Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  120 121 [122] 123 124   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/26/2020 6:46:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I don't really know how to answer that. Not having read the books I haven't known what to expect in any of the films. They all seem like stories you can drive a big red train through - and I don't recall Goblet of Fire being much different - but still entertaining enough .

I never really know who is 'my' Doctor. I suppose its Redbeard Rum (Tom Baker), but I certainly remember watching Jon Pertwee (I went to infants school with his son for a short time). I remember there was an episode with huge maggot things that frightened the life out of me at the time. All I remember about Katy Manning was that she took some saucy pictures with some daleks.... naughty girl!

[Moderation: Let's keep it G-rated please ;) ]

Apologies - I thought it was on the right side of the taste barrier, no offence intended .

Did you ever do a Dr Who female companions vote in the Australian Beauties thread?

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Yes indeedy - have a look at Post 5830 onwards

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3083586&mpage=195&key=elizabeth%2Csladen

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3631
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/26/2020 7:40:06 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't really know how to answer that. Not having read the books I haven't known what to expect in any of the films. They all seem like stories you can drive a big red train through - and I don't recall Goblet of Fire being much different - but still entertaining enough .

I never really know who is 'my' Doctor. I suppose its Redbeard Rum (Tom Baker), but I certainly remember watching Jon Pertwee (I went to infants school with his son for a short time). I remember there was an episode with huge maggot things that frightened the life out of me at the time. All I remember about Katy Manning was that she took some saucy pictures with some daleks.... naughty girl!

Apologies - I thought it was on the right side of the taste barrier, no offence intended .

Did you ever do a Dr Who female companions vote in the Australian Beauties thread?

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3083586&mpage=195&key=elizabeth%2Csladen

Ah yes. I remember now. Leela wuz robbed....

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3632
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/26/2020 8:37:23 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

If you can, personally console her . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3633
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/27/2020 12:29:57 AM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

If you can, personally console her . . .

I would happily console Leela. Louise Jameson ... Ill make the Ovaltine.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3634
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/27/2020 6:50:19 AM   
warspite1

Just went back over that competition. Good fun and, importantly, the rightful winner

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3635
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/27/2020 10:03:39 AM   
loki100

realise I'm late with this but just finished watching Fort Salem. I guess I stuck with it so it can't have been too awful but I really wasn't interested (in the sense of caring, just wanted to see how they were going to tie it all up).

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3636
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/27/2020 10:45:49 AM   
Zorch

quote:

Just went back over that competition. Good fun and, importantly, the rightful winner

Leela begs to differ...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3637
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/27/2020 3:30:20 PM   
warspite1

Watched a three part documentary series about Rupert Murdoch. A very well put together documentary and thoroughly recommended.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3638
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/27/2020 6:03:55 PM   
rustysi

Who?

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3639
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/27/2020 9:25:36 PM   
redcoat

I’ve just watched the Channel 5 documentary George V: The Tyrant King. I did not know very much about him before. The programme is currently available on the Channel 5 website:

https://www.my5.tv/george-v-the-tyrant-king

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 3640
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/29/2020 7:49:52 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: redcoat

I’ve just watched the Channel 5 documentary George V: The Tyrant King. I did not know very much about him before. The programme is currently available on the Channel 5 website:

https://www.my5.tv/george-v-the-tyrant-king

warspite1

Thanks for the tip. Just watched this. I thought it very interesting and fair. Tyrant King? Maybe a little harsh, but if the title gets people watching then that's no bad thing.

Difficult to judge without knowing all the facts at the time, but I have to say - even allowing for hindsight - his decision re Nicholas does seem very callous. Yes there is the argument that revolution was in the air and giving haven to a family that ruled Russia as an absolute monarch would have not necessarily gone down well with many, but even so.....

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 3641
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/29/2020 9:44:45 AM   
redcoat

quote:

warspite1

Thanks for the tip. Just watched this. I thought it very interesting and fair.

You are most welcome old bean.

quote:

warspite1

Tyrant King? Maybe a little harsh, but if the title gets people watching then that's no bad thing.

Indeed. I think the title was chosen to reel people in. Certainly got my attention. He was only a tyrant with his own family.

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3642
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/29/2020 3:16:30 PM   
RangerJoe

Was he a tyrant or was he stern? I don't know if I can watch it where I am.

― Julia Child

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 3643
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/29/2020 3:30:53 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Difficult to know exactly. He was definitely a man with a short fuse. He was someone who didn't seem able to express his emotions and maybe that didn't help.

He clearly wasn't happy with how his son Edward turned out - probably reminded him too much of his own dad.

Like his son George VI, KGV wasn't originally to have been king and he seems unsuited temperamentally to it. Preferring solo pursuits rather than mixing, especially in large crowds.

All that said, it sounds like he made a pretty good king and appeared genuinely concerned for the people over whom he ruled. He was often at the front during WW1.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3644
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/29/2020 4:07:36 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Difficult to know exactly. He was definitely a man with a short fuse. He was someone who didn't seem able to express his emotions and maybe that didn't help.

He clearly wasn't happy with how his son Edward turned out - probably reminded him too much of his own dad.

Like his son George VI, KGV wasn't originally to have been king and he seems unsuited temperamentally to it. Preferring solo pursuits rather than mixing, especially in large crowds.

All that said, it sounds like he made a pretty good king and appeared genuinely concerned for the people over whom he ruled. He was often at the front during WW1.

Would you say that George V allowed Haig to use his friendship for advantage?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3645
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/29/2020 5:59:15 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Yes, the "spare" does not always get the same attention/training as the presumed heir. At least when most people are not expected to die early.

― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3646
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/29/2020 9:04:11 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Sorry I don't know enough about that specific topic to comment

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3647
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/29/2020 11:13:22 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Various books have alleged that Haig used his personal ties to influence George V against PM LLoyd George, who was trying to remove Haig (or at least curtail his authority). I'd have to get out the books to cite references.
Was it improper for Haig to influence the Crown?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3648
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/30/2020 9:49:25 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Various books have alleged that Haig used his personal ties to influence George V against PM LLoyd George, who was trying to remove Haig (or at least curtail his authority). I'd have to get out the books to cite references.
Was it improper for Haig to influence the Crown?
warspite1

Was it improper? Well that's the way the world works isn't it? It's not what we know but who we know No reason he shouldn't try to use whatever connections he had as far as I can see - I mean so long as he doesn't get the compromising photos out while having the conversation.....

But ultimately, even if he did try and use his contacts with the king, KGV was a constitutional monarch and so his influence on the PM only stretched so far. Yes I am sure a PM wouldn't simply ignore the comments or suggestions of the king out of hand, but if he was clear in his own mind that the king was wrong, the king couldn't make him change his mind. That is my Ł0.02 GBP Sterling on the matter, but as I say, its not something I've read anything about.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 8/30/2020 9:50:09 AM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3649
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/31/2020 11:08:00 AM   
gamer78

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10243640/

I have watched some Mexican politics in 5 episodes. Ejército Zapatista de Liberación and the assassination of Luis Donaldo Colosio in 1994. Which was ok but no great depth.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3650
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/4/2020 9:04:40 PM   
warspite1

I just watched The Lost Home Movies of Nazi Germany, a two-parter available on BBC iplayer.

If you get a chance then I would recommend this. As the title suggests, more and more home videos from the Nazi era are being discovered. Encouraged to shoot film of Germany's triumphs, this footage now tells the story of the rise and fall of the barbaric Nazi regime.

But Part 1 in particular is just so ball-breakingly sad.

Near the start of the film we see footage of this little boy and his family before the war - a happy family outing. They are Czech Jews - The Lederer family. At the end of Part 1 we learn their fate.....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/4/2020 9:05:01 PM >

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 3651
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/12/2020 9:22:31 AM   
HunterICX

Currently the main thing I'm watching & following is 'World War 2' Week by Week summary by the Timeghost channel on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP1AejCL4DA7jYkZAELRhHQ

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3652
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/12/2020 1:50:26 PM   
redcoat

quote:

ORIGINAL: HunterICX

Currently the main thing I'm watching & following is 'World War 2' Week by Week summary by the Timeghost channel on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP1AejCL4DA7jYkZAELRhHQ

I'm following it too. It's very good.

George Orwell, 1984

(in reply to HunterICX)
Post #: 3653
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/14/2020 6:39:38 PM   
warspite1

Just watched the last of the six-part series Chasing The Moon (BBC iPlayer)

An excellent series charting the race to land on the moon from Sputnik 1 to the last Apollo mission in 1972

Amazingly the Saturn rockets never had a single failure. All completed their missions (although Apollo 13 was a close run thing).

The tragic crew of Apollo 1 - Grisson, White, Cheffee

The crew of Apollo 11 Armstrong, Collins, Aldrin - The first and last being 2 of the 12 men to have walked on the moon. Collins is one of a further 12 men to have orbited the moon.

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/14/2020 6:48:28 PM >

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 3654
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/15/2020 7:06:09 PM   
johnnyy

The Gentleman 2019 Guy Ritchie

Much enjoyed this Movie

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3655
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/21/2020 4:35:58 PM   
Zorch

A sad note. French actor Michael Lonsdale has died at the age of 89. He had a long and interesting career, including English language films such as Munich, Ronin, and The Day of the Jackal. He will be remembered for his villain in Moonraker, the campiest of the Bond films.

Attachment (2)

(in reply to johnnyy)
Post #: 3656
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/26/2020 8:00:36 AM   
warspite1

Washington Sky

A three part, six hour long documentary on George Washington. I'm halfway through and I have to say it's very well done. I wonder what would have happened if Howe had not allowed Washington, and the remains of his army, to slip through his fingers at Long Island?

I also watched a Channel 5 documentary on Nelson, Nelson: Britain's Great Naval Hero. Again, a very well done, easy to watch documentary.

I would thoroughly recommend both.

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/26/2020 8:58:07 AM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3657
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/26/2020 3:24:40 PM   
RangerJoe

Well, if you read about the weather when George Washington and his army slipped away, you would not find it so surprising. Long Island had very dense fog while New York City had nice weather. Some of George Washington's soldiers were or had been fisherman so they knew how to use the boats and did so quietly.

― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3658
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/27/2020 9:22:51 AM   
Diddlysqu

Currently watching the umbrella academy series, quite a good series.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3659
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/27/2020 9:08:49 PM   
gamer78

A Perfect Crime:
In April 1991, Detlev Rohwedder, the head of Treuhand, the East German Privatization and Restructuring Agency, was assassinated in Dusseldorf. This documentary details the strange evidence recovered.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12939836/

Suspects are Rote Armee Fraktion (Red army faction '3rd generation'), Stasi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stasi) and Federal Germany.

(in reply to Diddlysqu)
Post #: 3660
Page:   <<   < prev  120 121 [122] 123 124   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  120 121 [122] 123 124   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI