Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  441 442 [443] 444 445   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 1:48:55 AM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Nicely said, Leo.

What's surprising to me is how *low* the rate of gun-related homicide is in the US. For a country awash in guns (almost one gun per capita here), we've a low-moderate *rate* associated with it. Access has never been equal to use here, something that is a confounder for many, but does trace itself back to our 'citizen militia' roots.

What I don't like about those statistics is, that they always ignore all those countless cases where guns protected someone. I think I've read about 5.000 or 6.000 cases of use of firearms for self-protection each day in the us.

Oh, bullsh!t, sir! Ive heard of those cases too and I highly doubt that they are as usual as you seem to think. Of course there have been cases where some lowlife had broken into a home and found himself looking down the barrel of a gun. I have no doubt of that. On the flip side of that equation, however, is the reality that when facing a situation of that sort, most people would hide or not resist if faced with an unknown number of possibly armed intruders rather than get into a shootout in their own house and risk harm to themselves and their family.

What is much, much more usual are cases of people who are either too drunk or too stupid to follow simple safety instructions who blow away themselves, their buddies or, very sadly, their children in accidental discharges. There was one such case in LI right before we left where the unfortunate nincompoop was a 10 year veteran of the NYPD and the victim was his 4 year old daughter.

I doubt that 5 to 6k means "5 to 6k times shots were fired". I defenitly also means all those cases, where someone showed the thug his gun and the thug decided to look for another victim and live to see it.

Regarding a higher criminal rate than in Europe and around 305 to 310 million people, 5 to 6k per day doesn't seem that far off.

And of course. Too many people never recieve proper training with guns while owning one. Their children find them and play with them, they are drunk or they decide to shoot the "intruder" without warning - to find their own son lying in his blood after sneaking in from a party.
But as you are well aware, I fiercly oppose a government that usurps power to protect its people from themselves.

I was in the army, and we got almost beaten up when we held the finger on the trigger without intending to shoot, or when we pointed a gun - even an empty one - on a person. You should follow such basic rules when you own one. But some people too stupd for that doesn't justify disarming all those who are law abiding and responsible.

At least, you don't seem to plan that anyweay.

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 13261
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 1:50:09 AM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It is easy to get the public transportation competitive by subsidizing it with the taxpayer's money. This way, all have to pay for the convinience of a few.

Well, duh! Its not very likely that the commuters themselves would be able to foot the entire bill. Besides that, the idea is to expand the commuter transport network to such levels that car commuters willingly switch to public transit, thus reducing both traffic levels and emissions. Unfortunately, I think the LA public transit system is still very, very far from that.

Well, you can take money and create a market that wasn't there. This way, you destroy other markets with the money of all. You know how I think about that...

I am thinking for quite a while to buy a free space in my home city and turn it into a parking lot. This is only worth considering, because people commute by car and need cars.

So wehn you take tax money to fund a public transportation, you'll hurt other parts of the economy quite a lot. Gas stations will have less revenue, car dealers will sell less cars, parking lot owners won't be able to sell the places to commuters, garages would have less to repair - and so on.
So by taking your and my money to artificially create the demand - that obviously doesn't exist right now - for a public transportation, you destroy businesses and jobs.

Oh you.....ok, not only will no private enterprise be able to afford a project of this scale without the involvement of state and federal governments but urban planning is the business of government-level involvement. You can contract private firms all day to do the dirty work but the ultimate responsibility lies with elected officials. If you then want to sublet individual aspects of operation, like maintenance or trash removal to private companies, thats worthy of consideration, but again, the ultimate responsibility lies with local, state and federal elected officials.

But government is evil!

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

Post #: 13262
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 1:55:18 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

But as you are well aware, I fiercly oppose a government that usurps power to protect its people from themselves.

Now there is something we can both agree on.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 13263
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 1:56:27 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

But government is evil!

No, government is stupid, slow and nearsighted. Corporations are evil.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 13264
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 1:59:24 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm having trouble rationalizing Federal assistance / subsidies for Los Angeles train systems. Then again, I'm a Federalist. I *might* agree to subsidize a rail spur for Los Angelinos if the terminus ends in a 30' drop into the Pacific though...

Simple, its in the federal government's direct interest to revitalize and expand the public transit network all over the US. Not only will this have a direct impact on our national fossil fuels dependency, but it will also reduce the strain on the national highway system which is the direct responsibility of the federal government.

Yes-INTERstate transit and transportation is very important for the Federal government to subsidize. Local stuff like LA (only) subway and the aforementioned high speed rail system? I don't think that presents the critical case.

So you dont see the connection between trucks hauling stuff from TX to CA getting stuck in gridlock around San Bernardino onward and the reduction of traffic load on LA area roads by a thorough, well-planned and constructed commuter transit system?

In your tenuous example, I would choose to have the truckers' route delayed in preference to my taxes being used for that.

Plus, it's California, right? What are the odds of there EVER being a thorough, well-planned and (well) constructed commuter transit system. I don't need that kind of boondoggle on my conscience. It'd make the "Bridge to Nowhere" look like a kid's plaything.

Post #: 13265
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 2:01:02 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It is easy to get the public transportation competitive by subsidizing it with the taxpayer's money. This way, all have to pay for the convinience of a few.

Well, duh! Its not very likely that the commuters themselves would be able to foot the entire bill. Besides that, the idea is to expand the commuter transport network to such levels that car commuters willingly switch to public transit, thus reducing both traffic levels and emissions. Unfortunately, I think the LA public transit system is still very, very far from that.

Well, you can take money and create a market that wasn't there. This way, you destroy other markets with the money of all. You know how I think about that...

I am thinking for quite a while to buy a free space in my home city and turn it into a parking lot. This is only worth considering, because people commute by car and need cars.

So wehn you take tax money to fund a public transportation, you'll hurt other parts of the economy quite a lot. Gas stations will have less revenue, car dealers will sell less cars, parking lot owners won't be able to sell the places to commuters, garages would have less to repair - and so on.
So by taking your and my money to artificially create the demand - that obviously doesn't exist right now - for a public transportation, you destroy businesses and jobs.

Oh you.....ok, not only will no private enterprise be able to afford a project of this scale without the involvement of state and federal governments but urban planning is the business of government-level involvement. You can contract private firms all day to do the dirty work but the ultimate responsibility lies with elected officials. If you then want to sublet individual aspects of operation, like maintenance or trash removal to private companies, thats worthy of consideration, but again, the ultimate responsibility lies with local, state and federal elected officials.

Torsten's on the right track with this one. The airlines that do bang-up shuttle business between NoCal and SoCal have got to be fuming about this. Taxpayers are on the hook for $90B to subsidize competition for the airlines. Nobody benefits. Lots of people lose.

Post #: 13266
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 2:02:45 AM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

So why did you support the soda ban in NYC?

Or to quote the great Ron Swanson:

“The whole point of this country is if you want to eat garbage, balloon up to 600 pounds, and die of a heart attack at 43, you can! You are free to do so! To me, that’s beautiful.”

Post #: 13267
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 2:03:55 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

But government is evil!

And commies. Commies too.

Post #: 13268
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 2:04:18 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

In your tenuous example, I would choose to have the truckers' route delayed in preference to my taxes being used for that.

Plus, it's California, right? What are the odds of there EVER being a thorough, well-planned and (well) constructed commuter transit system. I don't need that kind of boondoggle on my conscience. It'd make the "Bridge to Nowhere" look like a kid's plaything.

Luckily, you dont need to carry such national scale burdens on your chicken-sized shoulders.

Sadly, I think youre probably right about the boondoggle part. Doent mean the system is any less needed, though.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 13269
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 2:06:48 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Luckily, you dont need to carry such national scale burdens on your chicken-sized shoulders.

Sadly, I think youre probably right about the boondoggle part. Doent mean the system is any less needed, though.

You're right about the need. California is desperately in need of effective governance. Instead, they just got a supermajority and a numbskull governor. When Governor moonbeam is the alleged 'moderate' in the crowd, you've got some real big problems.

Post #: 13270
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 2:07:05 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Torsten's on the right track with this one. The airlines that do bang-up shuttle business between NoCal and SoCal have got to be fuming about this. Taxpayers are on the hook for $90B to subsidize competition for the airlines. Nobody benefits. Lots of people lose.

Airlines themselves are subsidized up the ying yang, so thats a case of the pot and the kettle. But that aside, again, I agree that this should not be a state-level expenditure because tax payers in Sacramento could not possibly care less about commuter rail in LA, just as I dont care about theirs.

It should, however, be a federal-level matter.

< Message edited by Onime No Kyo -- 11/25/2012 2:12:25 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 13271
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 2:08:27 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

So why did you support the soda ban in NYC?

Or to quote the great Ron Swanson:

“The whole point of this country is if you want to eat garbage, balloon up to 600 pounds, and die of a heart attack at 43, you can! You are free to do so! To me, that’s beautiful.”

I didnt. I just happen to agree with Bloomy that NYers are a bunch of lard @sses.

I supported the soda tax in NY state...which didnt pass.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 13272
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 2:08:51 AM   
Chickenboy

Alright, comrade. I'm out. No turns in my inbox , so I'm off to take in a movie with the Mrs. Peace yo. Dre out.

Post #: 13273
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 2:08:57 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

But government is evil!

Commies are a great bunch of guys. You just havent met any.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 13274
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 2:10:36 AM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

every intervention prevents the flow of the market.

Yes, Interstates may only be built by the government (I doubt that, though), but by building them with tax money, it is possible to drive from Raleigh to Miami in one day. Great, right?

Well, this way, the taxes of the airlines are used to prevent me using them as a more efficiant way to bridge that distane.
This way, the hotel's taxes is used to prevent me from needing a place to rest for the night.

Why can't the market decide whether we need overland roads, or public transportation?
Don't you think an entrepreneur would immeadiatly creat dozends of bus lines, if they were worth running them by the demand? Why is it needed to waste tax money, which had to be robbed from those who now worked without payment first, on forcing something on the people who didn't show a demand for that by themselves?

Post #: 13275
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 2:11:02 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

You're right about the need. California is desperately in need of effective governance. Instead, they just got a supermajority and a numbskull governor. When Governor moonbeam is the alleged 'moderate' in the crowd, you've got some real big problems.

Havent had any effective governance here since Ronny moved on to Washington and I wasnt even here to be able to compare. Its just that it seems to me that many, if not most of the truly useful things built and implemented in the LA area seem to date back from him.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 13276
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 2:12:39 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Alright, comrade. I'm out. No turns in my inbox , so I'm off to take in a movie with the Mrs. Peace yo. Dre out.

Yeah, we'll be on our way to SaMo shortly ourselves. I'll say hi to the PCH for you.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 13277
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 2:12:40 AM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But government is evil!

Commies are evil! Rather a prostate exam twice a day than being forced to live in a commie world!

Post #: 13278
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 2:13:27 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, Interstates may only be built by the government (I doubt that, though), but by building them with tax money, it is possible to drive from Raleigh to Miami in one day. Great, right?

Well, this way, the taxes of the airlines are used to prevent me using them as a more efficiant way to bridge that distane.
This way, the hotel's taxes is used to prevent me from needing a place to rest for the night.

Why can't the market decide whether we need overland roads, or public transportation?
Don't you think an entrepreneur would immeadiatly creat dozends of bus lines, if they were worth running them by the demand? Why is it needed to waste tax money, which had to be robbed from those who now worked without payment first, on forcing something on the people who didn't show a demand for that by themselves?

You just love being categorical and uncompromising, dont you?

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 13279
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 2:16:17 AM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You just love being categorical and uncompromising, dont you?

I just hate government intervention and everybody messing with the free market! And I hate taxes to the bone! The notion that the government has a higher claim to the fruits of my work then I have makes me furious!

Post #: 13280
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 2:27:49 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But government is evil!

Commies are evil! Rather a prostate exam twice a day than being forced to live in a commie world!

You probably havent met any either. I think you met some hippies who said they were commies, but its just not the same.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 13281
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 2:28:18 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

the government has a higher claim to the fruits of my work then I have makes me furious!

Thats certainly one way of looking at it.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 13282
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 2:48:49 AM   
Onime No Kyo

The bird disapproves of you.

Post #: 13283
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 4:20:45 AM   
Historiker

quote:

The bird disapproves of you.

That I don't want to be a part-time slave?

Post #: 13284
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 4:33:17 AM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And I have to return to wintery Germany in a few days

Already?

The plane leaves 12/5

Darn.

Well, you had a good run. Whats awaiting you in Deutchland?

unemployment, cold weather, socialism

Post #: 13285
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 5:38:27 AM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And I have to return to wintery Germany in a few days

Already?

The plane leaves 12/5

I know your time here has not yet ended, but how would you rate your experience, Herr Historiker? Still looking to emigrate Deutschland?

Yes, I am. Despite the election, this is still a place far more attractive to me.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 13286
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 9:37:57 AM   
sprior

Hey, Yankee dogs, are you wimping out with scenario 1 or man up with scenario 2?

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 13287
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 10:26:22 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 13288
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 10:33:47 AM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Hey, Yankee dogs, are you wimping out with scenario 1 or man up with scenario 2?

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 13289
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/25/2012 12:42:40 PM   
Grollub

Lazy sunday tithe.

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 13290
Page:   <<   < prev  441 442 [443] 444 445   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  441 442 [443] 444 445   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI