Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/3/2020 4:48:59 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Also from the BBC I am watching The Trial of Christine Keeler. So far so... okay I think. I'm finding the flashbacks confusing and would prefer a chronological sequence.

It's an interesting take on the Profumo Affair though. The series is shown from Keeler's perspective.

Christine Keeler (Sophie Cookson) and Mandy Rice-Davies (Ellie Bamber)

Fact v Fiction: The BBC goes 'In search of the real Christine Keeler' https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50858880

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3391
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/3/2020 7:47:43 AM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicwb

quote:

Dr Who Series 12 Episode 1 airs this evening.

Just watched and enjoyed - looking forward to part two. Seriously a year's pause between series is too long.

Yes. A cracking episode. Didn't see...

Please, next time watch out for spoilers

You're right. I shall be more careful in future.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 3392
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/4/2020 9:55:33 AM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

well that shifted from wierd and watchable (episode #1), to utterly confusing and not very good (episode #2).

seems they are trying too hard to be clever?
warspite1

I feared the worst when I saw your comment - one of the reasons I stopped watching Doctor Who was the ever increasing, overly-complicated, unfathomable and frankly ludicrous plots (the final series of Sherlock was heading that way too). As you say, it was I think a case of the script writers trying (and failing) to be oh so clever and patting themselves on the back for their incredible cleverness, while forgetting there is an audience out there that wants to be entertained.

But I've just watched the latest episode of Dracula and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. The very last scene was of course a twist that may or not be a twist too far and could break the series, but I found episode 2 excellent value. The only thing I found confusing (given that final scene) was that I didn't know where the Chess playing scene was taking place (and thus when in the story timeline). But I understand that it was happening on the Demeter so that makes sense.

I'm looking forward to episode 3 (with the caveat that scene 3 might have been a pre-cursor for a major let down - but I hope not).

The very watchable Sister Agatha van Helsing played by Dolly Wells

well I think they pulled that off very satisfyingly. I take back all my grumbles about the second episode.

One of the really clever tweaks to the novel was to alter Dracula's love interest away from the rather boring Mina to someone much more intellectually challenging

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3393
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/4/2020 2:21:16 PM   
warspite1

I watched the third and final episode. Looks like there are a lot of haters out there but frankly I thought it was a decent series overall and I didn't have too much problem with the ending. I thought Mark Gatiss played his role very well - especially the scene where we first meet him.

Bang and Wells made an excellent sparring duo - both very watchable - and likeable characters - at least if you forget that Bang is actually a mass murderer..... The storyline never did get stupidly complicated or complex.

I certainly don't feel I wasted 4.5 hours of my life - unlike with War of the Worlds which, however long those three episodes lasted, was frankly too long....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3394
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/4/2020 11:09:32 PM   
Red2112

Lindibeige:

The Wargamers who won a real war...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVet82IUAqQ

Red

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3395
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/5/2020 2:47:29 PM   
shunwick

quote:

I watched the third and final episode. Looks like there are a lot of haters out there but frankly I thought it was a decent series overall and I didn't have too much problem with the ending. I thought Mark Gatiss played his role very well - especially the scene where we first meet him.

Bang and Wells made an excellent sparring duo - both very watchable - and likeable characters - at least if you forget that Bang is actually a mass murderer..... The storyline never did get stupidly complicated or complex.

I certainly don't feel I wasted 4.5 hours of my life - unlike with War of the Worlds which, however long those three episodes lasted, was frankly too long....

It was an interesting retelling of the Dracula story. Perhaps not a classic but certainly watchable. Claes Bang was excellent in the title role and Dolly Wells equally good as Agatha/Zoe Van Helsing. Good supporting cast, Mark Gatiss, Joanna Scallon and almost missed Catherine Schell as Grand Duchess Walleria.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I can see why some may have disliked the ending.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3396
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/5/2020 2:48:42 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red2112

Lindibeige:

The Wargamers who won a real war...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVet82IUAqQ

Red

Love me a bit of Lindibeige.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 3397
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/9/2020 11:28:52 AM   
Zorch

"The Graduate screenwriter, Get Smart co-creator Buck Henry dies at 89"

https://www.cnet.com/news/graduate-screenwriter-get-smart-co-creator-buck-henry-dies-at-89/

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3398
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/9/2020 1:40:15 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

https://www.cnet.com/news/graduate-screenwriter-get-smart-co-creator-buck-henry-dies-at-89/

Too bad. Get Smart was always one of my favorites. Kaos and Ziegfried were unimpeachable bad guys, and the cone of silence miscues always hilarious.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3399
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/9/2020 2:28:31 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Too bad. Get Smart was always one of my favorites. Kaos and Ziegfried were unimpeachable bad guys, and the cone of silence miscues always hilarious.

And they always talked about silly things under it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3400
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/11/2020 8:54:30 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

And they always talked about silly things under it.

IIRC, the vast majority of the conversation involved inability to hear one another while inside the Cone of Silence. They'd almost always wind up yelling "WHAT!?" at one another or garbling what the other person said. Finally, in exasperation, they'd remove the thing and just wind up speaking in an open air conversation.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3401
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/16/2020 5:07:45 AM   
warspite1

No Spoilers

I watched 2017 last night.

I give this a solid 8.5 out of 10.

I didn't read much about it so didn't really know what to expect - other than what I saw in the trailer about the overriding theme (saving the two battalions from launching an attack which would have been suicide as they were advancing into a trap).

I think the film was well made, well shot, well acted (I didn't realise that Tommen from Game of Thrones was in it - and didn't recognise him when watching the film) the dialogue was good - and am so pleased they stayed away (apart from one scene which was understandable) from the seemingly de rigueur in fighting between soldiers who appear to hate their own more than the enemy.

Instead, the script lent more to soldiers who actually cared about each other and a few of the interchanges were heart-warming.

Really pleased to see both Indian and Afro-Caribbean representation within the ranks. Good work Sam Mendes.

For a war film, there wasn't that much actual fighting but that didn't seem to matter - it still worked. For those that don't know what happens, there were one or two shocks along the way to keep the audience on their toes - one I truly wasn't expecting.

Niggles? Yes there always are and for me the biggest was that the German soldiers shot with all the deadly accuracy of a Star Wars Stormtrooper.... 1917 as a film title for this story? I think they could and should have come up with something more relevant to the story being told.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/16/2020 5:52:12 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3402
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/18/2020 6:55:56 AM   
shunwick

It's biblical Armageddon. The forces of heaven and hell are marshalling for the final battle. The Anti-Christ has been born, the Four Horseman have been summoned and Death stalks the land.

Good Omens, an Amazon Studios and BBC Studios 6 part production of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's ripping yarn of the end times, is currently running on Amazon Prime, BB2 and BBC iPlayer. David Tennant and Michael Sheen, as the demon Crowley and the angel Aziraphale are both excellent. Really good performances by the whole cast. Very much worth watching.

Apocalypse anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUJoR4vlIIs

The End is Nigh....

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 1/18/2020 7:12:52 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3403
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/18/2020 9:04:23 AM   
warspite1

quote:

It's biblical Armageddon. The forces of heaven and hell are marshalling for the final battle. The Anti-Christ has been born, the Four Horseman have been summoned and Death stalks the land.

Good Omens, an Amazon Studios and BBC Studios 6 part production of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's ripping yarn of the end times, is currently running on Amazon Prime, BB2 and BBC iPlayer. David Tennant and Michael Sheen, as the demon Crowley and the angel Aziraphale are both excellent. Really good performances by the whole cast. Very much worth watching.

Apocalypse anyone?

The End is Nigh....

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Got a really bad review in the Telegraph - but based on your recommendation I will give this a go.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3404
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/18/2020 10:24:20 AM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

Apocalypse anyone?

The End is Nigh....

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Got a really bad review in the Telegraph - but based on your recommendation I will give this a go.

Depends, I suppose, on whether or not Terry Pratchett's style of storytelling is your cup of tea. The reviews in The Times and the Evening Standard are a mile away from the Telegraph's assassination.

This is Council of Geeks spoiler free review of the whole series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0sHUk-92pY

I enjoyed part 1 and certainly looking forward to future episodes.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 1/18/2020 10:34:16 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3405
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/1/2020 6:29:36 PM   
warspite1

Identity Thief

An okay film - with a sort of feel good element. McCarthy and Bateman worked well together. Only problem is the subject matter. Scam artists and fraudsters should all break rocks for the rest of their natural - and as for those that target the elderly and vulnerable.....

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3406
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/3/2020 2:39:25 PM   
Red2112

Older vs younger (broken soilder)...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSTdUqgIdyk

Red

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3407
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/4/2020 6:25:06 AM   
nicwb

quote:

quote:

quote:

Apocalypse anyone?

The End is Nigh....

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Depends, I suppose, on whether or not Terry Pratchett's style of storytelling is your cup of tea. The reviews in The Times and the Evening Standard are a mile away from the Telegraph's assassination.

This is Council of Geeks spoiler free review of the whole series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0sHUk-92pY

I enjoyed part 1 and certainly looking forward to future episodes.

Best wishes,
Steve

Reading the book at the moment -if the TV series is anywhere near as good should be very enjoyable. But as you say typical Terry Pratchett quite a fair bit of satire.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 3408
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/4/2020 11:32:01 AM   
RFalvo69

"The War" by Ken Burns on Netflix.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 3409
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/6/2020 7:43:58 PM   
loki100

Went to see The Lighthouse, file it under very very wierd. Some superb shots and very atmospheric, but ended up very bemused.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 3410
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/6/2020 8:33:28 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Went to see The Lighthouse, file it under very very wierd. Some superb shots and very atmospheric, but ended up very bemused.
warspite1

I bet that was illuminating.

Arf arf, a little lighthouse humour there....

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3411
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/6/2020 9:06:46 PM   
loki100

a major feature of the film was the huge horn ...

oh and a psychopathic seagull and what may have been a mermaid

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3412
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/6/2020 9:12:08 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

loki, was the seagull called Scuttle? Was the mermaid named Aerial? Come to think of it, were you really watching The Little Mermaid?

There was a comment I could have made about the huge horn and Prince Eric but we'll leave it there in the interests of decency...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3413
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/7/2020 1:56:57 PM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

warspite1

loki, was the seagull called Scuttle? Was the mermaid named Aerial? Come to think of it, were you really watching The Little Mermaid?

There was a comment I could have made about the huge horn and Prince Eric but we'll leave it there in the interests of decency...

could well have been, if thats the one where at the start all their machinery is taut and properly oiled and in the end its gone flacid and damp?

< Message edited by loki100 -- 2/7/2020 1:57:19 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3414
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/7/2020 2:25:01 PM   
Rising-Sun

Got through watching Curse of the Oak Island Collection of all sixth seasons and was interesting show. Gf and I looking forward to watch part seven onward, look like they redid those shows.

You can buy the collection season 1 to 6 for around 45 bucks off from amazon. So you wouldn't have to buy single every one of those season dvd, etc. Some of those seasons are crazy expensive on amazon, for example season three for 35+.

Edited, just saw this at Walmart for like 25+, that not a bad deal.

< Message edited by Rising-Sun -- 2/9/2020 10:17:22 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3415
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/7/2020 7:38:03 PM   
Zorch

This just in: Danny Trejo has been killed 65 times (in films).

Death drive: why Danny Trejo's doomed legend will live for ever https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/feb/04/danny-trejo-christopher-lee-most-killed-actor

Sean Bean has some ground to make up...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 3416
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/7/2020 9:55:21 PM   
RangerJoe

That is a nice article.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3417
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/10/2020 5:08:14 PM   
Simulacra53

Pleasantly surprised by T-34 on Netflix.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3418
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/10/2020 5:20:08 PM   
warspite1

Last night saw the return of Endeavour and a very welcome return to form. Endeavour's relationship with Fred Thursday has developed an edge - and not unnoticed by Jim Strange, who's character is also developing nicely - perhaps we are now starting to see the real beginnings of Endeavour morphing into Morse.

Superb

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 3419
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 2/18/2020 6:10:28 PM   
CGGrognard

History channels’ Washington. Seems decent for the first two episodes.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3420
Page:   <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI