the CW to provide adequate support.
-----
Edit: Good rolls for the Germans, and all 6 units were disorganized by the Ground Strikes. I'm not used to this. In the Barbarossa AAR that Orm and I ran, it seemed that my Ground Strikes were much less successful than they should have been. In this game, too, my Ground Strikes to this point didn't seem to be quite as useful as I would have expected . . . until now.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 12/19/2011 8:40:31 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 566
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 8:40:15 PM   
Centuur

I don't like the look of the UK at all. Only three corps and two divisions left there. I hope you're fleet in the North Sea is large enough to counter any German attempts at invading the UK. He can put two corps and a division ashore, together with the PARA that means trouble. The MOT has to stay in England, together with the air force. I would suggest moving the MOT to London. You don't want to give the Germans a nice opportunity for a Sealion.
Also, there are only four corps in Gibraltar and Morocco together with Gort. You need to keep a garrison in Gibraltar of one land unit against a Italian division invading, and at least two land units in Morocco/Spanish Morocco. That means that only the HQ and one land unit are free to go into Spain. That doesn't even qualify for support of a minor.

Other CW land units on the board are some West African TERR, I believe? That are the units which the CW should move into Spain at this moment. I suggest getting Wavell out of Egypt. There aren't any reinforcements appearing there in at least two turns. Also, it sure isn't looking the way that the Germans are going to be impressed by the CW forces in Morocco and Spain...

Now, maybe I'm overlooking something here, but aren't the City Based Volunteers of France all Free French units? Since Free France isn't going to be created in the event of a surrender or conquest of France, they aren't going to appear on the map at all, aren't they? So no free Morrocan, Senegalese or Syrian units appearing. No aid from that side from the hard pressed French forces, I'm afraid. If they appear, that's a bug in the program.

Advise: build more CW land units next production phase. Build the CAV, and 3 infantry type units. You are going to need them. Build FTR's 3 too and start praying. Those damned bureaucrats in London are designating the war production to the wrong services at the moment...

By the way, align Spain with the CW. They are right about the defensive shore bombardment factors and the Spanish force pool getting into the CW pools.

< Message edited by Centuur -- 12/19/2011 8:46:49 PM >

Peter

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 567
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 8:54:16 PM   
Orm

quote:

Now, maybe I'm overlooking something here, but aren't the City Based Volunteers of France all Free French units? Since Free France isn't going to be created in the event of a surrender or conquest of France, they aren't going to appear on the map at all, aren't they? So no free Morrocan, Senegalese or Syrian units appearing. No aid from that side from the hard pressed French forces, I'm afraid. If they appear, that's a bug in the program.

This has been clarified and aswered in the FAQ. A conquered France do get the Free French City Based Volunteers.

quote:

Clarification. The Free French city based volunteers are available to Free France if it exists. If Free France does
not exist (for any reason) but France itself exists after having been completely or incompletely conquered, then these
CBV units are available to France - May 11, 2007.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 568
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 8:59:30 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Prince

I decided to use the setup for Spain from Post #435 on Page 15 of this thread, with two exceptions. As suggested, I swapped the positions of the CAV and the 3-3 INF, and I also moved the INF Division from the Pyranees to Tangier.

Also, the main fleet is set up in Cartagena under the CAV, and the TRS is in Rio Muni. If it seems wise to evacuate Wavell, that TRS can get to him next turn. Otherwise, it can be used to get the FTR from S. Africa to a more useful location.

Why are you evacuating Wavell? Ids there something useful for him to do somewhere else? If not, let him die fighting to hold Egypt. My philosophy is that every unit has to earn his keep. Those units in the far east in advance of the Japanese attacking next year should be in Egypt - or at the very least in east Africa cleaning up the mess there created by the Italians. Likewise the units in the United Kingdom can be sent to Spain, either north or south of Gibraltar.

Even if all the Italian unis in Greece get across to north Africa, they still have to advance to the front lines & maneuver around before they can fight. Is Italy doing combines? Actually it doesn't matter, Italy's two front offense in northern Africa is going to make a lot of demands on their activity limits. If the CW can push up against the Italians and threaten to go around them (i.e., put them out of supply), then any successful ground strike can reduce them to 1 strength factor. In fact that AA gun is currently worth only 1 when it is sitting alone in a hex. So, if either of two tactical bombers are able to successfully ground strike the 3-3 INF, the CW moves its mech SE and brings up it HQ to have a 12:2 on the 3-3 INF. Throw in a tactical bomber and you have an automatic victory. At that point those units in Greece will be heading for Algiers, not Tobruk.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 12/19/2011 9:04:46 PM >

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 569
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/19/2011 9:04:56 PM   
Orm

To bad that Wavell is out of range of the Italian territorial in Egypt. That is a unit that begs to be attacked.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI