Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/20/2016 12:29:18 AM   
Franciscus

Just finished "Fear" by Gabriel Chevalier.

An admirable, courageous and poignant book about the horrors and futility of war (in this case WW1) as seen by the soldiers that have to endure it - and live and die in fear.

The short introduction by John Berger is one of the most admirable and scathing anti-war texts I've read so far.

Not for everyone, but I am glad to have read it.

Former AJE team member

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 2131
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/20/2016 12:38:09 AM   
nelmsm1

Reading Retribution by Max Hastings. Picked this up for $1 when the local bookstore went under about 4 years ago but it's been sitting on my shelf until now. Some fascinating stuff in what I've read so far.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 2132
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/20/2016 2:37:06 AM   
Chickenboy

Warspite1,

You led me astray with your last book recommendation. The Cat in the Hat, while entertaining, was neither erudite nor sophisticated in its treatment of the 1920s European bourgeois. Based upon that total miss, I shall have to pass on your recommendations for Red Fish, Blue Fish and Hop on Pop. Honestly, man. You must expand your circle a bit.

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 2133
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/20/2016 2:38:18 AM   
Chickenboy

"The Ascent of Money" by Niall Furguson. What an enjoyable author! I'm disappointed that I hadn't seen or heard much of him until recently.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2134
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/20/2016 6:55:30 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

"The Ascent of Money" by Niall Furguson. What an enjoyable author! I'm disappointed that I hadn't seen or heard much of him until recently.
warspite1

Another very, very good book. I know that he's not everyone's cup of tea, and I don't agree with everything he writes, but having read four of his books - Virtual History: Alternatives and Counterfactuals, Colossus and Empire, War of the World and The Ascent of Money - I do find Ferguson to be never less than an enjoyable read.

I still have The Pity of War too on my shelf but that is near the back of a long queue.....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2135
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/20/2016 2:38:16 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Another very, very good book. I know that he's not everyone's cup of tea, and I don't agree with everything he writes, but having read four of his books - Virtual History: Alternatives and Counterfactuals, Colossus and Empire, War of the World and The Ascent of Money - I do find Ferguson to be never less than an enjoyable read.

I still have The Pity of War too on my shelf but that is near the back of a long queue.....

Of those books you mentioned, which do you recommend most?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2136
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/20/2016 5:24:49 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Of those books you mentioned, which do you recommend most?
warspite1

Apologies it was not War of the World I read - I saw a TV series based on that book. It was Empire: How Britain Made the Modern World

I would chose Empire: How Britain made the Modern World and The Ascent of Money. As you are reading the latter I would go with Empire next followed by Colossus and Empire

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2137
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/20/2016 6:20:16 PM   
Chickenboy

Ugh. Do I really have to read a book written by a Scotsman extolling the virtues of Pax Brittania?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2138
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/20/2016 10:13:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Ugh. Do I really have to read a book written by a Scotsman extolling the virtues of Pax Brittania?
warspite1

Well its up to you. You could always try The Gruffalo if Ferguson no longer floats your boat. The Gruffalo isn't as big a book in size, but in depth and breadth of subject matter its at least on a par. A searing indictment of the social conditions of those born with a big purple wart on the end of their nose, as well as a much needed delve into the realpolitik of the Deep Dark Wood.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/21/2016 9:13:32 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2139
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/21/2016 6:13:38 PM   
reg113

"Clash of Carriers" by Barrett Tillman

"Life's a b***h, then you die."

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2140
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/21/2016 9:15:32 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Well its up to you. You could always try The Gruffalo if Ferguson no longer floats your boat. The Gruffalo isn't as big a book in size, but in depth and breadth of subject matter its at least on a par. A searing indictment of the social conditions of those born with a big purple wart on the end of their nose, as well as a much needed delve into the realpolitik of the Deep Dark Wood.

warspite1

As an aside, did anyone else find themselves reading The Gruffalo in rap stylee to their little ones. A few people I've spoken to with children around the same age admitted they did - it just seemed like the obvious thing to do.... but there you go..

...back to our scheduled programming...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2141
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/21/2016 9:36:48 PM   
wings7

quote:

As an aside, did anyone else find themselves reading The Gruffalo in rap stylee to their little ones. A few people I've spoken to with children around the same age admitted they did - it just seemed like the obvious thing to do.... but there you go..

"it just seemed the obvious thing to do", too thug like for me, proper English (or the language you speak) reading cadence would be the obvious for me.

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2142
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/22/2016 11:44:52 PM   
Eambar

Just finished God's Crucible - Islam and the Making of Europe, 570-1215 by David Lavering Lewis.

An excellent read, well written and researched about a fascinating period in history.

The portion of the book discussing the rivalry and relationship between Abd al-Rahman and Charlemagne's empires is worth the read alone.

Cheers,

< Message edited by Doggie3 -- 9/22/2016 11:46:16 PM >

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2143
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/25/2016 8:22:32 PM   
warspite1

Finished The British Pacific Fleet (Hobbs). A very, very good read - I would recommend this.

I still won't be picking up Sir John Fisher's Naval Revolution (Lambert) however. As a result of reading about the BPF I was keen to read something similar on the US Navy in the Pacific (1943-45).

I was recommended The Fast Carriers (Reynolds). This arrived yesterday so have delved straight in. I just hope its as good as the reviews and does cover not only the combat operations of the fleet, but also the development of the support services.

(in reply to Eambar)
Post #: 2144
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/25/2016 10:14:37 PM   
loki100

Since I finally got paid for some work I did in 2015 I decided to indulge in some book buying.

Treated myself to all 4 of Stahel's books on the opening stages of the German invasion of the USSR (Barbarossa, Kiev, Typhoon and Moscow). Must say I am deeply impressed - he can write so well that you don't lose the central narrative in all the details.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2145
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/30/2016 6:07:45 PM   
warspite1

quote:

.....I was recommended The Fast Carriers (Reynolds)..... I just hope its as good as the reviews and does cover not only the combat operations of the fleet, but also the development of the support services.
warspite1

So far so very, VERY good....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2146
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/30/2016 6:56:59 PM   
quiritus

Peter Turchin War and Peace and War: The Rise and Fall of Empires now starting with academic work of same men Secular Cycles, and Historical Dynamics: Why States Rise and Fall

< Message edited by quiritus -- 9/30/2016 6:57:18 PM >

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 2147
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/30/2016 9:07:49 PM   
Zorch

The Seleukid Empire of Antiochus III (223-187 BC) by John Grainger.

(in reply to quiritus)
Post #: 2148
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/11/2016 7:13:30 AM   
warspite1

Finished The Fast Carriers. Thoroughly recommended for anyone interested in the Pacific War or naval history generally.

I would love to stay in the Pacific for a while - I've got Hell to Pay sitting there waiting to be read . But....

....time to head back to the ETO for a while. Invasion of England 1940 (Schenk) is first up.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/11/2016 7:26:24 AM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2149
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/11/2016 8:43:35 AM   
Orm

quote:

....time to head back to the ETO for a while. Invasion of England 1940 (Schenk) is first up.

So you have begun reading fantasy novels now.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2150
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/11/2016 8:44:13 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

So what is the verdict?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2151
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/12/2016 1:13:03 PM   
wodin

Does anyone base din the UK fancy reviewing books released by Pen and Sword for my blog? You get to choose a book a month. However the odd time I will be choosing one..but only if it's something I really want. Rest of the time it will be you. Only rule is that if you get a book you must review it. If after the first you don't really fancy it just tell me, wont be a problem as long as you review what was sent.

PM me if interested. First come first serve so to speak.

Could also be an opportunity to review games if you fancy it.

Take a look at the blog and the book reviews to see what we do.

< Message edited by wodin -- 10/12/2016 1:14:24 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2152
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/12/2016 5:10:02 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

So what is the verdict?

It's good. Grainger makes a point of debunking the Roman explanation of how the war that led to his downfall started.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2153
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/12/2016 8:14:14 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

So what is the verdict?

It's good. Grainger makes a point of debunking the Roman explanation of how the war that led to his downfall started.

Thank you.

I'll put it on my Christmas wish list.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2154
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/12/2016 9:12:09 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

Since I finally got paid for some work I did in 2015 I decided to indulge in some book buying.

Treated myself to all 4 of Stahel's books on the opening stages of the German invasion of the USSR (Barbarossa, Kiev, Typhoon and Moscow). Must say I am deeply impressed - he can write so well that you don't lose the central narrative in all the details.

I agree. Just haven't bought the 4th yet.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2155
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/12/2016 9:48:10 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So what is the verdict?

Thank you.

I'll put it on my Christmas wish list.

It is the 2nd of his 3 books on the Seleukids. I'm reading the 3rd book now.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2156
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/12/2016 10:27:46 PM   
wodin

Good book.

Poilu by L Barthas (you'll enjoy )

Under Fire by H Barbusse is another great WW1 book from a Pilou perspective.

War the Infantry Knew by Cpt Dunn is a must read. (Great companion books are Old Soldiers never Die by F Richards, Nothing of Importance by B Adams, Goodbye to all the by R Graves (famous but didn't think to much of it)and Memoirs of an Infantry Officer by S Sassoon as they are all enlisted in the Royal Welch Regiment)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franciscus

Just finished "Fear" by Gabriel Chevalier.

An admirable, courageous and poignant book about the horrors and futility of war (in this case WW1) as seen by the soldiers that have to endure it - and live and die in fear.

The short introduction by John Berger is one of the most admirable and scathing anti-war texts I've read so far.

Not for everyone, but I am glad to have read it.

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 2157
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/13/2016 10:11:33 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

I agree. Just haven't bought the 4th yet.

I've been reading them in an odd order - Typhoon-Kiev-Barbarossa. Just about to start with Moscow. Oddly, I think that Barbarossa is the weakest, its very good and informative but it does read very much as a PhD thesis converted to a book (which is what it is). Think he is too keen in that way to hammer everything onto his central argument and that weakens the analysis as a result.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 2158
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/13/2016 7:19:59 PM   
Kuokkanen

Just got Kindle version of Personal Demons by Elliott Kay. It is third novel in series started by Good Intentions (not counting Life in Shadows). I read it on my iPhone 4.

quote:

Warning: Personal Demons contains explicit sex, explicit violence, explicit language, explicit use of implications, open relationships, polyamory, blasphemy, sacrilege, heresy, paganism, sorcery, portrayals of matters divine and demonic bearing little or no resemblance to established religious canon, prejudice, murder, mass murder, singular murder, alley murder, conspiracy to commit murder, regicide, treason, dismemberments, impalement, arson, defenestration, racially charged ‘Nam flashbacks, trash-talking, smuggling, mansplaining, spoiled Christmas surprises, numerous state and Federal firearms violations, organized crime, transnational crime, avian conscription, disturbances of the peace, paranoia, Doomsday preppers, illegal immigration, party fouls, public endangerment, underage drinking, human sacrifice, destruction of cell phones, false identification, consumption of alcohol, mayhem, attempted kidnapping, mass vehicular collisions, reincarnation, conspiracy to commit sexual promiscuity, threesomes, assault and battery, banditry, reverse banditry, eye-gouging, cultural misappropriation, trespassing, lies, innuendo, intrigue, foreplay under false pretenses, bribery, political corruption, spiritual corruption, misuse of military facilities, a blanket fort of ill repute, home invasion, warfare, espionage, mercenary activity, consumption of sentient beings, panhandling, lingerie, cohabitation outside of marriage, missed homework assignments, too much pizza, toxic masculinity, abbreviated sex scenes, fully descriptive sex scenes, romantic sex, casual sex, mild dom/sub play, mystic servitude, stalking, knife-throwing, weaponized alcohol, weaponized furniture, weaponized human remains, drone strikes, slavery, eternal damnation, mind control, carjacking, spitting, biting, vandalism, gossip, sexual objectification, immolations, feminist solidarity, zombie terrorists, pissy ex-boyfriends, too much information from Grandpa, and a flagrant narrative disregard for common standards of decency.

What the Hell are reverse banditry and innuendo?

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 10/13/2016 7:20:58 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2159
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/14/2016 1:07:49 PM   
MakeeLearn

Indian Removal by Grant Foreman 1932

Well footnoted, lots of first person accounts. Few people know the complete story. The Cherokees deserved their Trail of Tears

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 10/14/2016 1:39:41 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 2160
Page:   <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI