Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  124 125 [126] 127 128   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/31/2021 8:24:31 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Started watching Mare of Easttown (Sky Atlantic). Early days but this could be a very nice little series based on the opening episode. Lots going on which should lead to a number of storylines, well acted and suitably small town America bleak.

warspite1

The series ended last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it - with some nice twists along the way. Sadly it looks like there won't be a second series - which is a shame.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3751
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/31/2021 9:48:27 AM   
gamer78

Documentaries about The Nailbomber (1999 London bombings) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12939812/ and anarchist 'Unabomber: In His Own Words' (Ted Kaczynski ) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11833494/. This is crime series but how the police works and the society&media in those times are interesting to watch.

< Message edited by gamer78 -- 5/31/2021 9:49:11 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3752
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/6/2021 6:12:02 PM   
Kuokkanen

Video about today's economy & shortages. Very informative and to the point I must say.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3753
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/8/2021 11:47:27 AM   
gamer78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

Video about today's economy & shortages. Very informative and to the point I must say.

Alasca car rental industry and Japanese car export to America in the pandemic very interesting indeed..

Reminds me "Inside the World's toughest prisons" Greenland Denmark colony prison documentary. Greenland: Prison in the Ice (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13803518/)

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 3754
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/9/2021 7:28:36 AM   
warspite1

Watched a three part series Time (BBC). Would thoroughly recommend this excellent production - written by the brilliant Jimmy McGovern.

The programme was a difficult watch in places - set as it was in a prison with all that means.

The story largely followed a prisoner (Sean Bean) and a prison officer (Stephen Jones), and their lives over a two year period.

I can't overstate the quality of the script and the acting performances - to be expected from Bean and Jones, but also a strong supporting cast.

This was a gripping show.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 3755
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/9/2021 3:24:02 PM   
Simulacra53

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Watched "The Red Baron" last night... romanticized tale of the German Ace that claims to be a realistic view, but I have my doubts. Scratch that... I have a LOT of doubts. The movie didn't mention how many of his victories resulted from shooting down observation planes either. Fun filled fluff... not particularly recommended, but the planes are nice.

It is an ok flick, with some interesting aerial work - especially the markings on the German aircraft are nice and some of the characters.
The story….well, on the level of most war movies.

Why do you emphasize that point on observation aircraft?

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 3756
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/9/2021 3:57:16 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simulacra53

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Watched "The Red Baron" last night... romanticized tale of the German Ace that claims to be a realistic view, but I have my doubts. Scratch that... I have a LOT of doubts. The movie didn't mention how many of his victories resulted from shooting down observation planes either. Fun filled fluff... not particularly recommended, but the planes are nice.

It is an ok flick, with some interesting aerial work - especially the markings on the German aircraft are nice and some of the characters.
The story….well, on the level of most war movies.

Why do you emphasize that point on observation aircraft?

Sadly, Rhonda passed away several years ago. It's unlikely that she will reply to your question about her post from 10 years ago.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 3757
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/9/2021 6:09:11 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

Sadly, Rhonda passed away several years ago.
warspite1

Ahhh Rhonda. Yes that was sad indeed - lost her last battle, but not without a fight. What a very nice lady - RIP

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 3758
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/12/2021 9:32:17 PM   
Zorch

Knighted! Sir Jonathan Pryce

Attachment (3)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3759
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/13/2021 5:35:42 PM   
Kuokkanen

Just watched a documentary about first tank battles, including the first tank-on-tank action. Among commentators is the legendary David Fletcher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksECd5V1TpY

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3760
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/13/2021 8:01:20 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

Just watched a documentary about first tank battles, including the first tank-on-tank action. Among commentators is the legendary David Fletcher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksECd5V1TpY

Thank you, that was interesting.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 3761
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/14/2021 6:30:11 AM   
Jonathan Pollard

quote:

ORIGINAL: gamer78

Documentaries about The Nailbomber (1999 London bombings) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12939812/ and anarchist 'Unabomber: In His Own Words' (Ted Kaczynski ) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11833494/. This is crime series but how the police works and the society&media in those times are interesting to watch.

You might also be interested in 'Disbelief' about the 1999 apartment bombings in Russia which stopped only after FSB agents were caught placing a sack of explosives in the basement of an apartment building, which they claimed was merely 'sugar' that was part of an 'exercise.' https://archive.org/details/Disbelief2004

You can also see on Youtube the reports from mainstream media about the terrorists who were caught in the act of trying to blow up the George Washington Bridge on 9/11/2001:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrs4YasgTi0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVhBXFly-jM

< Message edited by Jonathan Pollard -- 6/14/2021 6:39:01 AM >

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 3762
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/15/2021 3:32:37 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

Sadly, Rhonda passed away several years ago.
warspite1

Ahhh Rhonda. Yes that was sad indeed - lost her last battle, but not without a fight. What a very nice lady - RIP

You said it, warspite1. A very nice Lady indeed. May she rest in peace.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3763
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/17/2021 3:44:23 AM   
Mishalk1

Watching a Netflix series of "The Boys"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3764
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/19/2021 5:06:59 PM   
Mishalk1

1 Fatherhood
2 Army Of The Dead

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3765
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/21/2021 8:21:33 AM   
Para87

Any recommendations for series like Portilo's 'Railway Journeys", Tarant's "Extreme Railways" and Tony Robinson's "Around the World by Train" current or from the past would be greatly appreciated

(in reply to Mishalk1)
Post #: 3766
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/21/2021 1:17:14 PM   
RangerJoe

Animal House, a highly educational movie.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Para87)
Post #: 3767
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/22/2021 6:10:36 PM   
Kuokkanen

History of pizza, and 500 years old pizza recipe & taste test, in 19 minutes.

< Message edited by Kuokkanen -- 6/22/2021 6:16:56 PM >

MekWars

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3768
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/26/2021 10:47:39 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Speaking of very watchable - if you have access to the BBC or iplayer then you would do worse than to watch The Planets with Dr Brian Cox. Do I understand much of what he's talking about? No. But that does not stop what he's saying taking your breath away. I never knew Venus and Mars both once teemed with water.

This dude knows his stuff.... and it's fascinating.

warspite1

BBC4 have some really good documentaries. Hot on the heals of The Planets, Brian Cox presented Adventures in Space and Time. This a four-parter where he looks back at the programs he made in the last ten years to show how much more we've learned since.

His enthusiasm for his subject is so infectious. No idea what he's talking about half the time, but it's unmissable all the same!!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3769
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/27/2021 10:30:09 AM   
nYn

Soviet Storm: World War II — In The East.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3770
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/29/2021 2:51:20 PM   
warspite1

BBC4 is the mutts nutts.

I watched a program on Indian partition. This was a one-off program that sought to understand more about the real reason for the partition. Very interesting.

There is a six part series on BBC4 and iplayer called World War II Behind Closed Doors. First episode was about the NS Pact. Nothing ground-breaking but a very well put together first episode (and hopefully series).

(in reply to nYn)
Post #: 3771
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/5/2021 4:56:52 PM   
warspite1

SPOILER ALERT

The Handmaids Tale
Season 4 Episode 3

Oh no!! We've lost the best looking Handmaid!! Word to the wise. When crossing a train track, always look to see if a train is coming - even if being chased by a gun wielding buffoon

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3772
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/17/2021 6:12:35 AM   
warspite1

I started watching Midway but had to break off. I got up to just after the attack on Pearl. I must admit I wasn't hugely impressed and the fact that I haven't felt the need to re-start it perhaps says it all. I mean it didn't look like its going to be in Pearl Harbor territory, but....

I no doubt will endeavour to finish the film and I hope it gets better.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3773
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/17/2021 3:56:12 PM   
cpdeyoung

I enjoyed the film. Some on this forum did not.

I would recommend you finish it up.

Chuck

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3774
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/6/2021 5:24:43 PM   
Zorch

Jean-Paul Belmondo, actor of screen and stage, has died. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000901/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Attachment (3)

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 3775
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/6/2021 6:15:14 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

SPOILER ALERT

The Handmaids Tale
Season 4 Episode 3

Oh no!! We've lost the best looking Handmaid!! Word to the wise. When crossing a train track, always look to see if a train is coming - even if being chased by a gun wielding buffoon

Handmaids, eh. So this is a documentary on body-rub parlours? Strange garb for that profession ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3776
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/8/2021 6:33:20 PM   
Vivaldi

A Touch of Frost

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3777
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/8/2021 9:42:43 PM   
gamer78

"In Kyrgyzstan, players throw themselves into the national sport of kok boru, a rough polo-like game played on horses - with a dead goat as the ball."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12595580/
https://www.netflix.com/tr-en/title/80227160

(in reply to Vivaldi)
Post #: 3778
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/8/2021 10:51:08 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: gamer78

"In Kyrgyzstan, players throw themselves into the national sport of kok boru, a rough polo-like game played on horses - with a dead goat as the ball."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12595580/
https://www.netflix.com/tr-en/title/80227160

I guess that the game would tenderize the meat . . .

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-places/kok-boru-the-horse-game-you-wont-see-at-the-olympics-18386029/

― Julia Child

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 3779
Page:   <<   < prev  124 125 [126] 127 128   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  124 125 [126] 127 128   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI