Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Re: Real old one..

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Re: Real old one.. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Re: Real old one.. - 12/3/2002 2:22:42 AM   
jnier

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mundy
[B]Has anyone seen the USS Olympia in Philadelphia? I'm thinking of a trip to see it one of these years. I didn't know she still existed until I read a flyer I got with the Avalanche game, 1898. [/B][/QUOTE]
Yup, I was on the Olympia when I was a kid and drove past it countless times during my Philly days. The museum where its at has recently been renovated. If you're ever in Philly it's certainly worth an afternoon to check out the ship and the rest of the museum, although the Olympia isn't kept up as well as she should be. Here's the link for the museum.
[URL=http://seaport.philly.com/]http://seaport.philly.com/[/URL]

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 31
Re: About Dédalo - 12/3/2002 11:48:55 PM   
showboat1

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Buchon
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by showboat1
[B]No to mention the recent scrapping of the Dedalo {ex. Monterrey(?)}.

The Dédalo was ex-Cabot [/B][/QUOTE]

You are correct, I stand corrected. I had the Monterrey on my brain becasue my wife's grandfather served on the Monterrey.

SF3C B. B. New USS North Carolina BB-55 - Permission is granted to go ashore for the last shore leave. (1926-2003)

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 32
- 12/3/2002 11:52:56 PM   
showboat1

Are there any current restoration projects underway that anyone knows about?

SF3C B. B. New USS North Carolina BB-55 - Permission is granted to go ashore for the last shore leave. (1926-2003)

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 33
- 12/4/2002 12:28:51 AM   
Snigbert

A couple of the Iowa class BBs are in the process of being turned into museums. Not sure if that counts as restoration really.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 34
- 12/4/2002 4:12:35 AM   
showboat1

Heard about all of those, but I am mainly looking for former world war II warships that have been day, mothballed for 20 years, or been serving with the Chilean Navy, or something like that. Something old that hasn't been very heavily modified. Like Dedalo before scrapping. I saw photos and I believe there were actual 40mm gun mounts still aboard.

P.S. I am STILL pissed about this and might be for years to come!

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 35
Sad - 12/4/2002 9:21:24 AM   
Ron Saueracker

Does it not suck that money can't be made to preserve "unique" ships such as DEDALO (ex CABOT) and ALMIRANTE SOMETINGOROTHER (ex ST LOUIS) but is available for redundant ships (IE LIKE WE NEED ANOTHER EXAMPLE) such as IOWA, NEW JERSEY, WISCONSIN or yet another ESSEX? People in "the know" just don't get it.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 36
- 12/6/2002 2:52:22 AM   
showboat1

As someone who is a historian and has worked hand in hand with archeologists I can say its all about what is stylish. Saving and old hybrid CVL like Dedalo would have been worthy in a historical sense to preserve the last example, but not really stylish enough to get funding. After all, preserved warships can be VERY expensive to maintain and most folks just aren't interested unless it has some flash. Hence, LOTS of battleships, aircraft carriers, and submarines. I used to feel pride that the original Enterprise survived the war, but she was scrapped, dishonored. I now wish that she would have been sent to the Bikini Tests along with the Saratoga. Today you can at least explore the Sara by diving on the wreck. To get a piece of the Enterprise you have to buy razor blades.

(in reply to Snigbert)
Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Re: Real old one.. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI