Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/25/2017 12:12:19 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. I'm actually listening to the audio book, which is 57 hours long!

I'm just now getting to the invasion of Poland, but I've learned so much history that I did not know before. Particularly just how insane Nazi Germany was even before the war started, and how badly Chamberlain screwed things up. I never knew that Czechoslovakia had such a strong military force available to fight the Germans (according to the book, 35 well trained and equipped divisions defending a heavily fortified border), but were forced to surrender when France and Britain turned their backs at the last moment.

William Shirer was a great writer, "Rise and Fall..." is a must read for any WWII devotee!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 2311
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/25/2017 1:14:01 PM   
warspite1

quote:

....and how badly Chamberlain screwed things up......but were forced to surrender when France and Britain turned their backs at the last moment.
warspite1

I think that stating ‘how badly Chamberlain screwed things up’ is somewhat unfair. Less so is ‘but were forced to surrender when France and Britain turned their backs at the last moment’, as yes, I think it is fair to say that this was not Britain and France’s finest hour. But having said that, was the situation really that black and white?

Firstly, to suggest someone screwed something up means that, with the benefit of hindsight (and sometimes even without it) it is clear that another, definitely more advantageous decision to a problem could have been taken. I don’t think that is necessarily the case here, and also ignores the situation in Britain and France in those dark days of the late 30’s.

Yes, with hindsight, knowing what actually happened, it is tempting to think about what may have been. But in doing so we cannot know for certain what would have resulted from the British and French drawing a line in the sand over Czechoslovakia rather than Poland.

Firstly, it needs to be acknowledged that both the British and French premiers were leaders of democratic nations – two nations that had suffered hugely in the First World War – and where public opinion mattered. A government’s first responsibility is to its own people and, quite simply, there was no appetite for war in either country. The post war years were incredibly tough with economic depression, mass unemployment and civil strife blighting the landscape – against that backdrop, asking the people of Britain and France to go to war over a country most could not even place on a map was no easy option. The British could not ignore the Dominions either when they made clear that they would not support Britain going to war over Czechoslovakia.

In addition to this of course is the growing support that Germany had over the Treaty of Versailles terms. There was a feeling amongst many at the time that the treaty terms were too harsh. This led to a broad consensus that some of those terms needed to be undone in fairness to the German people and in order to avoid future war. Until Hitler took over the rump Czech state in March 1939, what had been conceded to Germany largely involved territory that was either German or had a majority German population. In other words, for the sake of peace, the democracies were bending over backwards to treat Germany ‘fairly’.

With regard to what was on offer, just about everything was on the table – but what Chamberlain in particular did not understand was that Hitler was not like any ordinary politician; what Hitler wanted was not possible to allow. It is difficult to lay too much blame at Chamberlain’s door for not recognising this given the list of people that Hitler fooled – including the German politicians that put him in power in the first place, a large portion of the German electorate and even Time Magazine which actually pronounced him ‘Man of the Year’ in 1938!

Whatever conclusions are drawn from analysing other options that may have been open to Chamberlain and Daladier, it needs to be understood that these two gentlemen, and their governments, were trying to do the best they could in what were pretty unenviable circumstances. And while it is easy to say now what could or should have happened, the reality is that these were colossally high stakes being played for and both Chamberlain and Daladier need to be cut some slack in that regard.

So having said that, was the decision to give the Sudetenland to Germany the best option open to the Western governments? Well as said – and certainly with hindsight - it was a pretty awful thing as it paved the way for the carve-up of the country. But it’s impossible to know whether an alternative would have been better for certain isn’t it? As soon as the historical path is diverted from, all elements are subject to change.

The argument goes that Chamberlain screwed up because the German Army was weaker in 1938, the Czechoslovak Army was strong (with decent border defences) and there was no German-Soviet agreement. If the Germans struggled to beat the Czechs the Western Allies and maybe the Poles would join forces and attack the Germans from three sides. Maybe too, Hitler is overthrown by the Army and the full horrors of WWII and the holocaust are avoided. Simple.

Maybe. But that assumes a lot.

Maybe things would have panned out differently. For one thing, the German Army was weaker yes – but so were the British and French armies. Having declared war over Poland in 1939, neither was in any state to launch an offensive against the German Army. The plan was therefore to sit behind the Maginot Line and wait. Why would that be any different in 1938 when the British could provide even less of an army? The French army was deficient in many areas in 1940 – it was no better off in 1938. Well the Czechs in 1938 may have been more formidable than the Poles in 1939. Again, maybe. This is not something that can be proved one way or the other, and nor is how the Soviets would have reacted to this unfolding drama. The Soviets could have still come to an agreement with Hitler. Even if not, they could not come to the aid of the Czechs as Poland would never have allowed Soviet soldiers on Polish soil as we know from the pre-war negotiations between the Western Allies and the Soviets in 1939. Whether the Soviets got involved at all therefore cannot be known. Finally there is the tantalising prospect that the German General Staff would have launched a coup the moment Case Green was given the go ahead. Again there is no guarantee that this would have been carried out – or that it would have been successful.

In conclusion I think that on balance it is probably more likely than not that the British and French refusing to back down over the Sudetenland would have been better than the action actually taken. But in saying that I recognise that there are no guarantees and the case for an alternative, and less successful outcome for the Allies, can be made. I have a lot of sympathy for the Western leaders in the 1930’s. I think Chamberlain and Daladier were good men who were dealt a really poor hand but did what they thought was right and for the right reasons. If they ‘screwed up’ it was against that backdrop and they deserve understanding not opprobrium.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 2312
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/25/2017 5:52:11 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

....and how badly Chamberlain screwed things up......but were forced to surrender when France and Britain turned their backs at the last moment.
warspite1

I think that stating ‘how badly Chamberlain screwed things up’ is somewhat unfair. Less so is ‘but were forced to surrender when France and Britain turned their backs at the last moment’, as yes, I think it is fair to say that this was not Britain and France’s finest hour. But having said that, was the situation really that black and white?

Firstly, to suggest someone screwed something up means that, with the benefit of hindsight (and sometimes even without it) it is clear that another, definitely more advantageous decision to a problem could have been taken. I don’t think that is necessarily the case here, and also ignores the situation in Britain and France in those dark days of the late 30’s.

Yes, with hindsight, knowing what actually happened, it is tempting to think about what may have been. But in doing so we cannot know for certain what would have resulted from the British and French drawing a line in the sand over Czechoslovakia rather than Poland.

Firstly, it needs to be acknowledged that both the British and French premiers were leaders of democratic nations – two nations that had suffered hugely in the First World War – and where public opinion mattered. A government’s first responsibility is to its own people and, quite simply, there was no appetite for war in either country. The post war years were incredibly tough with economic depression, mass unemployment and civil strife blighting the landscape – against that backdrop, asking the people of Britain and France to go to war over a country most could not even place on a map was no easy option. The British could not ignore the Dominions either when they made clear that they would not support Britain going to war over Czechoslovakia.

In addition to this of course is the growing support that Germany had over the Treaty of Versailles terms. There was a feeling amongst many at the time that the treaty terms were too harsh. This led to a broad consensus that some of those terms needed to be undone in fairness to the German people and in order to avoid future war. Until Hitler took over the rump Czech state in March 1939, what had been conceded to Germany largely involved territory that was either German or had a majority German population. In other words, for the sake of peace, the democracies were bending over backwards to treat Germany ‘fairly’.

With regard to what was on offer, just about everything was on the table – but what Chamberlain in particular did not understand was that Hitler was not like any ordinary politician; what Hitler wanted was not possible to allow. It is difficult to lay too much blame at Chamberlain’s door for not recognising this given the list of people that Hitler fooled – including the German politicians that put him in power in the first place, a large portion of the German electorate and even Time Magazine which actually pronounced him ‘Man of the Year’ in 1938!

Whatever conclusions are drawn from analysing other options that may have been open to Chamberlain and Daladier, it needs to be understood that these two gentlemen, and their governments, were trying to do the best they could in what were pretty unenviable circumstances. And while it is easy to say now what could or should have happened, the reality is that these were colossally high stakes being played for and both Chamberlain and Daladier need to be cut some slack in that regard.

So having said that, was the decision to give the Sudetenland to Germany the best option open to the Western governments? Well as said – and certainly with hindsight - it was a pretty awful thing as it paved the way for the carve-up of the country. But it’s impossible to know whether an alternative would have been better for certain isn’t it? As soon as the historical path is diverted from, all elements are subject to change.

The argument goes that Chamberlain screwed up because the German Army was weaker in 1938, the Czechoslovak Army was strong (with decent border defences) and there was no German-Soviet agreement. If the Germans struggled to beat the Czechs the Western Allies and maybe the Poles would join forces and attack the Germans from three sides. Maybe too, Hitler is overthrown by the Army and the full horrors of WWII and the holocaust are avoided. Simple.

Maybe things would have panned out differently. For one thing, the German Army was weaker yes – but so were the British and French armies. Having declared war over Poland in 1939, neither was in any state to launch an offensive against the German Army. The plan was therefore to sit behind the Maginot Line and wait. Why would that be any different in 1938 when the British could provide even less of an army? The French army was deficient in many areas in 1940 – it was no better off in 1938. Well the Czechs in 1938 may have been more formidable than the Poles in 1939. Again, maybe. This is not something that can be proved one way or the other, and nor is how the Soviets would have reacted to this unfolding drama. The Soviets could have still come to an agreement with Hitler. Even if not, they could not come to the aid of the Czechs as Poland would never have allowed Soviet soldiers on Polish soil as we know from the pre-war negotiations between the Western Allies and the Soviets in 1939. Whether the Soviets got involved at all therefore cannot be known. Finally there is the tantalising prospect that the German General Staff would have launched a coup the moment Case Green was given the go ahead. Again there is no guarantee that this would have been carried out – or that it would have been successful.

In conclusion I think that on balance it is probably more likely than not that the British and French refusing to back down over the Sudetenland would have been better than the action actually taken. But in saying that I recognise that there are no guarantees and the case for an alternative, and less successful outcome for the Allies, can be made. I have a lot of sympathy for the Western leaders in the 1930’s. I think Chamberlain and Daladier were good men who were dealt a really poor hand but did what they thought was right and for the right reasons. If they ‘screwed up’ it was against that backdrop and they deserve understanding not opprobrium.

Excellent post Robert! A question and a statement for you:
Question: Could you elaborate and/or source, "The British could not ignore the Dominions either when they made clear that they would not support Britain going to war over Czechoslovakia."
Statement: "Time Magazine which actually pronounced him ‘Man of the Year’ in 1938!". Time's 'Man of the Year' does not always translate to 'good or right', it also applies to 'impact (and the like)' to and in the world.

Keep up these posts Robert, absolutely enjoyable and enlightening!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2313
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/25/2017 6:58:16 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Question: Could you elaborate and/or source, "The British could not ignore the Dominions either when they made clear that they would not support Britain going to war over Czechoslovakia."
Statement: "Time Magazine which actually pronounced him ‘Man of the Year’ in 1938!". Time's 'Man of the Year' does not always translate to 'good or right', it also applies to 'impact (and the like)' to and in the world.

warspite1

Patrick there is reference to South Africa and Canada's position in Chamberlain and Appeasement (RAC Parker). That this view was supported by the other Dominions I recall from a TV documentary - but sadly cannot remember which one. I don't think it was The World at War though. If I find it I will let you know.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/25/2017 7:07:41 PM >

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2314
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/25/2017 8:10:04 PM   
Ranger33

warspite1, thank you for the detailed take on the topic! Yes, I was probably a bit too harsh there. As you say, it's difficult to put ourselves in their place, knowing what happened as a result. However, I had always been under the impression that Hitler rolled over all of these minor nations because they were defenseless, but here it was clear that the Germans faced an opponent with teeth. Then all of the other powers came in and pressured Czechoslovakia to surrender, removing a military force that could have threatened Germany otherwise.

In the end though, there is no way of answering what would have happened. Certainly, Hitler shortly proved that he was not afraid of going to war. How long Czechoslovakia could have held out, and whether France and Britain would have taken action in time to make a difference is unknowable. Personally, I doubt that the anti-Hitler generals would have ever launched their coup, despite their later claims.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2315
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/25/2017 8:28:40 PM   
wings7

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Patrick there is reference to South Africa and Canada's position in Chamberlain and Appeasement (RAC Parker). That this view was supported by the other Dominions I recall from a TV documentary - but sadly cannot remember which one. I don't think it was The World at War though. If I find it I will let you know.

Yes if you do find it (TV documentary), please let me know, thanks Robert.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2316
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/25/2017 8:34:13 PM   
demyansk

I just finished a book called "Pleiku" by JD Coleman 1988, Helicopter warfare in Vietnam

Great book along with Hal Moore's books

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2317
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/25/2017 8:38:37 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

warspite1

Still cannot recall the documentary but this fits the bill! An extract from Britain and Empire 1880-1945 (Kennedy)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/25/2017 8:40:27 PM >

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2318
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/25/2017 9:38:17 PM   
barkhorn45

Hitler was furious at chamberlain for appesseing him,he wanted war!
quote:

quote:

warspite1

< Message edited by barkhorn45 -- 3/25/2017 9:39:34 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2319
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/25/2017 9:44:19 PM   
barkhorn45

"The Face of Courage" holders of the knights cross and close combat badge in gold. Florian Berger.
Only 96 men had this distinction

(in reply to barkhorn45)
Post #: 2320
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/25/2017 10:17:42 PM   
Zorch

4 new naval books of note, 2 from each war:

'Securing the Narrow Sea: The Dover Patrol 1914-1918' by Steve R. Dunn.

'The War In The North Sea: The Royal Navy And The Imperial German Navy 1914-1918' by Quintin Barry, 608 pages.

'Doomed Before the Start: The Allied Intervention in Norway 1940. Volume 1: The Road To Invasion and Early Moves' by Niall Cherry.

'The Royal Navy in Eastern Waters: Linchpin of Victory 1935-1942' by Andrew Boyd, a hefty 496 pages.

I haven't read any of them.

(in reply to barkhorn45)
Post #: 2321
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/26/2017 2:10:27 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

'The War In The North Sea: The Royal Navy And The Imperial German Navy 1914-1918' by Quintin Barry, 608 pages.

'Doomed Before the Start: The Allied Intervention in Norway 1940. Volume 1: The Road To Invasion and Early Moves' by Niall Cherry.

'The Royal Navy in Eastern Waters: Linchpin of Victory 1935-1942' by Andrew Boyd, a hefty 496 pages.

warspite1

Of these I currently have the last under review. As you said about the O'Hara book above, I am not sure what there is new to say about WWI naval battles so the first two don't appeal.

Amazon allows you to read some passages from the third on your list. I cannot say I am particularly impressed with the author's style - the sentences are too long and its a bit all over the place. In addition I think Geirr H Haarr's German Invasion of Norway and the Battle for Norway are the last word on that campaign.

And so to the last book on the list. I am interesting in this but I don't really get the premise of the book. 1935-42 seems an odd period to be writing about, and I am really not sure what the author is getting at. Why is this period the 'linchpin of victory'? He is also suggesting that Force Z was not Churchill's fault but the Admiralty's. This flies in the face of what I have read previously, but I am certainly curious to understand why he has come to that conclusion. One 5-star review on Amazon, but that might just be the author! I will continue to monitor this one.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2322
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/26/2017 11:59:49 AM   
wings7

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

warspite1

Still cannot recall the documentary but this fits the bill! An extract from Britain and Empire 1880-1945 (Kennedy)

Thanks Robert!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2323
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/26/2017 12:00:20 PM   
demyansk

quote:

ORIGINAL: barkhorn45

"The Face of Courage" holders of the knights cross and close combat badge in gold. Florian Berger.
Only 96 men had this distinction

I read that book as well

(in reply to barkhorn45)
Post #: 2324
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/26/2017 1:23:03 PM   
demyansk

Just finished Unfit for Command by John O'Neill about traitor Kerry stated by O'Neill book and the 1971 Dick Cavett interview. Check that one out

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4464379/john-kerry-dick-cavett-show

< Message edited by demjansk -- 3/26/2017 11:36:15 PM >

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 2325
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/26/2017 3:29:51 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: demjansk

Just finished Unfit for Command by John O'Neill about traitor Kerry.

I'd be careful who you call "traitor"...the author(s) (John E. O'Neill and Jerome Corsi) of this book are quite controversial.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 2326
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/26/2017 11:32:38 PM   
demyansk

Maybe use quotes of what O'Neill stated. Good book to read though

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2327
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/27/2017 7:53:12 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Just finished reading "Men on Strike by Helen Smith. Now reading, "Red Phoenix" by Larry Bond.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 2328
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/27/2017 11:26:05 PM   
demyansk

Reading
Blood In The Water about the Attica prison uprising in 1971, 2016, this book is good, out of the library by Heather Thompson

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 2329
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/28/2017 2:12:16 PM   
Chickenboy

Just finished Caliban's War, the third book in The Expanse series. The SyFy series is integrating the first and second books' worth of materials into the plotline-it's interesting to keep ahead of it by a bit.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 2330
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/28/2017 6:05:19 PM   
Kuokkanen

I've bought & read first volume of Konosuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! It's not yet available for Kindle, so I bought it from iTunes instead and read it with iBooks app on my iPhone 4 (NOT available for Windows). 16 years old Japanese dies, he meets a girl claiming to be a goddess, and this girl asks Japanese to save a fantasy world from demon king. Goddess lets guy choose one thing to take along with him to fantasy world. Guy chooses goddess, and off they go. So guy has great expectations for a great adventure in fantasy world along with powerful goddess like in JRPGames he's very familiar with. Light novel even has number of RPG terminology which would fit perfectly to tutorial in RPG video game. Then reality kicks his ass, hard, and hilarity ensues. Light novel parodies fantasy (game) cliches with a style. Though there are some comical monsters (giant toads larger than a cow, flying cabbage), main focus of the ridicule are the characters, many of them with (TV Tropes warning!) crippling overspecialization. One of the characters explain it as this:
quote:

"Nope. Not to brag, but I have high HP and Strength. If I were able to actually hit monsters most of the time, I might defeat them before they ever got a chance to hit me in return. I could hold back and let them attack me on purpose, but...it's not the same. It's like...to go in there swinging my sword as hard as I can, but it's just not enough, and they overpower me...that feels so good, you know?"

Male lead sums it up:
quote:

My party can't be this dysfunctional.

Anime adaptation is pretty close match. However, anime left out some things, like first meeting with Wiz. Anime introduces Wiz in her store with some short reference about main characters meeting her up earlier. Light novel has that first meeting in good detail. However, light novel details fight against flying cabbage... without much detail, while anime uses good number of minutes on it. It means there is a good reason to read the light novels even if you have seen the anime already. Though some details are little different, there are no significant conflicts between the 2 medias, and going through both of them gives you the whole story bigger, longer & uncut.

I also bought manga by mistake (didn't expect that to be available for iBooks). It is clearly the bottom performer, cutting off several scenes and shortening others. I suppose it could be used to introduce the franchise to your friends in shorter order than anime episode. If you get it on paper or on iPad (iPhone's screen is too damn small). Otherwise I can't recommend it.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2331
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/31/2017 5:08:22 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Has anyone read Sweden, the Swastika and Stalin? It looks interesting and has good write-ups on Amazon. Anyone read it? Thoughts?
warspite1

I'll take that as a no

Anyways, I purchased this and looking forward to this (maybe bedtime reading?). However, at the moment I am still very much in Western Front mode. I read Sebag-Montefiore's Dunkirk when I was on holiday about 6 years ago.

As such, with other distractions, I am not sure I gave it the attention it deserved. So, as much as I hate re-reading books, I thought I would give this another go.

Wow! I am really glad I did - particularly as its hot on the heels of other books on the subject - and so gives another opinion on what happened in the fateful weeks in May 1940.

It's absolutely riveting stuff. Recommended and back again.
warspite1

I must say I'm finding Sweden, the Swastika and Stalin a little heavy going at the moment. Not exactly riveting reading, but then the first chapter or so has been an introduction to people I've never even heard of combined with the fact that the author does not have the most interesting of writing styles.

Let's hope it improves......

warspite1

......well it has

Interesting stuff now that he has left the personalities and got to the actual war

warspite1

Just coming to the end of this now and I am really pleased I persevered. After the war the general Swedish view of WWII and their role was seen as positive. A few books came out that sought to drive a coach and horses through that thought process.

The author undertakes a further reappraisal of Sweden's WWII history and makes the case that the initial view was the correct one.

The book is especially interesting because I have been kicking around for sometime now in my own mind, the question of whether neutrality in WWII (as opposed to WWI for example) was justified under any circumstances, if so what circumstances and if not why not?

A thought provoking read and one that I would like to know more about.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2332
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/31/2017 6:32:47 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

Sweden, the Swastika and Stalin

Can you tell something about contents of the book? Does Swastika refer to Germany, or to Eric von Rosen, or to Finnish Air Force?

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 3/31/2017 6:33:10 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2333
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/31/2017 8:23:19 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

Can you tell something about contents of the book? Does Swastika refer to Germany, or to Eric von Rosen, or to Finnish Air Force?
warspite1

The book is all about Sweden in the years 1939-45. In particular the book focuses on Sweden's determination to remain neutral, even after she became 'surrounded' following the conquest of Norway and Finland joining Germany. In its most interesting chapters, the book describes the trade agreements with Germany and the Allies, the concessions that Germany sought from Sweden e.g. transit of troops to Norway and Finland. The book also brings out Sweden's reliance upon Germany for essential imports at this time and the provision of 'Safe Conduct Traffic' to allow for key imports from the west (particularly oil). The book also brings out the pressures that the Allies brought to bear on Sweden.

The book looks at Sweden's position in respect of Norway/Denmark but also Finland, and the ever present threat from the East, the Soviet Union.

There are also chapters on the Home Front, Security, Propaganda and Censorship, the Military position.

I hope that is helpful.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/1/2017 6:23:22 AM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 2334
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/1/2017 4:48:31 AM   
cpdeyoung

Sirius

by Jonathan Crown.

A tale of a dog who has many adventures in Germany, Hollywood, and Germany again during the years 1938-1945. I had fun every minute with this book, but I am a sucker for dogs. I am an old guy and I liked it a lot, but I think a teen would really like it too.

I did not find a blooper in any of the WW2 stuff. The author knows his stuff, or did his research.

It is a quick read, and much lighter than most books reviewed here.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2335
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/1/2017 7:41:57 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

warspite1

Of these I currently have the last under review. As you said about the O'Hara book above, I am not sure what there is new to say about WWI naval battles so the first two don't appeal.

Amazon allows you to read some passages from the third on your list. I cannot say I am particularly impressed with the author's style - the sentences are too long and its a bit all over the place. In addition I think Geirr H Haarr's German Invasion of Norway and the Battle for Norway are the last word on that campaign.

And so to the last book on the list. I am interesting in this but I don't really get the premise of the book. 1935-42 seems an odd period to be writing about, and I am really not sure what the author is getting at. Why is this period the 'linchpin of victory'? He is also suggesting that Force Z was not Churchill's fault but the Admiralty's. This flies in the face of what I have read previously, but I am certainly curious to understand why he has come to that conclusion. One 5-star review on Amazon, but that might just be the author! I will continue to monitor this one.

warspite1

Well, with no obvious worthwhile books on the Western Front to go for, I've taken a chance on the last book on that list

The Royal Navy in Eastern Waters: Linchpin of Victory 1935-1942
(Boyd)

I've not yet finished the first chapter and boy, am I glad I bought this! So far, very thought provoking, and extremely well written, it definitely looks at the RN between the wars through a different lens than most recent works. I do not agree with a few things - but will wait and see where he goes with those - but he certainly challenges the 'accepted' view of the service during the period.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/1/2017 8:34:23 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2336
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/2/2017 7:13:11 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

The book is all about Sweden in the years 1939-45. In particular the book focuses on Sweden's determination to remain neutral, even after she became 'surrounded' following the conquest of Norway and Finland joining Germany. In its most interesting chapters, the book describes the trade agreements with Germany and the Allies, the concessions that Germany sought from Sweden e.g. transit of troops to Norway and Finland. The book also brings out Sweden's reliance upon Germany for essential imports at this time and the provision of 'Safe Conduct Traffic' to allow for key imports from the west (particularly oil). The book also brings out the pressures that the Allies brought to bear on Sweden.

The book looks at Sweden's position in respect of Norway/Denmark but also Finland, and the ever present threat from the East, the Soviet Union.

There are also chapters on the Home Front, Security, Propaganda and Censorship, the Military position.

I hope that is helpful.

warspite1

Well perhaps it was, perhaps it wasn't.... we'll never know

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2337
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/3/2017 3:31:43 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I hope that is helpful.

warspite1

Well perhaps it was, perhaps it wasn't.... we'll never know

Wut?

MekWars

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2338
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/5/2017 2:14:15 AM   
Mike Dubost

All of the recent posts about Munich made me go back and dig up Failure of a Mission by Sir Neville Henderson (the UK ambassador to Germany at the time). I bought the e book a few years ago. It makes very interesting reading. It is definitely not the standard perspective/received wisdom on the events. Yeah, as a memoir, it can't be called unbiased, but so what? You know what you're getting.

He was clearly a believer in Appeasement. I think it really was from an honest devotion to diplomacy and a fear of Communism, not a devotion to Fascism. In any event, the book does give you his views on the issues.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2339
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/5/2017 8:20:56 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Dubost

All of the recent posts about Munich made me go back and dig up Failure of a Mission by Sir Neville Henderson (the UK ambassador to Germany at the time). I bought the e book a few years ago. It makes very interesting reading. It is definitely not the standard perspective/received wisdom on the events. Yeah, as a memoir, it can't be called unbiased, but so what? You know what you're getting.

He was clearly a believer in Appeasement. I think it really was from an honest devotion to diplomacy and a fear of Communism, not a devotion to Fascism. In any event, the book does give you his views on the issues.
warspite1

I don't think that a charge of 'devotion to fascism' has ever been directed at anyone in the British or French government circles that were responsible for pursuing an appeasement policy. The path of appeasement was more about doing whatever was necessary to avoid another war - particularly so given the all too recent memories of the trenches and the ruinous war that led to the slaughter of so many young Frenchmen and those from the Commonwealth.

(in reply to Mike Dubost)
Post #: 2340
Page:   <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI