Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/6/2017 1:07:14 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I watched Valkyrie again yesterday. No idea to what extent it is a historical representation of the facts, but regardless, on second viewing it remains a thoroughly enjoyable film to watch.

It's generally factually correct but I didn't think it's very good and Cruise does a poor job of representing Stauffenberg. The critics generally agree. A much better film on the subject is this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stauffenberg_(film)

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2461
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/6/2017 5:32:04 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

I watched Valkyrie again yesterday. No idea to what extent it is a historical representation of the facts, but regardless, on second viewing it remains a thoroughly enjoyable film to watch.

It's generally factually correct but I didn't think it's very good and Cruise does a poor job of representing Stauffenberg. The critics generally agree. A much better film on the subject is this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stauffenberg_(film)

Cheers, Neilster

warspite1

I am sure they could have got many better choices for the lead role. Perhaps the subject matter of the film (hardly likely to guarantee a box-office hit with audiences today) meant that the producers needed a name to ensure it wasn't a commercial flop?

But Cruise, although a bit light-weight, is not imo a bad actor - in fact he's very watchable. It's just that in comparison with the likes of Branagh, Stamp, Nighy, Hollander, Wilkinson etc he doesn't quite cut the mustard - but I don't think his performance distracts in any way from the film.

I haven't seen the version you mention (although would certainly like to) but I read the reviews on IMDB and interestingly it is less well rated (small no. of raters though) than Valkyrie, and some of those giving it high marks seem to do so either because Tom Cruise is not in it and/or 'real'? German actors are.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 2462
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/6/2017 2:52:14 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

And of course, soon to come its the biggie - Game of Thrones Series 7

What episode (or portion of an episode) is the over / under (fnar fnar) for a seriously wanton display of naughty bits?

I'll say it's in the first 1/3 of episode 1. Any takers? And at what odds?
warspite1

Do you mean beeeewwbs? Well there probably won't be much time for naughty bits once the white walkers roll into town, so yes, maybe they will get that in early (fnarr, fnarr).

Point of order. I sincerely hope that I have not been misspelling that staple, that mainstay British expression of lewdness, innuendo and indecent thought about all things naughty. Have I?

ETA: According to Oxford Dictionaries online, either spelling is acceptable. Whew!

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/fnarr_fnarr

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 7/6/2017 3:56:23 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2463
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/8/2017 4:39:17 PM   
Orm

quote:

I've been looking at lots of the Honest Trailers on You Tube.

Some of these are extremely funny....

Beeeewbs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_2024493747&feature=iv&index=96&list=PL86F4D497FD3CACCE&src_vid=3LHmkVqYgKo&v=SVaD8rouJn0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38_c6dh6Y6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LHmkVqYgKo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1CI3e4w9CI

Indeed.

Finally caught up enough of Game of Thrones to dare giving these a watch.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2464
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/12/2017 5:34:06 PM   
Orm

Macedonian Battle Tactics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juH-ckrN-cQ

Nice, short, and educational.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2465
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/12/2017 7:34:06 PM   
warspite1

Been watching a few of the Seconds from Disaster series - The Kings Cross fire, Columbia Space Shuttle and The Kursk submarine. Very well done documentaries.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2466
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/13/2017 8:20:49 PM   
Zorch

Game of Thrones: the 10 burning questions that must be answered

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jul/13/game-of-thrones-season-seven-7-the-10-burning-questions-that-must-be-answered

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2467
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/13/2017 10:53:43 PM   
VPaulus

"Five Came Back"

A must see 3 part Netflix documentary, related with the five Hollywood directors who filmed WW2, William Wyler, Frank Capra, George Stevens, John Ford and John Huston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JuiCTz6Khw

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2468
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/13/2017 11:51:37 PM   
Aurelian

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 2469
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/16/2017 1:14:32 AM   
Zorch

Idiot's Guide to Game of Thrones Season 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBxzGEGB3_U

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 2470
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/16/2017 6:27:33 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

warspite1

Are there any spoilers in this for Season 7 and beyond Zorch old boy?

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2471
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/16/2017 6:28:20 AM   
warspite1

Watched Apollo 13 again yesterday. What a very, very good film

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2472
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/16/2017 7:10:46 AM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

warspite1

Are there any spoilers in this for Season 7 and beyond Zorch old boy?

No - just speculation.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2473
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/16/2017 6:49:59 PM   
warspite1

Well its now official... that'll divide opinion

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/07/16/doctor-jodie-whittaker-replace-peter-capaldi-time-lord-regeneration/

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2474
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/16/2017 7:12:32 PM   
Orm

quote:

Watched Apollo 13 again yesterday. What a very, very good film

Indeed.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2475
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/16/2017 9:20:30 PM   
warspite1

Poldark Series 3 is hotting up nicely. Poor Morwenna has finally married the hideous Reverend Whitworth who is about to show his true colours.... lumme!

Meanwhile Fearless concludes tomorrow. A classy show so far, let's hope the ending doesn't disappoint.

Then its the biggy, Game of Thrones starts tomorrow - really looking forward to that one .

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2476
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/16/2017 9:28:30 PM   
Zorch

quote:

Poldark Series 3 is hotting up nicely. Poor Morwenna has finally married the hideous Reverend Whitworth who is about to show his true colours.... lumme!

Meanwhile Fearless concludes tomorrow. A classy show so far, let's hope the ending doesn't disappoint.

Then its the biggy, Game of Thrones starts tomorrow - really looking forward to that one .

I'm rooting for the White Walkers.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2477
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/17/2017 1:54:53 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Not here it doesn't. It's on NOW. You'll be surprised just how many Lannisters die in the first episode, mate. Holy cow! They've got all 'em-big and tall and short! Just in one episode!*

*This may not be entirely accurate.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2478
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/17/2017 8:37:15 PM   
Zorch

I have a great idea for the Dr. Who Christmas special. He tries to stop a war between a race of misunderstood cold loving skeletal creatures and some bloodthirsty hot blooded nobles with swords and dragons. To assist the Dr's regeneration, there is a young woman with unique identity shifting skills...oh wait, she's already been on Dr. Who.
Well, there is this other young woman named Clara...

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2479
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/17/2017 10:33:11 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

I remember watching Poldark in the 70's and was one of my favourite series at the time. Usually the remakes are worse than the originals. How is this versus the original one?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2480
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/18/2017 6:03:26 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

quote:

I remember watching Poldark in the 70's and was one of my favourite series at the time. Usually the remakes are worse than the originals. How is this versus the original one?

warspite1

I watched the original too, although given the length of time, I cannot remember too much about it. I remember enjoying it at the time though. I would say that if the original was better than this production then it would have been extremely good because this new version is excellent .

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 2481
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/18/2017 6:24:11 AM   
warspite1

GoT Spoiler Alert

Great to have GoT back! The first episode was minus the usual violence (although the opening scene was good for getting the series 7 body count up and running) However there were no beeeewwbs and too much of the extreme language. They are obviously using that less sparingly this time around and there's no real need for that imo. Clegane's character continues to evolve - his sorrow when coming across the father and daughter he'd met previously (series 5 or 6?) was touching - and I actually find myself rooting for the guy

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2482
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/18/2017 7:19:07 AM   
Zorch

quote:

GoT Spoiler Alert
Clegane's character continues to evolve - his sorrow when coming across the father and daughter he'd met previously (series 5 or 6?) was touching - and I actually find myself rooting for the guy

The show is just setting us up to kill him in heartbreaking fashion.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2483
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/18/2017 8:43:34 AM   
terje439

quote:

Well its now official... that'll divide opinion

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/07/16/doctor-jodie-whittaker-replace-peter-capaldi-time-lord-regeneration/

It sure did. Going to be interesting how this will be done. Alas, soooo long untill th enext season

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2484
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/18/2017 8:45:26 AM   
terje439

quote:

and I actually find myself rooting for the guy

I actually find myself rooting for most of the people in the show, with a few exceptions (Bolton, Jeoffrey etc), I even have some sympathy for Cersei tbh.

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2485
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/18/2017 12:09:18 PM   
redcoat

Cersei isn't a bad weather girl, but her forecasts always seem to be the same: cold with a chance of Snow over the Wall ... cloudy with a chance of rain in the North ... Winter is Coming ...

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2486
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/18/2017 4:15:04 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: redcoat

Cersei isn't a bad weather girl, but her forecasts always seem to be the same: cold with a chance of Snow over the Wall ... cloudy with a chance of rain in the North ... Winter is Coming ...

warspite1

To be fair, I think Yanet is slightly better....gives out warmer weather too

Attachment (1)

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 2487
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/18/2017 4:21:03 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

I actually find myself rooting for most of the people in the show, with a few exceptions (Bolton, Jeoffrey etc), I even have some sympathy for Cersei tbh.
warspite1

Indeed - one of the many strengths of the program is that people are people and - with a few exceptions like those you named - characters are not all good or all bad. So yes, we have the pantomine villains like Joffrey and Ramsey, but in the main the characters are more nuanced - even the good ones have their faults and the bad ones have their positives. I actually like the characters of Cersei and Jaime

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2488
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/18/2017 4:21:48 PM   
Aurelian

Wheeler Dealers. Will check out the new season, but without Edd China, doubt it will be worth it.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2489
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/18/2017 5:45:31 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

Cersei was my favourite in the books. Looking from outside, she was like stark raving mad, but always when reading through her POV it all made perfect sense

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2490
Page:   <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI