Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Aliens don't like me at first

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Aliens don't like me at first Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Aliens don't like me at first - 11/30/2011 12:15:24 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: jezwhywhy
sorry im taking over this thread im just full of questions

diplomacy empire statutes is giving me detailed information on gdp, revenue etc of all empires how accurate is it? Is it an extrapolation based on known planets or more likely 100% all information on that empire even though I haven't shared empire maps or nothing?

The numbers shown in the Diplomacy screen are accurate. This gives you some idea of the strength of the other empire, even when you have not fully explored their territory

(in reply to jezwhywhy)
Post #: 121
RE: Aliens don't like me at first - 11/30/2011 6:42:26 AM   
malkuth74

Still on my first game but so far impressed with the added stuff.

The borders was one of my biggest problems in the original game.. Now that I have borders and some sense of Control over what comes into my systems, biggest thing for me.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 122
RE: Aliens don't like me at first - 11/30/2011 7:24:00 AM   
jezwhywhy

even the music is awesome 

---;@

(in reply to malkuth74)
Post #: 123
RE: Aliens don't like me at first - 11/30/2011 7:49:05 AM   
LoBaron

I am now in the 2nd large expansion phase of my first Legends game and having a blast
(Human empire, republic, about 12 colonies atm)!
Congratulation guys, awesome expansion. The game really feels complete now on most levels.

Heres a few pros:

- Vectors!! Who first got that idea should get a medal. Helps so much in decluttering the information.

- Diplomacy. Works much better than in RotS, you feel less forced to go for anihilation warfare because
there are so many other options. Great addition, and even more so as the AI seems to be able to use them.
In general AI seems to react more realistic to threats. I had an early border clash as humans with a
Naxillean empire. I defeated 2 of their raiding fleets in pitched battles after they had killed 2-3
mining stations, and then decided to strike their homesystem. 2 minutes after I came out of warp and
killed a gms they sued for peace, which I was happy to accept with the ammount of reparation payments they
offered.
All in all I slowly get the impression back that I am dealing with real diplomats of real alien empires, which
I found so impressive in the good old times of MOO2. Good stuff!

- Borders (clearly an improvement and any additional comment would be a repetition I guess....)

- Map overlays in general.

And cons:

- I still have to force the occasional construction ship back into my own borders because it wants
to build some hi fidelity research station on the other end of the galaxy, just because some location
looks juicy enough. Same for freighters, they still try to cross distances way to big for their
fuel. I usually add a LR freighter design which I´d like to take over such missions, but it does not
look like the AI checks for max range when assigning transport missions?

- Am I the only one who gets a headache from the sounds? I belive it is definitely time for an improvement.
Its not a gamebreaker, but staying zoomed in at a colony, building a CS next to 2 moons with
mining stations happily grinding away really makes me want to throw my (pretty expensive) sound system out
of the window. Through the window. To at least for once hear a different sound.
I know that was never the core of the game, but hey, a highly complex strategy game may sound like
an 80´s arcade machine when its turnbased, and you can turn off sound without impact,
but not if its a realtime game where you are (or should be) relying on some sounds effects to warn you
off and gather information.
MY suggestion would be smoother, more variable, less repetetive, sounds. PLEASE! I tend to listen to classical music,
and in the unlikely event I develop masochistic tendencies I can go to a Noise party for torture...

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 124
RE: Aliens don't like me at first - 11/30/2011 9:16:31 AM   
Bingeling

Building a juicy research station on the other end of the world could be very much worth, it, though. I am more worried about a steel mine in the middle of nowhere, I can't possibly be that troubled by steel shortages when I see no construction issues, can I?

As for the sound. I never noticed that. Maybe check the volume settings? Or zoom a bit further out when watching construction? When it comes to sound, the "attacked" one is most important, and it is rather clear even at lower volume settings.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 125
RE: Aliens don't like me at first - 11/30/2011 10:21:41 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling
As for the sound. I never noticed that. Maybe check the volume settings? Or zoom a bit further out when watching construction? When it comes to sound, the "attacked" one is most important, and it is rather clear even at lower volume settings.

Its less the volume but rather the type and repetition of the same low quality sound effects which are highly annoying to
my ears. Sound effects in general add a lot to game immersion IMHO, and this is is an area where DW lacks.

Current mining and construction sounds are on top of my irritation list, independent of that I
doubt a modern high tech mining station sounds like a 20th century jackhammer.

Yes, I know I can turn off sound as a whole, or just keep the music turned on, but this is not a
solution I find satisfying.

Edit: In general many of the sound effects suggest the emitter is something very small.

In a game where the smallest scale is planetary, this leaves an almost toylike impression. One of the few
effects that come close to what I find bearable is ships entering hyperspace.

< Message edited by LoBaron -- 11/30/2011 10:40:46 AM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 126
RE: Aliens don't like me at first - 11/30/2011 2:13:23 PM   
hewwo

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Edit: In general many of the sound effects suggest the emitter is something very small.

In a game where the smallest scale is planetary, this leaves an almost toylike impression. One of the few
effects that come close to what I find bearable is ships entering hyperspace.

I agree with this comment, it can be a real immersion breaker. But given limited resources there are other things that I would rather see :)

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 127
RE: Aliens don't like me at first - 12/5/2011 11:12:10 AM   
MaxyGamer

Finally, have some time to post. I haven’t spent too much time with Legends yet. Only a couple of hours. Just made sure that it all still worked on my system. The game just got even better and the new additions including the new UI elements bring some freshness and are, simply put, quite fun. Waiting for patches to fix up some things but I’ve been reading some posts and it’s all known/to be fixed. Happy that I purchased Legends. Any additions by the developers to Distant Worlds based on fan feedback can only mean one thing – classic to gracefully stand the test of time. Overall, thanks to the developers.

There is, of course, another game that came out earlier in November and I’ve been spending some free time playing it but we all know it’s only temporary. Man… have spent ages tweaking that one just to make it stable on my system…. My rig is more than enough to handle most modern games on Highest possible by default settings…but this certain game has been quite poorly optimized...

I am soon to complete the storyline of that one and then it’s all DW which is my most favorite game anyways. By the way, the music for legends is great. Fits the atmosphere quite nicely and is much appreciated.

(in reply to hewwo)
Post #: 128
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/5/2011 6:40:00 PM   
Chet Guiles

Sorry, I left this message in the wrong place. S/B here.

The new feature which allows us to select a series of designs in the ship design screen to delete is excellent. But the color highlighting becomes totally meaningless the minute we do a mass update for a new technology, since manually updated (not only new user-created) designs all turn red. I think there should be something to discriminate those changes made to update tech, from those made by a user to create or mod a ship design. Maybe when we use the "Copy as New" feature it could turn red, but any general update to new tech should not change color. The first time we update all our ships for better shields or a new weapon, the feature ceases to be of any value. All red is just the same as all white.

< Message edited by Chet Guiles -- 12/5/2011 6:41:02 PM >

(in reply to HectorOfTroy)
Post #: 129
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/6/2011 7:20:08 AM   
Keston

This is as good as Skyrim. Legends is also a role playing game, just a galaxy's worth of difference in scale and kind of game. Legends gives me the happy feeling that I hoped MOO3 would provide. And it is incrementally being improved and the management side of the game made easier. Bravo!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nedrear

I really love the silver mist idea, though I haven't found it yet... BUT I would like to chose the space creatures which appear ingame or I will sadly keep it deactivated or on "few". Some of those just feel wrong in a RP sense. I can live with a space jellyfish drifting and looking for food in hibernation or the silvermist but the space slug is too much. That is beyond explanation.

I think the space slug is an ancient feat of bioengineering. Mining device? Automated guardians? Sadly, the original purpose is unknown. I suspect the Silvermist of being a self-replicating automated mining solution that consumed its own creators - if only they had waited another year to perfect the master command overrides before putting it on the market!

Who can know if there are technologies in the game which, when unleashed in combination, have dark and dramatically unexpected consequences?

quote:

Difficulty controls how much money your colonies make. At harder settings all AI empires earn more colony income. At easier settings the player's colony income increases.
So you have either more or less money available for ships/research/etc relative to other empires.

Thanks, that clears up the mechanism. I was hoping for better tooltips that explain the set-up settings and what they affect (particularly how they affect the player vs. the AI).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
{Penal colonies} happen automatically in my experience as long as you have the immigration policy and automation settings on. Being able to designate one manually is a good suggestion though.

This would be helpful because positining penal colonies is strategically significant. Being able to put subject races on different appropriate planets would be as well. How does being enslaved affect the quaity of troops recruited in game? It worked well with the Janissaries, not so well in some other cases - and that's just within humanity.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 130
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/10/2011 11:50:24 PM   
MilanGru

Silvermist is new space creature. What is new "hidden faction" ? 

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 131
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/10/2011 11:51:10 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

I think its the Legendary Pirates.. but if its not, then I haven't found it yet.

(in reply to MilanGru)
Post #: 132
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/11/2011 12:49:37 AM   
Neotheone

Even with the crash issues and exception errors it's quite an interesting game.

I tend to believe it's like this:
quote:

It's becoming easier and easier though to compare this to X3:Terran conflict in the real time department, but, X3 is less headachee. The difference I see is in this game you colonize and conquer colonies, in X3 you capture enemy ships and conquer enemy factories and space ports/outposts and you actually get to sit in the cockpit of the ships in X3 and/or you can control it from a single ship. In this game you get to pick how much you want to operate, but, in X3 you can do pretty much the same putting your fleets or individual ships on auto pilot, patrols, transport duty and invasions. This game allows you to design your ships it has that over X3, but, then again designing ships is just a time consuming thing and usually puts the player over the top over the AI because the AI is never going to design anything as good as the player. In X3 all ships are built fairly an equally for player and AI by the game engine designs themselves. There's more diplomacy in this, whereas X3 just cuts to the chase and pretty much is a conquer game from the start.

I also tend to see a Paradox Europa engine game in space with this game. Real time with the ability to slow it down to a crawl (that's a plus for me). 10 million popups a minute that you can't adjust to pause the game when they do popup like a Paradox game. Diplomacy simular as well and too forgiving. Lackidasical AI that spreads out and colonizes too slowly (at least on Normal settings). I find that the AI is too giving in credits to me every 5 minutes. I think I make more money with other races giving 20000 credits every 5 minutes than I do actually building up my own economy.

All n all it's not a bad marriage of the two other designs; X3 and Paradox EU engine in space. I'll always wish for a more aggressive AI, but, I haven't tested all the features to make it more challenging yet and I'm just reviewing on the Normal difficulty game setup right now. I was just getting into the wars in the other game when all the crashing started so I don't know how tough the Shakturi are but I did get a taste of the Silvermist, Ancient Pirates and the Guardians which were fun and challenging. The Guardians most especially, man 100 ships lost to try to take out one of theirs that's some overpowered programming of the AI for sure.

Gonna be a good game I think when they get it fixed. Has great potential.

Post #: 133
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/11/2011 12:53:10 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

Well, that's certainly one way to look at it. Like i've been telling people over at the forum I usually hang out at, this game is a niche title. Not everyone will appreciate what they are doing.

That said, with a game this big there is always room for improvement, and Codeforce seems more than willing to give it all they've got.

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 134
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/11/2011 2:45:17 AM   
Erik Rutins

Ok, that pretty much confirms it. We have a previous forum user who is still banned who went by the name of "Ravinhood". Neotheone sounded exactly like him and his e-mail address is extremely similar (containing "ravin" in the name). Combine that with Ravinhood's love of X3 and I think we have a match.

Neo, please reply to me at erikr@matrixgames.com if you'd like to try to convince me otherwise.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 135
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/11/2011 5:54:48 AM   
Neotheone

quote:

Neo, please reply to me at erikr@matrixgames.com if you'd like to try to convince me otherwise.

Sorry, but I don't have time to play silly games. I don't know what you are talking about and I'm not going to waste my time emailing you to prove something I have no clue what you are talking about. If you're that paranoid about this person well I'm sorry I can't help you. I guess if two people have the same name or like name and like the same things they have to be the same person correct?

I reviewed this game as I saw it nothing more nothing less. If you can sit there and say or think they are not simular then you don't have much of an open mind.

At any rate you're suppose to be a professional businessperson, is this what you call professional? Accusing someone you don't even know of being someone you banned before because you don't like his review or comments an on an open forum at that? That's being a bit petty I think. I mean why don't you just outright ban me, afterall it's your forum and you can be dictator anytime you want to be right? I had hoped this site wasn't like the Paradox site. I guess I was wrong.

I guess it's uncommon for someone who buys a game to be frustrated with the outcome when it doesn't work properly? That's it isn't it? Because I've been a bit forward with my postings about issues I'm having you need to find some way to make it look like it's not your games fault. That's very good. It amazes me how management handles customers these days. Whatever happened to the customer is always right customer service?

I certainly don't need this kind of treatment. If that's how you think and treat your customers I won't be buying anymore of your products and will certainly tell my friends an associates how I was treated here.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 136
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/11/2011 6:23:02 AM   
Whydmer

Erik and all the staff of Matrix games that I have interacted with have been helpful, willing to listen to criticism, and tolerant of people's views on their forum.  Several people have mentioned to you, Neotheone that you are coming across negatively, yet your replies have continued to portray the same strident and self centered attitude.  This is a community site, hosted by Matrix, and if you are interfering with the communty's enjoyment of this forum, (and not with your criticisms of the game, you're just as entitled to your opinion as anyone else, but rather it is the manner in which you communicate to the rest of us that is aggravating), then the hosts have the right to protect the community that exists here.

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 137
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/11/2011 3:23:34 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Neo,

The only thing you've possibly done wrong is being a sock puppet for a banned user. If you are not, then of course you will have my apologies. However, your personality and posting style are an exact match as well and this previous user was banned for good reason. We don't ban people for posting bug reports.

I'll take this to the other mods for their opinions.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Whydmer)
Post #: 138
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/11/2011 5:18:30 PM   
Erik Rutins

After discussion with the other mods and some research, we were able to confirm through further research without any remaining doubt that you are indeed a sock puppet for the banned user Ravinhood. Creating a new account to get around a ban is a violation of forum policies. Your new account has been banned as well.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 139
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/11/2011 7:09:55 PM   
Farrels

Hey Guys

Just like to share my thoughts about legends with the new patch and after a weekend of play:

Fleet postures - once you get your head around them they really make things a lot easier (many thanks to the guy that made the guide in the War room) to manager your empires defences. Had a decent war agains the Mortalens (sp) and the AI did a good job of defending my colonies

SOI - I know people have stated that it grows too small but i think its okay, however i still occasionally have other empires build stuff in my SOI? This mainly occurs in where i have stars that i have not explored yet and the AI empires manage to sneek a base in their

The AI - still too easy to play against on a level playing field. However if you give them advanced start they can really give you some headaches. I gave the Mortalens and Quameno an advanced start in my last game, the Quameno pretty much dominated all wonders and the economy, while the Mortalens waged an effective campaign against me for some years until i broke them. This leads onto my next point where i think the AI struggles - limited construction bays. I was able to break the Morts because they ran out of construction capacity - at one point they had 91 ships being constructed at their HW space port where i just proceeded to mop them up.

Performance - very stable no crashes, this is on 400 star galaxies which is about the limit on my laptop - however i have a weird issue where sounds stops working or becomes choppy - ive twiddled with the settings but i always have this issue.

All in all its a great expansion and im really enjoying it, my only minor gripe at this point is making the AI a bit more competative

Farrels

Post #: 140
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/12/2011 6:24:14 AM   
jezwhywhy

finding abandoned ships is there an option to turn it off?     sometimes i think it might make tech progression too easy 

---;@

(in reply to Farrels)
Post #: 141
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/12/2011 7:26:56 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

quote:

ORIGINAL: jezwhywhy

finding abandoned ships is there an option to turn it off?     sometimes i think it might make tech progression too easy 

I think you'll always find a few, but by turning off the original DW story-lines you can disable the massive debris fields.

(in reply to jezwhywhy)
Post #: 142
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/14/2011 1:23:09 AM   
Crinshaw

This is a very fine game. I just bought it last week but I have only started playing because my daughter keeps dragging me back to play Lord of the Rings Online with her. I can't pass that up. I now have a couple hours of stops and starts and must say that this in not like any 4x space game I have ever played. It is very approachable at any level.

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 143
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/14/2011 2:59:57 AM   
the1sean

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

After discussion with the other mods and some research, we were able to confirm through further research without any remaining doubt that you are indeed a sock puppet for the banned user Ravinhood. Creating a new account to get around a ban is a violation of forum policies. Your new account has been banned as well.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik, thank you. His off-topic tantrums and belligerent attitude were getting old.

Post #: 144
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/29/2011 5:50:32 AM   
nelsonlee_slith

the impovement of AI is great

the NPC subsystem is great too though I think it can add more pics and characters........maybe there will be a great moder later

and after all I hope there will be a planet-construction-sub system(maybe just like the Heroes of Might & Magic III),it is not comfortable when the whole planet pic are covered by dockyard and other buildings,and also it must be cool when when see a pic of your planet with many beautiful buildings such as a wonder....

< Message edited by nelsonlee -- 12/29/2011 5:53:49 AM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 145
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/29/2011 6:12:10 PM   
MrCali

I bought Legends yesterday after purchasing Distant Worlds and its first expansion earlier in the year. While I enjoyed the first part of the series, I was slightly put off by having to micromanage all of my defense fleets throughout my sprawling empire while also simultaneously managing at times multiple wars with enemy empires. I didn't feel that automate did a good enough job, for example sending a fleet from one side of my empire to deal with a threat that a fleet next door could take care of. I really wished there was some way of limiting certain fleets to certain sectors, etc.

I have to say I'm loving this new fleet posturing system with Legends. It is exactly what I was wishing for. That, on top of having borders and the vectoring make this game a complete package now. I only got to play for a couple of hours last night, but I had a blast and I'm greatly looking forward to this evening.

So basically I registered strictly to say great job guys, keep up the good work.

(in reply to nelsonlee_slith)
Post #: 146
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/29/2011 8:52:26 PM   
Astax

I love this game! It has gotten so much more depth through the expansions, I only wonder how far we'll go! 

(in reply to MrCali)
Post #: 147
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/30/2011 7:25:15 AM   
Fetrik

quote:

ORIGINAL: Astax

I only wonder how far we'll go! 

To the stars and beyond!

(in reply to Astax)
Post #: 148
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/30/2011 5:41:42 PM   
Data

Where no one has gone before, that's for sure.....boldly.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Fetrik)
Post #: 149
RE: Legends: leave your impressions here, pls! - 12/30/2011 10:32:42 PM   
adecoy95

just some quick first impressions from the end game of my first game of legends. settings are something like, max pirates, max difficulty, aggressive settings for empires. i stayed peaceful more than i would have liked, but i was still getting the hang of all the new things in the game.

as you can see from this picture, my empire is extremely large compared to others from colonization. but it is one of my main focuses throughout my games so its to be expected i suppose.

i made it a point in this game to leave the ancients alone, because their home world is just way too good. but it did not matter in the end, while i am not certain what kind of bonuses the ai get on very hard, i am unsure if it is enough. i found this interesting, the other empires are so far below me most of them dont even have bars.

money seems to come a lot easier in legends, most likely because of the stats leaders can obtain. yes i am playing securians, and yes my closest ally, the dyhaat, performed a hostile racial takeover it seems. currently, trying to maintain fleet admirals and troop commanders is more than a little tedious, the bonuses are good, but i find myself annoyed that i have to redeploy troop commanders after i perform an invasion.

manual tax rates is still the best way to go. this needs to be addressed somehow. it might not be the only reason, but it is defiantly a step towards making the ai more challenging. currently the tax system impacts the rate at which worlds populate by extreme amounts. this picture demonstrates the difference somewhat. while these worlds are not too similar in terms of quality and such, its important to note that the 50% tax rate puts the other world at 56 times less growth rate. the difference is so extreme, that by the time the game ends, that world could not even hope to be even remotely developed. all for the measly 9k the owner is gaining for this loss. i would suggest a new system that allows the worlds to grow to proper sizes before it gets taxed into oblivion like it is now.

some other quick feedback points.

the game is crashing occasionally, but i am playing the beta patch so i suppose it is to be expected. it seems to happen the most during end game when its trying to gather data in the menus and becomes crashtastic from all the data.

the new energy to fuel converters are really cool and very powerful, but there needs to be a new base type for them that will work in the menus for stars along side the research and resort base buttons.

i like the way subjugation works now, it is much more interesting and rewarding, its also interesting how much you can demand from an enemy with a "or we will attack you" threat right after they vie for peace with you, if not a bit exploity (i once got something like a 300 million trade value for making this threat).

i havent used ambassadors much, but i have to say, the level of relationship you can obtain with them is really high, im currently something like 250+ in relations with my closest ally the dhyuaat.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Aliens don't like me at first Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI