Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 6:49:04 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Prince

If you're now wondering why I haven't tried to produce more NAV units, then, I have another image for you to study. Most of the units I started the game with are in the Reserve Pool now, and they are only good for Convoy protection. There are a few worth building now, but those NAV/ATR units are very expensive at 4 BP each. Starting in 1941 I'll have some more reasonably priced units to work with.

With such a high demand for sealift and cheap land units, I haven't felt the risk/reward value was high enough to justify building my FTR and NAV force in large numbers so far. Add in the destruction of so many of my CVP in early battles, and I figured I could get 2-3 CVP replacements for the price of a single FTR or NAV. Yes, that doesn't take Pilots into account, but as a rule CVP Pilots typically survive their engagements. So, I built a bunch of CVP and some Pilots, trying to fill out my CVs and empty the Reserve Pool of any units that might actually be useful.

Some of the air units can be scrapped come 1941, which will improve the overall quality of the force pools.

It is the Wildebeest and Sunderlands that you want. They should have the range to reach the Med (or Gibraltar) - assuming the Allies haven't lost every island in the Atlantic. What you want to do is place them to either attack the Italians as they are roaming around the Med or to threaten to do so - forcing the Axis to keep fighters nearby to contest the Med. You do not want to lose those NAVs, so if the Axis defends correctly, the Allied NAVs sit on the tarmac and paint ferocious images on their airplanes.

The Axis doesn't have very many fighters. It is going to want to position them all over the map to perform various defensive and offensive duties. The goal for the Allies is to stretch the Axis fighters out to the limit of their ranges to cover everything. If you can force Germany to build fighters instead of infantry, then you are helping the USSR. It is the German offensive units that are the real danger to the USSR. [Which is why all those armor units sitting in north Africa is raising everyone's eyebrows. The threats on Baku would be equally effective if there a half dozen Italian infantry in Iraq].

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 1/17/2012 6:50:53 PM >

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1111
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 7:09:35 PM   
WIF_Killzone

Churchill may be rolling over in his grave but I'm licking my lips waiting for the games release. Nice move with IRAQ CAV.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1112
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 7:15:36 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

The Axis doesn't have very many fighters. It is going to want to position them all over the map to perform various defensive and offensive duties. The goal for the Allies is to stretch the Axis fighters out to the limit of their ranges to cover everything. If you can force Germany to build fighters instead of infantry, then you are helping the USSR. It is the German offensive units that are the real danger to the USSR. [Which is why all those armor units sitting in north Africa is raising everyone's eyebrows. The threats on Baku would be equally effective if there a half dozen Italian infantry in Iraq].

Germany currently has 7 x FTR-2 and 3 x FTR-3 on the map. Italy has 3 x FTR-2 on the map. Whether this is a small number or a big number, I can't say. It's pretty much cleaned out the German force pools, though.

As for the German units "sitting" in North Africa, in these 2 sour-weathered impulses, they still managed to work their way into Tunisia. Yes, the Italians can threaten Baku, but they still need to finish off those Indian units in the Sinai. After that, there is a threat getting ready to come up from the South. More importantly, the Italian units can't activate Turkey. Only the Germans can do that. These were the fastest units already in Africa, so I sent them. Will this slow down the speed of Barbarossa? Probably a little, but if the Soviets choose not to defend against these guys, the Germans are going to catch them with their pants down.

Coming in at the beginning of J/F '41 for Germany: HQ-A Rommel, the 9-4 INF (white print), an 8-5 MECH, a 6th SUB, and a Pilot for an 8th FTR-2. Also, there will probably be 3 more MIL units, too, including the powerful Berlin MIL. I've built out my MECH pool, but I still have 3 ARM to build. Plus whatever is coming into the pools at the beginning of the year.

The short turn hurt Russia more than it hurt Germany.

Italy should really start producing some LND, but there hasn't been time for that yet. With the Italian FTRs covering at Gibraltar and Lisbon (and somewhere else -- I forget where), Germany should be able to cover its producing territory with 3-4 good FTRs, at least until the CW gets some real units on the map.

Attachment (1)

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 1113
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 7:19:12 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: WIF_Killzone

Churchill may be rolling over in his grave but I'm licking my lips waiting for the games release. Nice move with IRAQ CAV.

Thank you. I quite enjoyed that move.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to WIF_Killzone)
Post #: 1114
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 7:30:23 PM   
Centuur

Now: on building strategies. This turn the USSR should build as many INF possible. Gearing limits on INF need to be as high as possible when Barbarossa starts. I don't agree at all on the building of ARM and MECH by the USSR last turn. This is a huge mistake. You need quantity before quality as the USSR. If you have spare build points, build a CAV instead, but do not build a MECH if you cannot build all INF the gearing limits allow for. The builds of last turn are really bad for the USSR (even if they arrive before the USSR goes to war). You need far more INF units to be on the board when the Germans attack. You aren't going to get those in time if your gearing limits on INF are only two. The gearing limit should have been four or five INF type units for this turn and six for the next, so you can empty those infantry pools and build all MIL's the turn the Germans go to war with you. That than means the USSR gets about 10 INF type units in the first reinforcement phase after the war starts to compensate for the losses the USSR wil get in the first few turns of the war. If you keep the INF gearing limit as low as it is now, the USSR is doomed...

Kuwait isn't an important place for the CW at all. Sure, it is nice to have, but it's more important to keep a good hold on Yemen and kick those Italians out of East Africa. Kuwait should only be defended by the CW if he's got the units to spare for that. At the moment, he doesn't have those units or the TRS to get them there, so why burden the CW with another area to defend when he hasn't got the capabilities to do so? I didn't mention it, because of this...

< Message edited by Centuur -- 1/17/2012 7:32:40 PM >

Peter

Post #: 1115
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 7:31:44 PM   
Red Prince

Before I actually start Barbarossa, I'll make another one of my "famous" cluttered-up pictures to show you every unit involved, but for now, I just want to show you why I'm not extremely concerned about those strong units spending the winter in North Africa.

I've been trying to retreat the Soviets in a semi-orderly fashion, but you can clearly see they aren't ready for an attack. Even with the numerous reserve units they'll get and the ability to start building MIL units, they just aren't ready.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1116
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 7:34:31 PM   
WIF_Killzone

I concur on USSR build strategy. They need way, way more infantry.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1117
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 7:35:51 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Now: on building strategies. This turn the USSR should build as many INF possible. Gearing limits on INF need to be as high as possible when Barbarossa starts. I don't agree at all on the building of ARM and MECH by the USSR last turn. This is a huge mistake. You need quantity before quality as the USSR. If you have spare build points, build a CAV instead, but do not build a MECH if you cannot build all INF the gearing limits allow for. The builds of last turn are really bad for the USSR (even if they arrive before the USSR goes to war). You need far more INF units to be on the board when the Germans attack. You aren't going to get those in time if your gearing limits on INF are only two. The gearing limit should have been four or five INF type units for this turn and six for the next, so you can empty those infantry pools and build all MIL's the turn the Germans go to war with you. That than means the USSR gets about 10 INF type units in the first reinforcement phase after the war starts to compensate for the losses the USSR wil get in the first few turns of the war. If you keep the INF gearing limit as low as it is now, the USSR is doomed...

Kuwait isn't an important place for the CW at all. Sure, it is nice to have, but it's more important to keep a good hold on Yemen and kick those Italians out of East Africa. Kuwait should only be defended by the CW if he's got the units to spare for that. At the moment, he doesn't have those units or the TRS to get them there, so why burden the CW with another area to defend when he hasn't got the capabilities to do so? I didn't mention it, because of this...

Two points:

1. I built the MECH and ARM because They were both strong units I'll need in the summer months, and there weren't enough INF left in the pool for me to maintain gearing limits this turn if I built more. Therefore, I had to "pace" myself.

2. The USSR doesn't need any particular gearing limits the turn after it is DOWed. When it is first attacked, it gets unlimited gearing limits.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1118
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 7:37:12 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: WIF_Killzone

I concur on USSR build strategy. They need way, way more infantry.

I would also concur, but they just don't have them available yet. I think you guys are forgetting this is still 1940. All the units that would normally help with gearing limits for a 1941 or 1942 Barbarossa just aren't in the Force Pools yet.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 1119
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 7:44:20 PM   
Red Prince

To illustrate my point, here's a picture of every remaining land unit the USSR can build at the end of this turn (N/D '40). I'll probably end up building the INF, the PARA, and either the SKI or MTN Division, plus whatever else I can afford . . .

I don't think you can argue with my building strategy, since almost everything useful and/or quick is already either on the map or on the Production Spiral.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1120
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 7:49:22 PM   
Red Prince

And, to make sure you don't think I short-changed myself, I scrapped very few units for the USSR. I know some people who scrap all 3 of the 3-3 INF at the start of a game. I actually didn't scrap that unit until several turns in.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1121
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 7:54:37 PM   
Red Prince

Since it's quick and easy this turn, here's the chit summary for N/D '40 (Turn #8):

Impulse: 7
Italy aligns Iraq; USE-1 (+1 chit, 91 [1])

End of Turn:
USA drew 1 marker to the Ja Entry Pool (51 [1])
USA chooses no Entry Options

Ge/It Entry: 33
Ge/It Tension: 22
Chance of DOW: 0%
Japan Entry: 30
Japan Tension: 21

Allies Support Mozambique; USE-10 (no chit)
-----
Edit: Added the USE for supporting Mozambique.

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/18/2012 7:29:18 AM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1122
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 8:01:55 PM   
Centuur

Well. Next turn is 1941 is it? The Soviets are about 8 INF type units short of getting something of a defense together (including the reserves...). Also: Zhukov needs reinforcements in Persia too. Build INF and CAV to the maximum and start praying for the bad weather to last a very, very long time (no snow either, please...).
Is Murmansk held by two INF units by now? If not: that's the place where reserves of reinforcements should go with priority. You want to get two factories there to be used by CW resources. And retreat that GAR near Leningrad into the city, because he is alone there... Same goes for the units around Cernauti. If you want to defend the city, you have to at least double stack the place (however, I wouldn't bother, since you are so short of units for the defense of the Dneiper river).
Railmove the ART to a position further away, or put it in Sevastopol or Leningrad. It is far to slow to retreat from the Germans and will be killed at the frontlines. Now, it's only good for one bombardment...
Is that the Mongolian CAV in Pskov? If so: is there another unit in Ulan Bator? There should be, in case the Japanese decide to attack the USSR...

Germany hasn't got his airforce in position at this moment, however: next turn the air units will be in position and than, if snow comes around it should be time for Barbarossa (even when not all German units are in position). The Germans should start in M/A to capture Eastern Poland and invade Lithuania. The turn after that, the first units should enter the USSR.

Peter

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1123
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 8:09:53 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Well. Next turn is 1941 is it? The Soviets are about 8 INF type units short of getting something of a defense together (including the reserves...). Also: Zhukov needs reinforcements in Persia too. Build INF and CAV to the maximum and start praying for the bad weather to last a very, very long time (no snow either, please...).
Is Murmansk held by two INF units by now? If not: that's the place where reserves of reinforcements should go with priority. You want to get two factories there to be used by CW resources. And retreat that GAR near Leningrad into the city, because he is alone there... Same goes for the units around Cernauti. If you want to defend the city, you have to at least double stack the place (however, I wouldn't bother, since you are so short of units for the defense of the Dneiper river).
Railmove the ART to a position further away, or put it in Sevastopol or Leningrad. It is far to slow to retreat from the Germans and will be killed at the frontlines. Now, it's only good for one bombardment...
Is that the Mongolian CAV in Pskov? If so: is there another unit in Ulan Bator? There should be, in case the Japanese decide to attack the USSR...

Germany hasn't got his airforce in position at this moment, however: next turn the air units will be in position and than, if snow comes around it should be time for Barbarossa (even when not all German units are in position). The Germans should start in M/A to capture Eastern Poland and invade Lithuania. The turn after that, the first units should enter the USSR.

I can sum things up by saying, "no, there is almost nothing where you say it should be", meaning Murmansk, Ulan Batur, etc. Zhukov has a CAV and an INF with him in Persia now. The units near Cernauti haven't had time to retreat yet, nor has the GARR near Leningrad. Only 5 moves per impulse, especially during bad weather and short turns, doesn't get much done.

In N/D '40, I had all of 2 rail moves and 10 land moves for the USSR. I know this stuff needs to get done (it's been said before), but ran out of time. I did get Odessa screened so the factory can be railed out. Other than that, I need to hope I can use my Reserves in good positions. I'd really rather not have all 3 of my Siberians on the front lines in the Baltic region, but I had no other units to use, so there they are.
-----
Edit: Siberia is just going to have to suffer. The Soviets can't defend Poland, the Baltics, Karelia, the Ukraine, Persia and Siberia. Something's got to give.

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/17/2012 8:12:30 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1124
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 8:24:16 PM   
composer99

Regarding long-range aircraft:

I view satsifactory long-range NAV and FTR as those which can reach at least the 3 section of a sea box during a naval air mission if they begin the mission in a hex adjacent to a hexdot. That is, any NAV or FTR with 7 or better range.

By that reckoning, there are three each of FTR and NAV in the CW force pools which meet this criteria. It so happens that most of the other CW FTR are useful even if they are not built (by now the Allies should realize the value of being able to stop the Stukas), and of the two NAV-2 in the force pool, the short-range one is a very strong convoy defender.

Also, the 4-range NAV-2 are good for port strikes with their high air-to-sea factors.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1125
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 8:26:40 PM   
composer99

Regarding the USSR defences:

Give Red Prince a break. The USSR starting on-map army is pitiably small, and their force pools in 1939-1941 are equally tiny.

~ Composer99

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1126
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 8:35:18 PM   
Centuur

Some people scrap INF type units by the USSR? I don't. I need even that crappy 2-1 GAR on the board as a lousy and very cheap speed bump. Same goes for the 3-3 INF. The only units I would scrap is the 3-5 MOT (I personally hate MOT's, they are expensive, use oil and use motorised movement rates) and those fighters you've scrapped. You didn't make the mistake to scrap all 3-3 INF, so I guess I should ease off on that a little bit.
On gearing limits: the USSR should have build ARM/MECH in early 1940 and INF towards the end of the year. Gearing limits on INF are too low.
However: it look like you've emptied the INF pools, that's good. For a newbie player, that's not bad at all. You're excused here...

By the way: it might be nice to rebase that 17 moving STRAT bomber south. It is very hard for the Euroaxis to defend all oil wells in the Persia/Iraq/Rumania area with FTR's... If you put the plane in the woods hex NE of the port of Sukumi (on the Black sea, just north of the mountains) the plane is in range of the oil fields in northern Iraq and Ploesti. He might even be in range for an attack on the Persian oil fields, if the Germans capture those (depends on how the unified map is looking). Nothing better than to force the Euroaxis to keep FTR's in range of those precious oil fields...
Also: there isn't a large Axis airforce in that region, so it might be nice to use a good chunk of the Russian airforce in that area, so Zhukov can prevent the movement of the Euroaxis into Persia with air support. The USSR can retreat in the West, but can't retreat in the south at all. The one thing the USSR has to prevent is that the Turks might enter the war, giving the Axis another three HQ's to be used (since two have to be in the Syrian desert to keep Axis forces in Iraq/Persia in supply, and the other one is the Turkish one). I would suggest to put the USSR reinforcements into that area, making it a good defensive position.

< Message edited by Centuur -- 1/17/2012 8:37:55 PM >

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1127
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 8:43:53 PM   
Centuur

By the way: I keep forgetting it is an early 1941 Barbarossa occuring with a closed MED and an Italian aligned Iraq. This normally doesn't happen until early 1942. Really terrible position for the USSR, since there aren't enough INF available in the force pools to put in all the necessary places. In 1942 there are usually more USSR units on the map...

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1128
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 9:48:41 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Two units in Murmansk is a waste. Yes, it would be nice to rail factories there and then receive resources from the Allies into Murmansk. But holding onto Leningrad, Moscow and Rostov are more important. Put one very weak unit in Murmansk and force the Germans to commit an HQ up there to attack it. As the USSR I would be quite happy to see an HQ and several Axis units positioned around Murmansk instead of exploiting holes in the front lines down south. Karelia isn't worth as much as Russia proper.

Using Zhukov to defend Baku also seems wasteful to me. He is too good a unit to be placed on a secondary frontline. Use one of the weaker HQs if you must have an HQ there at all. What is most important on that front is to have a solid line of infantry occupying mountain hexes. Force the Axis to attack units that are doubled in strength. Only one failed attack in an impulse should bring the Axis offense to a complete halt for the turn.

What you want is to position units to hold the defensive lines you detailed in an earlier post. Those are the best places to stop the Germans but if there are holes in the line the Germans will simply ooze through and force the Russians to either retreat or be surrounded.

Steve

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1129
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 10:10:34 PM   
Orm

Since Germany has no units at all close to Murmansk I think that USSR should leave Murmansk undefended. USSR can always place a reserve unit there, or, two, if a German invasion seem likely.

If Germany moves units towards Murmansk USSR can easily reinforce this area.

USSR will have few units to spare when Germany attacks.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 1130
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/17/2012 10:22:33 PM   
composer99

I take it there are no Finns up there? Any Finns placed to cut the rail lines to Murmansk & Archangel? If not, the USSR is good to go for the factory shipment to Murmansk.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1131
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/18/2012 5:27:31 AM   
Red Prince

RE: the last 3 posts

There's nobody in Murmansk, or near it, from either side. One of the Finnish Ski troops might be able to cut the rail line by way of the Borderlands, but I'm not sure about that yet.

The reason I chose Zhukov to send to Persia is two-fold. The USSR has 4 units coming in this turn (2 INF, 1 MOT, 1 MECH), and I'll probably use the 2 strongest of these to reinforce Baku. The others are needed in the Kiev region. However, all 4 units defending the southern border will still total less than 20 total factors, probably much less. Zhukov's 8 factors could go a long way to helping that. The second reason is that he has the highest reorganization value and mobility among the Soviet HQs. There are 3 German LND in the region already, and if these 4 defenders end up disorganized early in a turn there's a danger that they can be put OOS. Even doubled in the mountains, that's not much help. So, I figured I'd have the best chance of keeping them active by using Zhukov.

Maybe that's a wrong decision, but it explains the choice I made.

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/18/2012 5:29:01 AM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1132
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/18/2012 7:16:18 AM   
Red Prince

I've been working on my builds for this turn. It's not easy to do, since I'm trying to wait on a few things until I can scrap the crap. A suggestion was made ealier that the CW should consider building a Fort for Gibraltar. There wasn't time for it, as it turned out, but I'm thinking of building 2 with the Germans over the next few turns.

The USA is going to be in this war earlier than normal, but even if they DOW Germany and get a foot into Spain or Portugal relatively soon, they won't be able to attack Gibraltar in force for at least a year or more. I figure that if I can get Fort hexsides to the West and Northwest, then I can use my white print MTN along with another white print unit and a division of some sort to make Gibraltar almost impossible to take back. I've even considered doing something similar with Tangier (but probably won't).

The effect of all this should mean a much longer-lasting Italian force -- as long as they can hold on to the Suez. If the Allies want to take Italy out of the action, they'll have to come through France or East Africa, and that's much more difficult.

So, what do you think of the idea?

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1133
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/18/2012 8:02:06 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

I've been working on my builds for this turn. It's not easy to do, since I'm trying to wait on a few things until I can scrap the crap. A suggestion was made ealier that the CW should consider building a Fort for Gibraltar. There wasn't time for it, as it turned out, but I'm thinking of building 2 with the Germans over the next few turns.

The USA is going to be in this war earlier than normal, but even if they DOW Germany and get a foot into Spain or Portugal relatively soon, they won't be able to attack Gibraltar in force for at least a year or more. I figure that if I can get Fort hexsides to the West and Northwest, then I can use my white print MTN along with another white print unit and a division of some sort to make Gibraltar almost impossible to take back. I've even considered doing something similar with Tangier (but probably won't).

The effect of all this should mean a much longer-lasting Italian force -- as long as they can hold on to the Suez. If the Allies want to take Italy out of the action, they'll have to come through France or East Africa, and that's much more difficult.

If Germany can take out the USSR, it is game over. Just imagine the entire Wehrmacht defending in France and the Lowlands. The Allies just don't have enough units to invade and drive them back. The Euro-Axis will have tons of BPs and Oil.

All BPs should be spent on offensive weapons. If you can't find ways to spend the BPs right now, an extra O Chit would be nice to have.

Steve

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1134
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/18/2012 9:03:19 AM   
Red Prince

And here it is, my End of Turn Report for N/D '40:

Partisans
No Partisans

Entry Markers
USSR placed 1 marker on Defense (252 [2])
Germany placed 2 markers on Offense (218 [2], 76 [1])

US Entry
USA drew 1 marker to the Ja Entry Pool (51 [1])
USA chooses no Entry Options

Ge/It Entry: 33
Ge/It Tension: 22
Japan Entry: 30
Japan Tension: 21

Pre-Build Scrapping
None

Builds:
China (0): Nothing
CW (19): 2 x INF, 1 x MIL, 1 x FTR-3, 3 x CV(2nd), 1 x Pilot
France (0): Nothing
USA (20): 1 x MAR Division, 1 x ASW Carrier(1st), 2 x TRS(1st), 2 x LND-3, 1 x BB(1st), 2 x Pilot
USSR (17): 1 x INF, 1 x PARA, 1 x PARA Division, 1 x MECH Division, 1 x LND-4
Germany (19): 3 x MIL, 1 x ARM, 2 x SUB(1st), 1 x NAV-3, 1 x Pilot
Italy (11): 3 x TERR, 1 x BB(Repair), 1 x SUB(2nd), 1 x Pilot
Japan (15): 3 x INF, 1 x Convoy, 1 x NAV-3, 1 x Pilot

J/F '41 Gearing Limits (above 1):
China: None
CW: 4 x Infantry, 4 x Ship, 2 x Air, 2 x Pilot
France: None
USA: 2 x Infantry, 5 x Ship, 3 x Air, 3 x Pilot
USSR: 4 x Infantry, 2 x Armor, 2 x Air
Germany: 4 x Infantry, 2 x Armor, 3 x Submarine, 2 x Air, 2 x Pilot
Italy: 4 x Infantry, 2 x Ship, 2 x Submarine, 2 x Pilot
Japan: 4 x Infantry, 2 x Ship, 2 x Air, 2 x Pilot

Conquest:
Kuwait cc by Italy
Allies Support Mozambique; USE-10 (no chit)

China Declined to Surrender to Japan

Factory Destruction:
None

Reinforcements:
CW scrapped 2 x ASW Escort, 1 x SUB
CW assigns Pilots to 2 CVP
CW places MIL in Montreal, TRS in Halifax, INF in Bombay, INF and 2 CVP in Bristol
USA scrapped 1 x CVP-1
USA assigns Pilots to 2 x CVP and 2 x NAV
USA places NAV in Long Beach, NAV in LA, 2 CVP and MTN in SD
USSR assigns Pilot to FTR
USSR places FTR in Leningrad, CP in Sevastapol, MECH and MOT in Dneptropetrovsk, CP and 2 INF in Baku
Germany assigns Pilot to FTR
Germany places its MIL in Magdeburg, Berlin and Stettin, INF in Breslau, FTR, HQ-A Rommel and MECH in Konigsberg, SUB in Kiel
Germany removes CVP from map
Italy scrapped 2 x CVP-1, 1 x LND-3
Italy assigns Pilot to NAV
Italy places MIL in Baghdad, TERR in Ethiopia, Oran, Damascus, NAV in Palermo
Japan scrapped 2 x FTR-2, 2 x LND-2
Japan assigns Pilots to 2 CVP
Japan places INF, AMPH, 2 CVP in Tokyo
Japan removes CVP from map

Lend-Lease
USA lent FTR-2 Kittyhawk to CW
CW lent 2 x FTR-2 to USSR
Germany lent LND-2 to Italy

Trade Agreements:
No Changes

Victory Totals
Axis: 33
Allies: 34

Initiative:
Allies win Initiative 11-3
Allies choose not to move first in J/F '41

Turn 9 J/F '41

Allies win Initiative 11-3
Allies choose not to move first in J/F '41
+1 Allied Initiative

Impulse: 1
Weather: 12
(See the next post for the nasty winter ahead)
-----
Believe it or not, I haven't got much to say about this last turn of 1940. There were only 4 total impulses, so not much was accomplished on either side. The USA moved its SUB fleet to Pago Pago, but that was probably the most noteworthy event of the turn. Wavell is in Mozambique, The Soviets and Germans are both still unprepared for war. China survives.

Take a look at the weather in the next post, and I think you'll understand why Germany isn't going to make a winter DOW at this point. All it would do is help the USA enter the war earlier and increase the Soviet Force Pools by adding MIL. Yes, Germany can break the Pact, but there is no real benefit in doing it now. If the weather looks nice in M/A '41, maybe I'll start the war then.

As a side note, the Italian transports are now available to get 2 of those German units from Gabes to Beirut, something they were not available for last turn.
-----
So, at the beginning of January, 1941, here is what the world looks like:

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 1135
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/18/2012 9:05:34 AM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

If Germany can take out the USSR, it is game over. Just imagine the entire Wehrmacht defending in France and the Lowlands. The Allies just don't have enough units to invade and drive them back. The Euro-Axis will have tons of BPs and Oil.

All BPs should be spent on offensive weapons. If you can't find ways to spend the BPs right now, an extra O Chit would be nice to have.

I'm not yet convinced that the USSR will go down so easily. Barbarossa could start now, but I don't think it should. Not only can the Germans do very little damage, but they probably can't even move very far into Poland. Check out the new weather roll (2nd J/F in a row starting on a '12' roll):

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 1136
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/18/2012 1:27:29 PM   
Centuur

Blizzard and DoW'ing the USSR? Not done. I suggest waiting until it's only snowing. That is the impulse you might consider DoW'ing the USSR, if the airforce is in place. If not, you can affort to wait a turn.

Peter

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1137
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/18/2012 2:33:25 PM   
composer99

It looks like the Red Army forces facing Germany will still be out of position by the time war begins with short turns and bad weather slowing down their repositioning.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1138
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/18/2012 3:14:54 PM   
brian brian

[why should there be a USE roll for Allies supporting Mozambique?]

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1139
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/18/2012 3:17:36 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

[why should there be a USE roll for Allies supporting Mozambique?]

I was puzzled by this at first. But then I realized the Mozambique is the new Home Country for Portugal. I'm pretty sure that's why there was an Allied Support roll.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 1140
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI