Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/19/2012 9:20:19 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: nate25

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: nate25

Muggenthaler - German Raiders of World War II.

Like a little slice of a chivalrous bygone age in WWII.

Sounds weird I know, but most of these officers were true gentlemen.

Sounds like a very good read.

One of the cheapest books I ever bought - 25 cents at a garage sale right across the street.

It's ISBN # is: 0-13-354027-8. August Karl Muggenthaler. Don't know if the ISBN will help in the age of the Gorenet, but there it is.

That's how I discovered Toland's book on the Japanese Empire.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 91
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/19/2012 12:37:17 PM   
british exil

quote:

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

"Flashback" is great stuff, and you will like it, but if you start to falter it just gets better as it goes along. He is a wonderful author, "Terror" is very, very good. I have "Black Hills" in my pile too.

Lee Child is a big favorite of mine too. You would like Dan Simmons' "Joe Kurtz" novels too. They all start with "Hard" : "Hard Case", "Hard Freeze" and "Hard as Nails". Joe is ex-MP too, and he and Reacher are both tough. Joe is further toughened by 12 years in Attica.

Chuck

Checking out Amazon. Read all of "Reachers" stories, seems like a nice bloke to met, if you're one of the goodies.

Just finished "Death of Kings" by Bernard Cornwell.
Read the whole "Sharpe" series last year. Interesting reading even if it is only a story, based on the British in India and Napoleon era.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 92
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/20/2012 10:52:14 PM   
warspite1

I'm in book overload at the moment - so many on the go I can't keep up.

Today I saw a book on London and the V-weapons. As my elder brother was evacuated in 1944, away from London down to Devon, to get away from these terror weapons I thought that looks interesting. Its got really good references to fingers crossed it doesn't disappoint.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 93
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/20/2012 11:24:00 PM   
parusski

Just dove headfirst into A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5) George R.R. Martin.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 94
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/28/2012 10:52:38 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I'm in book overload at the moment - so many on the go I can't keep up.

Today I saw a book on London and the V-weapons. As my elder brother was evacuated in 1944, away from London down to Devon, to get away from these terror weapons I thought that looks interesting. Its got really good references to fingers crossed it doesn't disappoint.
Warspite1

Well I am some way into the book now and I have to say its been a very good read so far. I have come into this book - Target London (Christy Campbell) - without knowing much about the V-1 and V-2 so its all new to me.

Its not a difficult read - although I am not a technically-minded person so some of the detail stuff flies over my head. Only complaint so far is that there should be clearer definition between the two projects (development of both took place at the same time - one was army and one air force).

Recommended

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 95
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/28/2012 5:38:05 PM   
ilovestrategy

I got Barbarossa from Amazon for 36 cents plus $4 shipping and handling believe it or not lol. I never realized now massive the German/Soviet war was.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 96
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/28/2012 7:15:54 PM   
wodin

The Kindly Ones.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 97
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/28/2012 8:07:16 PM   
ilovestrategy

Wodin, I love that avatar.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 98
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/28/2012 8:20:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

I got Barbarossa from Amazon for 36 cents plus $4 shipping and handling believe it or not lol. I never realized now massive the German/Soviet war was.
Warspite1

Really?

Post #: 99
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/28/2012 9:28:23 PM   
shunwick

Guys,

I am currently reading 1914 - 1918 The History of the First World War by David Stevenson. Very good single-volume work on the subject.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 100
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/28/2012 9:55:45 PM   
parusski

Just finished listening to Cain at Gettysburg audio book, by Ralph Peters. This is a great historical fictional account of the battle.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 101
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/29/2012 1:34:46 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Wodin, I love that avatar.

Thanks mate. It's from the Osprey books.When I was doing a Squad Battles mod I had loads of them on the PC. Sadly yesterday my PC went mental so I had to format everything and do I fresh install, I lost all the pics!

I'm supposed to do one for Eagle Strike aswell, but my mojo went out the window after doing RV and AOTR.

Post #: 102
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/1/2012 12:25:44 PM   
cpdeyoung

wodin,

The Kindly Ones is one of the most intense books you will read. I only know two people who have read it, and we both thought it was a wonderful, powerful book, but there are many who would not agree. I envy you a reading of that book.

Chuck

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 103
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/1/2012 2:38:00 PM   
SuluSea

Currently finishing up Bowfin. I'm still waiting for Bergerud's Oil on the Water which has been delayed anyone have info on the release?

I'm still undecided on my next book as I have many on the shelf waiting.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 104
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/1/2012 2:54:20 PM   
barkman44

pacific crucible by Ian w.Toll.Check out bomc2 join and you make a list and each month they charge $9.95 and ship first book on list,free shipping also.
THey also have buy now books for $12.95 with free shipping also

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 105
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/1/2012 3:56:08 PM   
wodin

quote:

wodin,

The Kindly Ones is one of the most intense books you will read. I only know two people who have read it, and we both thought it was a wonderful, powerful book, but there are many who would not agree. I envy you a reading of that book.

Chuck

Yeah, I'm loving it. He is still near the Caucasus talking about Lermontov with Voss. It's about Oct '42 so the sh1t will hit the fan. I wouldn't recommend it to the faint of heart or any homophobes either, as the sex scenes are a little graphic. Though does that say something about me that it was more uncomfortable reading that part than the massacres? Yet it is deeply touching and at the same time cold and clinical.

He has just shot that Jew who professed to be over 120 and went to him to be killed as he already knew when and by who would kill him because an angel hand't sealed his lip before birth. Very heavy and quite mystical that part.

Again I'm really enjoying it and I have to say the research in it is astounding and I'm not just talking about the Nazis either. It's a real deep read and the Author deserves all the praise and awards the world has to offfer.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 106
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/1/2012 4:36:42 PM   
Perturabo

Great book. I remember enjoying it a lot.

Right now I'm reading Metro 2033.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 107
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/1/2012 4:37:56 PM   
madflava13

Ghost in the Wires by Kevin Mitnick. Entertaining read.

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 108
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/1/2012 6:34:55 PM   
parusski

Just downloaded a new audio book from Audible.

The Admirals: Nimitz, Halsey, Leahy, and King - The Five-Star Admirals Who Won the War at Sea

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 109
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/1/2012 8:50:46 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

quote:

wodin,

Chuck

Yeah, I'm loving it. He is still near the Caucasus talking about Lermontov with Voss. It's about Oct '42 so the sh1t will hit the fan. I wouldn't recommend it to the faint of heart or any homophobes either, as the sex scenes are a little graphic. Though does that say something about me that it was more uncomfortable reading that part than the massacres? Yet it is deeply touching and at the same time cold and clinical.

One thing that I really loved about the book is that the protagonist discusses culture and philosophy with other characters. It makes it feel so real.

They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 110
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/1/2012 10:22:38 PM   
cpdeyoung

Perturabo,

I am still looking for the discussions I envied in "Les Miserables" and I have yet to find them, but I'm not dead yet. Intelligent people discussing philosophical issues as if they mattered. I want that.

Chuck

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 111
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/2/2012 2:55:03 AM   
Jeffrey H.

Evan Mawdsleys "Thunder in the East".

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 112
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/2/2012 3:34:36 AM   
Perturabo

quote:

Perturabo,

I am still looking for the discussions I envied in "Les Miserables" and I have yet to find them, but I'm not dead yet. Intelligent people discussing philosophical issues as if they mattered. I want that.

Chuck

What kind of discussions were in "Les Miserables"?

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 113
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/2/2012 4:19:56 AM   
cpdeyoung

In the time before they went to the barricades the students did some philosophizing in the cafes.

It sounded like great fun to me. I had a class last year in summer school that was a bit like that, but coffee house philosophy is not as common as I would enjoy. The class was a small seminar style political science class and the teacher was able to get discussion going almost at once. I find that sort of class requires a very small class size, which you sometimes get in summer school. Sitting around a cafe doing it must be better, but making time for this sort of thing is not common. If I were teaching I would have some classes, maybe all classes in a coffee shop.

Of course the subject matter would dictate if this could work well.

Chuck

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 114
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/2/2012 9:09:09 AM   
Vincenzo_Beretta

I finally took the plunge and I started to read "The Faeire Queene" by Edmund Spenser. Original language, not a modern translation. Hard but very beautiful and satisfying.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 115
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/2/2012 9:45:38 AM   
fvianello

The battle of Marathon by Peter Krentz.....a lot of good research and very informative, but the conclusions / deductions this guy makes are quite strange; for example:

- Athenian and Persian armies were more or less the same size.
You are the biggest empire of the era, you plan an attack on greece for years and all you can gather is an army as big as only one of the city state you plan to conquer ? Doesn't make sense to me.

- Persians had almost no cavalry.
Your armies are famous for the horse archer and the hit-and-run tactics and you bring no cavalry????

- There was no "push" fight
Almost everyone agrees by now that the hoplite battle was a "push" one, where the opposing lines used their shields to phisically push back the enemies. The author denies this idea but offers no valid alternative.

< Message edited by HanBarca -- 5/2/2012 9:48:15 AM >

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to Vincenzo_Beretta)
Post #: 116
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/2/2012 12:46:48 PM   
wodin

quote:

In the time before they went to the barricades the students did some philosophizing in the cafes.

It sounded like great fun to me. I had a class last year in summer school that was a bit like that, but coffee house philosophy is not as common as I would enjoy. The class was a small seminar style political science class and the teacher was able to get discussion going almost at once. I find that sort of class requires a very small class size, which you sometimes get in summer school. Sitting around a cafe doing it must be better, but making time for this sort of thing is not common. If I were teaching I would have some classes, maybe all classes in a coffee shop.

Of course the subject matter would dictate if this could work well.

Chuck

France or should I say Paris turn of last century was a great place to be for Cafe house philosophy.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 117
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/2/2012 2:06:26 PM   
invernomuto

"Hitler Moves East" and "Scorched Earth" by Paul Carrel.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 118
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/5/2012 12:39:44 AM   
rodney727

I'ts good that we are all reading books, how about Mr. Warspite1 pick a book in which we all will read. Then we will come back and talk about it.

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 119
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI