Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/3/2016 11:12:02 PM   
Ostwindflak

As an update Hotschi, apparently book 3 will be out in 2018.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 2101
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/6/2016 12:47:15 PM   
Mylesmata

My local Waterstones has SS-GB by Len Deighton in the window. I liked The Man in the High Castle and loved Fatherland so I'm very tempted. Anyone read it?

(in reply to Ostwindflak)
Post #: 2102
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/6/2016 1:51:45 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtl404

My local Waterstones has SS-GB by Len Deighton in the window. I liked The Man in the High Castle and loved Fatherland so I'm very tempted. Anyone read it?

I have not read many historical novels, these 2 look sound interesting.

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to Mylesmata)
Post #: 2103
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/6/2016 4:20:00 PM   
wodin

ATTN: WIngs7 Winter by L Deighton and Bomber by L Deighton I highly recommend. Derek Robinsons WW1 trilogy Goshawk Squadron, War Story, Hornets Sting and finally Red Horse by E Corti are a selection of historical novels I recommend.

Loved Fatherland wish there had been a series of books.

Berlin Noir by P Kerr is a great book if you like Fatherland.

< Message edited by wodin -- 9/6/2016 4:23:33 PM >

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2104
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/6/2016 4:58:19 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtl404

warspite1

Yes I have read it and thoroughly enjoyed it too (as I did Fatherland). A definite buy in my book

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Mylesmata)
Post #: 2105
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/6/2016 6:18:40 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

ATTN: WIngs7 Winter by L Deighton and Bomber by L Deighton I highly recommend. Derek Robinsons WW1 trilogy Goshawk Squadron, War Story, Hornets Sting and finally Red Horse by E Corti are a selection of historical novels I recommend.

Loved Fatherland wish there had been a series of books.

Berlin Noir by P Kerr is a great book if you like Fatherland.

Thanks Jason for this list!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2106
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/6/2016 6:42:51 PM   
Mylesmata

Thanks for the recommendations, chaps! More to add to my list.

Fatherland was brilliant; I think it's been long enough that I can read it again. I also liked Archangel by the same author but I found Ghost so awful by comparison that I haven't looked at Harris' latest books.

< Message edited by mtl404 -- 9/6/2016 11:25:47 PM >

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2107
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/6/2016 11:13:42 PM   
mikkey

Red Phoenix by Larry Bond and Patrick Larkin

(in reply to Mylesmata)
Post #: 2108
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/7/2016 6:36:54 AM   
warspite1

Coming to the end of House of Cards. A very good read. Interesting how the technology and processes being written about have changed so much in such a short space of time - telex, fax, opening bank accounts without checks....

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 2109
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/7/2016 6:50:10 AM   
zakblood

researching the history atm of my Uncle as he's was in the SAS and now in his late 80's and was in the SAS all his militry life after the paras that is, have loads of photo's, early training days, using more than a few books, mostly wrong btw or so i'm told, atm i'm reading Peter Darman's A to Z of the SAS

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/7/2016 7:41:38 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2110
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/10/2016 8:46:19 PM   
warspite1

SEMI-SPOILER ALERT

Well well well that was a turnip for the books. I got to the end of book one of House of Cards and the final scene. I knew - as there were two more books to come - what happened..... except it didn't!!

Tip: If you read Michael Dobbs trilogy - make sure you read the revised edition of the first book - otherwise it kind of makes books 2 and 3 impossible!!!!!

Anyways..... next up House of Cards Part II to and from work

For the evening its The British Pacific Fleet - David Hobbs (Seaforth)

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 2111
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/10/2016 8:59:37 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

SEMI-SPOILER ALERT

Well well well that was a turnip for the books. I got to the end of book one of House of Cards and the final scene. I knew - as there were two more books to come - what happened..... except it didn't!!

Tip: If you read Michael Dobbs trilogy - make sure you read the revised edition of the first book - otherwise it kind of makes books 2 and 3 impossible!!!!!

That is quite strange, I wonder what the explanation for that is...I see you have your cardboard counter with clipped corners back in action!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2112
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/10/2016 9:22:23 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

quote:

SEMI-SPOILER ALERT

That is quite strange, I wonder what the explanation for that is...I see you have your cardboard counter with clipped corners back in action!

warspite1

I suspect he wrote the first novel as a one off. It then became a massive hit - that required sequels - except no sequel was possible because of how the book ended. Solution? Re-write the first book - or at least the ending - and voila, two more books and TV series. Hussah!

Yes the Grand Old Lady is back! As a wise lady once said - the art of being a woman, is knowing when not to be too much of a lady

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2113
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/10/2016 9:32:39 PM   
Zorch

'The Western Front Companion' by Mark Adkin.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2114
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/10/2016 9:34:51 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

warspite1

Good reference book! As such not read cover to cover - just snippets as and when required - but enough to know this is a good addition to his other works - none of course better than Waterloo

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2115
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/10/2016 9:37:12 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

warspite1

Good reference book! As such not read cover to cover - just snippets as and when required - but enough to know this is a good addition to his other works - none of course better than Waterloo

I agree...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2116
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/10/2016 9:48:47 PM   
Aurelian

Operation Typhoon by David Stahel. His previous two are well worth the read.

Should be required reading for WiTE Axis fanboys :)

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2117
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/11/2016 12:15:57 PM   
Hotschi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

As an update Hotschi, apparently book 3 will be out in 2018.

Thank you again, Ostwindflak!

Something different, I am in search of a good biography of Clement Attlee, any recommendations by anyone?

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

Post #: 2118
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/11/2016 2:57:54 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

Thank you again, Ostwindflak!

Something different, I am in search of a good biography of Clement Attlee, any recommendations by anyone?

its not a biography of Atlee as such but Peter Hennessy's Never Again is probably the definitive account of British politics from 1945-51. So obv, Atlee tends to dominate and there is a lot of good background material on the evolution of his ideas and so on.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 2119
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/12/2016 4:29:35 PM   
Ostwindflak

So I finished up Pacific Crucible: War At Sea in the Pacific, 1941-1942 by Ian Toll yesterday. It was a good read. Had some refreshing things in it such as getting to know the major players in high command and in combat commands for both the Japanese and American sides. Toll gives back ground on these people in a way that is not dry or overly complex.

When he gets into the specific battles he re-tells them in a way that covers the operational part of it, but also the human part of it that I feel is left out a lot of times in these types of books. He pulls quotes from veterans and from war diaries to make the battles feel more personable, as if you are, in a sense, there instead of way on the outside looking in. It was an easy read with a good flow and his writing style makes you want to keep reading. Getting through chapters isn't a chore.

So with that said, I will starting the second book The Conquering Tide: War in the Pacific Islands, 1942-1944 tomorrow.

Here is a link: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-conquering-tide-ian-w-toll/1121137400?ean=9780393080643

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2120
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/12/2016 5:41:00 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

So I finished up Pacific Crucible: War At Sea in the Pacific, 1941-1942 by Ian Toll yesterday. It was a good read. Had some refreshing things in it such as getting to know the major players in high command and in combat commands for both the Japanese and American sides. Toll gives back ground on these people in a way that is not dry or overly complex.

When he gets into the specific battles he re-tells them in a way that covers the operational part of it, but also the human part of it that I feel is left out a lot of times in these types of books. He pulls quotes from veterans and from war diaries to make the battles feel more personable, as if you are, in a sense, there instead of way on the outside looking in. It was an easy read with a good flow and his writing style makes you want to keep reading. Getting through chapters isn't a chore.

So with that said, I will starting the second book The Conquering Tide: War in the Pacific Islands, 1942-1944 tomorrow.

Here is a link: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-conquering-tide-ian-w-toll/1121137400?ean=9780393080643

Excellent critique! Ian Toll has won some literary awards...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_W._Toll

Post #: 2121
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/12/2016 8:49:54 PM   
rodney727

The Harper encyclopedia of military history. Bought it for a dollar, up to page 319/1736 "Western Europe" 1000-1200. I don't think I would have liked to live in Germany in the 11th century!

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2122
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/18/2016 3:05:14 PM   
Hotschi

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

its not a biography of Atlee as such but Peter Hennessy's Never Again is probably the definitive account of British politics from 1945-51. So obv, Atlee tends to dominate and there is a lot of good background material on the evolution of his ideas and so on.

Thank you for this, loki - I also got me Hennessys's The Prime Minister: The Office and Its Holders Since 1945 which I've found second-hand for just 6 Euros!

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2123
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/18/2016 4:17:23 PM   
loki100

glad to help - he is an excellent blend of contemporary historian and journalist.

Another good book by him is the The Secret State on the development and evolution of the UK's nuclear weapons policy. The discussion on how Whitehall developed its rules around when/if their use could be ordered is fascinating.

Its now dated but his book on the British Civil Service Whitehall is a good counterpart to the one on Prime Ministers. Only problem is its now very much a work of historical record as it is badly out of the date compared to the current (and constantly) shifting architecture of the Civil Service (combination of Blair's taste for re-organisations and the impact of devolution dismantled many of the older verities).

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 2124
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/18/2016 4:22:03 PM   
warspite1

Just heard this is coming out at the end of the year. I can't wait already....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2125
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/18/2016 6:44:50 PM   
Zorch

Also in December, John Roberts has 'British Battlecruisers 1905-1920' a revision of his 1997 book.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2126
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/18/2016 7:27:48 PM   
Hotschi

Reading this thread costs me a lot of money - pre-ordered Friedman's book shown by Warspite, and while I was busy with that, also ordered Friedman's British Destroyers: From Earliest Days to the Second World War.

Now I only need a good explanation for my Secretary of Finance aka wife!

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2127
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/18/2016 10:15:36 PM   
sullafelix

We added a review of 'Antiochus The Great' to the blog.

http://www.awargamersneedfulthings.co.uk/2016/09/antiochus-great-by-michael-taylor.html

Thanks

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 2128
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/19/2016 12:07:44 PM   
Agathosdaimon

i will hopefully be reading Das Boot soon - loved the film/series but never read teh book and only just getting back into sub games all over again an

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 2129
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/19/2016 11:47:20 PM   
Greybriar

I am currently reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 2130
Page:   <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI