Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/25/2011 6:23:41 PM   
machitis

I do sandbox almost exclusively. Few very engaging games in Legends so far. I've especially noticed that the "Normal" difficulty is much more difficult, it seems. Probably has something to do with AI preparing for attacks? Setting postures is awesome and (mostly) effective. Better AI has made me more aware of fleet distribution, which, combined with larger physical maps, has also made me put more effort into fuel availability at various locations.

I've had a couple cases where I failed at attempting to project my force into enemy territory because the distances were great, and my primary refueling points where too far away. I now rely much more heavily on resupply ships, even later in research tree.

Overall: LOVING it!

< Message edited by machitis -- 11/25/2011 6:24:41 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 91
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/25/2011 6:30:07 PM   
J HG T

One question about Kiadians, and races with similar victory conditons:
Longest FTA and MDP; When I started the game they were completed (100%) even without any pacts made. Of course this changed with other races started to show up.
So, just to simply clarify, the victory conditions are updated when you meet races that have done better/worse than you in some particular objective?

Also, I've got the only MDP in the whole galaxy with humans, but the longest MDP conditon still shows zero. When it's considered longest and counts towards victory?
And BTW, victory conditions apply after 25 years and game ends after 50 years. Have to check my game if I've hit 25 year mark yet.

EDIT: Victory conditions apply at the moment. Have applied for about 5 years now. I've had MDP with humans for about 2-3 years now.

< Message edited by J HG T -- 11/25/2011 6:43:44 PM >

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

Post #: 92
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/25/2011 6:59:57 PM   
Mysterius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
This happens automatically in my experience as long as you have the immigration policy and automation settings on. Being able to designate one manually is a good suggestion though.

Well, i'd like to :).

Not being able to decide what planet is what is kind of frustrating. Also, the possibility to set a policy for each race (instead of "families" of races) would be a bonus!

Those are "details" for the future tho.

< Message edited by Mysterius -- 11/25/2011 7:00:36 PM >

"Bigamy is when you have two wives, monotony is when you only have one." - Pierre Desproges

Post #: 93
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/25/2011 7:08:55 PM   
w1p

game is awesome

simple

(in reply to Mysterius)
Post #: 94
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/25/2011 8:12:41 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mysterius

Not being able to decide what planet is what is kind of frustrating. Also, the possibility to set a policy for each race (instead of "families" of races) would be a bonus!

Those are "details" for the future tho.

Hello Mysterius!

If you look in your Distant Worlds directory you will find a 'Policy' subdirectory. It
contains the Policy files for all 22 races in the game. They are text files that you may
edit to your satisfaction.

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Mysterius)
Post #: 95
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/25/2011 8:53:48 PM   
WoodMan

@Mysterius,

Set the policy for that planet to enslave in the colonies window, and set the planets you want the prisoners sent from to "resettle".

You can then rename your "enslave" planet to a penal colony also in the colony window.  I hope I understood what you were asking

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 96
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/25/2011 9:08:42 PM   
Mysterius

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1
Hello Mysterius!

If you look in your Distant Worlds directory you will find a 'Policy' subdirectory. It
contains the Policy files for all 22 races in the game. They are text files that you may
edit to your satisfaction.

I was speaking about the "colony population policies". At the moment, you can only decide what you want to do for either your family of races (rodents, humanoids...) or other families. You can't decide, for example, to enslave Boskara but let Sluken inhabit your world in peace because they are in the same family

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

@Mysterius,

Set the policy for that planet to enslave in the colonies window, and set the planets you want the prisoners sent from to "resettle".

You can then rename your "enslave" planet to a penal colony also in the colony window.  I hope I understood what you were asking

That could do it yes, thank you :).

"Bigamy is when you have two wives, monotony is when you only have one." - Pierre Desproges

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 97
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/26/2011 4:21:21 AM   
the1sean

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mysterius

quote:

This happens automatically in my experience as long as you have the immigration policy and automation settings on. Being able to designate one manually is a good suggestion though.

I think that manual designation is a must have feature. More granular race policies would also be an awesome addition so that you could tweak your enslavement habits to be palatable to your closest trade partners and pact allies.

(in reply to Mysterius)
Post #: 98
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/26/2011 10:05:29 PM   
jezwhywhy

What are these yellow animated circles, is it a overlay of some kind?  

lol 10seconds later found out there toggle overlays.... i'll leave it up cuz i need reminding how stupid i am..

< Message edited by jezwhywhy -- 11/26/2011 10:32:37 PM >

---;@

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 99
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/26/2011 10:07:44 PM   
Shuul

Potential colonies i think.

(in reply to jezwhywhy)
Post #: 100
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/26/2011 10:14:39 PM   
Baleur

Yep, the buttons above the minimap are your friends

(in reply to Shuul)
Post #: 101
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/26/2011 10:59:52 PM   
Eystein_hansen

Awesome game. Having a lot of fun playing human in my first game and learning everything. If there is a very detailed victory screen with a high score list then this game will be a perfect single player game I will play many times.

(in reply to machitis)
Post #: 102
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/27/2011 5:21:25 PM   
jezwhywhy

How come when Im upgrading ships, they don't always prefer to upgrade to the fastest ~propulsion [upgrading from captured tech]

also

Is the only penalty to having research stations maintenance ? so i can have like 10x energy research stations around one planet?

< Message edited by jezwhywhy -- 11/27/2011 6:04:43 PM >

---;@

(in reply to Eystein_hansen)
Post #: 103
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/27/2011 8:35:46 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

quote:

ORIGINAL: jezwhywhy

How come when Im upgrading ships, they don't always prefer to upgrade to the fastest ~propulsion [upgrading from captured tech]

also

Is the only penalty to having research stations maintenance ? so i can have like 10x energy research stations around one planet?

It's very easy to reach the Research Cap that way. There's only so much you'll ever get from research stations.

(in reply to jezwhywhy)
Post #: 104
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/27/2011 9:55:53 PM   
Eystein_hansen

Quite good game but I was massivly underwhelmed when the victory screen was only a "victory". I was hoping for a high score that would be stored attleast. Also I Had 200 troop carriers trying to attack a homeworld but they just refused to put the troops in the homeworld. Had to move them right on top of the planet then hit attack for them to actually put the troops on the planet. Sigh. 

Overall the beginning of the game is very very fun and gives challanges and new experiences all the time. The ai is a bit shabby in many instances still imho. I have had space stations not build and had to cancel them and rebuild to actually start building, i have had as mentioned earlier troop carriers that refused to attack homeworlds etc.

What im wishing for to make this a really good single player fun game is a high score so you can compare and compete with yourself. If I was to put my money on a game again maybe I would have bought skyrim instead of this as it is a bit cheaper total than distand worlds with all the expansions. But I have had some good fun and its nice to support small independent game companies so why not.

< Message edited by Eystein -- 11/27/2011 9:57:58 PM >

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 105
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/27/2011 10:02:20 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Eystein,

If you see something that's not working the way you think it should, make a save and upload it for us. That will help us a lot. We are sometimes amazed to see things in those save files that we never thought to try.

Your suggestion on the victory screen is a good one, we'll try to make that happen.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 106
Aliens don't like me at first - 11/27/2011 10:11:44 PM   
MasterChief

This game has so many incredible details incorporated “under the hood”! For example, a feature that adds to the immersion for me is the fact that no races, regardless of type, initial like me because they are ignorant of my “strange ways”. This has always bugged me in previous games of this genre when I meet an alien race for the first time and can immediately communicate,negotiate, cook smores around a camp fire and sing Kum by yah.

(in reply to HectorOfTroy)
Post #: 107
RE: Aliens don't like me at first - 11/27/2011 10:16:19 PM   
jezwhywhy

More nooby questions incoming..   retiring a ship with a fleet admiral kills the admiral -and-  retrofitting freighters or civilian ships doesnt happen?   i think i remember this was playing previous version, its when new ones are built ? 

---;@

(in reply to MasterChief)
Post #: 108
RE: Aliens don't like me at first - 11/27/2011 10:28:22 PM   
WoodMan

quote:

retiring a ship with a fleet admiral kills the admiral

Report this in tech forum if you are playing the latest version of the game, I'm sure it was supposed to be fixed.  Are you using the beta patch?

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to jezwhywhy)
Post #: 109
RE: Aliens don't like me at first - 11/27/2011 10:57:45 PM   
jezwhywhy

little dissapointed when i put hyperdeny on my cruisers to have them interdict incoming hostiles   but it didnt work    :(

---;@

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 110
RE: Aliens don't like me at first - 11/27/2011 11:44:32 PM   
jezwhywhy

sorry im taking over this thread im just full of questions

diplomacy empire statutes is giving me detailed information on gdp, revenue etc of all empires how accurate is it? Is it an extrapolation based on known planets or more likely 100% all information on that empire even though I haven't shared empire maps or nothing?

---;@

(in reply to jezwhywhy)
Post #: 111
RE: Aliens don't like me at first - 11/27/2011 11:45:23 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

little dissapointed when i put hyperdeny on my cruisers to have them interdict incoming hostiles   but it didnt work    :(

I believe what you are looking for is a gravity well.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jezwhywhy)
Post #: 112
RE: Aliens don't like me at first - 11/28/2011 12:28:42 AM   
Hawawaa

Ok I just got back from vacation and installed everything. Glad to hear everyone is loving it! Now I can only play for a hour, got lots of projects to do this week but I will play this up this weekend. Thanks for the awesome expansion! 

Post #: 113
RE: Aliens don't like me at first - 11/28/2011 1:13:37 AM   
jezwhywhy

silvermist gotta die    late late game 

Found it via some exploration ship luckily had some Capital ships on a large map close by the bugger almost killed my flagship before it went down gotta lot of hp

The fleet i wanted to send after the silver mist had fuel issues.. at 1/4.. Guess I better put a large starbase down south

When I discovered the silvermist I panicked and sent all my southern militry (66lol) vessels to intercept (i think silvermist is stealth)

< Message edited by jezwhywhy -- 11/28/2011 1:17:46 AM >

---;@

(in reply to Hawawaa)
Post #: 114
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/28/2011 10:49:48 PM   
Eystein_hansen

quote:

Hi Eystein,

If you see something that's not working the way you think it should, make a save and upload it for us. That will help us a lot. We are sometimes amazed to see things in those save files that we never thought to try.

Your suggestion on the victory screen is a good one, we'll try to make that happen.

Regards,

- Erik

quote:

Thank you for considering a victory screen. I know it would make a world of difference for people that like to compare themself with something.

Post #: 115
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/29/2011 9:20:40 AM   
BletchleyGeek

I'm a late comer to the series and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by DW:Legends. Exploration hadn't ever felt so like, you know, exploration. I also like very much the pace of colonization, I wanted to celebrate with champagne when I got my first out-system colony :-) I spent two hours just sending around my survey ships, establishing research priorities and organizing fleets... very good stuff, really. If the 4X genre was one which many commentators feared was bound to die a death by a thousand failed releases, DW:Legends put back some hope into the heart of 4X fans.

I however found a few problems with the UI flickering at times (Colony screen, Ships and Bases screen) and widgets not having focus when they were supposed to (so I scrolled with the middle button and a different widget than the one I expected registered that). In any case, minor stuff.

Congratulations for a great game!

Post #: 116
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/29/2011 8:36:12 PM   
Jeeves

After five days of play I am at the end of the second game year. I do a lot of micro-management and careful AI trading (6 met of 19) in case that seems slow. There have been three non repeatable crashes at 9-12 hours of session time, but they seem to be from a memory link or some other problem rather than any code defect. The Legends release is wonderful. I have not encountered a silvermist yet, but every ship except the civilians has ion cannons, just in case of trouble. I give the game upgrade ten out of ten stars for playability!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
p.s. I will be posting an after action report soon, and am keeping track of things enough so that it will be detailed without getting into the micro-management aspects.

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

(in reply to BletchleyGeek)
Post #: 117
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 11/29/2011 9:09:36 PM   
Locarnus

@jeeves: Yes, I had the same problem, left my notebook on and the game on pause because I had to leave urgently. So the game was "running" for about 10 hours total. When I came back, it crashed.

So now I tend to save and restart the game (not only load the save), if the session gets longer.

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 118
RE: Aliens don't like me at first - 11/30/2011 12:09:49 AM   
elliotg

quote:

More nooby questions incoming..   retiring a ship with a fleet admiral kills the admiral

This should *not* be happening - I specifically fixed this during beta-testing.

How are you retiring your ship? Are you sure you're not "Scrapping Immediately"? That would kill the Admiral for sure.

quote:

-and-  retrofitting freighters or civilian ships doesnt happen?   i think i remember this was playing previous version, its when new ones are built ? 

They will retrofit, but only once every two years. And only when they're not busy with something else. The advisor suggestion to retrofit will tell your private ships to retrofit once they are finished their current mission.

(in reply to jezwhywhy)
Post #: 119
RE: Aliens don't like me at first - 11/30/2011 12:13:37 AM   
elliotg

quote:

HyperDeny components stop enemy ships from escaping (i.e. jumping to hyperspace) - they do not pull ships out of hyperspace.

To pull ships out of hyperspace you'll need the Gravity Well Projector component. But this is rather large and really only suited to use on bases.

(in reply to jezwhywhy)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI