Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/8/2012 6:36:04 PM   
Red Prince

One final thought on the "you did what!!!" concept:

When I was in the early stages of recovering from pneumonia, I had very little energy so that I rarely managed to get more than an impulse or two done each day. Some days I couldn't even complete that much of the game. That meant there was more time for discussion at crucial points in the game before I moved on to the next impulse or phase.

Now that I'm on the mend, I'm getting a lot more done each day. This means I have less opportunity to get advice from the gurus. I want to get as far into this game as possible before it is released. That means picking up the pace so that I can get in a full turn every few days . . .
-----
Note: Please do not calculate the number of turns left to try to figure out when this game is going to be released. This is only one of the projects I'll be working on as I get better.
-----
. . . and that means I'm going to be making a lot more moves that trigger a horrified response. Sorry, but it can't be helped. If I want to finish this game by the end of March or the beginning of April, for example, that means I'll need to average a full turn every 2 days. With the documentation and AAR that I'm creating to track bugs and show images of the progress, I don't know if that's possible. Between now and then, I'm hoping to learn a few things, but I'll probably have to learn from mistakes that get pointed out. It would be nice if they could be pointed out before the fact rather than after the fact, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be pointed out!

One request I do have, which nobody needs to follow (though it would be nice), is that if you post about building strategies, as many have, please review my End-of-Turn reports to check gearing limits and available BP. I have been very careful to include builds, gearing limits, and available BP for each nation each turn. It gets very frustrating to be told I need to build "a lot of cheap land units, some FTR-3s with pilots, and some TRS, AMPH, NAV and armor" with the CW . . . when I know that I've only got 19 BP to work with each turn:

Each FTR-3 w/Pilot = 5 BP
Each TRS = 2 BP/3-4BP
Each AMPH = 3 BP/4BP
Each NAV = 2-4 BP
Each ARM or MECH = 5-6 BP
Each "cheap land unit" = 2-3 BP

If I build one of each per turn, that totals anywhere from 19-26 BP, depending on which unit and which cycle (for naval units). But most of the posts haven't been asking for just one of each . . . they want several of each every turn, and then get mad at me for building incorrectly. So, please do the math before telling me I'm wrong. It's so early in the game that there isn't enough to go around. Nothing I can do about that.

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/8/2012 6:38:50 PM >

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 901
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/8/2012 6:38:59 PM   
Klydon

I agree with freezing the assets.

The Axis have every reason to be very happy with this last turn. That is a lot of dead Chinese and CW units for very few Axis units.

As far as the initative goes, that is going to present a future issue for the Axis. Fortunately for them, they lost it at a good point since it is basically over in Morocco and there isn't much going on elsewhere. The Allies will be able to get their fleets out first this turn for a change.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 902
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/8/2012 6:47:27 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon

I agree with freezing the assets.

The Axis have every reason to be very happy with this last turn. That is a lot of dead Chinese and CW units for very few Axis units.

As far as the initative goes, that is going to present a future issue for the Axis. Fortunately for them, they lost it at a good point since it is basically over in Morocco and there isn't much going on elsewhere. The Allies will be able to get their fleets out first this turn for a change.

Depending on the Initiative Roll

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 903
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/8/2012 7:18:06 PM   
Centuur

The CW should become worried about a Sealion next spring. To prevent one, the CW needs to get air superiority over the Sea. So FTR3 is a priority. Also: empty the MIL pool to strengthen the defenses (I don't know how many are left in there, but among them is the London MIL and that's a very nice unit to have).

At this point I would build 2 FTR3 with Pilots, 2 MIL and spent the rest on repairing ships and/or building convoy points (try to even them out). Exception: if there is a TRS to complete in the construction pool, I would opt for finishing that unit instead of the repairs or convoy points. If there is a CV without a plane, you might go for a CVP too (however, that depends on the availability of a pilot).

Next turn it's time to start building NAV.

Peter

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 904
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/8/2012 8:20:00 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

The CW should become worried about a Sealion next spring. To prevent one, the CW needs to get air superiority over the Sea. So FTR3 is a priority. Also: empty the MIL pool to strengthen the defenses (I don't know how many are left in there, but among them is the London MIL and that's a very nice unit to have).

At this point I would build 2 FTR3 with Pilots, 2 MIL and spent the rest on repairing ships and/or building convoy points (try to even them out). Exception: if there is a TRS to complete in the construction pool, I would opt for finishing that unit instead of the repairs or convoy points. If there is a CV without a plane, you might go for a CVP too (however, that depends on the availability of a pilot).

Next turn it's time to start building NAV.

A lot of CVP have been lost, so there are many CV without aircraft. I need to boost Pilot production. I actually have a fairly large reserve pool at the moment for some reason. Well, I also have 3 pilots there, too, from planes that got shot down. I think a TRS might have popped into the construction pool. If not, I think it will after this turn. Convoy points aren't actually a problem. I didn't mention this at the time, becase it didn't seems so important, but I (as the Italians) "let" almost all of the Greek CP escape to Bombay, so I've got enough . . . just need to get them into position is all. (See? I do "cheat" on the Allied behalf now and then).

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 905
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/8/2012 8:24:19 PM   
Red Prince

Another question: should I boost the Freeze Assets (7) +3 to be sure to get a chit moved? Or should I just let it play out and go for Repair Western Allied ships if it doesn't move one? I'm guessing the answer is boost it, but both would be useful at the moment.

It's nap time for me. Tomorrow I probably will finish the End of Turn sequence, but won't dig into the next turn yet . . . might not even schedule my builds. I should probably take a day off, anyway.

Keep discussing, harassing, and praising everything I do in the meantime. All of it has value.

-Aaron

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 906
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/8/2012 8:30:18 PM   
USSLockwood

Exactly, although I don't deserve the entire blame. The original CW player bailed after playing for
one day (he was more of an RPG'er than a wargamer- I guess there weren't enough elves in the game
for his taste) and I inherited the situation.

Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 907
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/8/2012 9:11:42 PM   
Orm

Lower the posibility to get a chit. If you do not get a tension chit then pick a second option aimed at Japan and increase the chance to get a chit on the second roll.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 908
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/8/2012 10:01:16 PM   
composer99

It's the end of Jul/Aug 1940. Germany has 1 AMPH, 1 TRS, and 1 ATR (as well as a fair few SCS for division invasions) to attempt a Sealion. Because of the lead time to build TRS and AMPH (6 and 8 turns, respectively, translated into 12 and 16 months), there will be no opportunity for a Sealion IMO in summer 1941, especially if (a) the CW builds a few more corps (which we know it will) and (b) the US gets in.

Also, if I were the USSR in this situation and saw a '41 Sealion coming, I would seriously consider trying to break the pact offensively and go to war with Germany myself.

As far as US entry goes, I am torn between suggesting Freeze Japanese Assets with a view to boosting tension (because the US needs tension in the Ja pool) or to avoid tension to give the US a chance to get the oil embargo off (given that the Japanese army is still deep within China, this could hamstring Japanese oil-dependent operations).

~ Composer99

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 909
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/8/2012 10:01:33 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Lower the posibility to get a chit. If you do not get a tension chit then pick a second option aimed at Japan and increase the chance to get a chit on the second roll.

You can't increase the chance on the second roll because it is an action against both. <-- Edit: sorry, I thought repair allied ships was the one suggested as next. Nonetheless...

Go with a guaranteed chit move. Any time you can take the dice out of an equation that is supposed to equal success - do so.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 1/8/2012 10:04:13 PM >

Paul

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 910
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/8/2012 10:02:59 PM   
composer99

Also: if the weather is good in Sep/Oct 1940 and the Communists are all crushed, surrender China IMO.

~ Composer99

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 911
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/8/2012 10:06:20 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

You can't increase the chance on the second roll because it is an action against both. <-- Edit: sorry, I thought repair allied ships was the one suggested as next. Nonetheless...

Go with a guaranteed chit move. Any time you can take the dice out of an equation that is supposed to equal success - do so.

I actually checked the relevant rule before I made my post and I still got it wrong.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 912
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/8/2012 10:17:08 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

Also: if the weather is good in Sep/Oct 1940 and the Communists are all crushed, surrender China IMO.

Really? I was curious about this. It probably would make things difficult on the Japanese, but for how long? Most of the troops are on or near the rail lines now, so while it might be slow, they should be able to get wherever they are going fairly quickly . . . 2-3 turns, whether that is Siberia or to prepare for war with the CW is yet to be determined. Personally, I'm thinking the USSR.

Here's a question, though. Wouldn't this actually help the Japanese to some extent? Any reserve units go back to the reserve pool, meaning they can be called out again when Japan next goes to war. If they are deep in China at the time, it could be a mere impulse or two and suddenly they appear in a more convenient location. True, they might be disorganized at the time, but if timed correctly with a DOW on the USSR, that shouldn't be a huge problem.

Also, if China looks like it's going to have to surrender, does the USSR send troops back to the Japanese/Manchurian border? or does it rely on reserve and MIL units to hold the RP and cities?

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 913
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/8/2012 10:21:46 PM   
Orm

quote:

Also, if China looks like it's going to have to surrender, does the USSR send troops back to the Japanese/Manchurian border? or does it rely on reserve and MIL units to hold the RP and cities?

USSR should rely on militia, reserves and reinforcements against the Japanese.

I do not think it is time to surrender China.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 914
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/8/2012 10:28:12 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

quote:

USSR should rely on militia, reserves and reinforcements against the Japanese.

I do not think it is time to surrender China.

I think composer99 meant at the end of the S/O '40 turn, which could leave the Japanese in a situation which would force them to either DOW the Soviets in the winter months when they have very few impulses per turn to relocate units . . . or to boost US Entry a lot by making a DOW on France or the CW.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 915
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/9/2012 1:40:25 AM   
composer99

It's contingent on how long it takes the Japanese to finish off the Communists.

Unless Japan is active they get 1 rail move per impulse. Unless the turns go very long many units can remain stranded when war begins elsewhere.

Also, the units that go back in reserves end up coming back disorganized. Sure, they come back disorganized in Japan, ready for redeployment once they are reorganized, but either Japan has to spend a whole turn at war with someone with a good chunk of its best units (the 8-3 INF, 6-3 MAR, Tokyo MIL, and a few others) out of action, or it needs to use its HQs to reorganize them. In either case, long delays are imposed, which may give the Allies time to get some defences organized (or even some counterattacks).

~ Composer99

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 916
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/9/2012 2:47:22 AM   
morgil

The annoying bit is not a newbie making mistakes, god knows I have done all your mistakes, and more too.
Everybody has done them starting the game.
Also, defending is a lot harder than attacking, and ship movement is mindboggling at first.

However, I like to pride myself of that I havent done the same silly mistake impulse after impulse after impulse.
There are a few very basic rules in WiF that will prevent sillyness, and you should by now try really hard to follow them.
1. Any blue port you have, or plan to have ships in must have a unit stacked with them and aircover.
2. Any important unit, like HQs should if possible be stacked with another unit, and have aircover.
3. Dont stack your entire bombforce in one hex, within striking distance without aircover.
4. Dont singlestack units in the plains if you can avoid it.
   The occational speedbump is acceptable, but if you are loosing units faster than you are building them, it is a one way street.
And if you have to loose a unit, pick a cheap one that you can rebuild.
5. Forests is the poor mans aircover.
6. Blackprint units flipped and out of supply is worth just about nothing.

If you dont learn this by the next few turns, Barbarossa will take about 3 turns and SA and India will be done just before 1942 Sealion.

Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 917
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/9/2012 3:10:22 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

It's the end of Jul/Aug 1940. Germany has 1 AMPH, 1 TRS, and 1 ATR (as well as a fair few SCS for division invasions) to attempt a Sealion. Because of the lead time to build TRS and AMPH (6 and 8 turns, respectively, translated into 12 and 16 months), there will be no opportunity for a Sealion IMO in summer 1941, especially if (a) the CW builds a few more corps (which we know it will) and (b) the US gets in.

Also, if I were the USSR in this situation and saw a '41 Sealion coming, I would seriously consider trying to break the pact offensively and go to war with Germany myself.

As far as US entry goes, I am torn between suggesting Freeze Japanese Assets with a view to boosting tension (because the US needs tension in the Ja pool) or to avoid tension to give the US a chance to get the oil embargo off (given that the Japanese army is still deep within China, this could hamstring Japanese oil-dependent operations).

Sigh, remembering build times is always difficult.

I do hope that the US has started all its TRS and AMPH units. The Marines will be needed but they take relatively less time in production (says he without looking it up). Without sea lift the massive US build up will just sit in America doing nothing.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 918
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/9/2012 4:48:30 AM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

I do hope that the US has started all its TRS and AMPH units. The Marines will be needed but they take relatively less time in production (says he without looking it up). Without sea lift the massive US build up will just sit in America doing nothing.

Oddly enough, my choice to build a MAR for the USA a few turns ago was one of the things that generated some slight criticism. It's actually scheduled to show up at the start of S/O '40. The USA at this moment has an AMPH in the Construction Pool, another completing its first cycle in J/F '40, 1 x AMPH and 5 x TRS in the Force Pool. The reason I haven't managed to build out the pools yet is that I didn't scrap any of the 3 range TRS to start the game (based on earlier comments from either this thread or the development forum -- can't remember which right now). And, of course, there are the 4 TRS that the USA starts with, so by mid-summer 1941, I should easily have at least 5 TRS and an AMPH to start with, plus I intned to build the next MAR as soon as I can, as well as all MAR Divisions.

The CW also has a TRS in the Construction Pool to finish with its BP this turn.

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/9/2012 4:50:43 AM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 919
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/9/2012 4:59:46 AM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: morgil

The annoying bit is not a newbie making mistakes, god knows I have done all your mistakes, and more too.
Everybody has done them starting the game.
Also, defending is a lot harder than attacking, and ship movement is mindboggling at first.

However, I like to pride myself of that I havent done the same silly mistake impulse after impulse after impulse.
There are a few very basic rules in WiF that will prevent sillyness, and you should by now try really hard to follow them.
1. Any blue port you have, or plan to have ships in must have a unit stacked with them and aircover.
2. Any important unit, like HQs should if possible be stacked with another unit, and have aircover.
3. Dont stack your entire bombforce in one hex, within striking distance without aircover.
4. Dont singlestack units in the plains if you can avoid it.
   The occational speedbump is acceptable, but if you are loosing units faster than you are building them, it is a one way street.
And if you have to loose a unit, pick a cheap one that you can rebuild.
5. Forests is the poor mans aircover.
6. Blackprint units flipped and out of supply is worth just about nothing.

If you dont learn this by the next few turns, Barbarossa will take about 3 turns and SA and India will be done just before 1942 Sealion.

Most of these I've already learned, but have not already successfully put into practice. I've made a few mistakes with each, I think. The one I tend to forget most is that forests are prefered for HQ's and LND locations.

I try not to single-stack in plains, but sometimes movement restrictions and/or the need to ZOC the enemy overrides this one. In the Barbarossa scenario, you have to start with 20 Soviet units within a few hexes of the German borders of Poland and Rumania. That's not the case in a full game, so before that time comes, I'll be reviewing the Soviet AIO thread and asking about proper withdrawal and starting defensive positions for the USSR.

(Another argument in favor of the possible surrender of China -- if Japan selects the USSR as its next prey, that gives the Soviets an easier time of preparing its defense successfully.)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to morgil)
Post #: 920
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/9/2012 5:07:36 AM   
Red Prince

quote:

The answer to this question, oddly enough, is to boost tensions . . . due to developments in the Middle-East. Iraq is going to become Italian very soon (don't think there's any easy was to stop it now, and maybe not even a hard way), and if Japan can get the convoys in place, Italy could always lend an Oil Point or two to Japan once the embargo begins. It might make things harder on Italy for the moment, but it might be just enough to get the Japanese into the NEI when that time comes.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 921
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/9/2012 5:14:28 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Oddly enough, my choice to build a MAR for the USA a few turns ago was one of the things that generated some slight criticism. It's actually scheduled to show up at the start of S/O '40. The USA at this moment has an AMPH in the Construction Pool, another completing its first cycle in J/F '40, 1 x AMPH and 5 x TRS in the Force Pool. The reason I haven't managed to build out the pools yet is that I didn't scrap any of the 3 range TRS to start the game (based on earlier comments from either this thread or the development forum -- can't remember which right now). And, of course, there are the 4 TRS that the USA starts with, so by mid-summer 1941, I should easily have at least 5 TRS and an AMPH to start with, plus I intned to build the next MAR as soon as I can, as well as all MAR Divisions.

The CW also has a TRS in the Construction Pool to finish with its BP this turn.

So if you have 6 sea lift units for the US, what 3 air and land units are you going to send to Europe and which 3 out into the Pacific? There will only be one trip for each TRS/AMPH per turn unless you dedicate an HQ to reorganize them during a turn. Even then you need to hope that the turn doesn't end before they can make the second round trip.

The other 6 sea lift units need to be built ASAP. You know, there might be losses when they start sailing around when the US is at war with all the Axis major powers. And if you expect to actually invade somewhere, the units doing the invading will not be bringing reinforcements across.

In both theaters of the war you will want to have strong land and air units: fighters and naval air for sea operations and fighters and bombers for land operations. The strategic bombers can rebase to the United Kingdom on their own, but all the other units will be looking for a boat to ride over on.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 922
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/9/2012 5:40:51 AM   
Red Prince

quote:

So if you have 6 sea lift units for the US, what 3 air and land units are you going to send to Europe and which 3 out into the Pacific? There will only be one trip for each TRS/AMPH per turn unless you dedicate an HQ to reorganize them during a turn. Even then you need to hope that the turn doesn't end before they can make the second round trip.

The other 6 sea lift units need to be built ASAP. You know, there might be losses when they start sailing around when the US is at war with all the Axis major powers. And if you expect to actually invade somewhere, the units doing the invading will not be bringing reinforcements across.

In both theaters of the war you will want to have strong land and air units: fighters and naval air for sea operations and fighters and bombers for land operations. The strategic bombers can rebase to the United Kingdom on their own, but all the other units will be looking for a boat to ride over on.

I'll try to answer your questions first, and that might create another "You did what!!!"

I already have 2 GARR in Dutch Harbor, a GARR and INF in Honolulu, with 2 NAV and the 2 wimpy FTRs I started with in the Pacific region. Using extended range, I managed to get a LND to Iceland by way of Greenland. At the moment, I have a some land units, mostly the starting ART divisions, but also 2 INF divisions and both starting HQ units on the East Coast, but can get any/all of them back to the West Coast before they are needed there. Eisenhower is in production, so I'll transfer one of those HQs back for certain. The MAR will almost certainly be a West Coast reinforcement.
-----
And now . . .

I don't mean to pick on you, Steve, but it's this kind of thinking that gets on my nerves a little. Only a year into the game the US may be in good position to prepare for war, but just because the USA can DOW earlier than usual does not mean that it has had the time to prepare for it, does it? The Gear Up didn't happen until M/A '40, so there were 3 turns at 11 BP, 1 turn at 21 BP, and 1 turn at 20 BP before now. That's only 74 BP for the first 5 turns.

I was told, quite clearly, that I needed to build a land unit or two per turn from the start -- even with the USA -- so there is a minimum of 3 BP dedicated to that. I was told that I needed to build out my USA CV fleet as soon as they become available, which means I also needed to build the CVP and Pilots that would go with them soon after that. Now I'm told that I should also have focused on building out my sealift. This begins the circle, though:

Without sealift, the land units can't go anywhere. Without land units, what good is the sealift?

Again, I'm willing to admit that I may be wrong about this, because the USA absolutely wants to have all of these units on the map when it goes to war . . . but that doesn't usually happen until late 1941, which gives the USA player 3-4 more turns (~120 more BP) to work with than I'm expecting to get (assuming an early to mid-1941 entry).

So, the real question might have to be: just because the USA can enter the war early, should it? or is the threat enough to strike fear into the heart of Japan?

Perhaps I'm not terrific at planning 3-4 turns ahead, but with a game that is advancing "faster than average", I feel that the expectations (and suggestions/demands) are being made based on the typical point in the game that these events occur, rather than when they are actually happening.
-----
I will pre-apologize for any hard feelings this post generates. Maybe it's just a newbie thing, but maybe I do have a point?

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/9/2012 5:56:14 AM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 923
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/9/2012 5:54:09 AM   
Red Prince

Wanted to complete the Freezing of Japanese Assets, so I did. The rest of the End of Turn stuff will have to wait until tomorrow -- after I take another "nap" So, there's some good news and some bad news.

The good news: Japan now has enough tension for War Appropriations, as soon as that becomes available.

The bad news: the chit that got moved from Entry to Tension was the '5' chit.

This has a serious impact on the "China situation" as it relates to a possible surrender, but I don't know what that impact is, and welcome all thoughts. I can see potential benefits both ways, but can't figure out which way to go is the better choice.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 924
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/9/2012 8:15:48 AM   
Orm

quote:

So, the real question might have to be: just because the USA can enter the war early, should it? or is the threat enough to strike fear into the heart of Japan?

USA should always enter the war as soon as possible.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 925
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/9/2012 9:54:36 AM   
BallyJ

Bring in the jolly green giant ASAP.
The axis has had its turn.
1 Pass war aprop.
2 DOW Japan
3 DOW Germany
4 50 BPs a turn builds up right quick!!!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 926
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/9/2012 1:09:14 PM   
Red Prince

Just making sure I understand:

Doesn't matter if the USA can actually do anything actively . . . the DOWs are for the BP primarily. I can live with that, easily but was under the impression that the Surprise impulse should not be wasted by anyone.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to BallyJ)
Post #: 927
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/9/2012 1:43:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

USA should always enter the war as soon as possible.
Warspite1

Absa - flippin - lutely!! That fact hasn't changed from the 5th Edition.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 928
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/9/2012 1:49:30 PM   
Klydon

Part of the thing I can see with bringing the US in early is not only the BP increase in production, but they also avoid a surprise strike from the Japanese against their fleet.

From what it looks like, a 41 campaign against Russia is likely to take place. There will likely be a German force coming from the south as well for extra fun and games. Given the situation in China, Russia can likely expect an attack in the FE as well. With the FE stripped of units and everything else going on, I am guessing Russian will "write off" the area. This means the Japanese will likely not have to commit a huge number of army units to make this come about.

The question then becomes what to do with a good amount of the Japanese army. With the CW reeling so far in this game, especially on the ground and how far the Euroaxis are penetrating into the ME, should the Japanese be looking at taking a wack at India? This should be far more secure than taking a shot at say Australia. A big issue with a major ground campaign for the Japanese is it gets in the way of what they do with their navy, but it still could be quite beneficial.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 929
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/9/2012 2:53:32 PM   
composer99

The extra production the US gets for being at war with at least 1 Axis major power (and the follow-up extra production it gets for being at war with all Axis major powers) make it worth it for the US to go to war with the Axis whether it can get a good surprise impulse or not.

As far as US production goes, it's better to have excess sealift than excess units. Extra sealift can be used for reorganization.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 930
Page:   <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI