Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Unity of Command Series >> RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/20/2011 1:33:29 AM   
LarryP

I'm a tooltip fanatic. If a game does not incorporate tooltips, I won't buy it. This game has the pattern for all other developers to go by for tooltips. They are perfect. Pop up information galore, smooth, pretty, and detailed. The menus work just as perfect too. This is the best interface for functionality I've bought in a game.

I've finished the tutorial, Introductory scenario, and am on the next scenario now (can't remember the name, starts with a V). I've looked through the manual, and thanks for NOT making the background a bunch of junk that gamers won't want to print. Standard white background which is great for printing if need be. Manual looks great. Very informative so far but I've not looked at every page yet.

Kudos on the tutorial too. This is one of the few tutorials that is a pleasure to do. There is an option to go back, and also to reload so you can try things over again as much as you like. Very thoughtful with the gamer in mind.

Everything I have seen to this point looks wonderful and works flawless. Now back to my "V" something scenario...

< Message edited by LarryP -- 11/20/2011 1:36:51 AM >

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 31
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/20/2011 1:58:04 AM   
Grim.Reaper

Thanks for making resisting this game harder Larry!

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 32
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/20/2011 4:21:42 AM   
CarnageINC

Hmmm....My interest has been peeked.....This does need further looking into guys  

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 33
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/20/2011 11:19:44 AM   
2xPelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

The interface is a joy by the way

You are getting me closer to pulling the trigger. I'm just not sure about those figurines / busts? I really prefer Nato Symbols...

There are Modders in Design and Modding section trying to incorporate Nato Symbols (or others) instead of busts.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2952767

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 34
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/20/2011 3:33:25 PM   
Javolenus

I bought the game. First impressions are very favourable. I think the game does offer a better single-player challenge than Panzer Corps. I found it easy to jump right into the game with only a brief glance at the manual to check on a few details. The overall design, as well as the graphics and sound, make for an engrossing game--good work!

(in reply to 2xPelin)
Post #: 35
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/21/2011 4:35:15 AM   
gradenko2k

I would very much recommend UOC - not only is the interface slicker than an oiled pig, the AI can be brutal and the it has a far more useful (I won't say accurate/realistic) representation of supply than Panzer Corps/General does, without getting mired in the micromanagement of War in the East.

The only "drawback" of UOC is that being limited to the Stalingrad campaign means there isn't nearly enough of it!

(in reply to Javolenus)
Post #: 36
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/21/2011 2:02:22 PM   
ComradeP

It's difficult to compare the game to Panzer Corps because Panzer Corps (the original version, they're trying some new things with the DLC) is Panzer General++, whilst Unity of Command is a title that, whilst not 100% original, has no direct link to another title.

You can see the links between Panzer Corps and Panzer General in AI behaviour, although the menace of the AI building walls of the cheapest units has been somewhat contained. In Unity of Command, the AI normally tries to disrupt your operations through its own actions, instead of placing as many units between you and the objective as possible. That alone is, in my opinion, a significant improvement over similar games.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 37
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/21/2011 4:16:18 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

I bought Panzer Corp because I played Panzer Gerneral to death when it came out. Hours on end spent in that game.
Panzer Corp is a great redo of Panzer General.... but it's the same..... this is both good and bad.

I also played PG to death, until I got sick of it. Specifically I really disliked air units just flying around turn after turn, rather than air missions and rebasing. Since Panzer Corps retains this annoying feature, I pass. UoC has simple air strikes for allocation each turn, which is fine.

UoC reminds me more of the old OSG PanzerKrieg boardgame (which I also played to death), with its limited operational scenarios in southern Russia. And that's also fine. I'm more interested in playing the meat & potatoes scenarios, and not so much into these newer "campaign" games where you mess around with core units and experience and such from one scenario to the next. Of course, PanzerKrieg had traditional unit stacking and odds-based CRT combat, so UoC requires a different kind of orchestrating maneuver and combat a la PG, but that's interesting too in its own way.

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 38
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/26/2011 9:40:37 AM   
sbdb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Javolenus

I did buy Panzer Corps but stopped playing on Day One because the AI offers no significant challenge (I prefer to play games in single-player mode).

C'mon....sigh, spare me. You don't buy a $40 game just to stop playing after one day when you're still trying to understand how everything works, not to mention that this game gets seriously difficult after the easy start and especially on higher levels. If the single player is that easy, then explain to me why most die hard players seem to prefer the single player according to discussions in the forum?

It's very clear that you just grabbed an illegal copy, otherwise you would have made a much more serious effort.

To the original poster; why are you asking on the Unity of Command forum which one is better, that's just as pointless as asking on a BMW forum about BMW vs Audi.

Btw, I like both games.

< Message edited by sbdb -- 11/26/2011 9:41:48 AM >

(in reply to Javolenus)
Post #: 39
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/26/2011 12:26:13 PM   
Javolenus

Hi sbdb,

You accuse me of grabbing an illegal copy of Panzer Corps--a crime of which I am innocent, as my Matrix Account records will prove.

I stopped playing Panzer Corps because I found that the AI didn't offer a significant challenge--nothing unusual in that. But I take your point about giving up on the game prematurely--maybe I'll go back to it and try again.

As for wasting $40 on a game, well, sadly, in my experience, there's nothing unusual in that either . . .

< Message edited by Javolenus -- 11/26/2011 12:41:17 PM >

(in reply to sbdb)
Post #: 40
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/26/2011 12:59:20 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: sbdb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Javolenus

I did buy Panzer Corps but stopped playing on Day One because the AI offers no significant challenge (I prefer to play games in single-player mode).

C'mon....sigh, spare me. You don't buy a $40 game just to stop playing after one day when you're still trying to understand how everything works, not to mention that this game gets seriously difficult after the easy start and especially on higher levels. If the single player is that easy, then explain to me why most die hard players seem to prefer the single player according to discussions in the forum?

It's very clear that you just grabbed an illegal copy, otherwise you would have made a much more serious effort.

To the original poster; why are you asking on the Unity of Command forum which one is better, that's just as pointless as asking on a BMW forum about BMW vs Audi.

Btw, I like both games.

I don't actually know what made you think accusing people of using illegal copies of games (just because they couldn't be bothered putting a little more effort in) was right - but it most certainly isn't.

I've had plenty of games that I couldn't get into and shelved on day one or soon after...and none of them were illegal copies.

Perhaps you need a break from the forums to analyse how you're going to interact with people?

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to sbdb)
Post #: 41
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/26/2011 1:54:43 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: sbdb

In your opinion, where should he have posted this question?

I think there have been some pretty honest and varied posts on both sides. That's what I like about the Matrix forums.

(in reply to sbdb)
Post #: 42
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/26/2011 5:06:42 PM   
Alan Sharif

I must confess I am no fan of Panzer General and downloaded the Pz Corps demo just to check. It does not appeal to me but each to their own. I was concerned this title might be Pz Corps and would doubtless have started this thread if it were not here already. I am planning to buy a couple of titles to play over Xmas/New Year and this thread has ensured this title will be one of them. Thanks for all the comments.

< Message edited by Alan Sharif -- 11/26/2011 5:08:01 PM >

A Sharif

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 43
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 12/25/2011 4:36:55 AM   
lparkh

The AI is very sophisticated in this game. More than in PC. I can beat PC pretty handily (though admittedly I have a lot of PG experience) at General level. But the first campaign scenario in this game is very challenging due to the AI. Like an earlier poster said, I watch the AI and think "man that's just right..going for just the right hex....AARRGH!"
This game is going to take some time to learn. Like the Armchair General review said it is not beer and pretzels even if it is very simple in its mechanics.
Honestly at the moment I'm a bit intimidated by the AI... I plead a head cold though

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Unity of Command Series >> RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI