Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Isolating Axis spearheads

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Isolating Axis spearheads Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Isolating Axis spearheads - 11/9/2011 2:15:17 AM   
Hoooper

It seems to me that the main tactical dilemma facing the Soviets during the early war is whether to isolate the Wehrmacht's spearheads or move what you can eastwards to reform your line. My experience so far is that the more aggressive option only works if you're in a position to trade blows with the Germans; otherwise your counter attacking forces (usually armour and cavalry) will be cut off themselves, and the Panzers that you isolated, having suffered nothing more than a minor inconvenience, press on towards your factories. I wonder what other players' experiences have been.
Post #: 1
RE: Isolating Axis spearheads - 11/9/2011 2:49:46 PM   
bwheatley

That is pretty much it. If you cut off a german unit 9 times out of 10 whatever you commit to that is dead. Just be prepared to not be upset when you get those units killed.

-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's WAW mod
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's GPW mod
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to Hoooper)
Post #: 2
RE: Isolating Axis spearheads - 11/9/2011 10:04:29 PM   
FredSanford3

OTOH, throwing the panzers out of supply, even with just a ZOC isolation that is broken the next turn, makes them miss at least one logistics cycle.  This results in fewer MP's, higher attrition, higher fatigue, unrepaired damaged vehicles and I think possible morale loss.  I almost never decline an opportunity to cut off spearheads.  If you can do it repeatedly, it will rapidly erode the panzer force.  Yeah, those units involved are usually lost, but in terms of one early rifle division's ability to have a strategic impact, this is pretty much the most bang for the buck you'll get out of your soon-to-be-dead early units anyhow.

Anything to get in the panzer's way and be a PITA in general is a good thing for the Russians.  Just don't overcommit.

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 3
RE: Isolating Axis spearheads - 11/9/2011 10:28:06 PM   
heliodorus04

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz

OTOH, throwing the panzers out of supply, even with just a ZOC isolation that is broken the next turn, makes them miss at least one logistics cycle.  This results in fewer MP's, higher attrition, higher fatigue, unrepaired damaged vehicles and I think possible morale loss.  I almost never decline an opportunity to cut off spearheads.  If you can do it repeatedly, it will rapidly erode the panzer force.  Yeah, those units involved are usually lost, but in terms of one early rifle division's ability to have a strategic impact, this is pretty much the most bang for the buck you'll get out of your soon-to-be-dead early units anyhow.

Anything to get in the panzer's way and be a PITA in general is a good thing for the Russians.  Just don't overcommit.

Just to cover this from an Axis perspective, I have found that it is a huge benefit to the Germans to ensure panzer divisions do not get cut off. As Nimitz points out, when you miss your start-of-turn logistics/replacement/refit step, you lose an entire turn's worth of recovery. As I've focused on not letting this happen (unless a truly worthy prize requires, like crossing the Dnepr), my pace of operations more than makes up for the occasional extra hexes that I cannot reach.

Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders

(in reply to FredSanford3)
Post #: 4
RE: Isolating Axis spearheads - 11/10/2011 4:02:49 PM   
Hoooper

Ah, I didn't know that - serves me right for never playing the Germans. So, as you might expect, it's a judgment call. I tend to look at the fuel indicator on the mobile unit, in the belief that a red division will be more affected by isolation than a green one. Is that actually true, though?

(in reply to heliodorus04)
Post #: 5
RE: Isolating Axis spearheads - 11/10/2011 4:55:18 PM   
heliodorus04

I would never read the fuel or supply status indicator on an enemy unit and read useful information from it.  It's simply a gas guage, and in tells you nothing about their expected performance (or movement allowance). 

Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders

(in reply to Hoooper)
Post #: 6
RE: Isolating Axis spearheads - 11/10/2011 8:00:15 PM   
Hoooper

Bummer

(in reply to heliodorus04)
Post #: 7
RE: Isolating Axis spearheads - 11/11/2011 1:12:11 AM   
mmarquo

Especially when the Axis player is chaining HQ supply...the indicator means nothing for the upcoming move.

(in reply to Hoooper)
Post #: 8
RE: Isolating Axis spearheads - 11/11/2011 4:02:36 AM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz

If you just cut of an HQ that got a build up that turn your in for a nasty surpise the next 2 turns after they got back in normal supply, ask Flaviusx. Its like a big supply dump waiting to get used the following 2 turns.

I chian HQ's so when a spearhead gets cut off, its a good thing in the long run.

(in reply to FredSanford3)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Isolating Axis spearheads Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI