Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  666 667 [668] 669 670   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/21/2013 8:42:48 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: goodboyladdie

Blimey! Who have you pissed off? What will they have you working on down there?

Don't even think about using as an excuse not to send turns...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

Found out today that I'm heading to the Falklands next year for four months.

I don't know who I've annoyed, but it can't be that bad or I'd have been going to Bastion or KAF. Or Minad. Anywhere hot and sandy really. As long as I've read my assignment order properly and understood it, I'll not be working on the planes.

It's not a surprise, 9 years and I've not done a four month det yet. Many years ago, a visit to the Southern Hemisphere was on my goal list. It's sort of a shame that I went to the Falklands (and Brazil) and crossed it off.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to goodboyladdie)
Post #: 20011
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/21/2013 8:43:20 PM   
Dixie

South Atlantic UNP!

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20012
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/21/2013 9:04:14 PM   
sprior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

This from press.nz.co:

WALLACE, Desmond James - Of Wanaka, passed away at Dunstan Hospital, Clyde, on June 7, 2013, aged 54. Dearly loved partner of Joanne Sands, cherished father of Daniel, and his partner Rhi, loved brother and brother-in-law of Robyn and Dave, Barry and Mary Anne, and Deborah, best mate of Peter, Kathy, and the late Sides, and beloved master of Dixie, Zach and Macy. A memorial Service for Des will be held at Wanaka Districts Club, 45 Plantation Road, Wanaka on Tuesday June 11, at 2.00 p.m. Donations to the Wanaka Cancer Society may be left at the service. Messages to 97 Plantation Road, Wanaka 9305.
Lovingly cared for by:
Affinity Funerals
Central Otago & Lakes District F.D.A.N.Z

The world has lost a gentleman.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20013
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/21/2013 10:41:31 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I'm working VASS (Visiting Aircraft Support Section) which mainly involves dealing with the non-local aircraft like the airbridge or visitors from other places.

Argentinian A-4s?

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20014
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/21/2013 10:43:53 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: goodboyladdie

Blimey! Who have you pissed off? What will they have you working on down there?

Don't even think about using as an excuse not to send turns...

quote:

I don't know who I've annoyed, but it can't be that bad or I'd have been going to Bastion or KAF. Or Minad. Anywhere hot and sandy really. As long as I've read my assignment order properly and understood it, I'll not be working on the planes.

It's not a surprise, 9 years and I've not done a four month det yet. Many years ago, a visit to the Southern Hemisphere was on my goal list. It's sort of a shame that I went to the Falklands (and Brazil) and crossed it off.

I don't want to queer the deal, but aren't you gonna miss the wee one something fierce?

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20015
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/21/2013 10:58:44 PM   
Dixie

quote:

I don't want to queer the deal, but aren't you gonna miss the wee one something fierce?

Yes However, the RAF seem quite keen for me to go and I don't get a huge amount of say in the matter. Unless I persuade them that I will somehow be a burden to them (beyond my usual) then I'm going. I won't be the first and I won't be the last in this situation. My Dad used to be away for 5-6 months at a time when I was a wee un, that was part of his job. I suspect Simon has done many months away from his tribe as well.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20016
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/21/2013 11:05:15 PM   
Schanilec

CB,
In few hours, it looks like the cities are in line for a good pounding.

Stay safe man.

Night.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to goodboyladdie)
Post #: 20017
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/21/2013 11:10:49 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Yes However, the RAF seem quite keen for me to go and I don't get a huge amount of say in the matter. Unless I persuade them that I will somehow be a burden to them (beyond my usual) then I'm going. I won't be the first and I won't be the last in this situation. My Dad used to be away for 5-6 months at a time when I was a wee un, that was part of his job. I suspect Simon has done many months away from his tribe as well.

Yeah, I know. Goes with the territory and all. Still...ugh.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20018
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/21/2013 11:11:21 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

CB,
In few hours, it looks like the cities are in line for a good pounding.

Stay safe man.

Night.

Flash flood warnings abound. Which is good, cuz we haven't had nearly enough rain.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 20019
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/21/2013 11:59:59 PM   
Terminus

All over the place. Up in Canada, large parts of the province of Alberta is under water.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20020
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 10:14:26 AM   
Dixie

quote:

quote:

quote:

It goes with the territory, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. In common with most of the RAF, I would have loved to do a det a few years back but it wasn't my turn and I didn't have much experience. Now I've got the experience but I've picked up a family along the way. Grin and bear it, four months can go quickly even if the actual days crawl by. It's said that there are two options for the Falklands get fit (at the gym) or get fat (at the bar). Seeing as I don't drink that leaves one option... The problem there is that I get easily bored at the gym.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20021
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 11:37:25 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20022
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 11:40:47 AM   
Apollo11

quote:

I received some very sad news today from Des' wife. He lost his fight against his cancer and passed away in hospital on June 7th.

I'll miss you, old buddy. Rest in peace.

Text follows:
Hi all,

Hi Chickenboy
This is mrs divepac
this is the only way that i can currently work out in getting in contact with you.
I'm really sorry to let you know this way, but divepac(aka des wallace) passed away on the 7th june in the local hospital. His cancer got the better of him. He had his head with him right to the end and was not in any pain as he slipped away from me. He did not suffer at all. All I am trying to remember now is he is at peace and not in any pain or discomfort. Anyway I'm really sorry to let you find out this way. Please pass this info onto your fellow game players inwhich he most enjoyed playing.

Oh Des...

Rest in peace dear Thread brother... we will all sorely miss you...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20023
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 11:42:40 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

This from press.nz.co:

WALLACE, Desmond James - Of Wanaka, passed away at Dunstan Hospital, Clyde, on June 7, 2013, aged 54. Dearly loved partner of Joanne Sands, cherished father of Daniel, and his partner Rhi, loved brother and brother-in-law of Robyn and Dave, Barry and Mary Anne, and Deborah, best mate of Peter, Kathy, and the late Sides, and beloved master of Dixie, Zach and Macy. A memorial Service for Des will be held at Wanaka Districts Club, 45 Plantation Road, Wanaka on Tuesday June 11, at 2.00 p.m. Donations to the Wanaka Cancer Society may be left at the service. Messages to 97 Plantation Road, Wanaka 9305.
Lovingly cared for by:
Affinity Funerals

Unfortunately he didn't cheat the death the 2nd time around...

Fair winds Des!

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20024
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 11:48:19 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

quote:

Martin, what time of year (i.e. what season down there)?

BTW, servicing tankers for the Eurofighters?

Leo "Apollo11"

If I go in March it'll be autumn there. Which means the week will start with wind, rain, fog, sunshine, snow and then lunch. I have to be ready to move in November though, in case the guy who is meant to be going can't. In that case it'll be summer down there, which means wind, snow, rain, fog, sunshine. If it goes to plan I'll maybe see the flight tests post winter maintenance before I go, then I'll be back in time to enjoy the last month and a bit of the display circuit.

The season doesn't make a massive amount of difference really. It's always windy and the wind mostly comes from the Antarctic. I've been before and saw one tree in my two weeks there! It's a bit like the Scottish Highlands or Dartmoor with less trees but more landmines.

In terms of my job, if I read the assignment order properly... I'm working VASS (Visiting Aircraft Support Section) which mainly involves dealing with the non-local aircraft like the airbridge or visitors from other places. I think I'm attached to 1312 Flight but I don't have any qualifications on the C-130 and the VC-10 should be retired by then, in any case my VC-10 quals will have expired (finally!). Of course, I might have got it wrong and I might actually be expected to do some Herc work, but as the assignment says VASS I expect not.

It'll be windy and isolated. But it's not sandy, I don't need to take a gun and I'm looking forward to seeing the local wildlife and some battlefield tours. As a nice bonus there are no medals for the Falklands, which means that no-one is trying to shoot me or blow me up, so one advantage over Afghanistan. I also hate hot climates but quite like the cold.

RGR Martin!

Post some nice battlefield tour pictures for us when you get there...

BTW, I have:
The Falklands War, 1982 by Martin Middlebrook

http://www.amazon.com/Falklands-Penguin-Classic-Military-History/dp/0141390557/ref=la_B001HPVQZ0_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1371897959&sr=1-15

IMHO one of the best book on the subject...

Leo "Apoll11"

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20025
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 12:28:59 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

I know that Des posted picture of him hiking recently (I think here in "THE THREAD!!!") but I was unable to find it...

Does anyone remember this?

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 20026
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 2:29:37 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

I know that Des posted picture of him hiking recently (I think here in "THE THREAD!!!") but I was unable to find it...

Does anyone remember this?

Leo "Apollo11"

Good morning, Leo.

Yes, I remember a few pictures of Des posted here, including the one you speak of. It was circa 1.5 months ago, IIRC.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 20027
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 2:31:07 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Seeing as I don't drink that leaves one option...

Dixie, Dixie, Dixie...haven't you considered that this may be God's way of telling you that you need to start drinking? Keep your options open, man!

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20028
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 3:20:44 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It goes with the territory, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. In common with most of the RAF, I would have loved to do a det a few years back but it wasn't my turn and I didn't have much experience. Now I've got the experience but I've picked up a family along the way. Grin and bear it, four months can go quickly even if the actual days crawl by. It's said that there are two options for the Falklands get fit (at the gym) or get fat (at the bar). Seeing as I don't drink that leaves one option... The problem there is that I get easily bored at the gym.

Me too. I jut started using my iPad to load up BBC shows and movies, and I watch these now while on the bike or elliptical. Keeps me going a while longer at least.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20029
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 4:34:54 PM   
Chickenboy

Minnesota Science Museum has a travelling exhibit with Mayan artifacts on display. Taking the kids to check out some ye olde historical artifacts. Cuz that's what 9 YO boys and 6 YO girls are *really* into-shards of pottery and stone tablets. Dernit-we'll cram some Kulture into their gullet if it's the last thing we ever do.

Hopefully, they'll minimize the heart-carving-out-throwing-body-into-a-volcano bit.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 20030
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 4:38:18 PM   
Dixie

quote:

quote:

Seeing as I don't drink that leaves one option...

Dixie, Dixie, Dixie...haven't you considered that this may be God's way of telling you that you need to start drinking? Keep your options open, man!

I did not consider this. For the simple reason that the last time I visited, the beer was not cheap and the carpet in the bar was sticky. Very, very sticky.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20031
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 7:16:31 PM   
Dixie

I tried to get some more pictures from the cockpit of a MkXIX Spitfire yesterday as it was being towed back to our hangar. Unfortunately the tractor driver had his foot down and the suspension on a Spitfire is pretty much non existent so instead I got a load of blurry shots

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20032
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 7:20:43 PM   
Dixie

At least yesterday was not a total write off, I'm now authorised for 66.6% of the BBMF flight servicing tasks (Chipmunk, Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster Airframe) which will hopefully result in more trips away this summer. Perhaps I should play the detachment card and ask for more 'cos I'll miss the start of next season?

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20033
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 7:47:41 PM   
sprior

quote:

quote:

Been there, done that. On a surface ship it's not so bad because you get all the jollies. On boats you get a 40 word grumblygram every week but at least the wife knows there's zero chance of you bringing some exotic disease with you.

Dixie - if you fly across the equator do you still get a crossing the line certificate?

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20034
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 7:51:14 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

quote:

Been there, done that. On a surface ship it's not so bad because you get all the jollies. On boats you get a 40 word grumblygram every week but at least the wife knows there's zero chance of you bringing some exotic disease with you.

Dixie - if you fly across the equator do you still get a crossing the line certificate?

Didn't get one last time, so I assume not.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 20035
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 7:52:42 PM   
Symon

quote:

This from press.nz.co:

Lovingly cared for by:
Affinity Funerals

I have lost a friend. In his son, I may have gained a friend.

So long as Des lives in out hearts and minds, he will remain ... Des.

Went out and bought the ingredients for serious margaritas. If I must drink to the passing of a friend, it will be done righteously and well.

God Bless and keep, Desmond Wallace.

May the road rise up to meet you;
May the wind be always at your back;
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
May the rains fall soft upon your body until we meet again;
and until then,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 20036
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 9:25:25 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

quote:

This from press.nz.co:

Lovingly cared for by:
Affinity Funerals

I have lost a friend. In his son, I may have gained a friend.

So long as Des lives in out hearts and minds, he will remain ... Des.

Went out and bought the ingredients for serious margaritas. If I must drink to the passing of a friend, it will be done righteously and well.

God Bless and keep, Desmond Wallace.

May the road rise up to meet you;
May the wind be always at your back;
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
May the rains fall soft upon your body until we meet again;
and until then,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Nice to know you are in contact with his family and the relationship lives on.

Please toast Des properly once for me ... I've got my little one today (Mrs. Pax has to work), so I can't do that properly.

I'm sure his son knows, but let him know that his Dad was all class. That's a good thing to emulate ...

Pax

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 20037
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 9:45:25 PM   
nashvillen

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

Morning tithe... Just went for a walk in the park with my OT, and Dixie the Dog. Ours is the House on the left with the hedge, so you see I've covered a bit of ground. You can see the rain coming out-of the Alps, and up the Lake, and it is raining heavily now when I posting this.

For those looking for the picture of Des and his dog walking in the "Shire".

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 20038
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 10:11:10 PM   
nashvillen

Also, since I got right up for family breakfast this morning.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 20039
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/22/2013 10:11:46 PM   
nashvillen

And, lunch was after a five hour boy scout car wash fundraiser.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 20040
Page:   <<   < prev  666 667 [668] 669 670   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  666 667 [668] 669 670   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI