Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/2/2016 10:12:38 AM   
warspite1

Home Fires and Indian Summers continue to prove highly entertaining - no one else watch these? and Penny Dreadful to come shortly! Hussah!

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 2041
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/4/2016 6:23:32 AM   
warspite1

Bonus! Penny Dreadful returned last night! Have this on record to watch as soon as possible

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2042
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/8/2016 8:04:05 PM   
warspite1

Penny Dreadful doesn't appear to be resting on its laurels. Very interesting opening episode - Dr Jekyll, Mr Renfield and Dracula have all joined the cast!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2043
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/9/2016 5:04:44 AM   
parusski

Better Call Saul, season 2 and season 6 of the almighty Game of Thrones.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2044
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/12/2016 4:57:54 AM   
nicwb

"The Fighting Lady"

WW2 era documentary/propaganda piece about the USS Yorktown operational life from Kwajalein to the Battle of the Philippine Sea. Lots of footage of day to day life plus images of the carrier under fire and air strikes by the carrier pilot. Looks to be the source material for a lot of the most familiar images of US carriers at war.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 2045
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/15/2016 11:32:06 AM   
warspite1

Started watching Billions last night on Sky Atlantic. Early days but looks like being another classy production from this channel

Attachment (1)

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 2046
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/15/2016 2:47:42 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Started watching Billions last night on Sky Atlantic. Early days but looks like being another classy production from this channel

Remember that a British 'billion' is not the same as an American billion...we would call the show 'Thousands of Millions'.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2047
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/15/2016 8:36:32 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

Remember that a British 'billion' is not the same as an American billion...we would call the show 'Thousands of Millions'.
warspite1

But its an American production

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/how-many-is-a-billion

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2048
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/15/2016 9:16:57 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Oh. In that case, it needs to be re-titled 'Millions of Millions' for imperial viewers.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2049
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/15/2016 9:22:55 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Oh. In that case, it needs to be re-titled 'Millions of Millions' for imperial viewers.
warspite1

Something like that

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2050
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/17/2016 7:47:53 PM   
warspite1

No one watch this either??? Wow

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2051
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/17/2016 8:59:19 PM   
Orm

quote:

I wish I could.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2052
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/20/2016 8:18:46 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

I wish I could.
warspite1

That's a real shame - 2nd episode of Billions and this is GOOD - 3rd episode of the 3rd series of Penny Dreadful and the storyline gets ever more interesting.

Probably another series that no one else watches but I finally found some episodes of series 3 of The Americans on Sky. For some reason I can only watch a few episodes though - but it looks like I can start to watch Series 4.

Hussah!!!

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/22/2016 9:31:34 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2053
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/21/2016 9:24:01 PM   
warspite1

Just watched the Channel 4 documentary on Jutland. Interesting in places - not least what actually happened to HMS Indefatigable - although as is often the case it promises more in the preamble (which went on for too long) than it could deliver.

I don't understand why HMS Black Prince sailing away from the German lines is a mystery as she was spotted, on fire, from more than one destroyer. Maybe I just assumed she was heading toward the British lines at the time but no one could tell from the few eyewitness accounts available?

Anyway, worth watching all in all.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/21/2016 9:36:55 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2054
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/25/2016 10:50:15 PM   
warspite1

Great episode of Penny Dreadful - just three cast members in total. Brilliant.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2055
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/30/2016 9:14:13 AM   
warspite1

Watched another Jutland documentary last night. The Royal Navy's bloodiest battle. I have to say, bar a few minor gripes, this was very interesting. The program centred around three main things a) Were the British ships badly designed and b) why did five blow up with such catastrophic loss of life and, c) how should Jutland be viewed?

Most interesting was the design section. Every book about the battle that I've read states that the German ships were much better in withstanding punishment - and the number of watertight sections in the German ships is always mentioned.

In the program they compared Queen Mary with Seydlitz. Queen Mary had just one water tight bulkhead less. They then used a computer program and a mock up of the Queen Mary's hull, and subjected the hull to exactly the same damage (including the torpedo) that Seydlitz suffered (the Germans photographed every hit taken by their ships) to see if she would sink. The Queen Mary, like the Seydlitz, did not sink. This was interesting. In the previous Jutland program one of the contributors (Norman Friedman no less) said that had it not been for the explosions, it is likely the British would have lost no battlecruisers that day....

The second part centred on the poor magazine and cordite handling of the British ships. Another test was done. First they ignited cordite in the open air. Result: a lot of smoke and a slow burning fire.

They then mocked up a turret, lift and magazine arrangement with no doors closed between the compartments. A few bags of cordite were placed in the turret and the bulk in the magazine. The bags in the turret were then ignited, replicating a shell hit. The flame then seeks the path of least resistance, travelled down the lift and into the magazine. Unlike in open air, in an enclosed space, the cordite simply explodes with frightening force. Obviously this does not confirm that a direct hit on the magazine was not the cause - and this can probably never be known for certain.

The third part was a mix of the human cost to the RN - and briefly looked at two 16 and 17 year old's that died on the Queen Mary, and also what the battle result meant.

The Germans kept a record of the vital stats of their school children in all the big cities at various ages. It is amazing to see from this alone just how much the blockade - which Jutland reinforced - hurt the Germans and helped bring an end to the war. You see that year on year the average height of the children went down and down. Nick Jellicoe in the book Jutland The Unfinished Battle describes the rations that the German sailors, largely bottled up in port after the battle had to rely upon. Grim.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/30/2016 4:29:35 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2056
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/31/2016 11:15:40 AM   
Pvt_Grunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

Better Call Saul, season 2 and season 6 of the almighty Game of Thrones.

I really enjoyed S1 of Better Call Saul, much more than I expected to. Bob O is a great actor and there was just enough humour in it.

GoT of course too, just waiting for that Bas**** High Sparrow to get his head lopped off!

Also just started watching The Night Manager only 1 Ep down but it is interesting so far.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 2057
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/31/2016 7:28:54 PM   
warspite1

Oooohh I say, us naval enthusiasts are being spoiled for choice at the moment - there's a two part documentary on the Hood and the Bismarck on More 4. Coolio.

(in reply to Pvt_Grunt)
Post #: 2058
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/7/2016 8:47:52 AM   
warspite1

Huzzah! Just read that a fifth and sixth series will be made of The Americans.

Absolute quality production.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/7/2016 8:55:05 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2059
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/7/2016 9:36:45 AM   
parusski

quote:

It is indeed a quality production. I just finished episode 10 of season 4. Fantastic.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2060
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/7/2016 5:18:51 PM   
AbwehrX

Two Jutland docs back to back. Sweet deal!

Jutland: Clash Of The Dreadnoughts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCGOE6UiAWo

WW1 The Battle of Jutland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bad90XZyH4w

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 2061
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/10/2016 7:13:37 AM   
warspite1

Second part of Versailles this week. Definitely think it was worth sticking with it. No idea how much is true to reality, but its a good introduction to a part of European history, and one of the most important European monarchs, that I know nothing about.

Billions remains unmissable TV. Thoroughly recommend this one

(in reply to AbwehrX)
Post #: 2062
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/15/2016 9:08:14 PM   
warspite1

SPOILER ALERT

As mentioned in the AB thread, the wonderfully gruesome Penny Dreadful comes to a climax this weekend.

This really is a superb series with some really strong episodes. The story of Mr Clare continues to develop and there was a couple of beautifully touching scenes when he is reunited with his family. Beautiful.

Roy Kinnear's son is a very good actor

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2063
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/22/2016 5:55:50 PM   
warspite1

SPOILER ALERT

Well Penny Dreadful comes to an end. Not just Series 3 but the whole thing. I guess that is the correct decision. There has been a real feel of tidying up the loose ends this time around - Ethan's story in the US and Mr Clare's too. I would like to know what led to him being used by Dr Frankenstein though (unless I missed the explanation somewhere along the line).

Thoroughly enjoyed all three seasons - the last two especially - but where could they take it from here without the leading lady?

Arguably the best bit of the finale came from a surprising source. The scene where Frankenstein agreed to release Lily was touching - and his decision totally understandable.

Brilliant show 10/10

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/22/2016 5:59:41 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2064
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/3/2016 6:49:02 PM   
warspite1

Glad I stuck with Versailles - its been surprisingly good - if a little gruesome.... no one else watching this?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2065
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/4/2016 7:16:25 AM   
warspite1

SPOILER ALERT

A truly wonderful episode of The Americans last night. Great story telling, acting and script such that at the same one feel's sorry for, and hopes everything works out for, both the Americans and the Russians - but most of all Martha. As I missed Season III I do not know to what extent she knew she was being a traitor or whether she was still being duped (as she was in Season II), but even if she is a traitor, I still feel sorry for her situation. Great, great acting from Matthew Rhys and Alison Wright.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2066
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/8/2016 8:19:44 PM   
Orm

quote:

And I am only on season two.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2067
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/8/2016 10:46:56 PM   
MunGuel

Games of Thrones!! I want more and more series!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2068
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/12/2016 9:19:39 PM   
Orm

Just begun watching season three of The Americans. I hope season three is better than the last episodes of season two because that was a slight disappointment. To weak story in my humble opinion. A nail only go so far, and boiling several episodes on one nail is just hot water.

(in reply to MunGuel)
Post #: 2069
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/12/2016 9:23:00 PM   
warspite1

Just saw Spectre. It was alright I suppose but not raving about it. Casino Royale remains the Bond film imo.

Now, remind me, who was in Casino Royale again?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2070
Page:   <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI