Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Question (no Michaelm please)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Question (no Michaelm please) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 10:39:59 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrcar

Gents, I'm happy to facilitate this, I use paypal all the time, I'm in Australia (1 hr north of Melbourne) and I was one of the BETA Testers. Please confirm you are generally happy with this approach. I can also take VISA mastercard through my business, but will need to charge 2% extra to cover costs.

JWE cheques just don't work internationally, costs $20 to have an Australian bank generate a check in US$ for a US bank (and sometimes the US bank will not accept)... even when transferring electronically (which I do frequently in my model train business). Even in Australia I wrote 1 check in the last year for my business, about 2 the year before. Haven't had a a personal cheque account for over 5 years.

Cheers

Rob

jcar, you are Rob from WeBoB, I assume? That'd be enough for me, we have known each other 10 years as members then (tho I haven't been active for a while there).

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 12/4/2011 10:40:49 PM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to jrcar)
Post #: 91
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 10:50:33 PM   
Sardaukar

Lets just try to get along:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19480_6-inspiring-tales-friendship-in-middle-brutal-wars.html

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 92
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 10:58:06 PM   
Bliztk

I`m on it.

I would setup the Paypal/Bank account and give the two options, IBAN nº via private or Paypal account. Sending the checks on foreign currencies I think it`s counter productive. The commision for exchanging the cheque from EUR o USD to Australian dolars would eat the cheque.

I do not how the banks work in Australia, but normally the commision here is 0,1% or 5€, whatever is greater. So with a cheque of 10€, 5 would go for the bank

< Message edited by Bliztk -- 12/4/2011 11:02:49 PM >

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 93
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 11:24:23 PM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bliztk

I do not how the banks work in Australia, but normally the commision here is 0,1% or 5€, whatever is greater. So with a cheque of 10€, 5 would go for the bank

If they can, they'll screw you! (More than anywhere else.) Banks in my country have had no problem fleecing the Ozzie public.

It's at least $20 for an International Money Draft (cheque).
http://www.suncorpbank.com.au/personal/foreign-exchange/drafts
$30 for telgraphic
http://www.suncorpbank.com.au/personal/foreign-exchange/outbound-telegraphic-transfers

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 12/4/2011 11:31:30 PM >

(in reply to Bliztk)
Post #: 94
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 11:29:20 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

quote:

If they can, they'll screw you! (More than anywhere else.) Banks in my country have had no problem fleecing the Ozzie public.

In Soviet Russia banks are robbed by you... In Capitalist USA banks rob you

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 95
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 11:38:36 PM   
jrcar

Hi Sardaukar, yes the same one :) Small gaming world! Have the latest Combat Mission but lack time to play much :(

Yes there is a reason Australian banks are very profitable, and have the highest credit ratings... they don't do anything for nothing...

Thanks for the several PM's I have so far, we probably already have enough for a bottle, I know I owe Michael!

So send money to my PayPal jrcar @ iinet dot net dot au as a "Gift" in Australian Dollars please. Money received by 12 December will be used. After the cut off I will return the funds.

Cheers

Rob

AE BETA Breaker

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 96
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 11:49:29 PM   
n01487477

double post

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 12/4/2011 11:50:24 PM >

(in reply to jrcar)
Post #: 97
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 11:50:10 PM   
n01487477

[edit]sorry meant to do as PM

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 98
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 12:44:26 AM   
pws1225

I hope you guys realize you are dragging me kicking and scratching into the 21st century. A PayPal account, indeed! I hope my family doesn't find out.

The old curmudgeon,
Paul

(in reply to jrcar)
Post #: 99
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 12:47:35 AM   
Miller

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

Obviously all you all want to do is talk. Ok then, figure it amongst yourselves (that will be the day).

Meanwhile, it's happening as described. I have pms from the US, UK, France, Italy, Croatia, Sweden, Finland, Brasil, So.Africa, Aus, NZ, oops and just now Belgium, so far, looking for a place to send a check. I gave them my name and address (sorry Bill). One can either contribute or not.

[ed] and please don't play 12 year-old games. If I get a check for Wiemar D-Marks, I "will" send the police to your door with a complaint for electronic financial fraud. Have a nice day.

JWE, your post no 62 in reply to Rader is a f***ing embarrassment. To suggest that he is wanting to pay with paypal as some sort of point scoring or avoiding payment is pathetic. I suggest you delete that post now to save yourself from any further embarrassment.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 100
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 1:35:27 AM   
jetjockey

I'm in.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 101
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 1:51:45 AM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

quote:

http://www.suncorpbank.com.au/personal/foreign-exchange/drafts
$30 for telgraphic
http://www.suncorpbank.com.au/personal/foreign-exchange/outbound-telegraphic-transfers

I'll vouch for this. Last time I bought an International Money Order in UK pounds from an (nameless) Australian Bank it cost me the equivalent of a third of the amount I was sending (and that was just the commission, the exchange rate wasn't too flash either!! ). Never did that again.

Makes Pay Pals 3% look positively attractive.....

quote:

ORIGINAL: aoffen

Isn't it funny how good intentions can go astray.

I'm with aoffen on this one. I expected much better from this forum.

EDIT: I'm in too - Will be in touch jrcar....

< Message edited by Reg -- 12/5/2011 2:07:05 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 102
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 2:53:39 AM   
wdolson

Coming in late on this today...

It appears the consensus is for me to be the money guy.  I have done donations like this both to keep an e-mail list going and to collect funds for someone who was seriously ill from that e-mail list.  Initially I just wanted to collect via check or cash, but that was way too difficult for people outside the US.  Most of the stories expressed here were expressed by other non-Americans on the mailing list.

So I started accepting Paypal donations and that has worked well.

I set aside a portion of my Paypal account for this fund.  I set the account to accept Australian dollars, but that didn't show up when I created the donate link

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=FYZLYZX6ZFTRN

For those who are more comfortable and able to donate by check, please PM me for the snail mail address. 

As for the time frame, we are getting close to Christmas and we don't have much time.  If there is any hope at all of getting something to him by Christmas, we should have the cutoff no later than Dec 20.  Possibly a little earlier.  If people are OK with it being after Christmas, we could set the cutoff a little later to give people more time.

I will post totals donated, but I won't post names for privacy.  I will try to respond to each donation so you know I got it.  I will send Michael the list of donors when I contact him with the gift.

Considering the number of people who have already said they were in, even if everyone donated only a small amount, we might end up with a sizable pool.  For the sake of flexibility, we might want to consider a gift certificate, or a couple of gift certificates at a couple of places.  I would suggest we set a limit of like $100-$150 Aus for a gift certificate to a place that sells good single malts online and anything else goes to an Amazon.au gift certificate or something else if somebody comes up with something.  Or buy him a bottle of single malt and then send the rest as a gift certificate somewhere else.

It would probably be best if it was someplace online and accepts Paypal.  I thought Amazon accepted Paypal, but I just checked and it looks like they don't.  I'll do some further investigation.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 103
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 3:17:09 AM   
jrcar

I have recieved 6 (updated) donations already, and a couple of pledges, in addition to myself. We have one bottle of something already.

Bill I agree ref the gift voucher.

I'm happy to continue seperately, transfer the totals to you, or receive totals from you.

Cheers

Rob

< Message edited by jrcar -- 12/5/2011 5:21:29 AM >

AE BETA Breaker

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 104
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 3:25:11 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Wow, I hate to see the acrimony for a well-intended and well-deserved Christmas gift. Coming to this I see jrcar and wdolson are good to collect. I'd be happy to send AU$5 by Paypal to either of them as they both are highly upstanding gents. What I'd suggest is rader post the final solution with terms as an edit to his first post--that way we won't have to read the whole thread to figure it out. Worst case I suppose wdolson and jrcar could pool what they collect.

And regarding Paypal, it's the only way I know to send small amounts of money around the world other than by snail mail cash. There's no such animal as personal checks in Korea and wire transfers cost $25 off the top. Paypal is a godsend to expats.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 105
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 4:24:43 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Coming in late on this today...

It appears the consensus is for me to be the money guy.  I have done donations like this both to keep an e-mail list going and to collect funds for someone who was seriously ill from that e-mail list.  Initially I just wanted to collect via check or cash, but that was way too difficult for people outside the US.  Most of the stories expressed here were expressed by other non-Americans on the mailing list.

So I started accepting Paypal donations and that has worked well.

I set aside a portion of my Paypal account for this fund.  I set the account to accept Australian dollars, but that didn't show up when I created the donate link

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=FYZLYZX6ZFTRN

For those who are more comfortable and able to donate by check, please PM me for the snail mail address. 

As for the time frame, we are getting close to Christmas and we don't have much time.  If there is any hope at all of getting something to him by Christmas, we should have the cutoff no later than Dec 20.  Possibly a little earlier.  If people are OK with it being after Christmas, we could set the cutoff a little later to give people more time.

I will post totals donated, but I won't post names for privacy.  I will try to respond to each donation so you know I got it.  I will send Michael the list of donors when I contact him with the gift.

Considering the number of people who have already said they were in, even if everyone donated only a small amount, we might end up with a sizable pool.  For the sake of flexibility, we might want to consider a gift certificate, or a couple of gift certificates at a couple of places.  I would suggest we set a limit of like $100-$150 Aus for a gift certificate to a place that sells good single malts online and anything else goes to an Amazon.au gift certificate or something else if somebody comes up with something.  Or buy him a bottle of single malt and then send the rest as a gift certificate somewhere else.

It would probably be best if it was someplace online and accepts Paypal.  I thought Amazon accepted Paypal, but I just checked and it looks like they don't.  I'll do some further investigation.

Bill

I am in, sent via paypal.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 106
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 5:08:13 AM   
wdolson

quote:

I have recieved 5 (updated) donations already, and a couple of pledges, in addition to myself. We have one bottle of something already.

I'm happy to continue seperately, transfer the totals to you, or receive totals from you.

Cheers

Rob

Sorry, I only scanned this thread today and missed that you were collecting.

You're "in country" so it will probably be easier for you to arrange delivery and what not. It makes a lot more sense for you to be the point man on this. How about all Paypal to you and if Americans want to send a check, they can send it to me and I will Paypal whatever I get to you?

Bill

(in reply to jrcar)
Post #: 107
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 5:08:58 AM   
JeffroK

As a late suggestion, rather than assume Michael drinks at all let alone Scotch (A good Irish Whiskey is my choice), a gift voucher for the full amount from Myer/David Jones/Amazon or similar.
Myer/David Jones (Large Department stores) have liquor Departments if thats the way he want to spend it.

At one pont I had about 10 bottles of various Scotch's from Christmas presents and drank them at about 1 per year.

Also, IMHO, Michael also doesnt need to know who donated.

Excellent idea rader, makes up for being a JFB.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 108
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 5:18:03 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuman

I'll bundle and send your donation as well as any others (I've had at least one snail mail request thus far) to jcar by the 12th. For those of us in the GMT minus time zones (mostly the western hemisphere), that will be the 11th in our part of the world.

Bill

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 109
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 5:21:07 AM   
jrcar

Ok Bill sounds fine to me.

Cheers

Rob

quote:

quote:

I have recieved 5 (updated) donations already, and a couple of pledges, in addition to myself. We have one bottle of something already.

Cheers

Rob

Sorry, I only scanned this thread today and missed that you were collecting.

You're "in country" so it will probably be easier for you to arrange delivery and what not. It makes a lot more sense for you to be the point man on this. How about all Paypal to you and if Americans want to send a check, they can send it to me and I will Paypal whatever I get to you?

Bill

AE BETA Breaker

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 110
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 6:08:09 AM   
rader

Many thanks to both Bill and Rob!

I updated the consensus into the first post.

(in reply to jrcar)
Post #: 111
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 6:13:34 AM   
CaptBeefheart

You guys worked it out perfectly. I just Paypal'd Rob.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to jrcar)
Post #: 112
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 9:05:11 AM   
Grollub

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuman

I'll bundle and send your donation as well as any others (I've had at least one snail mail request thus far) to jcar by the 12th. For those of us in the GMT minus time zones (mostly the western hemisphere), that will be the 11th in our part of the world.

Bill

Donation sent (via PayPal).

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 113
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 10:11:51 AM   
Banzan

Ok, i sent before finished reading, so its going to wdolson (paypal/t.oestmann) instead of jrcar. Your link was too tempting

Edit: I think you can deny payments and it get returned. If you do this, i'll send it again to jrcar. Whatever works for you best.

< Message edited by Banzan -- 12/5/2011 10:25:14 AM >

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 114
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 11:18:55 AM   
Sardaukar

Will send tonight...I just hope it won't get so popular that michaelm is rendered "disabled" by gift products for months...after all, we crave for new patches!

(in reply to Banzan)
Post #: 115
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 11:26:02 AM   
chesmart

Money sent

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 116
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 11:28:23 AM   
hkbhsi

Money sent to Jrcar by paypal account.

(in reply to chesmart)
Post #: 117
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 12:21:56 PM   
SuluSea

Hi guys, since Rob is the point man I just paypal'd the funds to him. It feels great to make someone happy who works hard to make us happy. Thanks everyone especially Bill and Rob for pulling this together and Rader for bringing the great idea up...

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 12/5/2011 12:23:31 PM >

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to hkbhsi)
Post #: 118
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 12:39:30 PM   
Iron Duke

Money sent to Jrcar by paypal account.

"Bombers outpacing fighters - you've got to bloody well laugh!" Australian Buffalo pilot - Singapore

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 119
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/5/2011 12:51:26 PM   
MateDow

quote:

So send money to my PayPal jrcar @ iinet dot net dot au as a "Gift" in Australian Dollars please. Money received by 12 December will be used. After the cut off I will return the funds.

Cheers

Rob

Thank you for serving as the point man for this.

(in reply to jrcar)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Question (no Michaelm please) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI