Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  87 88 [89] 90 91   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/11/2017 8:02:20 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I was really excited to see a poster yesterday at my train station for a film called:

The Death of Stalin

However, at the bottom of the poster was the tag line - A comedy of terrors... I assumed from that that this wasn't a serious film and sure enough it is a satire.

When I got home I checked out a trailer for it - and it looks pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukJ5dMYx2no

And Michael Palin is Molotov, of cocktail fame.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2641
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/13/2017 7:03:05 PM   
Orm

Re-watching The Last Kingdom.

I am surprised that not more here watch this great show.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2642
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/13/2017 8:12:27 PM   
VPaulus

Just finished seeing Deadwood.
Good series. I really like the way it ended.
Beware of the use of constant profanity language...
https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/1457/why-all-the-profanity-in-deadwood

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2643
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/13/2017 8:33:41 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

Just finished seeing Deadwood.
Good series. I really like the way it ended.
Beware of the use of constant profanity language...
https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/1457/why-all-the-profanity-in-deadwood

I liked the show as well. Although I do not recall a good ending. To me it seemed like another season was planned but never materialized. Maybe time to re-watch it.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 2644
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/13/2017 10:16:01 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm
To me it seemed like another season was planned but never materialized.

Yes, you're absolutely right. Another season was planned.
But still I like how it ended even without a the fourth season.
There's a sense that life goes on, and like so often, the powerful will enforce their own will regardless of morals or justice.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2645
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/14/2017 11:03:52 AM   
warspite1

I must say the current series of Cold Feet is excellent - the return of the 5 friends last time out was okay, but this series has notched up the drama nicely

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 2646
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/14/2017 2:46:52 PM   
terje439

quote:

Re-watching The Last Kingdom.

I am surprised that not more here watch this great show.

It is very good, I agree.
Currently watching Netflix' Mindhunter, a quite good show imo.

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2647
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/20/2017 8:11:32 PM   
warspite1

Lots of stuff ending: Liar, Victoria, Rellik but Vietnam still has two episodes to go and there is a good looking drama on BBC about the James I and the Gunpowder Plot coming up - Hussah!

Gunpowder
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05k89f1

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2648
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/21/2017 7:45:30 AM   
terje439

Watching the latest season of Victoria. Started to wonder.
If we assume that they will keep the show running untill the death of Queen Victoria...
Are they going to put Jenna Coleman on a strict burger and pizza diet for the later seasons?

< Message edited by terje439 -- 10/21/2017 7:46:00 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2649
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/21/2017 8:34:48 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Watching the latest season of Victoria. Started to wonder.
If we assume that they will keep the show running untill the death of Queen Victoria...
Are they going to put Jenna Coleman on a strict burger and pizza diet for the later seasons?
warspite1

Wouldn't matter to me if they did

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2650
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/21/2017 9:53:58 PM   
Zazah03

quote:

Disney Pixar's Up - what are stonkingly good film

Me too

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2651
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/22/2017 11:42:52 PM   
Zorch

I'm not big on horror movies, but the french film Raw is worth watching. It's about a teenage girl who goes to veterinary school (really).

(in reply to Zazah03)
Post #: 2652
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/23/2017 12:32:31 AM   
redcoat

Glory (1989) was on the telly and so I watched it again. I first saw it at the cinema when it came out. It has a stirring soundtrack.

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2653
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/24/2017 1:56:04 PM   
Tiger360

I am currently watching India's Daughter. I think the film was based on the 2012 Delhi gang-rape. It's based on the murder of a 23-year-old woman who was a physiotherapy student. Yo man this documentary changed my life! Anyone who would like to check it out..it's directed by Leslee Udwin. It's a nice piece of work.

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 2654
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/27/2017 9:12:33 PM   
warspite1

So I finished The Vietnam War and it remained a quality production throughout the 10 episodes I'm pleased to say. I felt it was very even handed in its treatment and the numbers interviewed from all sides. I would thoroughly recommend this.

I didn't realise just how 'bad' Richard Nixon was, I mean really, what a twat

Right, let's give Gunpowder a go....

(in reply to Tiger360)
Post #: 2655
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/28/2017 12:21:24 AM   
VPaulus

quote:

You should then see "Nixon By Nixon: In His Own Words (HBO Documentary)"...

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 10/28/2017 12:24:44 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2656
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/28/2017 7:30:04 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

quote:

You should then see "Nixon By Nixon: In His Own Words (HBO Documentary)"...
warspite1

Thanks for the link. His comments on women, various religious groups, Black Americans and Mexican Americans was..... thoroughly depressing .

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/28/2017 8:02:42 AM >

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 2657
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/28/2017 11:30:02 AM   
durangokid

quote:

So I finished The Vietnam War and it remained a quality production throughout the 10 episodes I'm pleased to say. I felt it was very even handed in its treatment and the numbers interviewed from all sides. I would thoroughly recommend this.

Completely agree with you, the series is first rate. The quality and balance of the programmes encouraged me to start watching another Ken Burns series, The Civil War on Netflix (UK). Again, an excellent series that gives balance to all points of view.

Considering the series relies on panning across still photographs, you are left with the impression that you've watched a video of the actual events. As one newspaper (Guardian) said, "Burns’s decision to plunder contemporary diaries is without question the most striking aspect of his film."

Without doubt, a quality documentary maker.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2658
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/29/2017 4:08:32 PM   
warspite1

So I watched the BBC three-parter Gunpowder starring Game of Thrones Kit Harrington. Like GoT is was pretty gory on occasion - but then they were pretty horrific times if you found yourself on the wrong side of the law (such as it was). Overall though, this was well worth 3-hours of my time.

It is disappointing that film makers can't stick more to the historical events, but at least in making programs like this - Versailles and Victoria too - it makes me reference the internet to check on the whether events depicted on film are as told. This at least means I get to watch decent drama and get a history lesson at the same time .

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/29/2017 4:09:08 PM >

(in reply to durangokid)
Post #: 2659
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/30/2017 2:51:13 PM   
terje439

quote:

It is disappointing that film makers can't stick more to the historical events Victoria

You mean like Drummond irl being 51 when he was shot?
Also a historical fact; The term "temporarily insane" was first used on the farmer that shot Drummond.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2660
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/30/2017 9:17:07 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

It is disappointing that film makers can't stick more to the historical events Victoria

Also a historical fact; The term "temporarily insane" was first used on the farmer that shot Drummond.
warspite1

Don't get me started on Victoria (ohhh I wish ). I mean the TV series is not renowned for its attention to historically accuracy - at least Drummond was actually shot in real life so they weren't too way out on that one

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2661
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/31/2017 6:55:12 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

USS Indianapolis Men of Courage

So what was the verdict?

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 2662
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/31/2017 7:10:23 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

quote:

In the US...On February 19, 1859, New York Congressman Daniel E. Sickles made history as the first person acquitted by reason of “temporary insanity.” He murdered his wife's lover, Philip Barton Key II, the district attorney of the District of Columbia who was the son of Francis Scott Key. And yes, it's the same Sickles who lost his leg at Gettysburg. One of his lawyers was future SecWar Edwin M. Stanton.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2663
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/3/2017 6:20:15 PM   
terje439

Just finished season 2 of "Norsemen", not yet available on Netflix, so guess you will need a) some IP blocker thingy, and b) to learn norwegian

Picks up where the previous version (available on Netflix here in Norway atleast) left off. Keep pushing silly comments and situations, as well as mocking several things (Braveheart and Donald Trump to mention two).

Afaik they shot this season in two languages as well (the Netflix version was shot with the actors speaking english (so some norwegian-english has to be tolerated (not as bad as Petter Solberg though))).

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 2664
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/3/2017 9:03:03 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

So what was the verdict?

It was-by far-the worst movie I've seen in years. Drek in the beginning. Drivel in the middle. Crap at the end. It took me several sittings to get through it, some on fast forward. I rooted for the sharks.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2665
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/4/2017 4:06:16 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

So what was the verdict?

It was-by far-the worst movie I've seen in years. Drek in the beginning. Drivel in the middle. Crap at the end. It took me several sittings to get through it, some on fast forward. I rooted for the sharks.

Yeah this should be labelled "the other movie that shall not be named"

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2666
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/4/2017 8:07:01 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

So what was the verdict?

That bad, eh?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2667
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/4/2017 8:52:30 AM   
Orm

Thank you for the verdict. Then I will not spend any time on it.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 2668
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/4/2017 1:38:30 PM   
warspite1

BBC's Blue Planet II - what an extraordinary series this is going to be based on the opening episode.

Giant Trevally - bird eating fish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANxlmqF0wj8

Tusk Fish - cracking open a clam shell using a rock

Kobudai - the female of which can change sex

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/4/2017 3:20:14 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2669
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/5/2017 11:55:04 PM   
Red2112

WW2 from space...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdBSwhms7O4

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2670
Page:   <<   < prev  87 88 [89] 90 91   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  87 88 [89] 90 91   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI