Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  98 99 [100] 101 102   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/9/2019 5:52:20 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Das Boot

Sky have re-made this classic. Watched the first episode and..... so far so very, very good!

Good cast, good feel to the production- the Germans talk German - and the story is not a simple re-hash of the original. There is a French resistance 'thing' seemingly going on too.

Really looking forward to the rest of this - and a second series is apparently in the offing

warspite1

Well I got through all 8 episodes of the first series. A bit of a mixed bag really.

Firstly, this is nothing like the original version - which is good because it would be incredibly difficult to match that, let alone top it.

So probably the best way to approach it is to ignore the title and just look at it as a WWII yarn set in occupied France. I think there was probably a 50/50 split, give or take, between the u-boat action and the action on terra firma.

The u-boat sequences were done well enough, although the actual storyline probably won't please the purists. Annoyingly the storyline takes the route so many (especially latter day) war films take and have too much in-fighting between the crew. I find this formulaic and often totally uninteresting.

The action on land is okay - although the storyline is a little simple and one or two scenes appear fanciful. I get the feeling that the story telling could have been made much more tense than was the case - I felt the suspense was missing and we are talking about the Gestapo here and a good old fashioned cat and mouse scenario so should not have been difficult to do.

But taken on its own, without any comparisons with the original, was this worth watching? Yes I think so, and certainly worth a second series.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/9/2019 5:54:54 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2971
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/14/2019 7:50:17 PM   
Kuokkanen

Cartoon parody of A New Hope. Commentators seem to think it is something else.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2972
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/16/2019 3:46:27 PM   
warspite1

Mmmm... just seen the first Disney teaser for Frozen 2 and it looks like Elsa has turned into Frozone....

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 2973
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/17/2019 2:33:36 PM   
Chickenboy

Warspite1-I'm not on the forum much these days. Too much political trolling. But I thought I'd pop in a bit to let you know that we saw Lego Movie 2 last night. If you and yours liked the first one, this one is very strongly recommended as well.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2974
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/17/2019 2:53:53 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Warspite1-I'm not on the forum much these days. Too much political trolling. But I thought I'd pop in a bit to let you know that we saw Lego Movie 2 last night. If you and yours liked the first one, this one is very strongly recommended as well.
warspite1

Thanks for the tip. Will probably watch it as we really liked the first one. We saw How to Train Your Dragon The Hidden World today and this was pretty good - better than the second offering, although not quite on a par with the utterly charming original. A fine feel good movie.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/17/2019 2:54:39 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2975
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/17/2019 4:30:36 PM   
Chickenboy

Warspite1:

Fair notice:

This song's gonna get stuck inside your head.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2976
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/17/2019 5:14:40 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Warspite1:

Fair notice:

warspite1

Which song?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2977
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/17/2019 6:02:34 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

Cartoon parody of A New Hope. Commentators seem to think it is something else.

Looks kind of goofy and dumb.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 2978
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/18/2019 7:39:44 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Warspite1:

Fair notice:

warspite1

Which song?

The "Catchy" one. You'll see.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2979
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/18/2019 7:53:46 PM   
zakblood

quote:

Das Boot

Sky have re-made this classic. Watched the first episode and..... so far so very, very good!

Good cast, good feel to the production- the Germans talk German - and the story is not a simple re-hash of the original. There is a French resistance 'thing' seemingly going on too.

Really looking forward to the rest of this - and a second series is apparently in the offing

just finished the 1st series and it's quite good, the story anyway, the scenes and the acting, yes the sex scenes did nothing to add to it, other than spread it out somewhat, the ended was good, but it's not like the film story and that's a shame, but look forward to more all the same, thanks for recommending it

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2980
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/19/2019 6:57:10 AM   
nicwb

It wasn't too bad but I thought that episode where the crew were trapped in the damaged U-boat was the highpoint

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 2981
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/20/2019 5:47:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

quote:

Das Boot

just finished the 1st series and it's quite good, the story anyway, the scenes and the acting, yes the sex scenes did nothing to add to it, other than spread it out somewhat, the ended was good, but it's not like the film story and that's a shame, but look forward to more all the same, thanks for recommending it
warspite1

I'm glad you enjoyed it Unclear at the moment whether Series 2 will be out this year or next.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 2982
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/20/2019 5:48:34 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicwb

I thought that episode where the crew were trapped in the damaged U-boat was the highpoint
warspite1

Agreed, that was more in keeping with the original.

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 2983
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/20/2019 5:52:26 PM   
zakblood

i didn't like the double cross, or some of the story on the land tbh, the weak German police seemed a bit too easy going for me, but did like it when she did him in the end, found that good, so yes series 2 will be interesting, and hope it doesn't get cancelled before it finishes no matter how long it goes on for, as it happened to me quite a bit atm, got netflix and amazon prime, and stuff now days get cancelled for any reason and at any time :(

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2984
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/20/2019 6:08:28 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

i didn't like the double cross, or some of the story on the land tbh, the weak German police seemed a bit too easy going for me, but did like it when she did him in the end, found that good, so yes series 2 will be interesting, and hope it doesn't get cancelled before it finishes no matter how long it goes on for, as it happened to me quite a bit atm, got netflix and amazon prime, and stuff now days get cancelled for any reason and at any time :(
warspite1

The thing is, stuffing up a Gestapo storyline must actually be quite a difficult thing to do. They just need to get an experienced script writer and director involved and its difficult to see how they can go wrong. That ever present fear that one is going to be caught alive must have been unbearable - how did anyone do it?

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 2985
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/20/2019 6:13:44 PM   
zakblood

well i know i'm not brave enough that is for sure, and tbh i'd say most wouldn't be, as then isn't now and tbh i couldn't see the weak youth of today even fighting like the first world war,... never mind the second, the UK armies is now looking over sea's for recruits it so short staffed and can't get them either fit enough or willing to serve, not saying it was for me either, have friends and family who did, but not something ever wished to do, so no don't think it would be my cup of tea, then again you wouldn't get my in a sub either, or down a mine, maybe a nice warm tank, but only if it has fish in it

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2986
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/24/2019 4:34:58 AM   
Aurelian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baRvF6ZBK18

Sophie Scholl The Final Days.

German 2005 film with English subtitles.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 2987
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/26/2019 8:12:37 AM   
warspite1

True Detective came to an end last night. The way the mystery was solved was a bit strange but that does not detract from what has been a fine series.

Cold Feet came to an end last week and this series too has been a welcome return to form - I hope they will continue.

The Passage remains very watchable - not sure where this will go, but for now each episode leaves me wanting more which is a good sign.

Endeavour is always great viewing as was Lewis and as was Morse. Sadly the series are short and the 4th and final part airs next Sunday.

Baptiste is two episodes in. This is hugely watchable and another recommended series. The detective from the two series of The Missing has his own show and has moved on from hunting missing children to Romanian gangs and the Dutch red light district - and the mysterious Edward Stratton....

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 2988
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/27/2019 1:00:44 PM   
KateCameron

I watched Fed Up. Documentary made in 2014. This is a very impressive movie

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2989
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/28/2019 7:47:39 AM   
warspite1

I watched Atonement the other day. I didn't know the story and wasn't really expecting much - but I knew there was a scene set at Dunkirk so I thought I'd give it a go.

Turns out to have been a very good film. Good cast, good - but ultimately sad - story. Recommended.

Post #: 2990
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 3/1/2019 7:49:42 PM   
warspite1

All The President's Men

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2991
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 3/3/2019 6:17:35 AM   
warspite1

With the final season of Game of Thrones out in April I've started watching the earlier series again. It's a huge time commitment so suspect I won't get to see all previous series before April - but I'll give it a go

Who are you rooting for?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/3/2019 6:18:18 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2992
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 3/3/2019 7:51:22 PM   
Orm

quote:

Who are you rooting for?

The hand.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2993
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 3/4/2019 4:08:02 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Who are you rooting for?

The hand.
warspite1

The hand?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2994
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 3/10/2019 2:26:36 PM   
Red2112

How Did The Bismarck Manage To Sink HMS Hood So Quickly? | History Documentary | Reel Truth History...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_jDaUSSPhc

Red

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2995
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 3/10/2019 3:49:54 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who are you rooting for?

The hand.
warspite1

The hand?

Yes, the hand. See post #2993.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2996
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 3/10/2019 4:34:01 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red2112

How Did The Bismarck Manage To Sink HMS Hood So Quickly? | History Documentary | Reel Truth History...

Red
warspite1

Thanks for sharing, well worth a look. Not convinced they solved the mystery though. Unless I missed something they simply seemed to confirm a magazine exploded - but not what exactly caused the magazine to explode.

Very poignant to see the colour footage from 1939.....

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 2997
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 3/10/2019 4:34:41 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who are you rooting for?

The hand.
warspite1

The hand?

Yes, the hand. See post #2993.
warspite1

I wondered why you would be rooting for Qyburn!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2998
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 3/10/2019 5:24:26 PM   
Red2112

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red2112

Red
warspite1

Thanks for sharing, well worth a look. Not convinced they solved the mystery though. Unless I missed something they simply seemed to confirm a magazine exploded - but not what exactly caused the magazine to explode.

Very poignant to see the colour footage from 1939.....

Your welcome Sir. <S>

Yeap, she was one nice ship, even more in colour!

Red

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2999
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 3/15/2019 2:56:58 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1:

Fair notice:

warspite1

Which song?

The "Catchy" one. You'll see.

Follow up for Warspite1-you seen it yet?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3000
Page:   <<   < prev  98 99 [100] 101 102   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  98 99 [100] 101 102   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI